PDA

View Full Version : Re: cheapest national dial-up service provider?

Tsu Dho Poster
July 1st 03, 12:09 PM
"JoelnCaryn" > wrote in message news:20030701
> Good news: I get to switch off of AOL now! (Long-time readers will
recognize
> that this implies bad news: my grandfather died of Parkinson's
complications
> this morning.)

Oh darn...my condolences...
(wasn't he the bomber pilot?)

> As I am not a shopper by interest or inclination, I'm going to beg for
hints
> from y'all. What's the cheapest way to do this? I need to comp back my
costs
> from running AOL. :-)

The best reviews I've heard personally were on access4less ($7) &
Greatbarrier reef ($10)

Freedom list:
http://tinyurl.com/fplt

5-minute tutor: How to choose
http://tinyurl.com/fppj

from: Your "homie" in Phoenix:

USATODAY: CyberSpeak
Kim Kommando: Answer Desk

Q: Is there a place on the Internet where I could find a good cheap (or
free) Internet service provider in my hometown?

A: FreedomList (www.freedomlist.com) and FindAnISP (www.findanisp.com) are
two good sites to check. Be sure to read the customer comments - there
appear to be more complaints about free services than those that charge.
Customer service is expensive to provide, so the free services are probably
at a disadvantage there.

Kim Komando hosts the nation's largest talk radio show about computers and
the Internet. To find the station nearest you that broadcasts Kim's show,
e-mail . To subscribe to Kim's free weekly newsletter,
send e-mail to .

> I use email extensively for small file uploads to a blueprint company
(well,
> nowadays that's a plotter); DH just needs a connection so he can get to
his
> web-based email from home. A national provider would be a good idea as we
> intend to move shortly. We don't download music, watch movie trailers, or
have
> webpages of our own. So we don't care one whit about having a faster
> connection as it would just entail a larger opportunity for the timesink
of
> surfing. (And yes, I know I'll be wanting Free Agent.)
> --
> "...if my CURRENT-SUPPOSITIONS-intender malfunctions and tokens a |Jodie
Foster
> is president| when it should have tokened a |George W. Bush is president|
> ...this may lead to certain false beliefs, such as the belief that I will
> probably be wanting to watch more presidential addresses on television in
the
> future..."

Lena
July 1st 03, 03:31 PM
"JoelnCaryn" asked about cheap ISPs
> Good news: I get to switch off of AOL now!
Check out www.freedomlist.com and look for the thread "cheapest of the
cheap" and "$10 and under ISPs"

--
Lena

put "hotmail" in the subject line to get through the filters

Lena
July 1st 03, 03:31 PM
"JoelnCaryn" asked about cheap ISPs
> Good news: I get to switch off of AOL now!
Check out www.freedomlist.com and look for the thread "cheapest of the
cheap" and "$10 and under ISPs"

--
Lena

put "hotmail" in the subject line to get through the filters

JoelnCaryn
July 3rd 03, 07:40 AM
>Oh darn...my condolences...
>(wasn't he the bomber pilot?)

Yes indeed. He will be missed.

Thanks for the links, all!

--
"...if my CURRENT-SUPPOSITIONS-intender malfunctions and tokens a |Jodie Foster
is president| when it should have tokened a |George W. Bush is president|
....this may lead to certain false beliefs, such as the belief that I will
probably be wanting to watch more presidential addresses on television in the
future..."

JoelnCaryn
July 3rd 03, 07:40 AM
>Oh darn...my condolences...
>(wasn't he the bomber pilot?)

Yes indeed. He will be missed.

Thanks for the links, all!

--
"...if my CURRENT-SUPPOSITIONS-intender malfunctions and tokens a |Jodie Foster
is president| when it should have tokened a |George W. Bush is president|
....this may lead to certain false beliefs, such as the belief that I will
probably be wanting to watch more presidential addresses on television in the
future..."

Google