PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest tall larder fridge?

Heather Reed
July 12th 03, 10:47 PM
I want to buy in the next couple of months, and the cheapest I have
found is £199 from either Argos or Currys (Beko and Fridgidaire). Anyone
know of a cheaper deal anywhere else? Preferably A rated and min 10 cu
ft.
Thanks

--
Heather Reed

Gavin Gillespie
July 12th 03, 11:53 PM
"Heather Reed" > wrote in message

> I want to buy in the next couple of months, and the cheapest I have
> found is £199 from either Argos or Currys (Beko and Fridgidaire). Anyone
> know of a cheaper deal anywhere else? Preferably A rated and min 10 cu
> ft.

As a refrigeration engineer, and without going into too many details ;o) I
would not advise buying the cheapest in this case. I am receiving a lot of
calls lately about a certain make, and these are usually terminal, i.e.
cheaper to get a new one than to have them repaired, and most of these are
under two years old..

Have a look at the Hotpoints, which give a 5 year parts guarantee.
If it goes faulty after the first year, be careful, because Hotpoint will
want about £85 call charge and labour to fix it, (parts free) but this can
work to the customers benefit if it is the compressor that is faulty, as
these can cost as much as a new fridge to replace if you didn't have the
parts guarantee.

If it is a thermostat fault, (which most are), I can usually replace these
for under £50, including labour and parts, which is £35 below what Hotpoint
will charge just for the visit, even though it is under their 5 year parts
guarantee.
--
Gavin Gillespie
www.abbeydale.net

Heather Reed
July 13th 03, 01:50 AM
In message >, Gavin
Gillespie > writes

>As a refrigeration engineer, and without going into too many details ;o) I
>would not advise buying the cheapest in this case. I am receiving a lot of
>calls lately about a certain make, and these are usually terminal, i.e.
>cheaper to get a new one than to have them repaired, and most of these are
>under two years old..
>
>Have a look at the Hotpoints,

Thanks for the advice gavin - unfortunately our budget doesn't run too
high, but I noticed a hotpoint on the argos site for 50 quid more, so
I'll look into it. My mum always used to swear by Fridgidaire, but she
hasn't bought a fridge for 30 years, so they may have changed. I wish
you could give a clearer hint as to what to avoid :-))

--
Heather Reed

Gavin Gillespie
July 13th 03, 09:34 AM
"Heather Reed" > wrote in message
> In message >, Gavin
> Gillespie > writes
> >
> >As a refrigeration engineer, and without going into too many details ;o)
> >would not advise buying the cheapest in this case. I am receiving a lot
of
> >calls lately about a certain make, and these are usually terminal, i.e.
> >cheaper to get a new one than to have them repaired, and most of these
are
> >under two years old..
> >
> >Have a look at the Hotpoints,
>
> Thanks for the advice gavin - unfortunately our budget doesn't run too
> high, but I noticed a hotpoint on the argos site for 50 quid more, so
> I'll look into it. My mum always used to swear by Fridgidaire, but she
> hasn't bought a fridge for 30 years, so they may have changed. I wish
> you could give a clearer hint as to what to avoid :-))

I have not had many problems with Frigidaire, so I can't really comment
there ;o)
There are only a relatively few manufacturers of fridge compressors, and
thermostats, so the reliability of a certain fridge brand is often dependant
on which components the manufacturers choose to put in any particular model.
Just going by brand name can be misleading, as companies are merging, and
being taken over all the time. It is not unknown for companies to buy out a
reliable brand name, just to use it on what might have been a less reliable
brand. This is what makes it so hard to comment, when someone asks what is
the best fridge to buy, as independent repairers only see the problems after
the original guarantee has expired, and by then, the machines are at least
twelve months old.
--
Gavin Gillespie

Joe Harrison
July 14th 03, 11:49 AM
We got a tall larder Kelvinator something like 12 cu.ft from
www.iceland.co.uk for just over 200 pounds, didn't realise they did
appliances as well as frozen food but a friend said he'd had good experience
with them. Door hinge swopover procedure didn't work on delivery, and
customer service was a bit so-so, however it's been fine as a fridge so far.

Had it about 12 months in fact so I hope it's not just about ready to cash
in its airmiles, Gavin has put the wind up me a bit saying all that :-/

Heather Reed
July 14th 03, 09:56 PM
In message >, Joe
Harrison > writes
>We got a tall larder Kelvinator something like 12 cu.ft from
>www.iceland.co.uk for just over 200 pounds, didn't realise they did
>appliances as well as frozen food but a friend said he'd had good experience
>with them. Door hinge swopover procedure didn't work on delivery, and
>customer service was a bit so-so, however it's been fine as a fridge so far.

Thanks for mentioning it Joe - not A rated but looks a good size and
price - I'll be investigating that one :-)

--
Heather Reed

Mike \(mixmanx at AV and DVD Forums\)
July 14th 03, 11:16 PM
> Don't worry too much Joe, it seems to be one particular make which gets
most
> of the problems, the make whose first and last letters produce an
unpleasant
> odour ;o)
> --
> Gavin Gillespie

Oh come on, your going to have to elaborate on that, it's too hot for
cryptic clues!

Tony Wright
July 14th 03, 11:21 PM
Mike (mixmanx at AV and DVD Forums) wrote:

>>Don't worry too much Joe, it seems to be one particular make which gets
>
> most
>
>>of the problems, the make whose first and last letters produce an
>
> unpleasant
>
>>odour ;o)
>>--
>>Gavin Gillespie
>>

> Oh come on, your going to have to elaborate on that, it's too hot for
> cryptic clues!

4 letters?

--

Tony Wright