PDA

View Full Version : Re: DVD Writers

Mike Swift
June 30th 03, 02:54 AM
"Craig Bates" > wrote in message
> I'm on the lookout for a nice DVD writer (-r/rw format). The best so far
> has been from bigpockets (pioneer 105). Anyone have anymore
> reccomendations? I would really love to have it before the middle of this
> week. The price range I'm looking for is around £150 or less and wouldn't
> mind a few discs thrown in with that too :)
>
> Regards,
>
> Craig
> http://www.digibeat.co.uk
> Coming Soon

Hi Craig

Sorry for the ?
I have only ever had a cdwr. What is the benefit of a DVD writer? Do they
store more info on them?

thanks in advance M

Kez
June 30th 03, 10:30 AM
Craig Bates wrote:
> I'm on the lookout for a nice DVD writer (-r/rw format). The best so
> far has been from bigpockets (pioneer 105). Anyone have anymore
> reccomendations? I would really love to have it before the middle of
> this week. The price range I'm looking for is around £150 or less
> and wouldn't mind a few discs thrown in with that too :)
>
> Regards,
>
> Craig
> http://www.digibeat.co.uk
> Coming Soon

i've been looking for the best deal. ended up ordering from bigpockets
yesterday.

pioneer 105, 25 datawrite 4x red-tops, 240 disc case, cd pens, and 50
datasafe silver cdr discs.

delivered for £143.91

you can also get the pioneer 105 from lynxdvd.co.uk, but it works out more
expensive with shipping, plus i wasn't too sure about the media quality.
bigpockets offer a guarantee on the datawrite red-tops

Kez
June 30th 03, 10:33 AM
Brownie wrote:
> "Craig Bates" > wrote in message
>> I'm on the lookout for a nice DVD writer (-r/rw format). The best
>> so far has been from bigpockets (pioneer 105). Anyone have anymore
>> reccomendations? I would really love to have it before the middle
>> of this week. The price range I'm looking for is around £150 or
>> less and wouldn't mind a few discs thrown in with that too :)
>
> Presumably you missed out when the Pioneer 105 was 95 at Big Pockets
> - then several days at 100 (give or take a few pence)? SVP are doing
> them now at 115... I'm waiting, I'd like a multi-format writer and
> they will only get cheaper. Rumours are that Lite-on are about to
> enter the market and that may help prices down. Big pockets have a
> multi-format writer around your price range.
>
> I'm in no rush, it's only represents a saving of a few CD's for me at
> the moment unlike that leap of getting a CD writer for the first time.

£99 inc VAT at bigpockets. they just got 17 more in, although i ordered one
of them, yesterday ;-)

Craig Bates
June 30th 03, 11:20 AM
"Kez" > wrote in message
> i've been looking for the best deal. ended up ordering from bigpockets
> yesterday.
>
> pioneer 105, 25 datawrite 4x red-tops, 240 disc case, cd pens, and 50
> datasafe silver cdr discs.
>
> delivered for £143.91
>
> you can also get the pioneer 105 from lynxdvd.co.uk, but it works out more
> expensive with shipping, plus i wasn't too sure about the media quality.
> bigpockets offer a guarantee on the datawrite red-tops

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm not sure whether to wait or not. My
old cd writer is on it's way out so thought I might as well splash out for a
dvd writer for the extra money. Quite guted abotu those 105's, must've been
at work when they put them back on sale!

Regards,

Craig Bates
http://www.digibeat.co.uk
Coming soon

Kez
June 30th 03, 03:43 PM
Craig Bates wrote:
> "Kez" > wrote in message
>> i've been looking for the best deal. ended up ordering from
>> bigpockets yesterday.
>>
>> pioneer 105, 25 datawrite 4x red-tops, 240 disc case, cd pens, and 50
>> datasafe silver cdr discs.
>>
>> delivered for £143.91
>>
>> you can also get the pioneer 105 from lynxdvd.co.uk, but it works
>> out more expensive with shipping, plus i wasn't too sure about the
>> media quality. bigpockets offer a guarantee on the datawrite red-tops
>>

> Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm not sure whether to wait or not.
> My old cd writer is on it's way out so thought I might as well splash
> out for a dvd writer for the extra money. Quite guted abotu those
> 105's, must've been at work when they put them back on sale!
>
> Regards,
>
> Craig Bates
> http://www.digibeat.co.uk
> Coming soon

i know what you mean. went through the order process on friday, then changed
my mind.

went back on saturday, and they'd all gone - gutted.

luckily i managed to get in yesterday, when they were back.

looks like they're out of stock again, now, though

Mark Gillespie
June 30th 03, 08:36 PM
> Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm not sure whether to wait or not.

Don't wait, the stock of 105 is finate, and as soon as the stock runs out,
the next Pioneer (the 106) is £169, which a alot more, for what basically
an identical spec writer (OK's it supports +R/RW but who uses that..). You
can get a Pioneer 105 now for £99, but if the stock runs out, you won't get
nothing but crap like NEC's for £99.

As for the Redtop datawrites, stay clear, the have serious batch quality
control problems. 1 box maybe OK, the next box ****. I have even seen the
red datawrites breaking up in drives.. Stick with the Ritek G04's they
cost more, but MUCH better.

Craig Bates
June 30th 03, 10:00 PM
"Mark Gillespie" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> > Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm not sure whether to wait or not.
>
> Don't wait, the stock of 105 is finate, and as soon as the stock runs out,
> the next Pioneer (the 106) is £169, which a alot more, for what basically
> an identical spec writer (OK's it supports +R/RW but who uses that..).
You
> can get a Pioneer 105 now for £99, but if the stock runs out, you won't
get
> nothing but crap like NEC's for £99.
>
> As for the Redtop datawrites, stay clear, the have serious batch quality
> control problems. 1 box maybe OK, the next box ****. I have even seen
the
> red datawrites breaking up in drives.. Stick with the Ritek G04's they
> cost more, but MUCH better.

Yeah, heard about the datawrite's on a few forums. So has anyone seen any
good deals for 105s online. I would love to have one this week. Don't mind
paying a little more and would love to have info on any good deals (free
dvdrs) on them going round.

Dave White
June 30th 03, 10:39 PM
> Sorry for the ?
> I have only ever had a cdwr. What is the benefit of a DVD writer? Do they
> store more info on them?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You do know that there's a new medium called DVD don't you?!?!?!?

Only joshin with ya - I thought all and sundry knew the benefit of DVD.

Mark Gillespie
June 30th 03, 11:39 PM
> Yeah, heard about the datawrite's on a few forums. So has anyone seen
> any
> good deals for 105s online. I would love to have one this week. Don't
> mind
> paying a little more and would love to have info on any good deals (free
> dvdrs) on them going round.

How much better of a deal can you get than £99 for a 4x Pioneer writer?

I sold my A04 for 80 and got one. Nice cheap upgrade....

Mark Gillespie
June 30th 03, 11:47 PM
On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 07:06:32 +0100, Brownie >
wrote:

> "Craig Bates" > wrote in message
>> I'm on the lookout for a nice DVD writer (-r/rw format). The best so
>> far
>> has been from bigpockets (pioneer 105). Anyone have anymore
>> reccomendations? I would really love to have it before the middle of
>> this
>> week. The price range I'm looking for is around £150 or less and
>> wouldn't
>> mind a few discs thrown in with that too :)
>
> Presumably you missed out when the Pioneer 105 was 95 at Big Pockets -
> then
> several days at 100 (give or take a few pence)? SVP are doing them now
> at
> 115...

Can you see a patern here, as supply dries up, they are upping the price...

I'm waiting, I'd like a multi-format writer and they will only
> get
> cheaper.

Not in the short term. There is no real benefit to a multi-format drive.
Everyone I know with one, burns DVD-R anyway, so they may as well saved
their dosh and bought a DVD-R drive. +R media is more expensive and less
compatible...

Mark Gillespie
July 1st 03, 12:10 AM

> i've been looking for the best deal. ended up ordering from bigpockets
> yesterday.
>
> pioneer 105, 25 datawrite 4x red-tops,

There have been major problems with this media, some big quality control
problems, and reports of the disks breaking up in the drives. That's why
they are only 89p. You might get lucky and have a good box thou...

Craig Bates
July 1st 03, 01:02 AM
"Mark Gillespie" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> > Yeah, heard about the datawrite's on a few forums. So has anyone seen
> > any
> > good deals for 105s online. I would love to have one this week. Don't
> > mind
> > paying a little more and would love to have info on any good deals (free
> > dvdrs) on them going round.
> >

> How much better of a deal can you get than £99 for a 4x Pioneer writer?
>
> I sold my A04 for 80 and got one. Nice cheap upgrade....

I don't see myself getting a better price than £99 BUT I can't see them
getting stock in anytime soon. Looks like i'll probably get it from SVP
Tomorrow unless something better turns up :)

Regards,

Craig Bates
http://www.digibeat.co.uk
Coming Soon

Mark Kelly
July 1st 03, 01:55 AM
On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 22:47:00 +0100, Mark Gillespie
> wrote:

>On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 07:06:32 +0100, Brownie >
>wrote:
>

>> "Craig Bates" > wrote in message
>>> I'm on the lookout for a nice DVD writer (-r/rw format). The best so
>>> far
>>> has been from bigpockets (pioneer 105). Anyone have anymore
>>> reccomendations? I would really love to have it before the middle of
>>> this
>>> week. The price range I'm looking for is around £150 or less and
>>> wouldn't
>>> mind a few discs thrown in with that too :)
>>
>> Presumably you missed out when the Pioneer 105 was 95 at Big Pockets -
>> then
>> several days at 100 (give or take a few pence)? SVP are doing them now
>> at
>> 115...
>
>Can you see a patern here, as supply dries up, they are upping the price...
>

>I'm waiting, I'd like a multi-format writer and they will only
>> get
>> cheaper.
>
>Not in the short term. There is no real benefit to a multi-format drive.
>Everyone I know with one, burns DVD-R anyway, so they may as well saved
>their dosh and bought a DVD-R drive. +R media is more expensive and less
>compatible...

I thought the + was actually more compatible and have other features
like do not have to finalize which you have to on -.. The advantage
of minus is as you said the disc price.

Kez
July 1st 03, 10:05 AM
Mark Gillespie wrote:
>> i've been looking for the best deal. ended up ordering from
>> bigpockets yesterday.
>>
>> pioneer 105, 25 datawrite 4x red-tops,
>
> There have been major problems with this media, some big quality
> control problems, and reports of the disks breaking up in the drives.
> That's why they are only 89p. You might get lucky and have a good
> box thou...

they're guaranteed, though, so if they're crap, they're going back, and i'll
use bulkpaq orange :-)

Tan Coul
July 1st 03, 07:26 PM
On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 19:36:28 +0100, Mark Gillespie
> wrote:

>> Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm not sure whether to wait or not.
>
>Don't wait, the stock of 105 is finate, and as soon as the stock runs out,
>the next Pioneer (the 106) is £169, which a alot more, for what basically
>an identical spec writer (OK's it supports +R/RW but who uses that..). You
>can get a Pioneer 105 now for £99, but if the stock runs out, you won't get
>nothing but crap like NEC's for £99.
>
>As for the Redtop datawrites, stay clear, the have serious batch quality
>control problems. 1 box maybe OK, the next box ****. I have even seen the
>red datawrites breaking up in drives.. Stick with the Ritek G04's they
>cost more, but MUCH better.

Thanks for that info, was wondering why my box of Reds were fine when
everyone was dissing them so much, guess I just got lucky - will order
Riteks next time to be safe :-)
--
www.oscartelos.co.uk
The best Chester Zoo photo website ever made by a cat (probably.)

Mark Gillespie
July 1st 03, 08:30 PM
On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 23:55:18 GMT, Mark Kelly
> wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 22:47:00 +0100, Mark Gillespie
> > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 07:06:32 +0100, Brownie >
>> wrote:

>>> Presumably you missed out when the Pioneer 105 was 95 at Big Pockets -
>>> then
>>> several days at 100 (give or take a few pence)? SVP are doing them now
>>> at
>>> 115...
>>
>> Can you see a patern here, as supply dries up, they are upping the
>> price...
>>

>> I'm waiting, I'd like a multi-format writer and they will only
>>> get
>>> cheaper.
>>
>> Not in the short term. There is no real benefit to a multi-format
>> drive. Everyone I know with one, burns DVD-R anyway, so they may as
>> well saved their dosh and bought a DVD-R drive. +R media is more
>> expensive and less compatible...
>
> I thought the + was actually more compatible

This is not true in real world tests, spread across typical players. The
results that the +R DVDAlliance use are frigged somewhat. Realworld it's
90% for DVD-R and about 75% for DVD+R (both RW formats are about the same
down at about 60%)

and have other features
> like do not have to finalize which you have to on -..

I pretty sure that this only applies for certain data types. for example,
DVD-R is perfectly happy with unfinalised disks for data in most DVD-ROM
drives. DVD+R does support the Mount Rainier standard, but it has no real
world value at this moment in time. DVD+R group also make a big deal about
how Microsoft is onboard with them, but "forget" to mention Microsoft has
been supporting the DVD-R format for many years!!!

The advantage
> of minus is as you said the disc price.

The whole format was is fulll of bull**** and hype, from both sides...
TRUST NOBODY... :-)