PDA

View Full Version : Car Reg Kits (Kinda OT)

Neil
July 3rd 03, 02:17 PM
Hi,

sorry if kinda off topic but does anyone know the best (& cheapest/best
value) place to get car registration plates made up? also can & where would
you can buy the kits to do it yourself? i.e. the acrylic plates & the
letters to press yourself.

i also see a lot of plates that are technically illegal with italics or odd
spacing - any where stilll doing them because local shops now saying they
wont for legal matters but must be available somewhere?

thanks
neil

StevePetMonkey
July 3rd 03, 03:04 PM
Go here, they do them for £20 a set on buy it now

http://www.stores.ebay.co.uk/thesigngrafixco

Doug Ellison
July 3rd 03, 04:55 PM
"Neil" > wrote in message
s.com...
> Hi,
>
> sorry if kinda off topic but does anyone know the best (& cheapest/best
> value) place to get car registration plates made up? also can & where
would
> you can buy the kits to do it yourself? i.e. the acrylic plates & the
> letters to press yourself.
>
> i also see a lot of plates that are technically illegal with italics or
odd
> spacing - any where stilll doing them because local shops now saying they
> wont for legal matters but must be available somewhere?

You want to have an illegal number plate so the police will pull you over,
and put you through the pain in the arse of attending a police station with
licence, tax, mot and insurace within 10 days?

Whats wrong with a LEGAL numberplate?

Sorry - but this, along with blue sidelights - REALLY annoys me. There are
laws regarding motorvehicles for a REASON.

Doug

Gavin Gillespie
July 3rd 03, 05:20 PM
"Paul" > wrote in message
> Neil wrote in message
s.com...
> > sorry if kinda off topic but does anyone know the best (& cheapest/best
> > value) place to get car registration plates made up? also can & where
would
> > you can buy the kits to do it yourself? i.e. the acrylic plates & the
> > letters to press yourself.
> > i also see a lot of plates that are technically illegal with italics or
odd
> > spacing - any where stilll doing them because local shops now saying
they
> > wont for legal matters but must be available somewhere?
>
> Have a look @ ...........
> http://www.uknumberplates.com/
>
> and click on shop. They do "custom show plates"

Plates that do not comply with UK legislation, are illegal to use on public
roads. It is now also an offence for a company to make up and distribute
plates that do not comply with current legislation. These companies that are
selling them, seem to be trying to get around the law by stating that the
plates must not be used on public roads, in other words, they will make
them, and sell them, but don't want the responsibility if you get fined for
using them. I suspect that before long, these companies will be taken to
court to test the law on this.

The police now have, and are using, mobile units that can read number
plates, instantly check if a car is stolen, if it is untaxed, or uninsured,
and probably if the car has an MOT or not. When these mobile units are used,
I would expect that any car number plate that cannot be read automatically,
because it is not complying with current legislation, will be stopped,
otherwise it would be an easy way to get round these roadside checks.

Dave Painter
July 3rd 03, 11:57 PM
"Neil" > wrote in message
s.com...

> > Whats wrong with a LEGAL numberplate?
> >
> > Sorry - but this, along with blue sidelights - REALLY annoys me. There
are
> > laws regarding motorvehicles for a REASON.
> >
> > Doug
> >

> The laws stupid! its not as if i want to make an illegal plate and do a
bank
> job! all i want is to spell my name in a way that looks good! as a matter
of
> fact the one i want is within legal limits for spacing but some places are
> just been overly cautious since new rules introduced! see this as nothing
> more than the police going after the easy catch when they should be out
> sorting some real issues that would make many places are far better place
> live!

Motorcyclists having been saying this for years!
About time these young GTi types talked to Mr Plod.

Illegal plates, noisy exhausts, tinted windows...
Oh yes and that awful racket they call music! LOL

Dave

StevePetMonkey
July 4th 03, 06:51 AM
First it's no McDonalds and now no illegal numberplates.
You lot are so fussy.

Gavin Gillespie
July 4th 03, 09:28 AM
"Gaz" > wrote in message
> "Gavin Gillespie" > wrote in message
> >
> > The police now have, and are using, mobile units that can read number
> > plates, instantly check if a car is stolen, if it is untaxed, or
> ininsured,
> > and probably if the car has an MOT or not.

>>> UTTER RUBISH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please don't drop your litter here, check out
http://www.policereform.gov.uk/bureaucracy/Change_Proposal_Reports/Intelligence_Handling/ANPR/page2.html

Kez
July 4th 03, 11:03 AM
Dave Painter wrote:
> "Gavin Gillespie" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Paul" > wrote in message
>>> Neil wrote in message
>> s.com...
> <snip>
> or
>> odd
>>
>> Plates that do not comply with UK legislation, are illegal to use on
>> public roads. It is now also an offence for a company to make up and
>> distribute plates that do not comply with current legislation. These
>> companies that are selling them, seem to be trying to get around the
>> law by stating that the plates must not be used on public roads, in
>> other words, they will make them, and sell them, but don't want the
>> responsibility if you get fined for using them. I suspect that
>> before long, these companies will be taken to court to test the law
>> on this.
> <snip>
>
> Also a requirement under new legislation that the manufacturor MUST
> put their
> identifier on the plartes. 'Show plates' don't have the identifier so
> are automatically illegal.
>
> Dave

I thought that was only for cars registered after a certain date. I've nver
received anything to tell me that the plates on my 98 S registered car need
to be changed / updated, as they're now illegal

Neil
July 4th 03, 11:04 AM
> The law is not stupid, this law is to make vehicle identification clearer.
> Just one example where this could be beneficial to the public is that if a
> hit and run driver was fleeing from an accident, the registration plate
> would be clear for witnesses to record, instead of "Well it could have
been
> a 3, or was it an S, another letter could have been a C with a bolt in the
> middle, or an E"
> --

ok i definately agree with the bolt in middle of letters because that is a
deliberate "change" to the letters which should be wrong. might aswell just
put a different letter on. but theres gotta be some allowance cause it
stupid at the moment. take H9 XPH for example - spacing it such as H9 X
- still perfectly readable and obvious (even if use back to front P as
the nine to make perfect mirror image!), even gatso and whatlike say cameras
can still read it! but no you cant have it and the police will pull you
over - easy pickings! and thats all it is.

Causing no harm, no issues created, easy to catch - nicked
Causing harm, causing trouble, hard to catch - get away with it

seams recently drivers are the new target cause cash generation seams to be
creeping in/ need to get the crimes solved figure up. and before anyone says
it, i'm not a police hater. just wish issues that need to be sorted are
given more of a priority!

Gaz
July 4th 03, 11:05 AM
i say again utter rubbish - no central database of cars with or without
current mots exists...!!

"Gavin Gillespie" > wrote in message

> "Gaz" > wrote in message
> > "Gavin Gillespie" > wrote in message
> > >
> > > The police now have, and are using, mobile units that can read number
> > > plates, instantly check if a car is stolen, if it is untaxed, or
> > ininsured,
> > > and probably if the car has an MOT or not.

> Please don't drop your litter here, check out

http://www.policereform.gov.uk/bureaucracy/Change_Proposal_Reports/Intelligence_Handling/ANPR/page2.html

have!!!.

Paul
July 4th 03, 01:46 PM
Kez wrote in message ...

> and some bike plates are tiny...

True, but they're much harder to catch which is why they get away with it.

Drive a car and you are a target for every petty bureaucrat trying to justify the
existence of his job. Take a look at my website under "car vandalism" had two cars
stuffed in a two week period, action - "here's a crime number". Caught exceeding the
speed limit on a dual carriageway by 7mph a couple of weeks ago, action - summons in
the post fine and points. (what a master criminal I am)

--
Paul

Various items for sale,
See http://www.belair267.co.uk

Gavin Gillespie
July 4th 03, 03:41 PM
"Gaz" > wrote in message
> i say again utter rubbish - no central database of cars with or without
> current mots exists...!!

You posted "UTTER RUBISH!!!!!!!!!!!!" to the whole of the previous post, not
just to the MOT bit, and if you read what I actually wrote, it was
"probably if the car has an MOT or not" (notice the word probably) because
from what I have been read, the MOT's are to be included in roadside checks,
and the database is being compiled.

GH
July 4th 03, 07:23 PM
Paul wrote:
> Kez wrote in message ...
>
>> and some bike plates are tiny...
>
> True, but they're much harder to catch which is why they get away
> with it.
>
> Drive a car and you are a target for every petty bureaucrat trying to
> justify the existence of his job. Take a look at my website under
> "car vandalism" had two cars stuffed in a two week period, action -
> "here's a crime number". Caught exceeding the speed limit on a dual
> carriageway by 7mph a couple of weeks ago, action - summons in the
> post fine and points. (what a master criminal I am)

Hmmm national speedlimit on the dual carriageway? they cant do you for 77mph
simply because speedos & the guns are only accurate to within a 10% margin.
If you were doin 67 in a 60 zone then thats different though, or 57 in a 50,
etc

antonye
July 4th 03, 08:39 PM
Kez wrote:

> I thought that was only for cars registered after a
> certain date. I've nver received anything to tell
> me that the plates on my 98 S registered car need
> to be changed / updated, as they're now illegal

It will be picked up at your next MOT if they fail.
However, chances are the tester won't look twice
if your numberplate isn't taking the ****.

--
Antony. Far Up! Far Out! Far More!
Ducati 748S-318iSE E46-VTS 16v Nobody Does it Better

antonye
July 4th 03, 08:42 PM
Gaz wrote:

> i say again utter rubbish - no central database of cars
> with or without current mots exists...!!

Actually, it does. If you read this posting to uk.rec.motorcycles
by the well respected "JP", who just happens to be a traffic
copper, then you'll see what he means:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=g:thl26240672d&dq=&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=29vqavckgl75k805iqdl2u0gcn40fgfv23%404ax.com

--
Antony. Far Up! Far Out! Far More!
Ducati 748S-318iSE E46-VTS 16v Nobody Does it Better
I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

antonye
July 4th 03, 08:47 PM
Paul wrote:

> Kez wrote
>
> > and some bike plates are tiny...
>
> True, but they're much harder to catch which is why
> they get away with it.

Actually, bikes get picked on more than cars do, would
you believe. When was the last time you saw a police
roadblock which was directing *all* bikes over to the
side of the road for a thorough going over yet letting
all the cars pass through?

I see far more "bad boy" Novas with baked-bean can
exhausts, blacked out windows, blue neon washer jets
(what is that all about?) and thumping stereos than
bikes with small number plates.

For the record, the number plate on a motorcycle is
not part of the MOT whereas it is for a car. Also,
also bikes must conform to the 89dB noise limit at
the time of an MOT ... it's just that it's easier
to swap exhausts on a bike!

--
Antony. Far Up! Far Out! Far More!
Ducati 748S-318iSE E46-VTS 16v Nobody Does it Better
I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Kez
July 4th 03, 08:54 PM
GH wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>> Kez wrote in message ...
>>
>>> and some bike plates are tiny...
>>
>> True, but they're much harder to catch which is why they get away
>> with it.
>>
>> Drive a car and you are a target for every petty bureaucrat trying to
>> justify the existence of his job. Take a look at my website under
>> "car vandalism" had two cars stuffed in a two week period, action -
>> "here's a crime number". Caught exceeding the speed limit on a dual
>> carriageway by 7mph a couple of weeks ago, action - summons in the
>> post fine and points. (what a master criminal I am)
>
> Hmmm national speedlimit on the dual carriageway? they cant do you
> for 77mph simply because speedos & the guns are only accurate to
> within a 10% margin. If you were doin 67 in a 60 zone then thats
> different though, or 57 in a 50, etc

when i was at school 10% of 70 was 7

maybe it's changed since then?

antonye
July 4th 03, 10:43 PM
GH wrote:

> Hmmm national speedlimit on the dual carriageway? they
> cant do you for 77mph simply because speedos & the guns
> are only accurate to within a 10% margin.

Association of Chief of Police Officers (ACPO) guidelines
state that the error margin is 10% + 2mph, therefore it
would be 79 if the speed limit was 70mph.

However, it is a guideline and most modern equipment can
be calibrated to accuracy of tenths of mph. Most speedos
under-read too, so a shown 70mph is more likely to be
around 67mph.

Note that the original poster didn't say what the speed
limit was - it is perfectly reasonable to assume that
even though it was a dual carriageway, the limit could
have been 30 or 40mph.

--
Antony. Far Up! Far Out! Far More!
Ducati 748S-318iSE E46-VTS 16v Nobody Does it Better
I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Paul
July 4th 03, 11:20 PM
antonye wrote in message ...
> Note that the original poster didn't say what the speed
> limit was - it is perfectly reasonable to assume that
> even though it was a dual carriageway, the limit could
> have been 30 or 40mph.

Apparently it's 40 these days, another one reduced for no good reason.

--
Paul

Various items for sale,
See http://www.belair267.co.uk

Dave Painter
July 6th 03, 01:00 AM
"Kez" > wrote in message
> Dave Painter wrote:

> >> s.com...
> > <snip>
> > or
> >> odd
> >>
> >> Plates that do not comply with UK legislation, are illegal to use on
> >> public roads. It is now also an offence for a company to make up and
> >> distribute plates that do not comply with current legislation. These
> >> companies that are selling them, seem to be trying to get around the
> >> law by stating that the plates must not be used on public roads, in
> >> other words, they will make them, and sell them, but don't want the
> >> responsibility if you get fined for using them. I suspect that
> >> before long, these companies will be taken to court to test the law
> >> on this.
> > <snip>
> >
> > Also a requirement under new legislation that the manufacturor MUST
> > put their
> > identifier on the plartes. 'Show plates' don't have the identifier so
> > are automatically illegal.
> >
> > Dave
>
> I thought that was only for cars registered after a certain date. I've
nver
> received anything to tell me that the plates on my 98 S registered car
need
> to be changed / updated, as they're now illegal

Law applies to PLATES made after 1 Jan this year (if I remember the right
date)
so if you break a plate on your car (or have it nicked) then you need log
book, photo driving licence etc etc
to get a replacement.

If Mr Plod doesn't like your plate then he can order you to get it tested
and if you failed the spacing check then you'd have to buy a new plate with
all the hassle involved.

Dave
Who had to go through all this guff for a plate to hang on a trailer.

Dave Painter
July 6th 03, 01:05 AM
"Gavin Gillespie" > wrote in message

> "Gaz" > wrote in message
> > i say again utter rubbish - no central database of cars with or without
> > current mots exists...!!
>
> You posted "UTTER RUBISH!!!!!!!!!!!!" to the whole of the previous post,
not
> just to the MOT bit, and if you read what I actually wrote, it was
> "probably if the car has an MOT or not" (notice the word probably) because
> from what I have been read, the MOT's are to be included in roadside
checks,
> and the database is being compiled.

Girlfriend was stopped by police last week.
Police man called it in and was able to confirm the vehicle
was owned by us, taxed and insured no need to produce documents within 7
days.
He was also able to confirm that her driving licence was valid too.

I also now have a sticker in the car to tell me when the next MOT is due. I
suspect that someone somewhere is keying the data into a computer as we
speak.
Give it 12 months and the database will have every vehicle over four years
old with a date, and likely how many attempts it took to get it right.

Dave
who suspects that big brother is not just a program on the telly.

Google