PDA

View Full Version : Re: Student bank accounts

Rob O'Connor
July 5th 03, 07:03 PM
On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 12:43:34 +0100, ":: Dazza ::" >
wrote:

>Hi
> Going to University in September, any bank accounts I can open *now* to
>claim free gifts?

Dunno, but dont forget to take a photocopy of your UCAS acceptance
form rather than the original. Say the original is at uni or
something. That way, when they stamp it you can just use another copy
to open up another student account somewhere else. Many £50 credits
coming your way :)

Eric Jones
July 5th 03, 08:54 PM
I think you will find that all documents you provide will have to be
originals. The bank then takes a copy for their purposes and you get the
original documentation back.
Also consider that when you open an account you have to sign a declaration
to authorise the bank to conduct a credit search on you, too many entries in
a short space of time for credit( which is what a student account is) means
that you may be turned down at some banks.
My advice - do your homework find the bank that gives you the best deal re
free overdrafts etc which will be of more use to you than any other type of
freebie.
Eric
"Rob O'Connor" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 12:43:34 +0100, ":: Dazza ::" >
> wrote:
>
> >Hi
> > Going to University in September, any bank accounts I can open *now*
> >claim free gifts?
>
> Dunno, but dont forget to take a photocopy of your UCAS acceptance
> form rather than the original. Say the original is at uni or
> something. That way, when they stamp it you can just use another copy
> to open up another student account somewhere else. Many £50 credits
> coming your way :)

Mark Kelly
July 5th 03, 09:42 PM
wrote:

>Hi
> Going to University in September, any bank accounts I can open *now* to
>claim free gifts?

Royal Bank of Scotland got an opening offer for students now, when I
went to my branch last week but to tell you the truth if you are
"looking" for the best deal. wait until the fresher week, since a lot
of banks (RBOS included) have special deals during that period, of
time.

James smyth
July 5th 03, 11:15 PM
"Rob O'Connor" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 12:43:34 +0100, ":: Dazza ::" >
> wrote:
>
> >Hi
> > Going to University in September, any bank accounts I can open *now* to
> >claim free gifts?
>
> Dunno, but dont forget to take a photocopy of your UCAS acceptance
> form rather than the original. Say the original is at uni or
> something. That way, when they stamp it you can just use another copy
> to open up another student account somewhere else. Many £50 credits
> coming your way :)

I applied online at the Natwest and went along to sign the forms, didn't have to
take any proof I was a student with me at all.

Rob O'Connor
July 6th 03, 02:00 PM
On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 18:54:17 +0000 (UTC), "Eric Jones"
> wrote:

>I think you will find that all documents you provide will have to be
>originals. The bank then takes a copy for their purposes and you get the
>original documentation back.
>Also consider that when you open an account you have to sign a declaration
>to authorise the bank to conduct a credit search on you, too many entries in
>a short space of time for credit( which is what a student account is) means
>that you may be turned down at some banks.
>My advice - do your homework find the bank that gives you the best deal re
>free overdrafts etc which will be of more use to you than any other type of
>freebie.
>Eric

Things may have changed since I did the rounds four years ago. I just
took my UCAS copy, and ID.

Good advice about shopping round though - I'd reccommend First Direct,
the telephone banking section of HSBC. They dont offer a student
account as such, but they always answer the phone on the first ring
and the staff are really helpful and knowledgeable.

You get £25 for joining, (and so do I if anyone wants me to refer
them!) but I'd reccommend them even if they didnt.

Eric Jones
July 6th 03, 05:17 PM
Things have certainly changed in the last four years like September 11th for
instance and Government legislation which could make a bank employee liable
for prosecution if a) it was deemed that improper or no records were taken
to identify a new or existing customer or b)if it was deemed that it was
obvious that a transaction on an account was suspicious but not reported. So
by going round all the banks to open accounts for freebies will not only
harm your credit record but you may be reported (without your knowledge) as
a possible money launderer.