PDA

View Full Version : Re: Is There A Trend Toward Voluntary Simplicity And A Connection

Dennis
June 30th 03, 05:07 PM
On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 12:12:44 -0400, JohnDoe <> wrote:

>On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 08:38:22 -0700, Dennis > wrote:
>
>>On 29 Jun 2003 09:34:31 GMT, (JoelnCaryn)
>>wrote:
>>
>>>And people don't even have the excuse of tiny, tiny, tiny little brains.
>>
>>Consider: a tiny, tiny, tiny little brain operating at full throttle
>>may be functionally equivalent to larger brain sputtering along at
>>idle.
>>
>which describes you?

Well, let's just say that when I hear the whine of a pesky Kortlander
buzzing around my head, I barely need to be conscious to swat him
down.

the Dennis formerly known as (evil)

Dennis
June 30th 03, 05:07 PM
On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 12:12:44 -0400, JohnDoe <> wrote:

>On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 08:38:22 -0700, Dennis > wrote:
>
>>On 29 Jun 2003 09:34:31 GMT, (JoelnCaryn)
>>wrote:
>>
>>>And people don't even have the excuse of tiny, tiny, tiny little brains.
>>
>>Consider: a tiny, tiny, tiny little brain operating at full throttle
>>may be functionally equivalent to larger brain sputtering along at
>>idle.
>>
>which describes you?

Well, let's just say that when I hear the whine of a pesky Kortlander
buzzing around my head, I barely need to be conscious to swat him
down.

the Dennis formerly known as (evil)

IleneB
July 2nd 03, 04:06 PM
In article >, Elizabeth Jones
> wrote:

> >8). Gas Station

May I ask again why it would be useful to walk to a gas station?

Ilene B

IleneB
July 2nd 03, 04:06 PM
In article >, Elizabeth Jones
> wrote:

> >8). Gas Station

May I ask again why it would be useful to walk to a gas station?

Ilene B

Dennis
July 2nd 03, 05:50 PM
On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 10:06:37 -0400, IleneB > wrote:

>In article >, Elizabeth Jones
> wrote:
>
>> >8). Gas Station
>

>May I ask again why it would be useful to walk to a gas station?

To fill up the gas can to feed the lawnmower.

the Dennis formerly known as (evil)

Dennis
July 2nd 03, 05:50 PM
On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 10:06:37 -0400, IleneB > wrote:

>In article >, Elizabeth Jones
> wrote:
>
>> >8). Gas Station
>

>May I ask again why it would be useful to walk to a gas station?

To fill up the gas can to feed the lawnmower.

the Dennis formerly known as (evil)

Neil
July 2nd 03, 07:00 PM
IleneB > wrote in message >...
> In article >, Elizabeth Jones
> > wrote:
>
> > >8). Gas Station
>

> May I ask again why it would be useful to walk to a gas station?
>
> Ilene B

Maybe "service station" or something referring to auto repair would
have been clearer. Anyway, as I think someone already posted in this
thread, the advantage would be that if you needed to drop your car off
for repairs, you could walk wherever you needed to go, then walk back
to the repair shop when the work was done.

BTW, I lived about a mile from downtown when I was single and being
able to get my gas nearby, as well as getting service and repair
nearby, was very convenient.

But the biggest convenience was having very little need of a car at
all! Sometimes a week or two would pass and I wouldn't drive at all; I
could walk everywhere I needed to go, including to my job.

Neil
July 2nd 03, 07:00 PM
IleneB > wrote in message >...
> In article >, Elizabeth Jones
> > wrote:
>
> > >8). Gas Station
>

> May I ask again why it would be useful to walk to a gas station?
>
> Ilene B

Maybe "service station" or something referring to auto repair would
have been clearer. Anyway, as I think someone already posted in this
thread, the advantage would be that if you needed to drop your car off
for repairs, you could walk wherever you needed to go, then walk back
to the repair shop when the work was done.

BTW, I lived about a mile from downtown when I was single and being
able to get my gas nearby, as well as getting service and repair
nearby, was very convenient.

But the biggest convenience was having very little need of a car at
all! Sometimes a week or two would pass and I wouldn't drive at all; I
could walk everywhere I needed to go, including to my job.

Stella Hackell
July 2nd 03, 09:48 PM
IleneB > wrote in message >...

> In article >, Elizabeth Jones
> > wrote:
>
> > >8). Gas Station
>

> May I ask again why it would be useful to walk to a gas station?
>
> Ilene B

To put air in your bike tires?
To buy one gallon of gasoline for your lawnmower?
To buy a candy bar at 3 AM?
I can't think of anything else.

Stella

Stella Hackell
July 2nd 03, 09:48 PM
IleneB > wrote in message >...

> In article >, Elizabeth Jones
> > wrote:
>
> > >8). Gas Station
>

> May I ask again why it would be useful to walk to a gas station?
>
> Ilene B

To put air in your bike tires?
To buy one gallon of gasoline for your lawnmower?
To buy a candy bar at 3 AM?
I can't think of anything else.

Stella

Elizabeth Jones
July 3rd 03, 02:24 PM
In article >,
IleneB > wrote:
>In article >, Elizabeth Jones
> wrote:
>
>> >8). Gas Station
>

>May I ask again why it would be useful to walk to a gas station?

To get gas for the lawnmower.
To drop the car off to have work done on it, and be able to
walk home and do something useful with my time.

--
Ebeth Jones
"a ranch style imbues our next listing" -- realtor-speak

Elizabeth Jones
July 3rd 03, 02:24 PM
In article >,
IleneB > wrote:
>In article >, Elizabeth Jones
> wrote:
>
>> >8). Gas Station
>

>May I ask again why it would be useful to walk to a gas station?

To get gas for the lawnmower.
To drop the car off to have work done on it, and be able to
walk home and do something useful with my time.

--
Ebeth Jones
"a ranch style imbues our next listing" -- realtor-speak

IleneB
July 3rd 03, 05:33 PM
In article >, Elizabeth Jones
> wrote:

> To drop the car off to have work done on it, and be able to
> walk home and do something useful with my time.

Thank you. I honestly was drawing a blank, because the "gas stations" a
mile from my house are self-serve with convenience counter chains for
the interstate- no work is done there on cars. They sell a lot of
coffee, though. My mechanic is two miles away, and you're right about
the convenience.

Ilene B

IleneB
July 3rd 03, 05:33 PM
In article >, Elizabeth Jones
> wrote:

> To drop the car off to have work done on it, and be able to
> walk home and do something useful with my time.

Thank you. I honestly was drawing a blank, because the "gas stations" a
mile from my house are self-serve with convenience counter chains for
the interstate- no work is done there on cars. They sell a lot of
coffee, though. My mechanic is two miles away, and you're right about
the convenience.

Ilene B

Rbeezer
July 5th 03, 11:42 PM
I love Walmart. It has improved my standard of living. Walmart has affordable
prices on food that I couldn't afford at other stores and their sale prices on
their already inexpensive clothing is a God send. I was there last weekend and
their summer clothes are already on sale. I bought 4 very nice tee shirts for
$20. No place else within driving distance, much less walking distance, comes
close. Granted, the tee shirts won't last 10 years, but they'll last long
enough to suit me. And I've lived in Europe. People there don't have the
standard of living that we do in the states and my friends who visit from
overseas LOVE Walmart. They bring an extra suitcase so they can purchase
various household items cheaply here to bring home. Stuff like tea balls and
egg timers and whisks, things that cost way more than they should overseas.
True, I envy their butcher shops and cheese shops and mass transit, but that's
all I envy. (And they envy me for the affordable housing, clothing, food,
automobiles and gasoline, good medical services and reasonable, and many times
free, entertainment. They pay out the nose for everything and high taxes like
you wouldn't believe.) When I lived over there, it was 3 years before I was
earning enough to have both a car and telephone. Sure, it was nice visiting all
the different European countries and historical landmarks, and I loved the
wonderful people I met and the time I spent there, but after having lived there
and here, I'll take America and all the choices we have here any day. I can't
tell you how lucky I feel to be able to have a choice wrt whether to live in an
apartment or house, a city, a suburb or rural area, all that stuff many, if not
most, people in Europe, don't have a choice with, including cheap places to
shop at like Walmart.

>From what I have read, Europe is still has a functioning network of
>small owner/operator shops. That sounds really nice. Fight like hell
>if WalMart tries to come in.

Rbeezer
July 5th 03, 11:42 PM
I love Walmart. It has improved my standard of living. Walmart has affordable
prices on food that I couldn't afford at other stores and their sale prices on
their already inexpensive clothing is a God send. I was there last weekend and
their summer clothes are already on sale. I bought 4 very nice tee shirts for
$20. No place else within driving distance, much less walking distance, comes
close. Granted, the tee shirts won't last 10 years, but they'll last long
enough to suit me. And I've lived in Europe. People there don't have the
standard of living that we do in the states and my friends who visit from
overseas LOVE Walmart. They bring an extra suitcase so they can purchase
various household items cheaply here to bring home. Stuff like tea balls and
egg timers and whisks, things that cost way more than they should overseas.
True, I envy their butcher shops and cheese shops and mass transit, but that's
all I envy. (And they envy me for the affordable housing, clothing, food,
automobiles and gasoline, good medical services and reasonable, and many times
free, entertainment. They pay out the nose for everything and high taxes like
you wouldn't believe.) When I lived over there, it was 3 years before I was
earning enough to have both a car and telephone. Sure, it was nice visiting all
the different European countries and historical landmarks, and I loved the
wonderful people I met and the time I spent there, but after having lived there
and here, I'll take America and all the choices we have here any day. I can't
tell you how lucky I feel to be able to have a choice wrt whether to live in an
apartment or house, a city, a suburb or rural area, all that stuff many, if not
most, people in Europe, don't have a choice with, including cheap places to
shop at like Walmart.

>From what I have read, Europe is still has a functioning network of
>small owner/operator shops. That sounds really nice. Fight like hell
>if WalMart tries to come in.

Google