PDA

View Full Version : Re: OT Fitting a DVD payer from ebuyer

Chris Nelis
July 6th 03, 06:50 PM
Its just as easy as either drives before.

You should have all the cables allready, But your hard disk might be on its
own data cable and its a good idea to leave it like this.

The easyist thing would be to replace the cdrom drive with a dvd drive thats
as fast for reading cds.

You just need to make sure the jumper on the new drive matches the setting
either slave or master of the old one

At a guess anything 500mhz + should be able to play DVDs fine, depending on
the amount of ram.

Chris

"MC_Emily" > wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I fancy buying one of those DVD players from ebuyer but how easy is it to
> fit? I've managed to fit a replacement CD drive and a new CDRW, as a
second
> drive, but how easy would this one be? How do I know if I've got the
right
> cables for it, or does it fit straight to the MB? I want to keep my CD
> Drive and my CDRW, but I do have a spare bay for a DVD. And how will it
> play? What is the minimum spec for them to play well? Sorry for all the
> dumb questions!! I'd be grateful for any advice. Thanks.
> Jaqy

db
July 6th 03, 06:51 PM
MC_Emily wrote:
> Hi
>
> I fancy buying one of those DVD players from ebuyer but how easy is
> it to fit? I've managed to fit a replacement CD drive and a new
> CDRW, as a second drive, but how easy would this one be? How do I
> know if I've got the right cables for it, or does it fit straight to
> the MB? I want to keep my CD Drive and my CDRW, but I do have a
> spare bay for a DVD. And how will it play? What is the minimum spec
> for them to play well? Sorry for all the dumb questions!! I'd be
> grateful for any advice. Thanks.
> Jaqy

If you can run a cd writer i'm sure you have enough oomph to run a dvd
player.
You'll be able to install it as long as you are running only one hard disk
drive.
on the same ide cable that connects to your hdd connect your dvd drive. (all
cables should come with the player anyhoo)

if you can install a cd drive this isnt' much different. (ohh remember your
audio cable to your sound card too.)

umm Just read the manual when you get it.

AS
July 6th 03, 07:18 PM
> wrote in message
> On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 17:51:12 +0100, "db" > wrote:

> It's not a very good idea to connect hard drives and CDs/DVDs on the
> same channel.

There is nothing wrong with that at all, IDE can only perform transactions
with device at a time, it is bad to put a CD and CDRW on the same channel as
on-the-fly copying will likely fail at high speed.

Try uk.comp.homebuilt !

Hellraiser
July 6th 03, 10:34 PM
"MC_Emily" > wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I fancy buying one of those DVD players from ebuyer but how easy is it to
> fit? I've managed to fit a replacement CD drive and a new CDRW, as a
second
> drive, but how easy would this one be? How do I know if I've got the
right
> cables for it, or does it fit straight to the MB? I want to keep my CD
> Drive and my CDRW, but I do have a spare bay for a DVD. And how will it
> play? What is the minimum spec for them to play well? Sorry for all the
> dumb questions!! I'd be grateful for any advice. Thanks.
> Jaqy

I hate to have to say this, but if you don't know how to fit the drive, then
why buy one? It would be much less hassle just to bung a knowledgeable
friend a few bob to do it :)

Hellraiser...........>

MC_Emily
July 6th 03, 10:48 PM
Gary wrote:
> Hellraiser scribbled :
>> I hate to have to say this, but if you don't know how to fit the
>> drive, then why buy one? It would be much less hassle just to bung a
>> knowledgeable friend a few bob to do it :)
>
> Still got to buy the drive though, unless the knowledgeable friend is
> a magician ;-)

Quite, and I'd rather learn something at the same time! :o)

Jaqy

MC_Emily
July 6th 03, 10:50 PM
db wrote:

> You'll be able to install it as long as you are running only one hard
> disk drive.

Oh yikes, I knew there'd be a spanner in the works!! I've got 2 HD's. Why
does that make a difference, please?

Jaqy

Hellraiser
July 6th 03, 11:06 PM
"Gary" > wrote in message
> Hellraiser scribbled :
> > I hate to have to say this, but if you don't know how to fit the
> > drive, then why buy one? It would be much less hassle just to bung a
> > knowledgeable friend a few bob to do it :)
>
> Still got to buy the drive though, unless the knowledgeable friend is a
> magician ;-)

I meant bung the knowledgeable friend a few bob to supply and fit one :p

Hellraiser...........>

Gary
July 6th 03, 11:09 PM
Hellraiser scribbled :
> I meant bung the knowledgeable friend a few bob to supply and fit one
> :p

I know what you meant ;-)

--
Gary
Please remove #NOSPAM# if replying via email

Gary
July 6th 03, 11:53 PM
MC_Emily scribbled :
> Oh yikes, I knew there'd be a spanner in the works!! I've got 2
> HD's. Why does that make a difference, please?

You have 2 IDE channels - Primary and Secondary which can hold 2 items on
each giving you 4 in total.
You would be best losing your CDROM which would then leave you with a
DVDROM, CDRW and 2 HDD's
After all your CDROM needs could be answered by both the DVDROM and CDRW
anyway.

--
Gary
Please remove #NOSPAM# if replying via email

MC_Emily
July 7th 03, 12:07 AM
Gary wrote:
> MC_Emily scribbled :
>> Oh yikes, I knew there'd be a spanner in the works!! I've got 2
>> HD's. Why does that make a difference, please?
>
> You have 2 IDE channels - Primary and Secondary which can hold 2
> items on each giving you 4 in total.

Thanks for the explanation :o)

> You would be best losing your CDROM which would then leave you with a
> DVDROM, CDRW and 2 HDD's
> After all your CDROM needs could be answered by both the DVDROM and
> CDRW anyway.

Grrrr, I've only just put that in after my previous one went la-la about 3
weeks ago!!! Oh well, I'll just have to sell it on. Thank you so much for
your help :o) Now all I need to do is persuade my hubby that I need a
DVD!!!! :o) Now, where is that sexy
underwear?.............................. ;o))))

Jaqy

db
July 7th 03, 12:09 AM
MC_Emily wrote:

yeah gary? is right .

ditch your cd rom as the cdrw or dvd will do its job.

MC_Emily
July 7th 03, 12:46 AM
db wrote:
> MC_Emily wrote:
>
> yeah gary? is right .
>
> ditch your cd rom as the cdrw or dvd will do its job.

Thanks :o)

Jaqy

me
July 14th 03, 09:12 PM
> > You would be best losing your CDROM which would then leave you with a
> > DVDROM, CDRW and 2 HDD's
> > After all your CDROM needs could be answered by both the DVDROM and
> > CDRW anyway.
>
> Grrrr, I've only just put that in after my previous one went la-la about 3
> weeks ago!!! Oh well, I'll just have to sell it on. Thank you so much
for
> your help :o) Now all I need to do is persuade my hubby that I need a
> DVD!!!! :o) Now, where is that sexy
> underwear?.............................. ;o))))
>
> Jaqy

You could get a PCI IDE card (or RAID card) and add a few more IDE ports.

MC_Emily
July 15th 03, 01:02 AM
me wrote:

> You could get a PCI IDE card (or RAID card) and add a few more IDE
> ports.

Now this is just faaaaaaarrrr too technical for me!!! I have to admit that
i don't know what you mean :o(

Jaqy

Gary
July 15th 03, 08:14 AM
MC_Emily scribbled :
> me wrote:
>
>> You could get a PCI IDE card (or RAID card) and add a few more IDE
>> ports.
>
> Now this is just faaaaaaarrrr too technical for me!!! I have to
> admit that i don't know what you mean :o(

As I explained that there were 2 IDE Ports - Primary and Secondary - both
with Master and Slave ports, giving you a total of 4 IDE ports, well if you
add a PCI IDE Card then you will get more than 4 IDE Ports so effectively
you can add more than your 2 HDD's and 3 CD / DVD Drives.
Its no big deal to fit, you just plug it in - it probably doesn't even need
drivers but it may ask for your Windows CD on its first reboot.
--
Gary
Please remove #NOSPAM# if replying via email

MC_Emily
July 15th 03, 11:08 AM
Gary wrote:
> As I explained that there were 2 IDE Ports - Primary and Secondary -
> both with Master and Slave ports, giving you a total of 4 IDE ports,
> well if you add a PCI IDE Card then you will get more than 4 IDE
> Ports so effectively you can add more than your 2 HDD's and 3 CD /
> DVD Drives. Its no big deal to fit, you just plug it in - it probably
> doesn't even need drivers but it may ask for your Windows CD on its
> first reboot.

Thanks!! :o)))))

Jaqy

Google