PDA

View Full Version : Best sources for pricing a used car to sell?

dnrg
July 1st 03, 01:57 PM
I'm getting rid of my 2002 Toyota Corolla to buy an old Geo Metro.
More economical and would meet my needs fine.

I understand Toyotas hold their resale value pretty well, but I'm
wondering where some good online sources would be for researching what
my model of car (with 30,000 miles on it) would fetch in a private
sale.

I already have a potential buyer, unexpectedly found one, but told the
person I'd have to get back to them later in the week with a price.

Thanks very much.

- Dana

ares
July 1st 03, 03:13 PM
I'm wondering if in the long run an old Geo is really more economical than a
new Corolla that might require less repair, hold better value and last
longer.
I wanted to get one as my next car but we're too big to fit in one now.
Hubby thought they might be bringing back the old style pickup trucks; that
would be nice.
ares

> "dnrg" > wrote in message
> om...
> > I'm getting rid of my 2002 Toyota Corolla to buy an old Geo Metro.
> > More economical and would meet my needs fine.
> >
> > I understand Toyotas hold their resale value pretty well, but I'm
> > wondering where some good online sources would be for researching what
> > my model of car (with 30,000 miles on it) would fetch in a private
> > sale.
> >
> > I already have a potential buyer, unexpectedly found one, but told the
> > person I'd have to get back to them later in the week with a price.
> >
> > Thanks very much.
> >
> > - Dana
>

> ---

ares
July 1st 03, 03:13 PM
I'm wondering if in the long run an old Geo is really more economical than a
new Corolla that might require less repair, hold better value and last
longer.
I wanted to get one as my next car but we're too big to fit in one now.
Hubby thought they might be bringing back the old style pickup trucks; that
would be nice.
ares

> "dnrg" > wrote in message
> om...
> > I'm getting rid of my 2002 Toyota Corolla to buy an old Geo Metro.
> > More economical and would meet my needs fine.
> >
> > I understand Toyotas hold their resale value pretty well, but I'm
> > wondering where some good online sources would be for researching what
> > my model of car (with 30,000 miles on it) would fetch in a private
> > sale.
> >
> > I already have a potential buyer, unexpectedly found one, but told the
> > person I'd have to get back to them later in the week with a price.
> >
> > Thanks very much.
> >
> > - Dana
>

> ---

Lee K
July 1st 03, 04:19 PM
For prices on new/used cars, boats, RVs, motorcycles, aircraft, manufactured
housing, and classic cars, try the NADA site here:
http://www.nadaguides.com/ValuesHome.html

"dnrg" > wrote in message
om...
> I'm getting rid of my 2002 Toyota Corolla to buy an old Geo Metro.
> More economical and would meet my needs fine.
>
> I understand Toyotas hold their resale value pretty well, but I'm
> wondering where some good online sources would be for researching what
> my model of car (with 30,000 miles on it) would fetch in a private
> sale.
>
> I already have a potential buyer, unexpectedly found one, but told the
> person I'd have to get back to them later in the week with a price.
>
> Thanks very much.
>
> - Dana

Lee K
July 1st 03, 04:19 PM
For prices on new/used cars, boats, RVs, motorcycles, aircraft, manufactured
housing, and classic cars, try the NADA site here:
http://www.nadaguides.com/ValuesHome.html

"dnrg" > wrote in message
om...
> I'm getting rid of my 2002 Toyota Corolla to buy an old Geo Metro.
> More economical and would meet my needs fine.
>
> I understand Toyotas hold their resale value pretty well, but I'm
> wondering where some good online sources would be for researching what
> my model of car (with 30,000 miles on it) would fetch in a private
> sale.
>
> I already have a potential buyer, unexpectedly found one, but told the
> person I'd have to get back to them later in the week with a price.
>
> Thanks very much.
>
> - Dana

Dennis
July 1st 03, 07:03 PM
On 1 Jul 2003 04:57:38 -0700, (dnrg) wrote:

>I'm getting rid of my 2002 Toyota Corolla to buy an old Geo Metro.
>More economical and would meet my needs fine.

I've heard a lot of complaints about the Metro. Have you considered
trading your Corolla for a Geo Prizm instead? *

* ;-)

the Dennis formerly known as (evil)

Dennis
July 1st 03, 07:03 PM
On 1 Jul 2003 04:57:38 -0700, (dnrg) wrote:

>I'm getting rid of my 2002 Toyota Corolla to buy an old Geo Metro.
>More economical and would meet my needs fine.

I've heard a lot of complaints about the Metro. Have you considered
trading your Corolla for a Geo Prizm instead? *

* ;-)

the Dennis formerly known as (evil)

dnrg
July 1st 03, 11:05 PM
Thanks y'all for the replies.

"ares" > wrote in message >...
> I'm wondering if in the long run an old Geo is really more economical than a
> new Corolla that might require less repair, hold better value and last
> longer.

In my circumstances, I don't think so.

1) My girlfriend's father refurbs / fixes Geo Metros as a hobby; and
they're inexpensive to fix anyway. I'll be getting one in terrific
condition, rebuilt in any way it needs to be versus buying one I know
nothing about (its mechanical condition).

2) I'm a grad student and now live on campus in a rented house. I can
walk everywhere I need to be. e.g. Geo Metro breaks down and, so what?
Doesn't need to be fixed quickly. I'll probably be working on my
Masters degree for 2 years+.
In the mean time, the Toyota would continue to devalue. I'm hoping to
remain in the area after I graduate.

3) I live across the street from a bus stop, and taking the bus is
free for me as a grad student.

4) My car insurance costs will immediately drop by at least half if I
get a used Metro.

5) I can get a refurbed Metro in great mechanical condition for around
USD $1,000. Pretty cheap.

If I had a long commute to work each day, I'd want something more
reliable. Before I committed to a Metro, I actually considered getting
a used Honda scooter for my transportation needs. Wouldn't work well
in the Appalachian winters though.

- Dana

dnrg
July 1st 03, 11:05 PM
Thanks y'all for the replies.

"ares" > wrote in message >...
> I'm wondering if in the long run an old Geo is really more economical than a
> new Corolla that might require less repair, hold better value and last
> longer.

In my circumstances, I don't think so.

1) My girlfriend's father refurbs / fixes Geo Metros as a hobby; and
they're inexpensive to fix anyway. I'll be getting one in terrific
condition, rebuilt in any way it needs to be versus buying one I know
nothing about (its mechanical condition).

2) I'm a grad student and now live on campus in a rented house. I can
walk everywhere I need to be. e.g. Geo Metro breaks down and, so what?
Doesn't need to be fixed quickly. I'll probably be working on my
Masters degree for 2 years+.
In the mean time, the Toyota would continue to devalue. I'm hoping to
remain in the area after I graduate.

3) I live across the street from a bus stop, and taking the bus is
free for me as a grad student.

4) My car insurance costs will immediately drop by at least half if I
get a used Metro.

5) I can get a refurbed Metro in great mechanical condition for around
USD $1,000. Pretty cheap.

If I had a long commute to work each day, I'd want something more
reliable. Before I committed to a Metro, I actually considered getting
a used Honda scooter for my transportation needs. Wouldn't work well
in the Appalachian winters though.

- Dana

dnrg
July 1st 03, 11:07 PM
"Joe" <joe @ yunx . com> wrote in message >...
> Where are you located?
>
> Other than potentially being interested myself, I would say to check the
> local papers for similar vehicles selling right now and use them as an
> estimator of what you can possibly get for the car.

Thanks Joe. I'm in Boone, North Carolina - western part of the state.

- Dana

dnrg
July 1st 03, 11:07 PM
"Joe" <joe @ yunx . com> wrote in message >...
> Where are you located?
>
> Other than potentially being interested myself, I would say to check the
> local papers for similar vehicles selling right now and use them as an
> estimator of what you can possibly get for the car.

Thanks Joe. I'm in Boone, North Carolina - western part of the state.

- Dana

Google