PDA

View Full Version : Re: Lawnmower tips

Albert Wagner
June 30th 03, 10:09 AM
On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 08:35:34 -0400
Pat Meadows > wrote:
<snip>
Ditto. There is no way I could push a mower any more. I have probably
gone through several dozen mowers over the years and today own my all
time favorite: 6hp Toro Personal Pace.

Pat Meadows > wrote:
<snip>
Ditto. There is no way I could push a mower any more. I have probably
gone through several dozen mowers over the years and today own my all
time favorite: 6hp Toro Personal Pace.

res6l2wx
June 30th 03, 07:55 PM
To top post or not top post - that is the question.
Yes, a reel mower is my choice for a yard. Could you give more
details on this sharpening procedure you mention? I will also mention that
adjusting the bed so as to make good contact with the reel requires a little
care.

Cheers
John GW
"Anthony Giorgianni" > wrote in message
> [...]

> are FUN to use. I live in a condo unfortunately, but two of my friends
have
> these. I help one of them keep the machine running great. We sharpen it by
> "lapping" - spreading this gritty stuff on the reel (the paddle), removing
> wheel and cranking the machine in the opposite direction. The thing will
be
> sharp enough to sheer paper!
>
> And because it is light, it usually requires no greater effort to push it
> than a non-self-propelled gas mower.
>
> They are not a good choice if you let the grass grow long or have many
> weeds. But otherwise, they are great. And that soft fluttering sound you
> hear when you cut will bring back childhood memories. And you'll feel
> wonderful saving money on gas and knowing you're not polluting.
>
> There is something so simple and elegant about these machines!

Anthony Giorgianni
June 30th 03, 09:02 PM
Sure John

Lapping is the method that professionals who maintain golf courses use to
sharpen their reel mowers (Golf courses traditionally use powered reel
mowers instead of the rotary blade mowers).

Lapping is really easy. Properly adjust and clean the reel and bed knife,
spread the goop on the reel with a brush, take a wheel off the mower, attach
a handle to the drive axle and crack backwards. This sharpens the reel and
bed knife.

Lapping kits are widely available for $20 or less. You can see one here:

http://www.reelin.com/amprod.htm

But shop around.

Lapping will not fixed bents or damaged reels, by the way. But it sure does
make the mower sharp.

Also, you don't get a lot of the sharpening compound with he kit or even if
you buy it separately, unless you buy giants containers of the stuff that
gold courses uses, which is way too much. An alterative is to find a
friendly golf course grounds department and buy a cup or so from them from
time to time.

There also is an interesting pdf document about reel mowers (mostly applies
to the big golf course reel mowers). But it gives you the theory and a lot
of neat info on reel mowers, mush more than you'll ever want to know :o) It
is on the following page, toward the bottom.

http://www.toro.com/iphrase/iphrase.cgi?query=reel+mower&render=1

This also is interesting:

http://www.reelin.com/amtips.htm

I should add, by the way, that my friend has a .9 acre yard and has a
backup powered mower just in case things get out of hand, as they did this
spring when it rained most the time here in New England. She used her
powered mower once because the grass had gotten so long. An non-powered
reel mower also can be a bit of a struggle in very dense grass. But to me
struggle=exercise.

--
Regards,
Anthony Giorgianni

(I prefer that you reply by posting back to the newsgroup. If you must
email: remove "killspam" from reply address. This email address will be
valid for a short time only.)

"res6l2wx" > wrote in message
> To top post or not top post - that is the question.
> Yes, a reel mower is my choice for a yard. Could you give more
> details on this sharpening procedure you mention? I will also mention
that
> adjusting the bed so as to make good contact with the reel requires a
little
> care.
>
> Cheers
> John GW
> "Anthony Giorgianni" > wrote in message
> > 11. If you are mowing a 1/4 to 1/2 acre, try an non-powered reel mower -
> and
> > forget about noise, fumes and dangers.
> >
> > These mowers are lighter and better than when many of us were kids. And
> they
> > are FUN to use. I live in a condo unfortunately, but two of my friends
> have
> > these. I help one of them keep the machine running great. We sharpen it
by
> > "lapping" - spreading this gritty stuff on the reel (the paddle),
removing
> > wheel and cranking the machine in the opposite direction. The thing will
> be
> > sharp enough to sheer paper!
> >
> > And because it is light, it usually requires no greater effort to push
it
> > than a non-self-propelled gas mower.
> >
> > They are not a good choice if you let the grass grow long or have many
> > weeds. But otherwise, they are great. And that soft fluttering sound you
> > hear when you cut will bring back childhood memories. And you'll feel
> > wonderful saving money on gas and knowing you're not polluting.
> >
> > There is something so simple and elegant about these machines!
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Anthony Giorgianni

Google