PDA

View Full Version : O2 online PAYG Sim scam question (Not spam!)

tHatDudeUK
July 11th 03, 04:00 PM
I have seen numberous auctions on ebay...

http://tinyurl.co.uk/cbb7

being a list of some

and wondered how it worked or if someone had the info or could be kind
enought to purchase it and put it in the public domain....

simon
July 11th 03, 04:22 PM
No need to pay for the info when all they will give you is a link to buy
them for 99p each with free delivery.

Here is the link
http://tinyurl.com/g61v

I just got 2 this week for my parents, could have got up to six I think but
have no use for anymore.

Simon.

tHatDudeUK
July 11th 03, 04:56 PM
"simon" > wrote in message
> Oh I see.....Lol
>
> Prob just bull****.
>
> Saying that I have not topped up for about 10 weks at mo and the free wap
> and texts still work, and even though o2 told me gprs wap was not
available
> on pay and go, its working just fine!

You might have hit the bullet on the head. Are you sending SMS over GPRS?!
:-) That might be the amazing info in the auctions....!

simon
July 11th 03, 05:05 PM
> You might have hit the bullet on the head. Are you sending SMS over GPRS?!
> :-) That might be the amazing info in the auctions....!

Not that I know of, its only been set up for gprs a week or so since i got a
v200 as a pay and go upgrade.

I just emailed them via the site and got mms and gprs enabled on my sim card
and they replied telling me mms was set up and it cost 35p a message but
gprs on pay and go was unavailable so should still use standard gsm wap.

But I just got the gprs settings sent to my phone via the website and then
just set them settings as default over the old settings and it works fine,
but not tried to use it with a laptop for internet access sorry.

Simon.

tHatDudeUK
July 11th 03, 05:14 PM
"simon" > wrote in message

> > You might have hit the bullet on the head. Are you sending SMS over
GPRS?!
> > :-) That might be the amazing info in the auctions....!
>
> Not that I know of, its only been set up for gprs a week or so since i got
> v200 as a pay and go upgrade.

In my T68I there's a menu option under connect - > data communications
called SMS access where I can chose to have SMS over GSM or GPRS...

My guess is the website also set it up for SMS over GPRS and now you get
free sms continually....

tHatDudeUK
July 11th 03, 05:36 PM
"tHatDudeUK" > wrote in message

According to the seller...

Ivor Jones
July 11th 03, 07:10 PM
"tHatDudeUK" > wrote in message

> "simon" > wrote in message
> >
> > > You might have hit the bullet on the head. Are you sending SMS over
> GPRS?!
> > > :-) That might be the amazing info in the auctions....!
> >
> > Not that I know of, its only been set up for gprs a week or so since i
got
> > v200 as a pay and go upgrade.
>
> In my T68I there's a menu option under connect - > data communications
> called SMS access where I can chose to have SMS over GSM or GPRS...
>
> My guess is the website also set it up for SMS over GPRS and now you get
> free sms continually....

AFAIK no UK network supports SMS over GPRS. I set it up on my 6310i by
mistake and was getting charged for SMS messages I should have got free (I
have the original out here pack on PAYG). Putting the setting back to GSM
restored my free messages, so this is very strange..!

Ivor

Joe Harrison
July 14th 03, 11:57 AM
I have one of those SIMs and I never ever topped up at all but GPRS WAP
still works. Laptop internet connection doesn't work, then again this is so
fraught especially with bluetooth I might have just messed it up.

You can do GPRS SMS on any network with the right phone, IIRC someone does a
Java midlet that connects to a free SMS sender, completely bypasses phones
normal SMS menus. Can't remember where I saw it sorry.

Google