PDA

View Full Version : New email address verification technique used by spammers?

July 1st 03, 01:43 AM
Interesting. A little while back one of my quiet spambait addresses got hit
with a sudden burst of spam along with a request to purchase the domain name.
I did some quick reverse DNS checking and net searching, and low and behold,
the company that supposedly wants the domain name is a major spam generating
company. Looks like the request to purchase is a way that is used to verify
the address is a valid email address. If you own a domain, be on the lookout
for fake offers that just want a response.

Also, if you use a real name in an email addy, be on the lookout for emails
that start "Are you the same .... that (whatever)?" No sweetie, I'm not the
same Chickpea that you went to class with."

Dennis
July 1st 03, 01:56 AM
On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 23:43:59 GMT, wrote:

>Also, if you use a real name in an email addy, be on the lookout for emails
>that start "Are you the same .... that (whatever)?" No sweetie, I'm not the
>same Chickpea that you went to class with."

This reminds me of a piece of junk paper mail a coworker once showed
me. The senders offered a detailed personalized genealogical history
of his family, including a promise to reveal "Why the
Nahasapeemapetilon* family left Europe for the new world." Funny
stuff.

*No, not his real name, but my friend has a clearly Indian name that
was obviously inserted into a generic template.

the Dennis formerly known as (evil)

Dennis
July 1st 03, 01:56 AM
On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 23:43:59 GMT, wrote:

>Also, if you use a real name in an email addy, be on the lookout for emails
>that start "Are you the same .... that (whatever)?" No sweetie, I'm not the
>same Chickpea that you went to class with."

This reminds me of a piece of junk paper mail a coworker once showed
me. The senders offered a detailed personalized genealogical history
of his family, including a promise to reveal "Why the
Nahasapeemapetilon* family left Europe for the new world." Funny
stuff.

*No, not his real name, but my friend has a clearly Indian name that
was obviously inserted into a generic template.

the Dennis formerly known as (evil)

Reed
July 1st 03, 04:25 AM
Dennis wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 23:43:59 GMT, wrote:
>
> >Also, if you use a real name in an email addy, be on the lookout for emails
> >that start "Are you the same .... that (whatever)?" No sweetie, I'm not the
> >same Chickpea that you went to class with."
>
> This reminds me of a piece of junk paper mail a coworker once showed
> me. The senders offered a detailed personalized genealogical history
> of his family, including a promise to reveal "Why the
> Nahasapeemapetilon* family left Europe for the new world." Funny
> stuff.
>
> *No, not his real name, but my friend has a clearly Indian name that
> was obviously inserted into a generic template.
>
> the Dennis formerly known as (evil)
> --
> "There is a fine line between participation and mockery" - Wally

Two other stories related to the "Halberts of Ohio" and their
family tree/crest junk mail.

A business subscribed to a group of magazines to be placed in a
waiting room near the second floor restrooms. The subscriber was
listed a Second Floor John. You guessed it...Junk mail soliciting
for "the John family" crest.

When Betty Furness was the SECretary of the Board for Consumers
Union, the SEC family tree was hers for the ordering...

--reed

Reed
July 1st 03, 04:25 AM
Dennis wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 23:43:59 GMT, wrote:
>
> >Also, if you use a real name in an email addy, be on the lookout for emails
> >that start "Are you the same .... that (whatever)?" No sweetie, I'm not the
> >same Chickpea that you went to class with."
>
> This reminds me of a piece of junk paper mail a coworker once showed
> me. The senders offered a detailed personalized genealogical history
> of his family, including a promise to reveal "Why the
> Nahasapeemapetilon* family left Europe for the new world." Funny
> stuff.
>
> *No, not his real name, but my friend has a clearly Indian name that
> was obviously inserted into a generic template.
>
> the Dennis formerly known as (evil)
> --
> "There is a fine line between participation and mockery" - Wally

Two other stories related to the "Halberts of Ohio" and their
family tree/crest junk mail.

A business subscribed to a group of magazines to be placed in a
waiting room near the second floor restrooms. The subscriber was
listed a Second Floor John. You guessed it...Junk mail soliciting
for "the John family" crest.

When Betty Furness was the SECretary of the Board for Consumers
Union, the SEC family tree was hers for the ordering...

--reed

Me
July 1st 03, 01:11 PM
In article >,
wrote:

> Interesting. A little while back one of my quiet spambait addresses got hit
> with a sudden burst of spam along with a request to purchase the domain name.
> I did some quick reverse DNS checking and net searching, and low and behold,
> the company that supposedly wants the domain name is a major spam generating
> company. Looks like the request to purchase is a way that is used to verify
> the address is a valid email address. If you own a domain, be on the lookout
> for fake offers that just want a response.

Of course. This is an old technique. Don't do business with spammers
and their verification method will fail.

Me
July 1st 03, 01:11 PM
In article >,
wrote:

> Interesting. A little while back one of my quiet spambait addresses got hit
> with a sudden burst of spam along with a request to purchase the domain name.
> I did some quick reverse DNS checking and net searching, and low and behold,
> the company that supposedly wants the domain name is a major spam generating
> company. Looks like the request to purchase is a way that is used to verify
> the address is a valid email address. If you own a domain, be on the lookout
> for fake offers that just want a response.

Of course. This is an old technique. Don't do business with spammers
and their verification method will fail.

Dennis
July 1st 03, 05:55 PM
On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 17:49:03 -0700, The Real Bev

>> Also, if you use a real name in an email addy, be on the lookout for emails
>> that start "Are you the same .... that (whatever)?" No sweetie, I'm not the
>> same Chickpea that you went to class with."
>
>The Gonzo Garbanzo?

LOL. Exxxcccellent.

the Dennis formerly known as (evil)

Dennis
July 1st 03, 05:55 PM
On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 17:49:03 -0700, The Real Bev

>> Also, if you use a real name in an email addy, be on the lookout for emails
>> that start "Are you the same .... that (whatever)?" No sweetie, I'm not the
>> same Chickpea that you went to class with."
>
>The Gonzo Garbanzo?

LOL. Exxxcccellent.

the Dennis formerly known as (evil)