PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight Laptop

Daniel
July 11th 03, 09:13 AM
I am looking for a lightweight laptop.

Most of the usual best buys are for machines about 3kg, but I need something
lighter. Budget is £1000 max.

Any recommendations on models and places to buy would be very gratefully
received.

Daniel

Chris
July 11th 03, 09:43 AM
novatech sent me a flyer this morning with a range of centrino laptops on
it.
most expensive was :

1.6GHz Processor
14.1" XGA TFT Screen
512MB DDR, 40GB HDD
CDRW/DVD, 56K Modem

£150.00 OFF!

- NOW -
£849.00 ex vat
[WAS £999.00]

Nice lookibg machine too.

Chris

"Daniel" > wrote in message
> I am looking for a lightweight laptop.
>
> Most of the usual best buys are for machines about 3kg, but I need
something
> lighter. Budget is £1000 max.
>
> Any recommendations on models and places to buy would be very gratefully
> received.
>
> Daniel

JK
July 11th 03, 11:49 AM
Daniel wrote:
> I am looking for a lightweight laptop.
>
> Most of the usual best buys are for machines about 3kg, but I need
> something lighter. Budget is £1000 max.
>
> Any recommendations on models and places to buy would be very
> gratefully received.
>
> Daniel

try the dell outlet store.

lightness is something you have to pay for in laptops, you might need to go
to end of line/discontinued to get it as light as you want - eg Morgan
Computers have a Tosh Portege P3 750 for <1000

Jon S Green
July 11th 03, 09:24 PM
"Chris" > wrote:

> novatech sent me a flyer this morning with a range of centrino laptops on
> it.
> most expensive was :
>
> 1.6GHz Processor
> 14.1" XGA TFT Screen
> 512MB DDR, 40GB HDD
> CDRW/DVD, 56K Modem
>
> £150.00 OFF!
>
> - NOW -
> £849.00 ex vat
> [WAS £999.00]
>

> Nice lookibg machine too.

Mind you, it's 2.5kg, and you have to pay extra for the OS (inc VAT:
1256.08 with XP Home, 1291.33 with XP Pro. Or 999 with Linux, if you
borrow someone's disks. *grin*)

Jon
--
SPAM BLOCK IN USE! Replace 'deadspam' with 'green-lines' to reply in email.
Want a free solution to email spam? Try http://www.deadspam.com/

Jaime
July 11th 03, 10:31 PM
> I am looking for a lightweight laptop.
>
> Most of the usual best buys are for machines about 3kg, but I need
something
> lighter. Budget is £1000 max.
>
> Any recommendations on models and places to buy would be very gratefully
> received.

I have a vaio srx41p it weighs 1.3 kg and would probably fit your
requirements, and I would defently recomend one. New they are still around
£1700 for the srx51p which includes a dvd/cdrw. However you should be able
to pick up a nearly new srx41/51 for under a grand on ebay. Otherwise the
tr1's look a great buy for portability although being new you wont be able
to get one for less £1600 so way over your budget.

Jaime

Chris
July 11th 03, 10:44 PM
If you are anywhere near tottenham court road in London, they have Sony
VX71s for 900 and the R600HMPD for less than 1000

chris

"Chris" > wrote in message
> didn't realise that it was 2.5kg -- careless of me. Looked lighter.
>
> But I suppose that 2.5Kg is relatively lightweight. It's when it gets
over
> 3Kg that it hurts.

> "Jon S Green" > wrote in message
> > "Chris" > wrote:
> >
> > > novatech sent me a flyer this morning with a range of centrino
laptops
> on
> > > it.
> > > most expensive was :
> > >
> > > 1.6GHz Processor
> > > 14.1" XGA TFT Screen
> > > 512MB DDR, 40GB HDD
> > > CDRW/DVD, 56K Modem
> > >
> > > £150.00 OFF!
> > >
> > > - NOW -
> > > £849.00 ex vat
> > > [WAS £999.00]
> > >

> > > Nice lookibg machine too.
> >
> > Mind you, it's 2.5kg, and you have to pay extra for the OS (inc VAT:
> > 1256.08 with XP Home, 1291.33 with XP Pro. Or 999 with Linux, if you
> > borrow someone's disks. *grin*)
> >
> > Jon
> > --
> > SPAM BLOCK IN USE! Replace 'deadspam' with 'green-lines' to reply in
> email.
> > Want a free solution to email spam? Try http://www.deadspam.com/
> > (Declaration of interest: I own/run the domain.)

Chris
July 11th 03, 10:47 PM
They seem to be charging 200 for Windows XP home.

Ridiculous!

"Jon S Green" > wrote in message
> "Chris" > wrote:
>
> > novatech sent me a flyer this morning with a range of centrino laptops
on
> > it.
> > most expensive was :
> >
> > 1.6GHz Processor
> > 14.1" XGA TFT Screen
> > 512MB DDR, 40GB HDD
> > CDRW/DVD, 56K Modem
> >
> > £150.00 OFF!
> >
> > - NOW -
> > £849.00 ex vat
> > [WAS £999.00]
> >

> > Nice lookibg machine too.
>
> Mind you, it's 2.5kg, and you have to pay extra for the OS (inc VAT:
> 1256.08 with XP Home, 1291.33 with XP Pro. Or 999 with Linux, if you
> borrow someone's disks. *grin*)
>
> Jon
> --
> SPAM BLOCK IN USE! Replace 'deadspam' with 'green-lines' to reply in
email.
> Want a free solution to email spam? Try http://www.deadspam.com/
> (Declaration of interest: I own/run the domain.)

Jon S Green
July 12th 03, 10:52 AM
"Chris" > wrote:

> If you are anywhere near tottenham court road in London, they have Sony
> VX71s for 900 and the R600HMPD for less than 1000

Now that's tempting! Which shop, in particular?

Ta,

Jon
--
SPAM BLOCK IN USE! Replace 'deadspam' with 'green-lines' to reply in email.
Want a free solution to email spam? Try http://www.deadspam.com/
(Declaration of interest: I own/run the domain.)

Chris
July 12th 03, 12:54 PM
Sorry I wasn't paying enough attention (was actually buying a new cellphone)
... but I usually pop into micro anvika and ASK.
I definitely saw them in more than one store.
I suspect that prices for such discontinued equipment are negotiable. A
wedge of cash would help a lot.

imho the VX71 is the better machine.

"Jon S Green" > wrote in message
> "Chris" > wrote:
>
> > If you are anywhere near tottenham court road in London, they have Sony
> > VX71s for 900 and the R600HMPD for less than 1000
>
> Now that's tempting! Which shop, in particular?
>
> Ta,
>
> Jon
> --
> SPAM BLOCK IN USE! Replace 'deadspam' with 'green-lines' to reply in
email.
> Want a free solution to email spam? Try http://www.deadspam.com/
> (Declaration of interest: I own/run the domain.)

Chris
July 12th 03, 12:59 PM
online:

VX71P
http://www.technoworld.com/keysearch.asp?Searchstring=vx71p&midnew_r2_c03.x=23&midnew_r2_c03.y=6

R600HMPD
http://www.technoworld.com/keysearch.asp?Searchstring=r600hmpd&midnew_r2_c03.x=20&midnew_r2_c03.y=9

"Jon S Green" > wrote in message
> "Chris" > wrote:
>
> > If you are anywhere near tottenham court road in London, they have Sony
> > VX71s for 900 and the R600HMPD for less than 1000
>
> Now that's tempting! Which shop, in particular?
>
> Ta,
>
> Jon
> --
> SPAM BLOCK IN USE! Replace 'deadspam' with 'green-lines' to reply in
email.
> Want a free solution to email spam? Try http://www.deadspam.com/
> (Declaration of interest: I own/run the domain.)

Jon S Green
July 12th 03, 10:01 PM
"Chris" > wrote:

> online:
>
> VX71P
> http://www.technoworld.com/keysearch.asp?Searchstring=vx71p&midnew_r2_c03.x=23&midnew_r2_c03.y=6

Thanks, Chris! I'm deeply tempted. Hmmm, wonder how much I could get
for my old one...

Jon
--
SPAM BLOCK IN USE! Replace 'deadspam' with 'green-lines' to reply in email.
Want a free solution to email spam? Try http://www.deadspam.com/
(Declaration of interest: I own/run the domain.)

Google