PDA

View Full Version : Re: Has anyone had good/bad experiences with any fitted kitchen companies..

Mel
July 13th 03, 03:27 PM
Kitchens are a bit of a sore subject with me at the moment! We paid a
deposit for one at the beginning of May and were told the new kitchen would
arrive and be fitted in 30 days time. We had previously agreed to rip out
our old kitchen ourselves so we could afford a few fancy little extras that
came with it. This we did 3 days before the delivery date after checking
with the company. Our kitchen ended up being 8 weeks late and we were left
with nothing, no washing machine, oven fridge etc for all this time. It did
eventually arrive the day before we went on holiday in June but the oven was
missing, a worktop was too short, a glass door was cracked and the dining
chairs didn't fit under the table!!! We are now still waiting for the oven
and the other bits and pieces!! It's been a complete nightmare from start to
finish, but luckily we didn't pay all the money up front so are still
holding some back.
We got quotes from most companies before we decided on this one (talk about
a bad decision!) and most of them want all or most of the money up front. My
advice would be to not part with anything other than a deposit until all
work is completed and you are 100% happy.
Kitchens direct by the way, is actually Moben just using a different name.
We had our very first quote from them and the salesman did try to put us
under pressure to get us to sign on the dotted line. We liked the kitchen
and couldn't make up our minds, so because he (apparently) lived a long way
away, and to save him having to travel all the way back to us to collect a
cheque for £100 to hold the price of the kitchen if we decided to go ahead,
he suggested we give him a post dated cheque. Then if we decided to go ahead
it was all done and if we decided against, we should ring head office and
they would destroy the cheque. Well, after doing this, we decided we
wouldn't have the kitchen so rang them and they told me they had ripped the
cheque up. Next month I was checking our bank statements and noticed that
the buggers had cashed it!! After lots of ranting and raving I did manage to
get the money back but it did make me wonder at what sort of company they
really are.
New kitchens are definitely a minefield so be very careful!!
Mel.

Chris Cross" > wrote in message
> Looking to have a new fitted kitchen, Currys looks a better deal at the
> moment than MFI, with their 30% off appliances, are there any other good
> deals going on, I'm not looking at the high end luxury kitchens.
>
> But what about Kitchen Direct, anyone had experiences with them, the fact
> that they won't send you a brochure shouts that the salesman will try to
> keep you up all night until you sign his piece of paper, so he gets paid..
>
> So if anyone has had experience with any of these, or knows of any good
> deals
> at the moment, it would be very appreciated...
>
> Thanks for any info...
> Chris
>

> ---

Fat Freddy Freak
July 13th 03, 06:38 PM
On 13 Jul 2003, Chris Cross wrote in
alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains:

> Looking to have a new fitted kitchen, Currys looks a better deal at
> the moment than MFI, with their 30% off appliances, are there any
> other good deals going on, I'm not looking at the high end luxury
> kitchens.
>
> But what about Kitchen Direct, anyone had experiences with them, the
> fact that they won't send you a brochure shouts that the salesman will
> try to keep you up all night until you sign his piece of paper, so he
> gets paid..
>
> So if anyone has had experience with any of these, or knows of any
> good deals
> at the moment, it would be very appreciated...
>
> Thanks for any info...
> Chris
>

> ---

If you're getting a chippy/builder or other tradesman to fit it, ask to if
they've got a Howdens joinery account. Just got mine through my builders'
account and it saved us massive amounts compared to the same kitchen in
MFI.
Very pleasant people to deal with as well.

--
:: Craig
::

Martin
July 13th 03, 09:18 PM
Chris Cross wrote:
> Looking to have a new fitted kitchen, Currys looks a better deal at
> the moment than MFI, with their 30% off appliances, are there any
> other good deals going on, I'm not looking at the high end luxury
> kitchens.
>
> But what about Kitchen Direct, anyone had experiences with them, the
> fact that they won't send you a brochure shouts that the salesman
> will try to keep you up all night until you sign his piece of paper,
> so he gets paid..
>
> So if anyone has had experience with any of these, or knows of any
> good deals
> at the moment, it would be very appreciated...
>
> Thanks for any info...
> Chris

I used Kitchens Direct for both a kitchen and bedroom a long time ago
without any problems.

May I offer a couple of hints for use in negotiation when dealing with
the salesman?

Be polite and friendly throughout.
Keep a figure in your head that you are going to spend.
Do not give the salesman the merest clue what that number is. He will
try very hard to get this figure - do not weaken.
Let him draw up the kitchen of your choice. Make sure you remember to
include everything you want.
Let him give you his quote (this first number will inevitably be
outrageous - don't even repeat that number out loud as that gives it a
form of credence).
Tell him you have a fixed limit on your spend and advise him of what
you are going to spend (assuming you are happy with it).
Do not accept any compromise on the specification. He will try to
remove units etc. Don't let him.
Explain politely that you want the kitchen you specified at the price
you want and that if he agrees to that, you will buy the kitchen.
At this stage, you have turned the whole decision-making process
around...
Do not offer any compromise.
Eventually he will phone his boss, and unless your price is completely
stupid you will very likely get what you want.

When it comes to the contract signing, ask him if the kitchen will
definitely be installed by the date you have agreed. If he says yes,
write the words "Time is of the essence" on the contract, and get both
your initials and his beside the amendment. This puts them in a more
difficult position if they fail to deliver on time.

Apologies if that all sounds a bit condescending, but I have used
these tactics to good effect over the years.

Good luck

Martin

> ---

Ged Hickman
July 14th 03, 10:32 AM
We had the Moben (other end of Kitchens direct) saleman do all the stuff to
us. Change the spec, tell us "no one has tall units anymore", tell us the
doors were solid wood even though theys were obviously veneered etc etc etc.
We went to Magnet got a better price, the spec we wanted and they have
changed any damaged pieces overnight including a 3 metre length of very
expensive worktop that had a small split on the underside.
Unless you are Iron willed as per the very good post from Martin i would
steer clear of the home sellers and either buy the units and get a chippie
to install or browse Google newsgroups for the name of your chosen supplier
to gauge opinion. Moben and kitchens direct appear as horror stars in the
newsgroups. Including outside shop sit downs etc...

"Martin" > wrote in message
> Chris Cross wrote:
> > Looking to have a new fitted kitchen, Currys looks a better deal at
> > the moment than MFI, with their 30% off appliances, are there any
> > other good deals going on, I'm not looking at the high end luxury
> > kitchens.
> >
> > But what about Kitchen Direct, anyone had experiences with them, the
> > fact that they won't send you a brochure shouts that the salesman
> > will try to keep you up all night until you sign his piece of paper,
> > so he gets paid..
> >
> > So if anyone has had experience with any of these, or knows of any
> > good deals
> > at the moment, it would be very appreciated...
> >
> > Thanks for any info...
> > Chris
>
> I used Kitchens Direct for both a kitchen and bedroom a long time ago
> without any problems.
>
> May I offer a couple of hints for use in negotiation when dealing with
> the salesman?
>
> Be polite and friendly throughout.
> Keep a figure in your head that you are going to spend.
> Do not give the salesman the merest clue what that number is. He will
> try very hard to get this figure - do not weaken.
> Let him draw up the kitchen of your choice. Make sure you remember to
> include everything you want.
> Let him give you his quote (this first number will inevitably be
> outrageous - don't even repeat that number out loud as that gives it a
> form of credence).
> Tell him you have a fixed limit on your spend and advise him of what
> you are going to spend (assuming you are happy with it).
> Do not accept any compromise on the specification. He will try to
> remove units etc. Don't let him.
> Explain politely that you want the kitchen you specified at the price
> you want and that if he agrees to that, you will buy the kitchen.
> At this stage, you have turned the whole decision-making process
> around...
> Do not offer any compromise.
> Eventually he will phone his boss, and unless your price is completely
> stupid you will very likely get what you want.
>
> When it comes to the contract signing, ask him if the kitchen will
> definitely be installed by the date you have agreed. If he says yes,
> write the words "Time is of the essence" on the contract, and get both
> your initials and his beside the amendment. This puts them in a more
> difficult position if they fail to deliver on time.
>
> Apologies if that all sounds a bit condescending, but I have used
> these tactics to good effect over the years.
>
> Good luck
>
> Martin
>

> > ---

Local shop
July 14th 03, 10:35 AM
I think what they are trying to say is STICK WITH THE ONE YOU GOT
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

localshop
:-)
"Chris Cross" > wrote in message
> Looking to have a new fitted kitchen, Currys looks a better deal at the
> moment than MFI, with their 30% off appliances, are there any other good
> deals going on, I'm not looking at the high end luxury kitchens.
>
> But what about Kitchen Direct, anyone had experiences with them, the fact
> that they won't send you a brochure shouts that the salesman will try to
> keep you up all night until you sign his piece of paper, so he gets paid..
>
> So if anyone has had experience with any of these, or knows of any good
> deals
> at the moment, it would be very appreciated...
>
> Thanks for any info...
> Chris
>

> ---

oldmolly
July 15th 03, 12:13 PM
"Brian Hems" > wrote in message
> Quite a while ago a salesman tried to persuade us to by a kitchen from
> Farouche. He told us it was made from the finest German materials
especially
> manufactured for the individual client. After much negotiation he 'phoned
> the boss' and said that we did not need to decide right away, and the
price
> would be held on lodging a 'holding deposit' cheque with him.
> A couple of days later we had a call asking us for a convenient date for
> installation. When I told them that we had only paid a holding deposit and
> had not yet decided, he said the company had no such policy. When pressed,
> he said the salesman in question 'no longer works for us'. I told them to
> cancel. A few days later TWO 'directors' turned up and piled the pressure
> on. After a slog they gave up and went away. Unlike the poster below, we
> never got the 'holding deposit' back. The following week they appeared on
> Watchdog - not a good sign.
> Sadly, my mother bought one of their expensive 'German' kitchens. It
was
> rubbish, doors broke free, wall cupboards were just 'upside down' floor
> cupboards. The 'German material' was simply weak chipboard with a nice
> looking veneer to make it look expensive.
> It might be useful to check the BBC website to see if there are any
> kitchen companies that have featured on Watchdog recently before you
choose
> a company.

Another good tip is not to give them any money for any reason until the job
is done.
That includes so called 'holding' deposits etc. If they want your business
and are reputable, they will await your decision.
If they ask for post dated cheques, holding deposits and similar, simply
show them the door.