PDA

View Full Version : Auto Insurance 30 day consecutive penalty

Mike \(Remove X's to reply\)
July 2nd 03, 08:33 AM
Hello there!

This is my first post to this fine group. I have a problem that you folks
may have an answer to. I have recently become divorced, and she got the
car. I do not plan on getting a car for a while. the problem is, that when
I do get a car again, I will have to get insurance, but I will be penalized
for not getting a new policy within 30 days of the old one (i.e. must
maintain consecutive insurance without more than a 30 day gap). The penalty
is severe. It would be over $500 a year. There must be a way to avoid this
unfair penalty without actually having to buy a car. Your expert advice is
most appreciated!

Thanks,

Mike

--
To reply via email remove the X's from my email address:

Home Brewer
July 2nd 03, 11:50 PM
On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 23:08:16 -0800,
(Dennis P. Harris) wrote:

>On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 06:33:58 GMT in misc.consumers.frugal-living,
>"Mike \(Remove X's to reply\)" > wrote:
>
>> the problem is, that when
>> I do get a car again, I will have to get insurance, but I will be penalized
>> for not getting a new policy within 30 days of the old one (i.e. must
>> maintain consecutive insurance without more than a 30 day gap).
>
>someone somewhere must be misinterpreting some stupid rule that
>only applies when you *own a car* and don't have it insured.
>surely they won't penalize you for not owning a car and therefore
>not needing insurance? it's the first time i've ever heard of
>such a rule, and i've gone for long periods without owning cars
>(and therefore, without car insurance).

Here in Canada, if you go more than 6 months without car insurance,
your insured driving record goes back to zero. Thus, a 6 or 7 star
driving record becomes a 0 star driving record, and of course your
premiums reflect this. I think you'd be looking at an increase in the
order of 4 times, although it was a few years ago when I enquired
about taking my car off the road for a few months.

Best advice has already been stated - call a good broker and get the
facts as they pertain to your area.

(Dennis P. Harris) wrote:

>On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 06:33:58 GMT in misc.consumers.frugal-living,
>"Mike \(Remove X's to reply\)" > wrote:
>
>> the problem is, that when
>> I do get a car again, I will have to get insurance, but I will be penalized
>> for not getting a new policy within 30 days of the old one (i.e. must
>> maintain consecutive insurance without more than a 30 day gap).
>
>someone somewhere must be misinterpreting some stupid rule that
>only applies when you *own a car* and don't have it insured.
>surely they won't penalize you for not owning a car and therefore
>not needing insurance? it's the first time i've ever heard of
>such a rule, and i've gone for long periods without owning cars
>(and therefore, without car insurance).

Here in Canada, if you go more than 6 months without car insurance,
your insured driving record goes back to zero. Thus, a 6 or 7 star
driving record becomes a 0 star driving record, and of course your
premiums reflect this. I think you'd be looking at an increase in the
order of 4 times, although it was a few years ago when I enquired
about taking my car off the road for a few months.

Best advice has already been stated - call a good broker and get the
facts as they pertain to your area.

myname
July 3rd 03, 01:17 AM
(Dennis P. Harris) wrote in message >...
> On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 06:33:58 GMT in misc.consumers.frugal-living,
> "Mike \(Remove X's to reply\)" > wrote:
>
> > the problem is, that when
> > I do get a car again, I will have to get insurance, but I will be penalized
> > for not getting a new policy within 30 days of the old one (i.e. must
> > maintain consecutive insurance without more than a 30 day gap).
>
> someone somewhere must be misinterpreting some stupid rule that
> only applies when you *own a car* and don't have it insured.
> surely they won't penalize you for not owning a car and therefore
> not needing insurance? it's the first time i've ever heard of
> such a rule, and i've gone for long periods without owning cars
> (and therefore, without car insurance).

Yes, they definitely do penalize you for going a period of time
without car insurance, even if you didn't own a car.

This is done based on statistical analysis, people who have auto
insurance continuously are less likely to have an accident than those
who go a period of time without it. This is probably because people
who don't have auto insurance were driving with no insurance, or were
too poor to afford a car. The idea is probably that if you're too
poor to afford a car, you're some deadbeat who can't hold a job or
perhaps you were in prison or something.

myname
July 3rd 03, 01:17 AM
(Dennis P. Harris) wrote in message >...
> On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 06:33:58 GMT in misc.consumers.frugal-living,
> "Mike \(Remove X's to reply\)" > wrote:
>
> > the problem is, that when
> > I do get a car again, I will have to get insurance, but I will be penalized
> > for not getting a new policy within 30 days of the old one (i.e. must
> > maintain consecutive insurance without more than a 30 day gap).
>
> someone somewhere must be misinterpreting some stupid rule that
> only applies when you *own a car* and don't have it insured.
> surely they won't penalize you for not owning a car and therefore
> not needing insurance? it's the first time i've ever heard of
> such a rule, and i've gone for long periods without owning cars
> (and therefore, without car insurance).

Yes, they definitely do penalize you for going a period of time
without car insurance, even if you didn't own a car.

This is done based on statistical analysis, people who have auto
insurance continuously are less likely to have an accident than those
who go a period of time without it. This is probably because people
who don't have auto insurance were driving with no insurance, or were
too poor to afford a car. The idea is probably that if you're too
poor to afford a car, you're some deadbeat who can't hold a job or
perhaps you were in prison or something.

Me
July 3rd 03, 01:26 AM
In article >,
"Mike \(Remove X's to reply\)" > wrote:

> Hello there!
>
> This is my first post to this fine group. I have a problem that you folks
> may have an answer to. I have recently become divorced, and she got the
> car. I do not plan on getting a car for a while. the problem is, that when
> I do get a car again, I will have to get insurance, but I will be penalized
> for not getting a new policy within 30 days of the old one (i.e. must
> maintain consecutive insurance without more than a 30 day gap). The penalty
> is severe. It would be over $500 a year. There must be a way to avoid this
> unfair penalty without actually having to buy a car. Your expert advice is
> most appreciated!

There's not enough information to give you a specific recommendation.
Talk with your insurance agent to see what your options are. Maybe you
can continue your current policy at a reduced rate as a sign of good
faith. You might also try contacting your state's insurance
commmissioner or whomever else regulates auto insurance in your state to
see what your options are.

Me
July 3rd 03, 01:26 AM
In article >,
"Mike \(Remove X's to reply\)" > wrote:

> Hello there!
>
> This is my first post to this fine group. I have a problem that you folks
> may have an answer to. I have recently become divorced, and she got the
> car. I do not plan on getting a car for a while. the problem is, that when
> I do get a car again, I will have to get insurance, but I will be penalized
> for not getting a new policy within 30 days of the old one (i.e. must
> maintain consecutive insurance without more than a 30 day gap). The penalty
> is severe. It would be over $500 a year. There must be a way to avoid this
> unfair penalty without actually having to buy a car. Your expert advice is
> most appreciated!

There's not enough information to give you a specific recommendation.
Talk with your insurance agent to see what your options are. Maybe you
can continue your current policy at a reduced rate as a sign of good
faith. You might also try contacting your state's insurance
commmissioner or whomever else regulates auto insurance in your state to
see what your options are.

timeOday
July 3rd 03, 02:32 AM
myname wrote:

> Yes, they definitely do penalize you for going a period of time
> without car insurance, even if you didn't own a car.
>
> This is done based on statistical analysis, people who have auto
> insurance continuously are less likely to have an accident than those
> who go a period of time without it. This is probably because people
> who don't have auto insurance were driving with no insurance, or were
> too poor to afford a car. The idea is probably that if you're too
> poor to afford a car, you're some deadbeat who can't hold a job or
> perhaps you were in prison or something.

Well, which is it based on, statistical analysis or blind anti-deadbeat
bigotry?

It wouldn't surprise me if people who didn't drive for some time got rusty
and were more accident-prone for a while.

timeOday
July 3rd 03, 02:32 AM
myname wrote:

> Yes, they definitely do penalize you for going a period of time
> without car insurance, even if you didn't own a car.
>
> This is done based on statistical analysis, people who have auto
> insurance continuously are less likely to have an accident than those
> who go a period of time without it. This is probably because people
> who don't have auto insurance were driving with no insurance, or were
> too poor to afford a car. The idea is probably that if you're too
> poor to afford a car, you're some deadbeat who can't hold a job or
> perhaps you were in prison or something.

Well, which is it based on, statistical analysis or blind anti-deadbeat
bigotry?

It wouldn't surprise me if people who didn't drive for some time got rusty
and were more accident-prone for a while.

Timothy J. Lee
July 3rd 03, 08:54 AM
In article >,
Me > wrote:
>There's not enough information to give you a specific recommendation.
>Talk with your insurance agent to see what your options are.

Isn't there also non-owner car insurance sold to people who don't
have a car, but rent cars frequently (e.g. someone who lives in a
big city and does not drive on most days, but rents a car every few
weeks for weekend trips to the country)?

Timothy J. Lee

Timothy J. Lee
July 3rd 03, 08:54 AM
In article >,
Me > wrote:
>There's not enough information to give you a specific recommendation.
>Talk with your insurance agent to see what your options are.

Isn't there also non-owner car insurance sold to people who don't
have a car, but rent cars frequently (e.g. someone who lives in a
big city and does not drive on most days, but rents a car every few
weeks for weekend trips to the country)?

Timothy J. Lee

Julie
July 5th 03, 10:50 PM
On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 14:50:23 -0700, Home Brewer >
wrote:

>Here in Canada, if you go more than 6 months without car insurance,
>your insured driving record goes back to zero.

It's three years in the UK (as DH and I have just discovered). We've
only owned one car for the past three or four years, which has been
insured in my name. We are now going back to having two cars and DH
has discovered that he can no longer get his no claims discount. If
we'd known we would have each insured in alternate years.

Julie S

wrote:

>Here in Canada, if you go more than 6 months without car insurance,
>your insured driving record goes back to zero.

It's three years in the UK (as DH and I have just discovered). We've
only owned one car for the past three or four years, which has been
insured in my name. We are now going back to having two cars and DH
has discovered that he can no longer get his no claims discount. If
we'd known we would have each insured in alternate years.

Julie S

Google