PDA

View Full Version : WD 120GB Hard Drives on eBay a couple of weeks ago.

Gary
June 24th 03, 06:17 PM
Hi

Has anybody (that ordered one) received their Hard Drive ordered via eBay.
A link was posted to an auction for a 120GB WD 8Mb Cache Hard Drive a couple
of weeks ago.

--
Gary
SPAMTRAP : Please delete "NOSPAM" to reply via email

Alex
June 24th 03, 07:37 PM
"Gary" > wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Has anybody (that ordered one) received their Hard Drive ordered via eBay.
> A link was posted to an auction for a 120GB WD 8Mb Cache Hard Drive a
couple
> of weeks ago.
>
> --

I didn't order one but was going to, along with a 2500+ Barton CPU for £65
and a stick of 512Mb PC2700 for £40... I went along to buy them and found
that the guy had ended all of his auctions early...

All of his previous feedback was fine but the most recent couple of comments
said he was unable to deliver the goods but offered a refund... seems a bit
dodgy nonetheless especially at those prices. It'd be good to know if you
get them though, keep us posted :)

~A~

Gary
June 24th 03, 08:42 PM
Alex wrote:
> All of his previous feedback was fine but the most recent couple of
comments
> said he was unable to deliver the goods but offered a refund... seems a
bit
> dodgy nonetheless especially at those prices. It'd be good to know if you
> get them though, keep us posted :)

I sent him an email yesterday, of which is reply was that he had despatched
them via royal mail second class post and to contact him at the end of the
week if I had not received them for a full refund or another delivery.
Fingers crossed eh? :-)
--
Gary
SPAMTRAP : Please delete "NOSPAM" to reply via email

Brownie
June 25th 03, 07:58 AM
"Gary" > wrote in message
> Alex wrote:
> > All of his previous feedback was fine but the most recent couple of
> comments
> > said he was unable to deliver the goods but offered a refund... seems a
> bit
> > dodgy nonetheless especially at those prices. It'd be good to know if
you
> > get them though, keep us posted :)
>
> I sent him an email yesterday, of which is reply was that he had
despatched
> them via royal mail second class post and to contact him at the end of the
> week if I had not received them for a full refund or another delivery.
> Fingers crossed eh? :-)

If they are not recorded or Special Delivery it seems a bit reckless
considering the value involved.

Daniel
June 25th 03, 09:05 AM
"Brownie" > wrote in message

> "Gary" > wrote in message
> > Alex wrote:
> > I sent him an email yesterday, of which is reply was that he had
> despatched
> > them via royal mail second class post and to contact him at the end of
the
> > week if I had not received them for a full refund or another delivery.
> > Fingers crossed eh? :-)
>
> If they are not recorded or Special Delivery it seems a bit reckless
> considering the value involved.

I must agree about Special Delivery. Not Recorded though, as this offers no
benefit in terms of insurance compared to standard first/second class post.

Daniel

Adam Lipscombe
June 25th 03, 02:01 PM
Hmmm, No I have not...

I complained to the vendor who said it had been posted on the 20th. He said
if it had not been delivered by today I should let mhim know.

Not good hey?

Cheers - Adam

"Gary" > wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Has anybody (that ordered one) received their Hard Drive ordered via eBay.
> A link was posted to an auction for a 120GB WD 8Mb Cache Hard Drive a
couple
> of weeks ago.
>
> --
> Gary
> SPAMTRAP : Please delete "NOSPAM" to reply via email

JJ
June 25th 03, 05:03 PM
> If they are not recorded or Special Delivery it seems a bit reckless
> considering the value involved.

Even then RM are hard to claim from. Their new policy as I found out last
week, requires more proof you bought the item to start with. Before, you had
to send proof of posting plus a valuation. Now they want a copy of your bank
statement or credit card statement to prove you actually bought the item to
start with.
A pain for anything bought with cash!
JJ

Matt S
June 26th 03, 01:23 AM
"JJ" > wrote in message
> > If they are not recorded or Special Delivery it seems a bit reckless
> > considering the value involved.
>
> Even then RM are hard to claim from. Their new policy as I found out last
> week, requires more proof you bought the item to start with. Before, you
had
> to send proof of posting plus a valuation. Now they want a copy of your
bank
> statement or credit card statement to prove you actually bought the item
> start with.
> A pain for anything bought with cash!

Personally, I don't find that unreasonable in the slightest. If you purchase
something using cash then you can still ask for a receipt and that will be
adequate.

Unless you are buying stolen goods of course....

JJ
June 26th 03, 04:34 AM
"Matt S" > wrote in message

> "JJ" > wrote in message
> > > If they are not recorded or Special Delivery it seems a bit reckless
> > > considering the value involved.
> >
> > Even then RM are hard to claim from. Their new policy as I found out
last
> > week, requires more proof you bought the item to start with. Before, you
> had
> > to send proof of posting plus a valuation. Now they want a copy of your
> bank
> > statement or credit card statement to prove you actually bought the item
> > start with.
> > A pain for anything bought with cash!
>
> Personally, I don't find that unreasonable in the slightest. If you
purchase
> something using cash then you can still ask for a receipt and that will be
> adequate.
>
> Unless you are buying stolen goods of course....

Very unreasonable IMO. I have bought over £3000 of books in the past 10
years from my local Christian bookstore and their receipts are only teeny so
I've never bothered to take them. Do you keep every single receipt going
back years? I certainly don't.

Consider this scenario. If you buy from a Cash & Carry, sell for a profit
(as I used to with games - packs of 10 at a time), and the purchase price
was £5 and you sold for £10. Now, the software was lost. You have to refund
the £10 plus any postage charged. RM will only refund the purchased price
and not the postage you paid to send the item either. So, you paid £5, say
£2 P&P making £7. You charged £10 plus £2 P&P making it £12.
RM give you back £5. Take this from the £12 and you're now £7 out-of-pocket
for RM's mess-up!
JJ

Merger
June 27th 03, 06:42 AM
May be slightly off the particular topic, but picked 2 up for £65 each (IBM
/ Hitachi 120GB Deskstar) from Bowlers, Manchester last Saturday. Trader has
"a shop full of them"... could dig his card out if anybody's interested ?

"Kez" > wrote in message
> Adam Lipscombe wrote:
> > Hmmm, No I have not...
> >
> > I complained to the vendor who said it had been posted on the 20th.
> > He said if it had not been delivered by today I should let mhim know.
> >
> > Not good hey?
> >

> > Cheers - Adam
> >

> > "Gary" > wrote in message
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> Has anybody (that ordered one) received their Hard Drive ordered via
> >> eBay. A link was posted to an auction for a 120GB WD 8Mb Cache Hard
> >> Drive a couple of weeks ago.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Gary
> >> SPAMTRAP : Please delete "NOSPAM" to reply via email
>
> good job i never went through with the two i wanted, then :-(

Ian Hastie
June 27th 03, 10:33 PM
On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 03:34:10 +0100, JJ wrote:

> Consider this scenario. If you buy from a Cash & Carry, sell for a
> profit (as I used to with games - packs of 10 at a time), and the
> purchase price was £5 and you sold for £10. Now, the software was
> lost. You have to refund the £10 plus any postage charged. RM will only
> refund the purchased price and not the postage you paid to send the item
> either. So, you paid £5, say £2 P&P making £7. You charged £10 plus
> £2 P&P making it £12. RM give you back £5. Take this from the £12
> and you're now £7 out-of-pocket for RM's mess-up!

OK, so you actually lose £2, which is the cost of the postage. I agree
that RM should pay back the cost of postage, but why should they be
responsible for lost profit? It's not as if you aren't going to sell the
replacement goods that you buy with the compensation money.

--
Ian.

EOM

Google