PDA

View Full Version : Re: 1.6 Gallon toilet- how long before it will pay for itself?

Cindy B.
June 23rd 03, 06:04 PM
On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 18:48:26 GMT, user > wrote:

> I keep seeing all these complaints about 1.6 gallon toilets, and
>am curious - we installed a bottom-of-the-line Toto from the
>local Big Box store in our rec-room bathroom. I think it cost
>$120.00. And we've never, ever, had to double-flush, in spite of,
>um, producing enough that would choke our 50 year old
>American Standard.

That's been our experience, too. We've had just 3 "problem" flushes
among our 3 Toto toilets in 5 years, and that's about the same as our
experience with the old-fashioned big-flush toilets. We had heard
about difficulties with 1.6 gpf toilets, so we told our builder not to
go cheap on us. He said not to worry--his plumbing supplier had found
a "foolproof" 1.6 gpf toilet (Toto) that had eliminated call-backs and
complaints they'd been getting about other brands. In fact, the
builder agreed to change out all the "other brand" 1.6 gpf toilets
they'd installed in a new subdivision, and put in Toto.

One hint about Toto--you can sort of regulate the amount of tank water
flowing into the bowl by holding down the flush lever. Holding it
down until the tank empties puts a lot more water in the bowl than
just "flicking" the lever (as somebody else here said). That
phenomenon seems to be dependent on the flush mechanism, though. We
replaced one of our flush valves when the rubber stuff went bad
(somebody in my family insists on putting bleach tablets in the
tanks). With the new flush mechanism, the character of the flush
changed and it was a "big flush" even when the flush handle was not
held down.

You can get a pressure-assist toilet for home use. I hate them. They
sound like jet engines and some of them produce an aerosol of bowl
water that I don't want to think about.

C. Brunner

Cindy B.
June 23rd 03, 06:04 PM
On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 18:48:26 GMT, user > wrote:

> I keep seeing all these complaints about 1.6 gallon toilets, and
>am curious - we installed a bottom-of-the-line Toto from the
>local Big Box store in our rec-room bathroom. I think it cost
>$120.00. And we've never, ever, had to double-flush, in spite of,
>um, producing enough that would choke our 50 year old
>American Standard.

That's been our experience, too. We've had just 3 "problem" flushes
among our 3 Toto toilets in 5 years, and that's about the same as our
experience with the old-fashioned big-flush toilets. We had heard
about difficulties with 1.6 gpf toilets, so we told our builder not to
go cheap on us. He said not to worry--his plumbing supplier had found
a "foolproof" 1.6 gpf toilet (Toto) that had eliminated call-backs and
complaints they'd been getting about other brands. In fact, the
builder agreed to change out all the "other brand" 1.6 gpf toilets
they'd installed in a new subdivision, and put in Toto.

One hint about Toto--you can sort of regulate the amount of tank water
flowing into the bowl by holding down the flush lever. Holding it
down until the tank empties puts a lot more water in the bowl than
just "flicking" the lever (as somebody else here said). That
phenomenon seems to be dependent on the flush mechanism, though. We
replaced one of our flush valves when the rubber stuff went bad
(somebody in my family insists on putting bleach tablets in the
tanks). With the new flush mechanism, the character of the flush
changed and it was a "big flush" even when the flush handle was not
held down.

You can get a pressure-assist toilet for home use. I hate them. They
sound like jet engines and some of them produce an aerosol of bowl
water that I don't want to think about.

C. Brunner

dm
June 25th 03, 03:39 AM
We had 1.6gpf Peerless at our new house. I don't understand how the previous
owners ever used them. I'd swear one piece of toilet paper and nothing else
could clog them. Truely a horrible experience.

We replaced all three with Kohler Wellworth available at Lowes or Homedepot.
One of the cheapest toilets around just under $100. Although it may not be
the best, it is amazing to see the difference. Haven't clogged yet, and
we've been performing stress tests that would have clogged our old 5gpf
toilets in a heartbeat.

One major word of caution though. These toilets can flush a lot with very
little water, but apparently the rest of the plumbing in our house couldn't
handle it. We ended up with a clog in the middle of our sewer line in the
house due to lots of stuff with too little water. Cost lots of $$ to snake
it out.

"Bob Ward" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 16:40:14 -0700, The Real Bev
> > wrote:
>
> >Doug Kanter wrote:
> >>
> >> Always try a bucket of very hot water before the plunger. If it works,
> >> you're at least saved the annoyance of having to clean the plunger.
> >
> >What if the bowl is full and you have to insert the plunger carefully to
> >avoid overflow? Under what other conditions does anybody need to plunge?
>

> The new design "plumber's helper" which is more flexble (like a
> bellows) is far superior to the old-fasshioned force cup.

Joann M. Hnat
June 29th 03, 07:28 AM
Cindy B. wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 18:48:26 GMT, user > wrote:
>

>> I keep seeing all these complaints about 1.6 gallon toilets, and
>>am curious - we installed a bottom-of-the-line Toto from the
>>local Big Box store in our rec-room bathroom. I think it cost
>>$120.00. And we've never, ever, had to double-flush, in spite of,
>>um, producing enough that would choke our 50 year old
>>American Standard.
>

> That's been our experience, too. We've had just 3 "problem" flushes
> among our 3 Toto toilets in 5 years, and that's about the same as our

Another delighted Toto owner here. My family gives the toilets a run for
their money. The mid-line Kohler downstairs clogs a couple times a
month, but the Toto has never clogged.

.. Joann

Joann M. Hnat
June 29th 03, 07:28 AM
Cindy B. wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 18:48:26 GMT, user > wrote:
>

>> I keep seeing all these complaints about 1.6 gallon toilets, and
>>am curious - we installed a bottom-of-the-line Toto from the
>>local Big Box store in our rec-room bathroom. I think it cost
>>$120.00. And we've never, ever, had to double-flush, in spite of,
>>um, producing enough that would choke our 50 year old
>>American Standard.
>

> That's been our experience, too. We've had just 3 "problem" flushes
> among our 3 Toto toilets in 5 years, and that's about the same as our

Another delighted Toto owner here. My family gives the toilets a run for
their money. The mid-line Kohler downstairs clogs a couple times a
month, but the Toto has never clogged.

.. Joann

Google