PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions For One Piece of Furniture Move

IC_Clearly
June 29th 03, 06:06 PM
I have a large armoire that I need to move from New York city to Atlanta (I
live in Atlanta). The size is 84"h X 44"w X 23"l and it weighs about 225
lbs. I have looked at renting a truck, but the rates from NY to Atl are all
between $1000 to $1500 (interestingly they are 60% less going the other
way). I also looked into renting a car and attaching a rental trailer, but
the major car rental companies do not allow towing.

I'm down to driving my own car to NY and renting a trailer. But, even a one
way trailer from NY is around $400 plus the gas for the two way trip.

I am interested in your suggestions for other options.

Thanks.

--
IC

lpogoda
June 29th 03, 06:17 PM
IC_Clearly wrote in message ...
>I have a large armoire that I need to move from New York city to Atlanta (I
>live in Atlanta). The size is 84"h X 44"w X 23"l and it weighs about 225
>lbs. I have looked at renting a truck, but the rates from NY to Atl are
all
>between $1000 to $1500 (interestingly they are 60% less going the other
>way). I also looked into renting a car and attaching a rental trailer, but
>the major car rental companies do not allow towing.
>
>I'm down to driving my own car to NY and renting a trailer. But, even a
one
>way trailer from NY is around $400 plus the gas for the two way trip.
>
>I am interested in your suggestions for other options.

How much is the armoire worth? Sell the old one in NY. Buy a new one in
Atlanta.

lpogoda
June 29th 03, 06:17 PM
IC_Clearly wrote in message ...
>I have a large armoire that I need to move from New York city to Atlanta (I
>live in Atlanta). The size is 84"h X 44"w X 23"l and it weighs about 225
>lbs. I have looked at renting a truck, but the rates from NY to Atl are
all
>between $1000 to $1500 (interestingly they are 60% less going the other
>way). I also looked into renting a car and attaching a rental trailer, but
>the major car rental companies do not allow towing.
>
>I'm down to driving my own car to NY and renting a trailer. But, even a
one
>way trailer from NY is around $400 plus the gas for the two way trip.
>
>I am interested in your suggestions for other options.

How much is the armoire worth? Sell the old one in NY. Buy a new one in
Atlanta.

JazzMan
June 29th 03, 06:18 PM
IC_Clearly wrote:

> I have a large armoire that I need to move from New York city to Atlanta (I
> live in Atlanta). The size is 84"h X 44"w X 23"l and it weighs about 225
> lbs. I have looked at renting a truck, but the rates from NY to Atl are all
> between $1000 to $1500 (interestingly they are 60% less going the other
> way). I also looked into renting a car and attaching a rental trailer, but
> the major car rental companies do not allow towing.
>
> I'm down to driving my own car to NY and renting a trailer. But, even a one
> way trailer from NY is around $400 plus the gas for the two way trip.
>
> I am interested in your suggestions for other options.

Look into used truck prices in both cities. See if there's
a way to buy a truck in one city, resell it in the other,
maybe make some money on the deal. Or, if you don't mind
a lot of driving, buy the truck, move what needs to be
moved, then drive back and resell it.

Got any friends with a truck? Work out a short term lease
with them to rent it for a week.

JazzMan
--
***************************************
Please reply to jsavage"at"airmail.net.

JazzMan
June 29th 03, 06:18 PM
IC_Clearly wrote:

> I have a large armoire that I need to move from New York city to Atlanta (I
> live in Atlanta). The size is 84"h X 44"w X 23"l and it weighs about 225
> lbs. I have looked at renting a truck, but the rates from NY to Atl are all
> between $1000 to $1500 (interestingly they are 60% less going the other
> way). I also looked into renting a car and attaching a rental trailer, but
> the major car rental companies do not allow towing.
>
> I'm down to driving my own car to NY and renting a trailer. But, even a one
> way trailer from NY is around $400 plus the gas for the two way trip.
>
> I am interested in your suggestions for other options.

Look into used truck prices in both cities. See if there's
a way to buy a truck in one city, resell it in the other,
maybe make some money on the deal. Or, if you don't mind
a lot of driving, buy the truck, move what needs to be
moved, then drive back and resell it.

Got any friends with a truck? Work out a short term lease
with them to rent it for a week.

JazzMan
--
***************************************
Please reply to jsavage"at"airmail.net.
Curse those darned bulk e-mailers!
***************************************

Patricia
June 29th 03, 06:37 PM
> I have a large armoire that I need to move from New York city to Atlanta (I
> live in Atlanta). The size is 84"h X 44"w X 23"l and it weighs about 225
> lbs. I have looked at renting a truck, but the rates from NY to Atl are all
> between $1000 to $1500 (interestingly they are 60% less going the other
> way). I also looked into renting a car and attaching a rental trailer, but
> the major car rental companies do not allow towing.
>
> I'm down to driving my own car to NY and renting a trailer. But, even a one
> way trailer from NY is around $400 plus the gas for the two way trip.
>
> I am interested in your suggestions for other options.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> IC
====

Hi...

When we were downsizing and needed to move some things to our children
living in various places....I called "major" movers and asked if they could
piggy back these items when they had space on large household moves to these
locations.

It had to be done on their schedule, of course ....but it was much less
expensive than renting a truck and driving to New Jersey, Florida and
California. Major movers like Bekins, etc. are reliable, trustworthy and
since they do so much moving...have more frequent trips to major cities.

Atlanta, with it's busy corporate climate, should be frequent stop...Good
luck.

Patricia

Patricia
June 29th 03, 06:37 PM

====

Hi...

When we were downsizing and needed to move some things to our children
living in various places....I called "major" movers and asked if they could
piggy back these items when they had space on large household moves to these
locations.

It had to be done on their schedule, of course ....but it was much less
expensive than renting a truck and driving to New Jersey, Florida and
California. Major movers like Bekins, etc. are reliable, trustworthy and
since they do so much moving...have more frequent trips to major cities.

Atlanta, with it's busy corporate climate, should be frequent stop...Good
luck.

Patricia

John W. Wells
June 29th 03, 06:54 PM
On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 11:06:51 -0500, "IC_Clearly"
> wrote:

>I have a large armoire that I need to move from New York city to Atlanta (I
>live in Atlanta). The size is 84"h X 44"w X 23"l and it weighs about 225
>lbs. I have looked at renting a truck, but the rates from NY to Atl are all
>between $1000 to $1500 (interestingly they are 60% less going the other
>way). I also looked into renting a car and attaching a rental trailer, but
>the major car rental companies do not allow towing.
>
>I'm down to driving my own car to NY and renting a trailer. But, even a one
>way trailer from NY is around $400 plus the gas for the two way trip.
>
>I am interested in your suggestions for other options.

Where I live (Oregon) one can scarcely drive more than a few miles
before seeing a trailer of some sort sitting in a field or driveway
with a 'for sale' hung on it.

I would think rural Georgia would be the same. Ought to be able to
pick up a little trailer for a couple hundred (carefully check tires
and wheel bearings--if possible avoid one with those dinky little
wheels!), and then you'll OWN it for future hauling.

I bought (brand new) a 5'x10' Big Tex flat bed trailer 8 years ago for
$700. Hardly used it at all for the first 7 years, but then last
year...! For me it's been a good investment.

--JWW

John W. Wells
June 29th 03, 06:54 PM
On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 11:06:51 -0500, "IC_Clearly"
> wrote:

>I have a large armoire that I need to move from New York city to Atlanta (I
>live in Atlanta). The size is 84"h X 44"w X 23"l and it weighs about 225
>lbs. I have looked at renting a truck, but the rates from NY to Atl are all
>between $1000 to $1500 (interestingly they are 60% less going the other
>way). I also looked into renting a car and attaching a rental trailer, but
>the major car rental companies do not allow towing.
>
>I'm down to driving my own car to NY and renting a trailer. But, even a one
>way trailer from NY is around $400 plus the gas for the two way trip.
>
>I am interested in your suggestions for other options.

Where I live (Oregon) one can scarcely drive more than a few miles
before seeing a trailer of some sort sitting in a field or driveway
with a 'for sale' hung on it.

I would think rural Georgia would be the same. Ought to be able to
pick up a little trailer for a couple hundred (carefully check tires
and wheel bearings--if possible avoid one with those dinky little
wheels!), and then you'll OWN it for future hauling.

I bought (brand new) a 5'x10' Big Tex flat bed trailer 8 years ago for
$700. Hardly used it at all for the first 7 years, but then last
year...! For me it's been a good investment.

--JWW

Ermalina
June 29th 03, 07:50 PM
IC_Clearly wrote:

> I have a large armoire that I need to move from New York city to Atlanta (I
> live in Atlanta). The size is 84"h X 44"w X 23"l and it weighs about 225
> lbs. I have looked at renting a truck, but the rates from NY to Atl are all
> between $1000 to $1500 (interestingly they are 60% less going the other
> way). I also looked into renting a car and attaching a rental trailer, but
> the major car rental companies do not allow towing.
>
> I'm down to driving my own car to NY and renting a trailer. But, even a one
> way trailer from NY is around $400 plus the gas for the two way trip.
>
> I am interested in your suggestions for other options.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> IC

A [sort of] similar question came up a while back and I did a bit of
googling and found some pretty favorable reviews of an outfit called
"ABF U-Pack".

If you're interested, here's a link to that post where you can also look
at the complete thread:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3E778B9F.F029B68F%40yahoo.com

Though the previous post was about moving more goods and wanted to load
up the van at their home, I checked out the ABF U-Pack site (
http://upack.com ) for the kind of move you're talking about.

I found out that they also appear to accommodate people, like you, who
have only small amounts to move IF you are willing to do what they call
a "terminal-to-terminal" move, meaning: you take the item(s) to one of
their terminals (they have several in the NYC area) and, after the move,
you pick up the item at one of their terminals (they have several in the
Atlanta area).

Here's a link to the page on the ABF U-Pack site that deals with
terminal-to-terminal moves:

http://www.upack.com/t2t.asp

Here's some of the text from that page:

Because many customers have a modest amount of goods to move or limited
parking at their home, ABF U-Pack recognizes the need for small moves.
ABF U-Pack is your small move solution.

The terminal-to-terminal move option offered by ABF U-Pack Moving is
ideal for the price conscious customer

* Offers substantial savings over the traditional
U-Pack move option
* PAY ONLY FOR THE SPACE YOU USE, YOU CAN USE AS
LITTLE AS 3 FEET [emphasis added]
* An assembled bulkhead wall is always provided
* Fuel and taxes are included in the price

The terminal-to-terminal move option works much like a regular U-Pack
Move

* ABF has 300+ terminal facilities throughout the
U.S. and Canada. We will provide you with the
location(s) nearest you
* You simply load the trailer at the origin ABF
terminal
* ABF provides the transportation in between
* You unload the trailer at the destination ABF
terminal

Ermalina
June 29th 03, 07:50 PM
IC_Clearly wrote:

> I have a large armoire that I need to move from New York city to Atlanta (I
> live in Atlanta). The size is 84"h X 44"w X 23"l and it weighs about 225
> lbs. I have looked at renting a truck, but the rates from NY to Atl are all
> between $1000 to $1500 (interestingly they are 60% less going the other
> way). I also looked into renting a car and attaching a rental trailer, but
> the major car rental companies do not allow towing.
>
> I'm down to driving my own car to NY and renting a trailer. But, even a one
> way trailer from NY is around $400 plus the gas for the two way trip.
>
> I am interested in your suggestions for other options.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> IC

A [sort of] similar question came up a while back and I did a bit of
googling and found some pretty favorable reviews of an outfit called
"ABF U-Pack".

If you're interested, here's a link to that post where you can also look
at the complete thread:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3E778B9F.F029B68F%40yahoo.com

Though the previous post was about moving more goods and wanted to load
up the van at their home, I checked out the ABF U-Pack site (
http://upack.com ) for the kind of move you're talking about.

I found out that they also appear to accommodate people, like you, who
have only small amounts to move IF you are willing to do what they call
a "terminal-to-terminal" move, meaning: you take the item(s) to one of
their terminals (they have several in the NYC area) and, after the move,
you pick up the item at one of their terminals (they have several in the
Atlanta area).

Here's a link to the page on the ABF U-Pack site that deals with
terminal-to-terminal moves:

http://www.upack.com/t2t.asp

Here's some of the text from that page:

Because many customers have a modest amount of goods to move or limited
parking at their home, ABF U-Pack recognizes the need for small moves.
ABF U-Pack is your small move solution.

The terminal-to-terminal move option offered by ABF U-Pack Moving is
ideal for the price conscious customer

* Offers substantial savings over the traditional
U-Pack move option
* PAY ONLY FOR THE SPACE YOU USE, YOU CAN USE AS
LITTLE AS 3 FEET [emphasis added]
* An assembled bulkhead wall is always provided
* Fuel and taxes are included in the price

The terminal-to-terminal move option works much like a regular U-Pack
Move

* ABF has 300+ terminal facilities throughout the
U.S. and Canada. We will provide you with the
location(s) nearest you
* You simply load the trailer at the origin ABF
terminal
* ABF provides the transportation in between
* You unload the trailer at the destination ABF
terminal

gini52
June 29th 03, 11:42 PM
"IC_Clearly" > wrote in message
> I've actually received a quote from U-Pack. I would need 3' of space and
> their cost was about $600. Most of the trailer would not be used since
you
> are renting the entire 3 linear feet of their trailer (which includes the
> height and width maybe 9' tall and 8' wide). It is an option, though.
>
> Thanks.
===
Can the piece be disassembled? Before you answer, look at its construction.
You might
be surprised at how easily it comes apart.
===
===

> [...]
> > ABF U-Pack is your small move solution.
> >
> > The terminal-to-terminal move option offered by ABF U-Pack Moving is
> > ideal for the price conscious customer
> >
> > * Offers substantial savings over the traditional
> > U-Pack move option
> > * PAY ONLY FOR THE SPACE YOU USE, YOU CAN USE AS
> > LITTLE AS 3 FEET [emphasis added]
> > * An assembled bulkhead wall is always provided
> > * Fuel and taxes are included in the price
> >
> > The terminal-to-terminal move option works much like a regular U-Pack
> > Move
> >
> > * ABF has 300+ terminal facilities throughout the
> > U.S. and Canada. We will provide you with the
> > location(s) nearest you
> > * You simply load the trailer at the origin ABF
> > terminal
> > * ABF provides the transportation in between
> > * You unload the trailer at the destination ABF

gini52
June 29th 03, 11:42 PM
"IC_Clearly" > wrote in message
> I've actually received a quote from U-Pack. I would need 3' of space and
> their cost was about $600. Most of the trailer would not be used since
you
> are renting the entire 3 linear feet of their trailer (which includes the
> height and width maybe 9' tall and 8' wide). It is an option, though.
>
> Thanks.
===
> [...]
> > ABF U-Pack is your small move solution.
> >
> > The terminal-to-terminal move option offered by ABF U-Pack Moving is
> > ideal for the price conscious customer
> >
> > * Offers substantial savings over the traditional
> > U-Pack move option
> > * PAY ONLY FOR THE SPACE YOU USE, YOU CAN USE AS
> > LITTLE AS 3 FEET [emphasis added]
> > * An assembled bulkhead wall is always provided
> > * Fuel and taxes are included in the price
> >
> > The terminal-to-terminal move option works much like a regular U-Pack
> > Move
> >
> > * ABF has 300+ terminal facilities throughout the
> > U.S. and Canada. We will provide you with the
> > location(s) nearest you
> > * You simply load the trailer at the origin ABF
> > terminal
> > * ABF provides the transportation in between
> > * You unload the trailer at the destination ABF

art
June 30th 03, 03:51 AM
Most large armoires break down.....(otherwise known as KD) Look carefully at
how it's assembled. Even antique ones were designed to be dissasembled and
rebuilt as they were usually too large to move up to second and third
floors.

Art

"gini52" > wrote in message

> [...]
> > > ABF U-Pack is your small move solution.
> > >
> > > The terminal-to-terminal move option offered by ABF U-Pack Moving is
> > > ideal for the price conscious customer
> > >
> > > * Offers substantial savings over the traditional
> > > U-Pack move option
> > > * PAY ONLY FOR THE SPACE YOU USE, YOU CAN USE AS
> > > LITTLE AS 3 FEET [emphasis added]
> > > * An assembled bulkhead wall is always provided
> > > * Fuel and taxes are included in the price
> > >
> > > The terminal-to-terminal move option works much like a regular U-Pack
> > > Move
> > >
> > > * ABF has 300+ terminal facilities throughout the
> > > U.S. and Canada. We will provide you with the
> > > location(s) nearest you
> > > * You simply load the trailer at the origin ABF
> > > terminal
> > > * ABF provides the transportation in between
> > > * You unload the trailer at the destination ABF

silvasurfa
June 30th 03, 02:45 PM
"ameijers" > wrote in message
Any big antique store in NYC would know the procedures for
> shipping furniture.
>
> aem sends...

What would be ideal would be if there was an antique store with shops in
both cities... they'd have no problem at all shipping it for him for the
right price.

silvasurfa
June 30th 03, 02:45 PM
"ameijers" > wrote in message
Any big antique store in NYC would know the procedures for
> shipping furniture.
>
> aem sends...

What would be ideal would be if there was an antique store with shops in
both cities... they'd have no problem at all shipping it for him for the
right price.

Herb
June 30th 03, 07:47 PM
Rent a large van from an auto rental company, preferably outside NYC
where the rates will be lower.

--

Herb
Boulder, CO

"Patricia" > wrote in message

> > I have a large armoire that I need to move from New York city to
Atlanta (I
> > live in Atlanta). The size is 84"h X 44"w X 23"l and it weighs
about 225
> > lbs. I have looked at renting a truck, but the rates from NY to Atl
are all
> > between $1000 to $1500 (interestingly they are 60% less going the
other
> > way). I also looked into renting a car and attaching a rental
trailer, but
> > the major car rental companies do not allow towing.
> >
> > I'm down to driving my own car to NY and renting a trailer. But,
even a one
> > way trailer from NY is around $400 plus the gas for the two way
trip.

> > I am interested in your suggestions for other options.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > --
> > IC
> ====
>
> Hi...
>
> When we were downsizing and needed to move some things to our children
> living in various places....I called "major" movers and asked if they
could
> piggy back these items when they had space on large household moves to
these
> locations.
>
> It had to be done on their schedule, of course ....but it was much
less
> expensive than renting a truck and driving to New Jersey, Florida and
> California. Major movers like Bekins, etc. are reliable, trustworthy
and
> since they do so much moving...have more frequent trips to major
cities.

> Atlanta, with it's busy corporate climate, should be frequent
stop...Good
> luck.
>
> Patricia

Fritz M
June 30th 03, 08:03 PM
"mari" > wrote:

> Why not look into shipping it air freight?

Another option might be rail, including Amtrak Express. They ship pallets.

RFM
--
To reply, translate domain from l33+ 2p33|< to alpha.
4=a 0=o 3=e +=t

Fritz M
June 30th 03, 08:03 PM
"mari" > wrote:

> Why not look into shipping it air freight?

Another option might be rail, including Amtrak Express. They ship pallets.

RFM
--
To reply, translate domain from l33+ 2p33|< to alpha.
4=a 0=o 3=e +=t

juliehh
July 1st 03, 02:28 AM
> >I have a large armoire that I need to move from New York city to Atlanta
(I
> >live in Atlanta). The size is 84"h X 44"w X 23"l and it weighs about 225
> >lbs. I have looked at renting a truck, but the rates from NY to Atl are
all
> >between $1000 to $1500 (interestingly they are 60% less going the other
> >way). I also looked into renting a car and attaching a rental trailer,
but
> >the major car rental companies do not allow towing.
> >
> >I'm down to driving my own car to NY and renting a trailer. But, even a
one
> >way trailer from NY is around $400 plus the gas for the two way trip.
> >
> >I am interested in your suggestions for other options.

i have a very large one also. it breaks down into 5 pieces - foot, top, and
three upright sections.
julie

juliehh
July 1st 03, 02:28 AM
> >I have a large armoire that I need to move from New York city to Atlanta
(I
> >live in Atlanta). The size is 84"h X 44"w X 23"l and it weighs about 225
> >lbs. I have looked at renting a truck, but the rates from NY to Atl are
all
> >between $1000 to $1500 (interestingly they are 60% less going the other
> >way). I also looked into renting a car and attaching a rental trailer,
but
> >the major car rental companies do not allow towing.
> >
> >I'm down to driving my own car to NY and renting a trailer. But, even a
one
> >way trailer from NY is around $400 plus the gas for the two way trip.
> >
> >I am interested in your suggestions for other options.

i have a very large one also. it breaks down into 5 pieces - foot, top, and
three upright sections.
julie

Google