PDA

View Full Version : Cheap stuff at Sainsburys

The ale
July 1st 03, 01:00 PM
This may be helpful:
If you see Sainsburys selling reduced price stuff that is also BOGOF (Buy
one, get one free) or similar, then you'll find that when you come to pay,
their computer still thinks the fish cakes or whatever are at the original
price and credits you with that.

e.g. fish cakes normally £1.90, but reduced for quick sale at £1.00 and also
BOGOF.
You buy two, you should pay 2 x £1= £2, but computer thinks it should credit
you with £1.90, so you pay just 10p.

NB it's all automatic, so you don't need to tell the checkout person
anything, but I've found that it helps to put the items through individually
as occasionally the checkout operator will simply ring up 2 items at £1 each
and of course the computer doesn't spot the two bar codes then.

This may work for other supermarkets that simply put stickers without new
bar code on the reduced price packs - be interested to know.

Enjoy

The ale.

Barry Wright
July 1st 03, 01:41 PM
I used to work at sainsburys and they could never work our why i would buy
all the old stuff and never take it home.

Look out for reduced priced items with 'savercard points' sometimes you can
'buy' items with 50 extra points for 15p or less. Just buy it at the
checkout and throw it away if it smells :) - Take home the extra bonus
points on your card.

Thanks Barry

http://www.the-jigsaw.co.uk

"The ale" > wrote in message
> This may be helpful:
> If you see Sainsburys selling reduced price stuff that is also BOGOF (Buy
> one, get one free) or similar, then you'll find that when you come to pay,
> their computer still thinks the fish cakes or whatever are at the original
> price and credits you with that.
>
> e.g. fish cakes normally £1.90, but reduced for quick sale at £1.00 and
also
> BOGOF.
> You buy two, you should pay 2 x £1= £2, but computer thinks it should
credit
> you with £1.90, so you pay just 10p.
>
> NB it's all automatic, so you don't need to tell the checkout person
> anything, but I've found that it helps to put the items through
individually
> as occasionally the checkout operator will simply ring up 2 items at £1
each
> and of course the computer doesn't spot the two bar codes then.
>
> This may work for other supermarkets that simply put stickers without new
> bar code on the reduced price packs - be interested to know.
>
> Enjoy
>
> The ale.

---
The outgoing mail from this machine has been scanned.

Phöènix
July 1st 03, 06:39 PM
"mo" <nospam> wrote in message ...

> "The ale" > wrote in message
> > This may be helpful:
>

> it works at Tesco as well
>
> if something is 2 for £2 and they are 1.50 each - you would save £1
>
> but if they were both reduced to say £1 each anyway it would still save
you
> £1 so you would get both for £1
>
> the supermarkets know this (obviously) Tescos usually sells fruit at a
loss
> like this, just to get rid of it (and make the customers think they are
> getting a good deal)

IIRC some bloke bought about a ton of discounted bananas just for the Tescos
reward points a couple of years ago.

He then tried to give the bananas away.

Phöènix
July 3rd 03, 02:55 AM
"Halla" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 17:39:40 +0100, "Phöènix" <[email protected]> blethered:

> >> it works at Tesco as well
> >>
> >> if something is 2 for £2 and they are 1.50 each - you would save £1
> >>
> >> but if they were both reduced to say £1 each anyway it would still save
> >you
> >> £1 so you would get both for £1
> >>
> >> the supermarkets know this (obviously) Tescos usually sells fruit at a
> >loss
> >> like this, just to get rid of it (and make the customers think they are
> >> getting a good deal)
> >>

> >IIRC some bloke bought about a ton of discounted bananas just for the
Tescos
> >reward points a couple of years ago.
> >
> >He then tried to give the bananas away.
> >

> Nah, he worked out that with the special extra points on the bananas,
> he could make a big profit in coupons even if he did give the bananas
> away. Cheeky, but well spotted. A bargain hunter's bargain hunter. <g>

Nah?

> I think that's the guy who spends loads of time going round all the
> shops price-checking. He has crates of beans and stuff because he
> stocks up when he sees a real bargain. A lot of shops don't like him
> much. :-)

Google