PDA

View Full Version : Boxed red wine - good brand?

dnrg
June 30th 03, 07:38 PM
I occassionally enjoy a glass of wine with dinner, but don't drink
frequently enough to justify opening a bottle of wine, just to have it
go bad. Recorking doesn't seem to preserve it long enough and I've
heard those air-pumper doohickeys don't work for squat.

Anyway, I like the idea of box wine with a spicket. I prefer strong,
oakey red wines like cab savignon. One brand I've tried, Peter Vella,
was reasonably good for what it was. Another company whose exact name
escapes me, I think it's Freesia or Frazier or "Fr..." something or
other--sells a generic red wine which is repulsive. I'd rather spend
twice the money and have a good tasting boxed red.

Can anyone suggest a brand of boxed cab sav, merlot or shiraz of
reasonable quality? Any good online wine shops with great prices /
discounts?

Thanks very much.

- Dana

Patricia
June 30th 03, 07:55 PM
Last week our kids were talking about "Two Buck Chuck" (Charles
Shaw/California) and the inexpensive wine from Trader Joe's...

They said it wasn't awful....(G)

Patricia
----------------

> From: (dnrg)
> Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
> Date: 30 Jun 2003 10:38:00 -0700
> Subject: Boxed red wine - good brand?
>
> I occassionally enjoy a glass of wine with dinner, but don't drink
> frequently enough to justify opening a bottle of wine, just to have it
> go bad. Recorking doesn't seem to preserve it long enough and I've
> heard those air-pumper doohickeys don't work for squat.
>
> Anyway, I like the idea of box wine with a spicket. I prefer strong,
> oakey red wines like cab savignon. One brand I've tried, Peter Vella,
> was reasonably good for what it was. Another company whose exact name
> escapes me, I think it's Freesia or Frazier or "Fr..." something or
> other--sells a generic red wine which is repulsive. I'd rather spend
> twice the money and have a good tasting boxed red.
>
> Can anyone suggest a brand of boxed cab sav, merlot or shiraz of
> reasonable quality? Any good online wine shops with great prices /
> discounts?
>
> Thanks very much.
>
> - Dana

Patricia
June 30th 03, 07:55 PM
Last week our kids were talking about "Two Buck Chuck" (Charles
Shaw/California) and the inexpensive wine from Trader Joe's...

They said it wasn't awful....(G)

Patricia
----------------

> From: (dnrg)
> Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
> Date: 30 Jun 2003 10:38:00 -0700
> Subject: Boxed red wine - good brand?
>
> I occassionally enjoy a glass of wine with dinner, but don't drink
> frequently enough to justify opening a bottle of wine, just to have it
> go bad. Recorking doesn't seem to preserve it long enough and I've
> heard those air-pumper doohickeys don't work for squat.
>
> Anyway, I like the idea of box wine with a spicket. I prefer strong,
> oakey red wines like cab savignon. One brand I've tried, Peter Vella,
> was reasonably good for what it was. Another company whose exact name
> escapes me, I think it's Freesia or Frazier or "Fr..." something or
> other--sells a generic red wine which is repulsive. I'd rather spend
> twice the money and have a good tasting boxed red.
>
> Can anyone suggest a brand of boxed cab sav, merlot or shiraz of
> reasonable quality? Any good online wine shops with great prices /
> discounts?
>
> Thanks very much.
>
> - Dana

James Linn
June 30th 03, 11:24 PM
"dnrg" > wrote in message
om...
> I occassionally enjoy a glass of wine with dinner, but don't drink
> frequently enough to justify opening a bottle of wine, just to have it
> go bad. Recorking doesn't seem to preserve it long enough and I've
> heard those air-pumper doohickeys don't work for squat.
>
> Anyway, I like the idea of box wine with a spicket. I prefer strong,
> oakey red wines like cab savignon. One brand I've tried, Peter Vella,
> was reasonably good for what it was. Another company whose exact name
> escapes me, I think it's Freesia or Frazier or "Fr..." something or
> other--sells a generic red wine which is repulsive. I'd rather spend
> twice the money and have a good tasting boxed red.
>
> Can anyone suggest a brand of boxed cab sav, merlot or shiraz of
> reasonable quality? Any good online wine shops with great prices /
> discounts?

Try making your own. Not sure where you are, but around here, there are
lots of U brew places where reasonable wine can be made for not a great deal
of money. My former church switched and saved a bundle. A friend makes 2 or
3 batches a year, and the cost comes out to 3 or 4$ Cdn(2 or 3 US$) a
bottle(if you are reusing old bottles). And its very drinkable stuff. Stay
away from the very cheapest juices - its not much more for the premium, and
worth it.

If you are single - find a friend to go in with you.

James Linn

James Linn
June 30th 03, 11:24 PM
"dnrg" > wrote in message
om...
> I occassionally enjoy a glass of wine with dinner, but don't drink
> frequently enough to justify opening a bottle of wine, just to have it
> go bad. Recorking doesn't seem to preserve it long enough and I've
> heard those air-pumper doohickeys don't work for squat.
>
> Anyway, I like the idea of box wine with a spicket. I prefer strong,
> oakey red wines like cab savignon. One brand I've tried, Peter Vella,
> was reasonably good for what it was. Another company whose exact name
> escapes me, I think it's Freesia or Frazier or "Fr..." something or
> other--sells a generic red wine which is repulsive. I'd rather spend
> twice the money and have a good tasting boxed red.
>
> Can anyone suggest a brand of boxed cab sav, merlot or shiraz of
> reasonable quality? Any good online wine shops with great prices /
> discounts?

Try making your own. Not sure where you are, but around here, there are
lots of U brew places where reasonable wine can be made for not a great deal
of money. My former church switched and saved a bundle. A friend makes 2 or
3 batches a year, and the cost comes out to 3 or 4$ Cdn(2 or 3 US$) a
bottle(if you are reusing old bottles). And its very drinkable stuff. Stay
away from the very cheapest juices - its not much more for the premium, and
worth it.

If you are single - find a friend to go in with you.

James Linn

Cindy, CA
July 1st 03, 01:03 AM
Patricia > wrote in message >...
> Last week our kids were talking about "Two Buck Chuck" (Charles
> Shaw/California) and the inexpensive wine from Trader Joe's...
>
> They said it wasn't awful....(G)
>
> Patricia
> ----------------
Trader Joes sells the Charles Shaw (Cab Sauv; Merlot; Chard and Sauv
Blanc) for $1.99 in California and $2.99 in other states. It has been
referred to as "two buck chuck"HOWEVER, Beverages and More
(www.Bevmo.com),a liquor/spirits store in Southern California sells a
'Brand" called "Two Buck Chuck" for $2 a bottle...AND in SOuthern
California, Ralphs, Vins and Albertsons are all selling some sort of
cheap wine in store for $1.99 a bottle...

part of the glut.

None of it is bad, none is overly great...but we bought a case of 1999
Shaw Cab and it seems better with age....

> > From: (dnrg)
> > Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
> > Date: 30 Jun 2003 10:38:00 -0700
> > Subject: Boxed red wine - good brand?
> >
> > I occassionally enjoy a glass of wine with dinner, but don't drink
> > frequently enough to justify opening a bottle of wine, just to have it
> > go bad. Recorking doesn't seem to preserve it long enough and I've
> > heard those air-pumper doohickeys don't work for squat. I use a cork that used to be in a Port or sherry bottle, not the cork that came with the wine. It seems to last and get a bit better for the next one to two weeks.
> >
> > Anyway, I like the idea of box wine with a spicket. I prefer strong,
> > oakey red wines like cab savignon. One brand I've tried, Peter Vella,
> > was reasonably good for what it was. Another company whose exact name
> > escapes me, I think it's Freesia or Frazier or "Fr..." something or
> > other--sells a generic red wine which is repulsive. FRANZIA...

I'd rather spend
> > twice the money and have a good tasting boxed red.
> >
> > Can anyone suggest a brand of boxed cab sav, merlot or shiraz of
> > reasonable quality? Any good online wine shops with great prices /
> > discounts?
> > www.bevmo.com
In southern CA, there is SMart and Final and they have a boxed red and
white french wine and we are finishing a box of shiraz from australia-
Hardy's brand. It was at Bevmo..not great, but Bevmo has several
"upscale" boxed wines.

Cindy

Cindy, CA
July 1st 03, 01:03 AM
Patricia > wrote in message >...
> Last week our kids were talking about "Two Buck Chuck" (Charles
> Shaw/California) and the inexpensive wine from Trader Joe's...
>
> They said it wasn't awful....(G)
>
> Patricia
> ----------------
Trader Joes sells the Charles Shaw (Cab Sauv; Merlot; Chard and Sauv
Blanc) for $1.99 in California and $2.99 in other states. It has been
referred to as "two buck chuck"HOWEVER, Beverages and More
(www.Bevmo.com),a liquor/spirits store in Southern California sells a
'Brand" called "Two Buck Chuck" for $2 a bottle...AND in SOuthern
California, Ralphs, Vins and Albertsons are all selling some sort of
cheap wine in store for $1.99 a bottle...

part of the glut.

None of it is bad, none is overly great...but we bought a case of 1999
Shaw Cab and it seems better with age....

> > From: (dnrg)
> > Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
> > Date: 30 Jun 2003 10:38:00 -0700
> > Subject: Boxed red wine - good brand?
> >
> > I occassionally enjoy a glass of wine with dinner, but don't drink
> > frequently enough to justify opening a bottle of wine, just to have it
> > go bad. Recorking doesn't seem to preserve it long enough and I've
> > heard those air-pumper doohickeys don't work for squat. I use a cork that used to be in a Port or sherry bottle, not the cork that came with the wine. It seems to last and get a bit better for the next one to two weeks.
> >
> > Anyway, I like the idea of box wine with a spicket. I prefer strong,
> > oakey red wines like cab savignon. One brand I've tried, Peter Vella,
> > was reasonably good for what it was. Another company whose exact name
> > escapes me, I think it's Freesia or Frazier or "Fr..." something or
> > other--sells a generic red wine which is repulsive. FRANZIA...

I'd rather spend
> > twice the money and have a good tasting boxed red.
> >
> > Can anyone suggest a brand of boxed cab sav, merlot or shiraz of
> > reasonable quality? Any good online wine shops with great prices /
> > discounts?
> > www.bevmo.com
In southern CA, there is SMart and Final and they have a boxed red and
white french wine and we are finishing a box of shiraz from australia-
Hardy's brand. It was at Bevmo..not great, but Bevmo has several
"upscale" boxed wines.

Cindy

dnrg
July 3rd 03, 02:17 PM
frater mus > wrote in message
> Franzia maybe?

Yes, that is the (palate) offender! One of those things that is no
bargain at any price. "Dumb-ass frugality" as I call it if you buy
something cuz it's cheap yet don't really enjoy it. Though I imagine
some must like Franzia because there it sits on the shelves at every
local grocery store. To each her own; there's no accounting for
taste... :-)

> Might want to ask one of the local bartenders. Some use drinkable boxed
> red. Also great for parties.

Thanks. I just posted to alt.food.wine, so if anyone is looking for
brand suggestions like I am, follow the conversation there.

One thing I learned is that domestic, e.g. American for me, boxed
wines are often adulterated. Apparently there are strict laws in
Europe against adulterating boxed wines, and evidently the boxed wines
in France are of good quality. One suggestion was to avoid domestic
boxed wines and go for foreign boxed wines that may be strictly
regulated.

- Dana

dnrg
July 3rd 03, 02:17 PM
frater mus > wrote in message
> Franzia maybe?

Yes, that is the (palate) offender! One of those things that is no
bargain at any price. "Dumb-ass frugality" as I call it if you buy
something cuz it's cheap yet don't really enjoy it. Though I imagine
some must like Franzia because there it sits on the shelves at every
local grocery store. To each her own; there's no accounting for
taste... :-)

> Might want to ask one of the local bartenders. Some use drinkable boxed
> red. Also great for parties.

Thanks. I just posted to alt.food.wine, so if anyone is looking for
brand suggestions like I am, follow the conversation there.

One thing I learned is that domestic, e.g. American for me, boxed
wines are often adulterated. Apparently there are strict laws in
Europe against adulterating boxed wines, and evidently the boxed wines
in France are of good quality. One suggestion was to avoid domestic
boxed wines and go for foreign boxed wines that may be strictly
regulated.

- Dana

Google