PDA

View Full Version : O/T Going into hospital next week sometime

Heather-SCOTGIRL
July 19th 03, 09:21 AM
I am going into hospital sometime next week to get an operation on my =
leg and was wondering if you guys had any hints and tips on how to pass =
the time while I am there.

I am not looking forward to it so is there any nice freebies out there =
to cheer me up while I go in?

regards

Heather

Joolz
July 19th 03, 12:37 PM
I had my first op two years ago :( and I have to say it was no-where =
near as bad as I thought it would be. The are so obsessed with pain =
management these days, I never suffered once.

Top tip .. Take some lip balm !!! You will need it after the op and you =
wont be allowed a drink for a couple of hours.
=20
Id also take something like the Argos catalogue too, only because Take a =
break an all them have scary operation stories in and I wasn't in a =
concentrating mood for competitions.

Good Luck and I hope you have a speedy recovery!!!

Joolz

Chris Nelis
July 19th 03, 12:52 PM
Take tons of cakes biscuits and crisps and sweets.

Eating junk food gives you something to do.

Its hours between meals, and sometimes the food is not great (depends on
each hospital)

Good Luck.

Chris

"Joolz" > wrote in
message ...
I had my first op two years ago :( and I have to say it was no-where near as
bad as I thought it would be. The are so obsessed with pain management these
days, I never suffered once.

Top tip .. Take some lip balm !!! You will need it after the op and you wont
be allowed a drink for a couple of hours.

Id also take something like the Argos catalogue too, only because Take a
break an all them have scary operation stories in and I wasn't in a
concentrating mood for competitions.

Good Luck and I hope you have a speedy recovery!!!

Joolz

Liz
July 19th 03, 12:57 PM
Take some moist baby wipes for your face great for removing make up and
keeping you feeling fresh Good Luck and remember the thinking of it is
nearly always worse than anything that actually happens Liz
"Chris Nelis" > wrote in message
> Take tons of cakes biscuits and crisps and sweets.
>
> Eating junk food gives you something to do.
>
> Its hours between meals, and sometimes the food is not great (depends on
> each hospital)
>
> Good Luck.
>
> Chris
>
> "Joolz" > wrote in
> message ...
> I had my first op two years ago :( and I have to say it was no-where near
as
> bad as I thought it would be. The are so obsessed with pain management
these
> days, I never suffered once.
>
> Top tip .. Take some lip balm !!! You will need it after the op and you
wont
> be allowed a drink for a couple of hours.
>
> Id also take something like the Argos catalogue too, only because Take a
> break an all them have scary operation stories in and I wasn't in a
> concentrating mood for competitions.
>
> Good Luck and I hope you have a speedy recovery!!!
>
> Joolz
>

> ---

Joolz
July 19th 03, 02:16 PM
Good point about the food.

I had the veggie option every day, much nicer, and if its not on the =
menu, they didn't mind going off to make me a cheese sarnie :)

Fruity sweets are good too.

--=20
Joolz
=20
Try your luck with these instant win prizes ...=20
http://tinyurl.com/hczs =3D =A3500 Cash
http://tinyurl.com/h7ya =3D Elton in Paris=20
http://tinyurl.com/h7y7 =3D DVD player=20
http://tinyurl.com/h7xv =3D =A350 flowers=20
=20
You can only try them once every 24 hours.

Jonny
July 20th 03, 01:02 AM
> I am going into hospital sometime next week to get an operation on my leg
> and was wondering if you guys had any hints and tips on how to pass the
time
> while I am there.
>
> I am not looking forward to it so is there any nice freebies out there to
> cheer me up while I go in?

The wife had her gaul bladder out recently, so here is her tips on what you
could do to pass the time....

Crossword Puzzles / Word search
knit - (if you can)
Cross stitch
Collect loads of magazines to read. (rally round your mates for them).
Personal Stereo
Laptop PC (if you got one) to play games
Write letters to friends
Art / Drawing
Write a diary
Read a book or three - catch up with Harry potter :-)
Audio books ( available from your local Library )
Remember to take your photographs

comfortable
July 20th 03, 02:15 AM
"Manic Poster" > wrote in message
:
: "Heather-SCOTGIRL" > wrote in message
: ...
: I am going into hospital sometime next week to get an operation on my leg
: and was wondering if you guys had any hints and tips on how to pass the
time
: while I am there.
:
: I am not looking forward to it so is there any nice freebies out there to
: cheer me up while I go in?
:
: regards
:
: Heather
:
: My mum's b/f just came out of hospital after a two week stay, he is 83
: although not fit has all his brain cells in tact, he was bored s***less.
:
: The food was good and he had access to the personal tv/radio/telephone
(with
: headphones). It works on a smart card system you can put £2.50 minimum on
it
: so if your hospital has this system take some loose change for the card
: machine.
:
I've spent the past three weeks visiting a friend in the Oncology Unit at
our local hospital and noticed the following;

Those systems are a total rip-off. In this area (North/East Yorks) it costs
£1.60 a day to view the telly (which never works properly) & 50p per minute
for the 'phone. Considering it's an independent telephone system & the
normal charge is 7.5p + unlimited time on local calls.

So my tip would be to take your mobile 'phone, an abundance of patience, a
good sense of humour & plenty of money because the 'mark-up' in the Hospital
shop is tantamount to 'Highway Robbery'!

Brad.

Blue Wezza
July 21st 03, 12:27 AM
Re: the mobile phone what you should do is go to an Orange shop or other
mobile phone store, and sign up for an orange anytime 200 (contract, £25
p/m) and pick a phone that is free. You get 200 minutes a month to any
network free, and 500 free texts.

Use the texts and the minutes up then when you get out (as long as it is
within 14 days of purchase) take the phone back and you will be charged a
percentage of the monthly charge ie. so 10 days would cost a third of 25
squids and the contract will be torn up!

Eh voila, very cheap calls!

Jonny
July 21st 03, 03:21 AM
> Re: the mobile phone what you should do is go to an Orange shop or other
> mobile phone store, and sign up for an orange anytime 200 (contract, £25
> p/m) and pick a phone that is free. You get 200 minutes a month to any
> network free, and 500 free texts.
>
> Use the texts and the minutes up then when you get out (as long as it is
> within 14 days of purchase) take the phone back and you will be charged a
> percentage of the monthly charge ie. so 10 days would cost a third of 25
> squids and the contract will be torn up!

This is a very good idea... but for one thing......
This posting is for a girl going into hospital for an operation on her leg.

Problem 1... hospitals have a thing about mobile phones, just like
aeroplanes.
Problem 2... She is going in for an operation on her leg, so she wont be
able to get around much to go outside and use it.

but its still a good idea anyway. :o)

Blue Wezza
July 21st 03, 12:00 PM
Slight flaws in my plan there!

Cheers

--
Blue Wezza
http://www.conceptconsultancy.com

July 21st 03, 12:10 PM
On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 08:21:08 +0100, "Heather-SCOTGIRL"
> wrote:

>I am going into hospital sometime next week to get an operation on my =
>leg and was wondering if you guys had any hints and tips on how to pass =
>the time while I am there.
>
>I am not looking forward to it so is there any nice freebies out there =
>to cheer me up while I go in?

A lot of hospitals have the "Patientline" system that lets you do
various things, check out: http://www.patientline.co.uk/

Hospitals won't let you take in mains powered electronic equipment
unless it has been tested by their own electricians. However, battery
powered stuff should be OK.

Hope your leg gets better soon!

sPoNiX

July 21st 03, 12:12 PM
On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 14:50:50 +0100, "Brownie"
> wrote:

>When I visited my other half she and the rest of the ward were well fed up
>with a complete ignoramous who, as if she wasn't fat enough, spent half the
>day eating McDonalds or fish and chips. The place stunk and the nurses
>could do nothing.

One of our local Hospitals even has a Burger King in reception!

sPoNiX

July 21st 03, 12:14 PM
On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 02:21:04 +0100, "Jonny" >
wrote:

>Problem 1... hospitals have a thing about mobile phones, just like
>aeroplanes.
>Problem 2... She is going in for an operation on her leg, so she wont be
>able to get around much to go outside and use it.
>
>but its still a good idea anyway. :o)

Check with the hospital. Our local one used to ban phones but have now
had a change of heart and allow them!

sPoNiX

Liz
July 24th 03, 05:53 PM
There's alway's one, is'nt there???
"Paul Dormer" > wrote in message
> You're looking for freebies in a hospital? Ok, well - gosh.. um.
> You could try bartering with the charity shop in the foyer, collecting
> together the coffee dregs out of some old cups.. hey you could bust a
> few quid out of the sanitary machine. Heck, freebies are everywhere.

Google