PDA

View Full Version : Re: Frugal birthday present?

P. Newman
June 30th 03, 03:03 PM
On my mother's 80th birthday I had each member of the family
write down why my mother was special to them. My 2 sisters
and I each wrote 20 reasons, the sons-in-law each wrote 10
and the 2 grandchildren each wrote 15. I typed up each
reason with the persons name, folded them and put them in a
heart shape box with a gold bow. She read each one aloud
and it was a wonderful celebration. She keeps the heart
shape box on her coffe table to remind her what she means to
us.

None of us compared what we were writing and it was
interesting for everyone to hear what the others wrote.

Here are some of the samples:

You came to watch me dance, cheer, swim, dive and
gymnastics.
You saved all the newspaper clippings about me.
You saved the mug with the frog at the bottom for 25 years.

You had a drawer full of my favorite candy.
You got me a Cabbage Patch Doll.
You've always been there to help me when I needed it.

You stayed with me when I couldn't walk.
You never criticized by blue hair or piercings.
You keep telling me what a good job we've done raising our kids
You're never too busy to listen to my problems
You're always happy to see me
You have such a good time hanging out with your senior friends
You took us to the beach
You didn't make me clean my room
You did an extraordinary job raising us all by yourself
You didn't make me eat noodles and gravy (by the way, the
pot roast was okay) and other goodies I didn't like
You let me get dirty
You always make me glad to be home.
The first time I came to New Jersey, you told a great joke
about a certain cucumber during the picnic in your yard. I
knew then that you'd make a perfect mother-in-law
You taught my kids there's a higher authority to reckon with
than just their parents
You let me play with my plastic saw on your furniture

Get the picture?

Pat In NJ

On 6/29/2003 12:57 PM, Semi-Detached wrote:

> Oh no my moms birthday is in a few days, I dont know what to do or what I
> should get her, what do I do? Can someone please help me? Oh my gawd I can't
> believe it snuck up on me again like this.

P. Newman
June 30th 03, 03:03 PM
On my mother's 80th birthday I had each member of the family
write down why my mother was special to them. My 2 sisters
and I each wrote 20 reasons, the sons-in-law each wrote 10
and the 2 grandchildren each wrote 15. I typed up each
reason with the persons name, folded them and put them in a
heart shape box with a gold bow. She read each one aloud
and it was a wonderful celebration. She keeps the heart
shape box on her coffe table to remind her what she means to
us.

None of us compared what we were writing and it was
interesting for everyone to hear what the others wrote.

Here are some of the samples:

You came to watch me dance, cheer, swim, dive and
gymnastics.
You saved all the newspaper clippings about me.
You saved the mug with the frog at the bottom for 25 years.

You had a drawer full of my favorite candy.
You got me a Cabbage Patch Doll.
You've always been there to help me when I needed it.

You stayed with me when I couldn't walk.
You never criticized by blue hair or piercings.
You keep telling me what a good job we've done raising our kids
You're never too busy to listen to my problems
You're always happy to see me
You have such a good time hanging out with your senior friends
You took us to the beach
You didn't make me clean my room
You did an extraordinary job raising us all by yourself
You didn't make me eat noodles and gravy (by the way, the
pot roast was okay) and other goodies I didn't like
You let me get dirty
You always make me glad to be home.
The first time I came to New Jersey, you told a great joke
about a certain cucumber during the picnic in your yard. I
knew then that you'd make a perfect mother-in-law
You taught my kids there's a higher authority to reckon with
than just their parents
You let me play with my plastic saw on your furniture

Get the picture?

Pat In NJ

On 6/29/2003 12:57 PM, Semi-Detached wrote:

> Oh no my moms birthday is in a few days, I dont know what to do or what I
> should get her, what do I do? Can someone please help me? Oh my gawd I can't
> believe it snuck up on me again like this.

Patricia
June 30th 03, 03:39 PM
> From: "P. Newman" >
> Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
> Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 13:03:24 GMT
> Subject: Re: Frugal birthday present?
>
> On my mother's 80th birthday I had each member of the family
> write down why my mother was special to them. My 2 sisters
> and I each wrote 20 reasons, the sons-in-law each wrote 10
> and the 2 grandchildren each wrote 15. I typed up each
> reason with the persons name, folded them and put them in a
> heart shape box with a gold bow. She read each one aloud
> and it was a wonderful celebration. She keeps the heart
> shape box on her coffe table to remind her what she means to
> us.
>

> None of us compared what we were writing and it was
> interesting for everyone to hear what the others wrote.
>
> Here are some of the samples:
>
> You came to watch me dance, cheer, swim, dive and
> gymnastics.
> You saved all the newspaper clippings about me.
> You saved the mug with the frog at the bottom for 25 years.
>
> You had a drawer full of my favorite candy.
> You got me a Cabbage Patch Doll.
> You've always been there to help me when I needed it.
>
> You stayed with me when I couldn't walk.
> You never criticized by blue hair or piercings.
> You keep telling me what a good job we've done raising our kids
> You're never too busy to listen to my problems
> You're always happy to see me
> You have such a good time hanging out with your senior friends
> You took us to the beach
> You didn't make me clean my room
> You did an extraordinary job raising us all by yourself
> You didn't make me eat noodles and gravy (by the way, the
> pot roast was okay) and other goodies I didn't like
> You let me get dirty
> You always make me glad to be home.
> The first time I came to New Jersey, you told a great joke
> about a certain cucumber during the picnic in your yard. I
> knew then that you'd make a perfect mother-in-law
> You taught my kids there's a higher authority to reckon with
> than just their parents
> You let me play with my plastic saw on your furniture
>

> Get the picture?
>
> Pat In NJ
---

Yes, Pat..... I did and it was a lovely picture.

As a wife and mother of four, mother-in-law of four, grandmother of 11 ....
I feel the best gift is time.

A private lunch, a personal phone call just to the birthday celebrant, a
copy of an old and cherished photo (with the reason why they saved it) all
are tender gestures that would make almost anyone feel special...

Patricia
Florida

Patricia
June 30th 03, 03:39 PM
> From: "P. Newman" >
> Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
> Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 13:03:24 GMT
> Subject: Re: Frugal birthday present?
>
> On my mother's 80th birthday I had each member of the family
> write down why my mother was special to them. My 2 sisters
> and I each wrote 20 reasons, the sons-in-law each wrote 10
> and the 2 grandchildren each wrote 15. I typed up each
> reason with the persons name, folded them and put them in a
> heart shape box with a gold bow. She read each one aloud
> and it was a wonderful celebration. She keeps the heart
> shape box on her coffe table to remind her what she means to
> us.
>

> None of us compared what we were writing and it was
> interesting for everyone to hear what the others wrote.
>
> Here are some of the samples:
>
> You came to watch me dance, cheer, swim, dive and
> gymnastics.
> You saved all the newspaper clippings about me.
> You saved the mug with the frog at the bottom for 25 years.
>
> You had a drawer full of my favorite candy.
> You got me a Cabbage Patch Doll.
> You've always been there to help me when I needed it.
>
> You stayed with me when I couldn't walk.
> You never criticized by blue hair or piercings.
> You keep telling me what a good job we've done raising our kids
> You're never too busy to listen to my problems
> You're always happy to see me
> You have such a good time hanging out with your senior friends
> You took us to the beach
> You didn't make me clean my room
> You did an extraordinary job raising us all by yourself
> You didn't make me eat noodles and gravy (by the way, the
> pot roast was okay) and other goodies I didn't like
> You let me get dirty
> You always make me glad to be home.
> The first time I came to New Jersey, you told a great joke
> about a certain cucumber during the picnic in your yard. I
> knew then that you'd make a perfect mother-in-law
> You taught my kids there's a higher authority to reckon with
> than just their parents
> You let me play with my plastic saw on your furniture
>

> Get the picture?
>
> Pat In NJ
---

Yes, Pat..... I did and it was a lovely picture.

As a wife and mother of four, mother-in-law of four, grandmother of 11 ....
I feel the best gift is time.

A private lunch, a personal phone call just to the birthday celebrant, a
copy of an old and cherished photo (with the reason why they saved it) all
are tender gestures that would make almost anyone feel special...

Patricia
Florida

Patricia
June 30th 03, 04:01 PM
> From: Pat Meadows >
> Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
> Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 09:54:52 -0400
> Subject: Re: Frugal birthday present?
>
> On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 13:39:43 GMT, Patricia
> > wrote:
>

>>> Pat In NJ
>> ---
>>
>> Yes, Pat..... I did and it was a lovely picture.
>>
>> As a wife and mother of four, mother-in-law of four, grandmother of 11 ....
>> I feel the best gift is time.
>>
>> A private lunch, a personal phone call just to the birthday celebrant, a
>> copy of an old and cherished photo (with the reason why they saved it) all
>> are tender gestures that would make almost anyone feel special...
>>
>> Patricia
>> Florida
>>

> Hey, there are three of us here! At least three...maybe we
> can take over the world!
>
> Another Pat (Pat Meadows)
-----

I've done my best to organize my little part of the world... LOL

I've appointed myself as "director of limiting expenditures" for the South
East....what's your territory ? (G)

Patricia
Florida

Patricia
June 30th 03, 04:01 PM

-----

I've done my best to organize my little part of the world... LOL

I've appointed myself as "director of limiting expenditures" for the South
East....what's your territory ? (G)

Patricia
Florida

R.White
June 30th 03, 07:07 PM
(Semi-Detached) wrote in message >...
> Oh no my moms birthday is in a few days, I dont know what to do or what I
> should get her, what do I do? Can someone please help me? Oh my gawd I can't
> believe it snuck up on me again like this.

Knit her a sweater using some cat hair and your old heroin needles.

R.White
June 30th 03, 07:07 PM
(Semi-Detached) wrote in message >...
> Oh no my moms birthday is in a few days, I dont know what to do or what I
> should get her, what do I do? Can someone please help me? Oh my gawd I can't
> believe it snuck up on me again like this.

Knit her a sweater using some cat hair and your old heroin needles.

linda-renee
July 1st 03, 12:49 AM
"Jo Anne Slaven" > wrote in message

> Don K wrote:

> > Yes, unfortunately for those of us who have lost parents, the
> > answer to Semi-Detached's question is painfully obvious.

> (I lost her a month ago. I'm glad I had the opportunity to make her
> treasured garden look pretty in her last days.)

I am so sorry for everyone who has lost parents. I lost my dad four years
ago, and I'm going to lose my mother soon.

Her 70th birthday is in two weeks. She lives out of state. She just spent
a month in the hospital, and has no appetite (ruling out dinner plans). She
is actively dying of colon cancer. I am thinking of going to see her on
what is probably going to be her last birthday. We will be taking her cat
home with us for good, at her request. She is not religious, so I don't
think she is comforted by thoughts of the hereafter. We were estranged for
the last three years, but have reconciled with this illness. I will only
have the weekend available.

I am afraid this is going to turn morbid and awful. On what turned out to
be his last birthday, I sent my dad a jar of edibles--his favorite chocolate
snacks. He made a comment about me sending something that was consumable
because he wouldn't be around to enjoy something more durable.

Would appreciate any useful thoughts. TIA.

linda-renee
July 1st 03, 12:49 AM
"Jo Anne Slaven" > wrote in message

> Don K wrote:

> > Yes, unfortunately for those of us who have lost parents, the
> > answer to Semi-Detached's question is painfully obvious.

> (I lost her a month ago. I'm glad I had the opportunity to make her
> treasured garden look pretty in her last days.)

I am so sorry for everyone who has lost parents. I lost my dad four years
ago, and I'm going to lose my mother soon.

Her 70th birthday is in two weeks. She lives out of state. She just spent
a month in the hospital, and has no appetite (ruling out dinner plans). She
is actively dying of colon cancer. I am thinking of going to see her on
what is probably going to be her last birthday. We will be taking her cat
home with us for good, at her request. She is not religious, so I don't
think she is comforted by thoughts of the hereafter. We were estranged for
the last three years, but have reconciled with this illness. I will only
have the weekend available.

I am afraid this is going to turn morbid and awful. On what turned out to
be his last birthday, I sent my dad a jar of edibles--his favorite chocolate
snacks. He made a comment about me sending something that was consumable
because he wouldn't be around to enjoy something more durable.

Would appreciate any useful thoughts. TIA.

Patricia
July 1st 03, 01:30 AM
> From: "linda-renee" <[email protected]!net.>
> Her 70th birthday is in two weeks. She lives out of state. She just spent
> a month in the hospital, and has no appetite (ruling out dinner plans). She
> is actively dying of colon cancer. I am thinking of going to see her on
> what is probably going to be her last birthday. We will be taking her cat
> home with us for good, at her request. She is not religious, so I don't
> think she is comforted by thoughts of the hereafter. We were estranged for
> the last three years, but have reconciled with this illness. I will only
> have the weekend available.
>
> I am afraid this is going to turn morbid and awful. On what turned out to
> be his last birthday, I sent my dad a jar of edibles--his favorite chocolate
> snacks. He made a comment about me sending something that was consumable
> because he wouldn't be around to enjoy something more durable.
>
> Would appreciate any useful thoughts. TIA.
-------------

You have done a good thing in resolving the estrangement and being with her
for a time....even a weekend can be an opportunity to help ease her leaving
this sad old world.

The gift of your time is most precious. Let her set the pace and listen as
long as you can...she may have more to tell you then you can imagine. I can
imagine that it will be hard for you but in time you will be glad you did.

I wish you strength.....
Patricia

Patricia
July 1st 03, 01:30 AM
> From: "linda-renee" <[email protected]!net.>
> Her 70th birthday is in two weeks. She lives out of state. She just spent
> a month in the hospital, and has no appetite (ruling out dinner plans). She
> is actively dying of colon cancer. I am thinking of going to see her on
> what is probably going to be her last birthday. We will be taking her cat
> home with us for good, at her request. She is not religious, so I don't
> think she is comforted by thoughts of the hereafter. We were estranged for
> the last three years, but have reconciled with this illness. I will only
> have the weekend available.
>
> I am afraid this is going to turn morbid and awful. On what turned out to
> be his last birthday, I sent my dad a jar of edibles--his favorite chocolate
> snacks. He made a comment about me sending something that was consumable
> because he wouldn't be around to enjoy something more durable.
>
> Would appreciate any useful thoughts. TIA.
-------------

You have done a good thing in resolving the estrangement and being with her
for a time....even a weekend can be an opportunity to help ease her leaving
this sad old world.

The gift of your time is most precious. Let her set the pace and listen as
long as you can...she may have more to tell you then you can imagine. I can
imagine that it will be hard for you but in time you will be glad you did.

I wish you strength.....
Patricia

Chloe
July 1st 03, 03:25 AM
"linda-renee" <[email protected]!net.> wrote in message

> I am so sorry for everyone who has lost parents. I lost my dad four years
> ago, and I'm going to lose my mother soon.
>
> Her 70th birthday is in two weeks. She lives out of state. She just
spent
> a month in the hospital, and has no appetite (ruling out dinner plans).
She
> is actively dying of colon cancer. I am thinking of going to see her on
> what is probably going to be her last birthday. We will be taking her cat
> home with us for good, at her request. She is not religious, so I don't
> think she is comforted by thoughts of the hereafter. We were estranged
for
> the last three years, but have reconciled with this illness. I will only
> have the weekend available.
>
> I am afraid this is going to turn morbid and awful. On what turned out to
> be his last birthday, I sent my dad a jar of edibles--his favorite
chocolate
> snacks. He made a comment about me sending something that was consumable
> because he wouldn't be around to enjoy something more durable.

When you say actively dying I'm not sure whether to take that to mean she
knows her time is very short. If that's the case and since you say she isn't
religious, what I would want her to know is that her best qualities will
live on in you and in her granddaughter--and from there, for who knows how
many generations hence.

Otherwise, I'd take the cue from her, whether she wants to just be together
and be quiet mostly, or maybe spend some time reminiscing about memorable
times in your lives together. My own personal prescription is to be as
genuine about your feelings as you can be and still focus on the positive
things about your relationship. I'm not exactly offering it as advice
because I'm not sure this would work for everyone.

You have my heartfelt sympathy. Do the best you can, and then accept that
you've done your best. Don't ask more.

Chloe
July 1st 03, 03:25 AM
"linda-renee" <[email protected]!net.> wrote in message

> I am so sorry for everyone who has lost parents. I lost my dad four years
> ago, and I'm going to lose my mother soon.
>
> Her 70th birthday is in two weeks. She lives out of state. She just
spent
> a month in the hospital, and has no appetite (ruling out dinner plans).
She
> is actively dying of colon cancer. I am thinking of going to see her on
> what is probably going to be her last birthday. We will be taking her cat
> home with us for good, at her request. She is not religious, so I don't
> think she is comforted by thoughts of the hereafter. We were estranged
for
> the last three years, but have reconciled with this illness. I will only
> have the weekend available.
>
> I am afraid this is going to turn morbid and awful. On what turned out to
> be his last birthday, I sent my dad a jar of edibles--his favorite
chocolate
> snacks. He made a comment about me sending something that was consumable
> because he wouldn't be around to enjoy something more durable.

When you say actively dying I'm not sure whether to take that to mean she
knows her time is very short. If that's the case and since you say she isn't
religious, what I would want her to know is that her best qualities will
live on in you and in her granddaughter--and from there, for who knows how
many generations hence.

Otherwise, I'd take the cue from her, whether she wants to just be together
and be quiet mostly, or maybe spend some time reminiscing about memorable
times in your lives together. My own personal prescription is to be as
genuine about your feelings as you can be and still focus on the positive
things about your relationship. I'm not exactly offering it as advice
because I'm not sure this would work for everyone.

You have my heartfelt sympathy. Do the best you can, and then accept that
you've done your best. Don't ask more.

Joyce
July 1st 03, 05:14 AM
On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 18:49:15 -0400, "linda-renee"
<[email protected]!net.> wrote:

>I am so sorry for everyone who has lost parents. I lost my dad four years
>ago, and I'm going to lose my mother soon.
>
>Her 70th birthday is in two weeks. She lives out of state. She just spent
>a month in the hospital, and has no appetite (ruling out dinner plans). She
>is actively dying of colon cancer. I am thinking of going to see her on
>what is probably going to be her last birthday. We will be taking her cat
>home with us for good, at her request. She is not religious, so I don't
>think she is comforted by thoughts of the hereafter. We were estranged for
>the last three years, but have reconciled with this illness. I will only
>have the weekend available.
>
>I am afraid this is going to turn morbid and awful. On what turned out to
>be his last birthday, I sent my dad a jar of edibles--his favorite chocolate
>snacks. He made a comment about me sending something that was consumable
>because he wouldn't be around to enjoy something more durable.
>
>Would appreciate any useful thoughts. TIA.

You have already given your mother a wonderful gift by agreeing to
take her cat and giving him a home. The future of my pets is a grave
concern for me, and I'm sure it's a great relief to her to know he
will be well cared for by you and your daughter. That's one of the
kindest and most loving gestures you can make.
Joyce

<[email protected]!net.> wrote:

>I am so sorry for everyone who has lost parents. I lost my dad four years
>ago, and I'm going to lose my mother soon.
>
>Her 70th birthday is in two weeks. She lives out of state. She just spent
>a month in the hospital, and has no appetite (ruling out dinner plans). She
>is actively dying of colon cancer. I am thinking of going to see her on
>what is probably going to be her last birthday. We will be taking her cat
>home with us for good, at her request. She is not religious, so I don't
>think she is comforted by thoughts of the hereafter. We were estranged for
>the last three years, but have reconciled with this illness. I will only
>have the weekend available.
>
>I am afraid this is going to turn morbid and awful. On what turned out to
>be his last birthday, I sent my dad a jar of edibles--his favorite chocolate
>snacks. He made a comment about me sending something that was consumable
>because he wouldn't be around to enjoy something more durable.
>
>Would appreciate any useful thoughts. TIA.

You have already given your mother a wonderful gift by agreeing to
take her cat and giving him a home. The future of my pets is a grave
concern for me, and I'm sure it's a great relief to her to know he
will be well cared for by you and your daughter. That's one of the
kindest and most loving gestures you can make.
Joyce

Me
July 1st 03, 01:17 PM
In article >,
(Semi-Detached) wrote:

> Oh no my moms birthday is in a few days, I dont know what to do or what I
> should get her, what do I do? Can someone please help me? Oh my gawd I can't
> believe it snuck up on me again like this.

The only common denominator about moms that I know of is that most of
them seem to value the gift of time with their kids above all else. How
about spending the day with your mom? Go out to a museum or a movie
with her and a nice lunch or dinner. That's my mom's standard request
for Mothers Day and her birthday and it might be just what your mom
would appreciate most. If you want to buy your mom a gift, maybe
her favorite perfume would be a nice gift, but without knowing the
slightest thing about what your mother enjoys, its hard to make good
suggestions since the best gift depends entirely on her interests.

Me
July 1st 03, 01:17 PM
In article >,
(Semi-Detached) wrote:

> Oh no my moms birthday is in a few days, I dont know what to do or what I
> should get her, what do I do? Can someone please help me? Oh my gawd I can't
> believe it snuck up on me again like this.

The only common denominator about moms that I know of is that most of
them seem to value the gift of time with their kids above all else. How
about spending the day with your mom? Go out to a museum or a movie
with her and a nice lunch or dinner. That's my mom's standard request
for Mothers Day and her birthday and it might be just what your mom
would appreciate most. If you want to buy your mom a gift, maybe
her favorite perfume would be a nice gift, but without knowing the
slightest thing about what your mother enjoys, its hard to make good
suggestions since the best gift depends entirely on her interests.

silvasurfa
July 1st 03, 01:50 PM
"linda-renee" <[email protected]!net.> wrote in message

> I am so sorry for everyone who has lost parents. I lost my dad four years
> ago, and I'm going to lose my mother soon.
>
> Her 70th birthday is in two weeks. She lives out of state. She just
spent
> a month in the hospital, and has no appetite (ruling out dinner plans).
She
> is actively dying of colon cancer. I am thinking of going to see her on
> what is probably going to be her last birthday. We will be taking her cat
> home with us for good, at her request. She is not religious, so I don't
> think she is comforted by thoughts of the hereafter. We were estranged
for
> the last three years, but have reconciled with this illness. I will only
> have the weekend available.

> Would appreciate any useful thoughts. TIA.

Take in your photo-albums. Maybe pay for someone else who matters to her to
visit her too.

silvasurfa
July 1st 03, 01:50 PM
"linda-renee" <[email protected]!net.> wrote in message

> I am so sorry for everyone who has lost parents. I lost my dad four years
> ago, and I'm going to lose my mother soon.
>
> Her 70th birthday is in two weeks. She lives out of state. She just
spent
> a month in the hospital, and has no appetite (ruling out dinner plans).
She
> is actively dying of colon cancer. I am thinking of going to see her on
> what is probably going to be her last birthday. We will be taking her cat
> home with us for good, at her request. She is not religious, so I don't
> think she is comforted by thoughts of the hereafter. We were estranged
for
> the last three years, but have reconciled with this illness. I will only
> have the weekend available.

> Would appreciate any useful thoughts. TIA.

Take in your photo-albums. Maybe pay for someone else who matters to her to
visit her too.

John Savage
July 5th 03, 03:13 AM
"silvasurfa" > writes:
>"linda-renee" <[email protected]!net.> wrote in message
>>
>> I am so sorry for everyone who has lost parents. I lost my dad four years
>> ago, and I'm going to lose my mother soon.
>>
>> Her 70th birthday is in two weeks. She lives out of state. She just

>Take in your photo-albums. Maybe pay for someone else who matters to her to
>visit her too.

Yes. Take with you the photos you have of when you were growing up. It
will take you both back to happier times to talk about, and it may well
be your last chance to fill in the blanks on the details about a couple
of snaps where the time and place each was taken has puzzled you.

Strength at this sad time. I bet the weekend goes all too fast.
--
John Savage (news reply email invalid; keep news replies in newsgroup)

John Savage
July 5th 03, 03:13 AM
"silvasurfa" > writes:
>"linda-renee" <[email protected]!net.> wrote in message
>>
>> I am so sorry for everyone who has lost parents. I lost my dad four years
>> ago, and I'm going to lose my mother soon.
>>
>> Her 70th birthday is in two weeks. She lives out of state. She just

>Take in your photo-albums. Maybe pay for someone else who matters to her to
>visit her too.

Yes. Take with you the photos you have of when you were growing up. It
will take you both back to happier times to talk about, and it may well
be your last chance to fill in the blanks on the details about a couple
of snaps where the time and place each was taken has puzzled you.

Strength at this sad time. I bet the weekend goes all too fast.
--
John Savage (news reply email invalid; keep news replies in newsgroup)

Google