PDA

View Full Version : Long Distance Telephone Problem. Can't Figure It Out.

June 30th 03, 03:05 PM
For about two months I have had problems with calling long distance.
If I attempt a call I almost aways get a request to "dial it again" or
supply "a Access Code."

I have had Verizon check the lines from their office three times. They
always claim there is no trouble in the lines, that it probably is a
phone problem. Interestingly, after they do a check the trouble goes
away for awhile, only to return worse than before.

No indication I need a new battery. I am about to buy a new cordless
phone to replace what I have. But I wonder if anyone can explain what
may be happening.

Thanks\

Allan

SlinkyToy
June 30th 03, 04:09 PM
Are you CERTAIN that Verizon is your LD carrier? That "access code" thing
sounds like a third-party trying to hijack your calls. Also a possibility,
the switch at the other end of the call is having trouble; does the
behaviour occur all the time, or only with certain numbers?

> wrote in message
> For about two months I have had problems with calling long distance.
> If I attempt a call I almost aways get a request to "dial it again" or
> supply "a Access Code."
>
> I have had Verizon check the lines from their office three times. They
> always claim there is no trouble in the lines, that it probably is a
> phone problem. Interestingly, after they do a check the trouble goes
> away for awhile, only to return worse than before.
>
> No indication I need a new battery. I am about to buy a new cordless
> phone to replace what I have. But I wonder if anyone can explain what
> may be happening.
>
> Thanks\
>
> Allan

SlinkyToy
June 30th 03, 04:09 PM
Are you CERTAIN that Verizon is your LD carrier? That "access code" thing
sounds like a third-party trying to hijack your calls. Also a possibility,
the switch at the other end of the call is having trouble; does the
behaviour occur all the time, or only with certain numbers?

> wrote in message
> For about two months I have had problems with calling long distance.
> If I attempt a call I almost aways get a request to "dial it again" or
> supply "a Access Code."
>
> I have had Verizon check the lines from their office three times. They
> always claim there is no trouble in the lines, that it probably is a
> phone problem. Interestingly, after they do a check the trouble goes
> away for awhile, only to return worse than before.
>
> No indication I need a new battery. I am about to buy a new cordless
> phone to replace what I have. But I wonder if anyone can explain what
> may be happening.
>
> Thanks\
>
> Allan

July 1st 03, 03:54 AM
"Are you CERTAIN that Verizon is your LD carrier? That "access code"
thing sounds like a third-party trying to hijack your calls. Also a
possibility, the switch at the other end of the call is having trouble;
does the behaviour occur all the time, or only with certain numbers?"
Verizon is my local and long distance carrier. The problem comes and
goes, but is getting worse.
When it happens it affects all my LD calls.

I have an old cord phone I will connect to the line to see if the
problem persists through more than one phone. If it does than Verizon
is going to come out and do more than "check the line". Heck, I have
been paying to cover repairs, let them fix it.

Thanks for your help

Allan

July 1st 03, 03:54 AM
"Are you CERTAIN that Verizon is your LD carrier? That "access code"
thing sounds like a third-party trying to hijack your calls. Also a
possibility, the switch at the other end of the call is having trouble;
does the behaviour occur all the time, or only with certain numbers?"
Verizon is my local and long distance carrier. The problem comes and
goes, but is getting worse.
When it happens it affects all my LD calls.

I have an old cord phone I will connect to the line to see if the
problem persists through more than one phone. If it does than Verizon
is going to come out and do more than "check the line". Heck, I have
been paying to cover repairs, let them fix it.

Thanks for your help

Allan

SlinkyToy
July 1st 03, 05:34 AM
Your phone device IS NOT the issue. The phone device in your home CANNOT
reroute your calls, demand an access code, or blast a busy signal. Those
are all switch - ie, telco carrier - functions. The question is whose
switch is responsible for the behaviour - Verizon's switch, or the switch at
the terminal end of the call?

Do all of your LD numbers have something in common? All in one area code?
The same area of the country? Same state?

Demand to speak to a switch tech, and demand that they grep the switch logs
as you're making test calls. This may involve you needing to have a mobile
phone available - you'll need to be talking to the tech during a call via
your landline to be sure s/he is actually watching the call in the switch.
You may need to make a pest of yourself. People who don't understand how
phone switching works generally have a hard time explaining to the techs
exactly what behaviour is happening and where it may be located. Techs have
a habit of dismissing illiterate individuals who call with problems such as
those you've described. [Ed: Don't ask me how I know this.]

Shooting your line to ensure you've got a hot wire isn't adequate in this
situation. The goons need to watch the calls in the switch and see where
the calls are falling down. Keep in mind, if Verizon's switch is routing
the call properly (meaning the problem is on the terminal end) Verizon won't
do much, if anything, to remedy the situation. Possibly somebody at Verizon
will notify the terminal telco, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I suppose another possibility is that you live in an area with high traffic
over the local Verizon switch and that you're calling during peak use
periods. If the switch is running at full load you might get a fast-busy,
but this doesn't account for the other odd behaviour.

> [...]

periods. If the switch is running at full load you might get a fast-busy,
but this doesn't account for the other odd behaviour.

> wrote in message
> "Are you CERTAIN that Verizon is your LD carrier? That "access code"
> thing sounds like a third-party trying to hijack your calls. Also a
> possibility, the switch at the other end of the call is having trouble;
> does the behaviour occur all the time, or only with certain numbers?"
> Verizon is my local and long distance carrier. The problem comes and
> goes, but is getting worse.
> When it happens it affects all my LD calls.
>
> I have an old cord phone I will connect to the line to see if the
> problem persists through more than one phone. If it does than Verizon
> is going to come out and do more than "check the line". Heck, I have
> been paying to cover repairs, let them fix it.

Me
July 1st 03, 01:13 PM
In article >,
(Karen Wheless) wrote:

> > No indication I need a new battery. I am about to buy a new cordless
> > phone to replace what I have. But I wonder if anyone can explain what
> > may be happening.
>
> Buying a new phone doesn't seem like it will help - any connection
> problem has to be a problem with the line or your account or something
> like that. If you needed a new battery in your phone, it might beep or
> die on you, but it wouldn't ask you for an access code.

Exactly, and a failing battery on a cordless phone would effect
all calls, both long distance and local and both outgoing and
incoming. I suggest the OP simply try switching to a different
LD carrier to see what happens, esp. since its not as if Verizon
offers the lowest LD rates anyway.

Me
July 1st 03, 01:13 PM
In article >,
(Karen Wheless) wrote:

> > No indication I need a new battery. I am about to buy a new cordless
> > phone to replace what I have. But I wonder if anyone can explain what
> > may be happening.
>
> Buying a new phone doesn't seem like it will help - any connection
> problem has to be a problem with the line or your account or something
> like that. If you needed a new battery in your phone, it might beep or
> die on you, but it wouldn't ask you for an access code.

Exactly, and a failing battery on a cordless phone would effect
all calls, both long distance and local and both outgoing and
incoming. I suggest the OP simply try switching to a different
LD carrier to see what happens, esp. since its not as if Verizon
offers the lowest LD rates anyway.

Google