PDA

View Full Version : Re: Asda thick sliced bacon

RMS
June 30th 03, 10:53 PM
"Tony Wright" > wrote in message
> Being fed up the ultra thin bacon that is usually sold, I decided to buy
> some thick sliced bacon [1] from Asda. I ended up not buying it, 250g of
> unsmoked back bacon is 1.38p, 250g of thick sliced is 1.78p. How the
> heck can they charge 40p extra for cutting it thicker?
>
> [1] Looking at it, it seems to be more like normal sliced was about 15
> years ago.
>
> --
>
> Tony Wright

I got a tip from a retired butcher years ago - if you want thick sliced but
only have thin, just grill or fry two rashers together. It tends to stick
together and make 'one' thick slice.

Robin.

RMS
June 30th 03, 11:53 PM
"Gavin Gillespie" > wrote in message

> "Tony Wright" > wrote in message
> > Being fed up the ultra thin bacon that is usually sold, I decided to buy
> > some thick sliced bacon [1] from Asda. I ended up not buying it, 250g of
> > unsmoked back bacon is 1.38p, 250g of thick sliced is 1.78p. How the
> > heck can they charge 40p extra for cutting it thicker?
> >

> It's not for slicing it thicker, it's for stitching two slices together.
>
> PS The trick of frying two slices together never worked for me.
> --
> Gavin Gillespie
> Nottingham UK
> www.Giltbrook.co.uk
> www.LawrencesEastwood.co.uk

Works for me when grilling - haven't tried frying (doc's orders! :o)

Robin.

Tenex
July 1st 03, 09:49 AM
Tony Wright wrote:

> [1] Looking at it, it seems to be more like normal sliced was about 15
> years ago.

Plus ca change...

Amazing how French "farmhouse" loaves taste like the standard UK British
white loaf of my childhood ...

Andy
July 1st 03, 07:56 PM
Gavin Gillespie wrote:

> It's not for slicing it thicker, it's for stitching two slices
> together.

You want thick bacon? I have a secret, though keep it to yourself, I
wouldn't want just anybody to know this... Ask for gammon steaks. ;-)

Andy

Tony Wright
July 1st 03, 10:29 PM
Andy wrote:
> Gavin Gillespie wrote:
>

>>It's not for slicing it thicker, it's for stitching two slices
>>together.
>

> You want thick bacon? I have a secret, though keep it to yourself, I
> wouldn't want just anybody to know this... Ask for gammon steaks. ;-)
>
> Andy

I have another secret. You can tell the person who told you yours.
Gammon is not bacon they come from different parts of the pig, Gammon is
leg , bacon is main body.

--

Tony Wright

Tony Wright
July 1st 03, 11:59 PM
oldmolly wrote:

> Bet the butcher is out of business now cos everyone buys asda crap instead
> of going to a butcher and buying the real thing at half the price :0(

I'll be testing this tomorrow (Wednesday). I really hope my local
butcher is as good as he appears. Shop full of meat first thing in the
morning, not much left by 1PM.

--

Tony Wright

xyz
July 2nd 03, 01:29 AM
Visit your local butcher,
The quality is far superior and if you keep using the 'supermarket' your
local shops won't survive.

"Tony Wright" > wrote in message
> Being fed up the ultra thin bacon that is usually sold, I decided to buy
> some thick sliced bacon [1] from Asda. I ended up not buying it, 250g of
> unsmoked back bacon is 1.38p, 250g of thick sliced is 1.78p. How the
> heck can they charge 40p extra for cutting it thicker?
>
> [1] Looking at it, it seems to be more like normal sliced was about 15
> years ago.
>
> --
>
> Tony Wright

Google