PDA

View Full Version : email forwarding - cheap, reliable

L Mehl
June 27th 03, 12:55 AM
Hello.

My domain is registered at GoDaddy.

Can people suggest a cheap and reliable way to have email addressed to
be available on my earthlink ISP account?

GoDaddy advertises that "Domain forwarding" is included in my registration,
and offers web/email for $9.95 / year. Are either of these options what I
want?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Larry Mehl

CA was in NJ
June 27th 03, 12:06 PM
L Mehl wrote:

>Can people suggest a cheap and reliable way to have email addressed to
be available on my earthlink ISP account?

Check out zoneedit.com. They do free DNS and mail forwarding, plus a bunch
of other stuff.

CA was in NJ
June 27th 03, 12:06 PM
L Mehl wrote:

>Can people suggest a cheap and reliable way to have email addressed to
be available on my earthlink ISP account?

Check out zoneedit.com. They do free DNS and mail forwarding, plus a bunch
of other stuff.

ny
June 27th 03, 11:38 PM
i uses namecheap.com.
namecheap.com offer 8.88 for domain name.
they also provide mail and url redirection service.

"L Mehl" > wrote in message
rthlink.net...
> Hello.
>
> My domain is registered at GoDaddy.
>
> Can people suggest a cheap and reliable way to have email addressed to
> be available on my earthlink ISP account?
>
> GoDaddy advertises that "Domain forwarding" is included in my
registration,
> and offers web/email for $9.95 / year. Are either of these options what I
> want?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> Larry Mehl
>

> ---

ny
June 27th 03, 11:38 PM
i uses namecheap.com.
namecheap.com offer 8.88 for domain name.
they also provide mail and url redirection service.

"L Mehl" > wrote in message
rthlink.net...
> Hello.
>
> My domain is registered at GoDaddy.
>
> Can people suggest a cheap and reliable way to have email addressed to
> be available on my earthlink ISP account?
>
> GoDaddy advertises that "Domain forwarding" is included in my
registration,
> and offers web/email for $9.95 / year. Are either of these options what I
> want?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> Larry Mehl
>

> ---

Nancy McGough
June 28th 03, 10:13 AM
On 28 Jun 2003 Gordon Reeder ) wrote:

> On the other hand, www.powweb.com can provide all
> this and host your web sit for $7.77 per mo.

Before you sign up with powweb.com, I suggest that you read the
section on my IMAP Service Providers page about them, which is
here:

<http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/imap/isps/#powweb>

This page includes a comparison of over a hundred IMAP providers
and many of them include forwarding services so maybe it will
help you to find a provider who meets your needs.

Good luck finding a good provider,
Nancy

--
Nancy McGough <http://www.ii.com> Infinite Ink
Writing about procmail, imap, pine, spam-deflexion strategies & more

Nancy McGough
June 28th 03, 10:13 AM
On 28 Jun 2003 Gordon Reeder ) wrote:

> On the other hand, www.powweb.com can provide all
> this and host your web sit for $7.77 per mo.

Before you sign up with powweb.com, I suggest that you read the
section on my IMAP Service Providers page about them, which is
here:

<http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/imap/isps/#powweb>

This page includes a comparison of over a hundred IMAP providers
and many of them include forwarding services so maybe it will
help you to find a provider who meets your needs.

Good luck finding a good provider,
Nancy

--
Nancy McGough <http://www.ii.com> Infinite Ink
Writing about procmail, imap, pine, spam-deflexion strategies & more

ny
June 28th 03, 04:16 PM
cheap registration...
but can we fully control the domain.
some provider help you to register at cheap rate,
in the end hijack your domain name, threaten you to host with them.

"Gordon Reeder" > wrote in message
> (ny) wrote in
> >:
>
> >i uses namecheap.com.
> >namecheap.com offer 8.88 for domain name.
> >they also provide mail and url redirection service.
>
> On the other hand, www.powweb.com can provide all
> this and host your web sit for $7.77 per mo.
>
> --
> Just my $0.02 worth. Hope it helps
> Gordon Reeder
> greeder
> at: myself.com

ny
June 28th 03, 04:16 PM
cheap registration...
but can we fully control the domain.
some provider help you to register at cheap rate,
in the end hijack your domain name, threaten you to host with them.

"Gordon Reeder" > wrote in message
> (ny) wrote in
> >:
>
> >i uses namecheap.com.
> >namecheap.com offer 8.88 for domain name.
> >they also provide mail and url redirection service.
>
> On the other hand, www.powweb.com can provide all
> this and host your web sit for $7.77 per mo.
>
> --
> Just my $0.02 worth. Hope it helps
> Gordon Reeder
> greeder
> at: myself.com

Timo Autiokari
July 19th 03, 07:19 PM
(Gordon Reeder) wrote in message >...

> On the other hand, www.powweb.com can provide all
> this and host your web sit for $7.77 per mo.

Beware of powweb. Really. I had my site hosted by powweb for an year,
just recently I had to move the site in emergency since powweb shut it
off from the web for the second time.

On both cases their claim was that a script on my site made their
system unreliable. They did not specify what was the name of the
script, I asked that twice. If you read http://forum.powweb.com you
will quickly realize that this is the modus operandi of powweb, they
just shut down the sites they host, on very vaque claims. On this
second last ime my site was totally unavailable of for about a week.
And I did not have any seriously resource consuming scripts on my site
just a tranquil discussion forum (less than 10 post per day) and a
site search tool (less than 20 searches per day).

On the page http://www.powweb.com/webhosting.html they btw claim "24/7
Fast & Responsive Support" and "24/7/365 Network Monitoring System"
both a big lies. It seems to be one-man-enterprise and in case of any
trouble the best you can hope for is next-working-day from 9 to 5 only
but usually it takes 2 or more days.

They also claim to have 24h phone support at +1 310 278 8926. Well,
the phone-line is there... and an answering-machine. I called them
well over 40 times during my one gonizing one year as their customer,
there is *never* a human being on the line, just the answering
machine: "Thank you for calling powweb, the perfect hosting provider.
All our customer support people are currently serving other customers,
please hold on-line and you will be attended to as soon as possible."
So the phone support is a total lie too.

I do not go into details of their absolutely ridiculous responses to
emailed support requests, they actually do react and/or answer, but
only after 2 to 6 days. I just say that, really and honestly, with my
education, BScEE / Data Communications, mostly I did not understood at
all how their answers related to my requests. Many times I could have
been ROTFLOLWTIME been it not that my site or other important service
of powweb was down.

Oh, if you still believe that their offerings are worth someting
please do read the http://forum.powweb.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14
(their General Support Issues -forum). Note the amount of the "site
down" messages... and remember that the downtime is calucated in days
or weeks, not hours or minutes. Also note the amount of xxx down,
where xxx is a name of a planet of an other heavenly body. The
question is then about one of their servers, most of them are named
after a heavenly body.

I could go on and on and on, there is enough material in my inbox to
write a hefty book, during my one year affliction with them they
managed to completely rewrite the techniques on how the Internet
communication works.

Timo Autiokari
http://www.aim-dtp.net

Timo Autiokari
July 19th 03, 07:19 PM
> [...]

been ROTFLOLWTIME been it not that my site or other important service
of powweb was down.

Oh, if you still believe that their offerings are worth someting
please do read the http://forum.powweb.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14
(their General Support Issues -forum). Note the amount of the "site
down" messages... and remember that the downtime is calucated in days
or weeks, not hours or minutes. Also note the amount of xxx down,
where xxx is a name of a planet of an other heavenly body. The
question is then about one of their servers, most of them are named
after a heavenly body.

I could go on and on and on, there is enough material in my inbox to
write a hefty book, during my one year affliction with them they
managed to completely rewrite the techniques on how the Internet

July 22nd 03, 08:00 PM
Thank you all for the information.

Larry Mehl

"L Mehl" > wrote in message
rthlink.net...
> Hello.
>
> My domain is registered at GoDaddy.
>
> Can people suggest a cheap and reliable way to have email addressed to
> be available on my earthlink ISP account?
>
> GoDaddy advertises that "Domain forwarding" is included in my
registration,
> and offers web/email for $9.95 / year. Are either of these options what I
> want?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> Larry Mehl
>

> ---

Timo Autiokari
July 22nd 03, 08:53 PM
Hello Gordon,

indeed, there are many good appraisal sites... but there are some that
just are run by some service providers... not objective.

I have found it rather difficult to puchace services over the Net. It
is far more reliable to buy goods such as HW, one knows excactly what
one will get and in my opinion it is also very secure since companies
that have the right to charge credit cards will not jeopardize that
right very easily.

With services, particularly with the Web hosting services, it is often
very difficult to fully understand what one will get. For example at
the time I purchased the powweb account their web pages advertized
24/7 customer support, it took me some 3 days (the first time their
server was down) to realize that this support was just plainly their
discussion forum only.

I also have been looking at iPowerWeb, they are now (accepted to)
advertizing on Netsol pages (the nameserver provider for my doman) so
possibly they are decently reliable. To tell the truth I skipped them
solely because of the reason that their name resembles so much the
powweb.

I now have my site on at www.nebula.fi (top quality Finnish service
provider), I sent some questions about their service at about midnight
Friday and got the answers back some 10 minutes later. After that it
was not a difficult choise at all!

BR,
Timo Autiokari

(Gordon Reeder) wrote in message >...
> Thanks Timo. I have been dooing some more sesearch into
> Web hosting services and have found several web sites
> where users can post comments or vote on their favorite
> web hosts. I have noticed than Powweb has some very
> low scores. There is another service called iPowerWeb
> that offers pretty much the same package as Powweb but
> they have much better scores and users say much nicer
> things about them. There are others too. Anyway
> anyone looking for these kinds of services only needs to
> Google on the keyword "Web Hosting" and lots of sites
> come up, including many sites that cataloge and rate the
> web hosting companies.
>

> (Timo Autiokari) wrote in
> >:
>
> (Gordon Reeder) wrote in message
> >
> >> On the other hand, www.powweb.com can provide all
> >> this and host your web sit for $7.77 per mo.
> >
> >Beware of powweb. Really. I had my site hosted by powweb for an year,
> >just recently I had to move the site in emergency since powweb shut it
> >off from the web for the second time.
> >

> >Timo Autiokari
> >http://www.aim-dtp.net

Google