PDA

View Full Version : Re: £750 to spend on a laptop - recommendations pleas

Psychocaveman
June 22nd 03, 04:19 PM
Although PC World are usually over priced, and the staff know F*^k All about
anything in there, this Laptop is quite reasonable.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/store/martprd.dll/store/[email protected]
&p
age=Product&sku=898412

Psychocaveman
June 22nd 03, 04:30 PM
Sorry, even this link.....copy and paste if not clickable

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/store/martprd.dll/store/[email protected]
&p
age=Product&sku=898412

Psychocaveman
June 22nd 03, 04:35 PM
Type in this in the 'Search PC World' box, top right hand corner

MEDION 2592

www.pcworld.co.uk

Get there in the end....

Mark Gillespie
June 23rd 03, 12:04 AM
On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 11:01:59 GMT, Paulo De Souza
> wrote:

>> Unfortunately she has no choice. She works on a mobile project and has
>> have a laptop to take around to her clients ................
>
> A real nice work laptop is the apple ibook. Its nice enouth and looks
> great.
> Clients will be impressed! :-) Tho it £800 for the cheapest spec but if
> its
> just for work its fine.
> Paulo

But it's a apple, and limited in what it can do and how it exhanges it's
data with the rest of the world. If you need it soley for word
processing/presentations/email/web then fine, otherwise get a PC based
laptop.

Mark Gillespie
June 23rd 03, 12:05 AM
On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 15:19:53 +0100, Psychocaveman
> wrote:

> Although PC World are usually over priced, and the staff know F*^k All
> about
> anything in there, this Laptop is quite reasonable.

No it's not, it's a PCWorld own brand crap. Why buy a laptop crammed full
of cheapo components when you can get a proper one for the same price? You
can get some nice branded laptops for £800.

George
June 23rd 03, 12:32 AM
In article <[email protected]>, says...
> On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 11:01:59 GMT, Paulo De Souza=20
> > wrote:
>=20
> >

> >> Unfortunately she has no choice. She works on a mobile project and has=
=20
> >> have a laptop to take around to her clients ................
> >
> > A real nice work laptop is the apple ibook. Its nice enouth and looks=
=20
> > great.
> > Clients will be impressed! :-) Tho it =A3800 for the cheapest spec but =
if=20
> > its
> > just for work its fine.
> > Paulo
> >
>=20
> But it's a apple, and limited in what it can do and how it exhanges it's=
=20
> data with the rest of the world. If you need it soley for word=20
> processing/presentations/email/web then fine, otherwise get a PC based=20
> laptop.

I doubt there's anything a PC based laptop can do that an Apple one=20
can't. I prefer Windows though so I would stick with the former.

--=20
Remove N0_SPAM_PLEAZE to email
It's a spring thing
http://www.hookeslaw.com

essdeekay
June 23rd 03, 10:46 AM
In article <[email protected]>, says...
> No it's not, it's a PCWorld own brand crap.

Don't spout rubbish. It's not own brand as plenty of other people have
bought Medion laptops from the likes of Aldi, Lidl etc - not just the
Dixons Stores Group.

Plus, their support service is meant to be rather good - compared to the
likes of Sony who tend to treat their Vaio laptop customers like dirt,
Medion stand out as being pretty commendable.

--
Seb

June 23rd 03, 10:52 AM
Ramases wrote:
> My wife has £750 to spend on a new laptop. Does anyone out there know of
> any great bargains on current good-spec machines ?
>
> --
> <<<Watch out for the spamtrap >>>

I've been looking to spend £600 or less on a laptop and there are quite
a few about (see pricerunner.com) but unless you know something about
laptops (which I don't) you could be knackered.

For example, someone at work just got the Compaq evo n1015v at £586 inc.
Has athlon 1.7, 128MB ram, 10GB hd, dvd, 14.1 screen. Looks nice,
someone at work has one and it seems fine. However, the graphics memory
is shared (so you only have 112MB which is a bit low on XP) and not that
much expansion capability.

In the end, I've been so confused by all the different specs that I've
just given up for the moment.

Mark Gillespie
June 23rd 03, 08:47 PM
On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 23:32:23 +0100, George
> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, says...

>> has >> to
>> >
>> > A real nice work laptop is the apple ibook. Its nice enouth and looks
>> > great.
>> > Clients will be impressed! :-) Tho it £800 for the cheapest spec but
>> if > its
>> > just for work its fine.
>> > Paulo
>> >

>> But it's a apple, and limited in what it can do and how it exhanges it's
>> data with the rest of the world. If you need it soley for word
>> processing/presentations/email/web then fine, otherwise get a PC based
>> laptop.
>
> I doubt there's anything a PC based laptop can do that an Apple one
> can't. I prefer Windows though so I would stick with the former.

I can think of plenty. I use my laptop for technical apps and diagnostic
software, and guess what it only runs on Windows. If you do anything
outside write docs/send emails/surf web then a mac is not for you...

Ricky
June 25th 03, 12:06 PM
I have some bargain, second user laptops for sale.
some with DVD.
let me know if you are interested, prices start from £249
If I have offended you with this posting I do apologize.

Cheers,
Ricky
"Ramases" > wrote in message
> My wife has £750 to spend on a new laptop. Does anyone out there know of
> any great bargains on current good-spec machines ?
>
> --
> <<<Watch out for the spamtrap >>>

Google