PDA

View Full Version : Re: Frugal Virus Software


Dennis
July 3rd 03, 04:01 AM
Just post your email address around for a while and indiscriminately
open all attachments in the ensuing deluge of junk that you receive.
You will have plenty of virus software in no time, all for free!

Then you might want to look around for some Anti-virus software.

the Dennis formerly known as (evil)
--
"There is a fine line between participation and mockery" - Wally

TomTom
July 3rd 03, 04:51 AM
AVG is good. I reccommend it to clients instead of the $ antivirus soft.

I use it at work and home.

Has free live updates just like the $ soft.

"Derald Martin" > wrote in message
...
> (BrotherHub) wrote:
>
> >any good freebies?
> Windows? I use AVG. It is free, good, and easily configured. I
> found out about AVG in the alt.comp.freeware newsgroup. You can, too,
> but for now look here:
> http://www.grisoft.com/
>
> --
> HTH,
> Derald


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.495 / Virus Database: 294 - Release Date: 6/30/2003

TomTom
July 3rd 03, 04:51 AM
AVG is good. I reccommend it to clients instead of the $ antivirus soft.

I use it at work and home.

Has free live updates just like the $ soft.

"Derald Martin" > wrote in message
...
> (BrotherHub) wrote:
>
> >any good freebies?
> Windows? I use AVG. It is free, good, and easily configured. I
> found out about AVG in the alt.comp.freeware newsgroup. You can, too,
> but for now look here:
> http://www.grisoft.com/
>
> --
> HTH,
> Derald


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.495 / Virus Database: 294 - Release Date: 6/30/2003

Nina
July 3rd 03, 06:53 AM
avg av
www.grisoft.com

"BrotherHub" > wrote in message
...
> Please post to group:
>
> any good freebies? websites? any good info would be appreciated.
>
>
> Thanks in advance to all

Nina
July 3rd 03, 06:53 AM
avg av
www.grisoft.com

"BrotherHub" > wrote in message
...
> Please post to group:
>
> any good freebies? websites? any good info would be appreciated.
>
>
> Thanks in advance to all

dnrg
July 3rd 03, 02:28 PM
wrote in message >...
> And, of-course, there is the free firewall, Zone Alarm:
> http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp

Zone Alarm is a terrific firewall if for nothing else than to see all
the programs on your machine that try to "phone home" for whatever
reason. A bit scary and I'd never be without Zone Alarm now that I've
seen it in operation.

There is a commercial version of Zone Alarm - Zone Alarm Pro - and I'm
wondering that it adds and if it's worth spending money on. I reckon
with a combination of freeware and wise web surfing and e-mailing, one
can do pretty well without spending a cent. Of course good anti-virus
software is probably the one thing well worth paying for.

Are there really freeware anti-virus packages nearly as good as Norton
AV and McAffee? Or considerably cheaper anti-virus packages? It would
be well worth it to, say, pay $10/year for a year of virus table
updates, than whatever is charged for Norton and McAffee *if* the
virus tables are current. Considering the damage virii can do, it
would probably be foolish to quibble too much over price.

How do the freeware AV packages survive? Are they funded by ad-ware?
Or are the developers selflessly (well, profitlessly at least) devoted
to the cause of free software, GPL'ing their products?

Finally, can you use a freeware ad-buster / firewall like Zone Alarm
to defeat the ad-ware? :-) A constant struggle! :-)

- Dana

dnrg
July 3rd 03, 02:28 PM
wrote in message >...
> And, of-course, there is the free firewall, Zone Alarm:
> http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp

Zone Alarm is a terrific firewall if for nothing else than to see all
the programs on your machine that try to "phone home" for whatever
reason. A bit scary and I'd never be without Zone Alarm now that I've
seen it in operation.

There is a commercial version of Zone Alarm - Zone Alarm Pro - and I'm
wondering that it adds and if it's worth spending money on. I reckon
with a combination of freeware and wise web surfing and e-mailing, one
can do pretty well without spending a cent. Of course good anti-virus
software is probably the one thing well worth paying for.

Are there really freeware anti-virus packages nearly as good as Norton
AV and McAffee? Or considerably cheaper anti-virus packages? It would
be well worth it to, say, pay $10/year for a year of virus table
updates, than whatever is charged for Norton and McAffee *if* the
virus tables are current. Considering the damage virii can do, it
would probably be foolish to quibble too much over price.

How do the freeware AV packages survive? Are they funded by ad-ware?
Or are the developers selflessly (well, profitlessly at least) devoted
to the cause of free software, GPL'ing their products?

Finally, can you use a freeware ad-buster / firewall like Zone Alarm
to defeat the ad-ware? :-) A constant struggle! :-)

- Dana

Fridrik Skulason
July 4th 03, 11:14 AM
wrote in message >...


> Command (F-prot successor, IIRC) used to be a good freeware anti-virus,
> but I no longer see a free version.


Pardon me, but Command is not a "F-prot successor". We at F-Prot
license our technology to a few OEM partners, including Command.
They produce their own line of anti-virus programs, which they sell
under their own name

We (http://www.f-prot.com) still have couple of free anti-virus
programs - our old DOS version is free of charge, and the Linux
version is free for personal use. We are not giving away our main
product - the windows version - we have to recover our development and
product maintenance cost somehow).

-frisk

Fridrik Skulason
July 4th 03, 11:14 AM
wrote in message >...


> Command (F-prot successor, IIRC) used to be a good freeware anti-virus,
> but I no longer see a free version.


Pardon me, but Command is not a "F-prot successor". We at F-Prot
license our technology to a few OEM partners, including Command.
They produce their own line of anti-virus programs, which they sell
under their own name

We (http://www.f-prot.com) still have couple of free anti-virus
programs - our old DOS version is free of charge, and the Linux
version is free for personal use. We are not giving away our main
product - the windows version - we have to recover our development and
product maintenance cost somehow).

-frisk

July 4th 03, 07:02 PM
(Fridrik Skulason) wrote:

wrote in message >...
>
>
>> Command (F-prot successor, IIRC) used to be a good freeware anti-virus,
>> but I no longer see a free version.
>
>
>Pardon me, but Command is not a "F-prot successor". We at F-Prot
>license our technology to a few OEM partners, including Command.
>They produce their own line of anti-virus programs, which they sell
>under their own name
>
>We (http://www.f-prot.com) still have couple of free anti-virus
>programs - our old DOS version is free of charge, and the Linux
>version is free for personal use. We are not giving away our main
>product - the windows version - we have to recover our development and
>product maintenance cost somehow).
>
>-frisk

Mea Culpa. I was not aware of the relationship you describe. However, when you
say that you at F-Prot license your technology but they have their own product,
I'm not sure what you mean. Your website states:
"We are looking for Value Added Resellers, Distributors, Resellers and OEM
partners to team with us to introduce F-Prot Antivirus around the world.
FRISK’s Partner Program creates opportunities for you to grow your business by
partnering with one of the world’s leaders of Internet security solutions. "

Does that mean that Command is just a VAR that has dressed F-Prot in a
different skin, or have they significantly added to (improved) the F-Prot
software in their version of anti-virus software?

I fully understand your not wanting to freebe the Windows version of your
software. Not only is there a need to constantly add new viruses to the list,
the shifting sands of Windows requires regular retooling of core code for many
programs. I'm a little more puzzled at the reasons for selling direct and
simultaniously using VARs. It would seem to dilute both sales aspects.

July 4th 03, 07:02 PM
(Fridrik Skulason) wrote:

wrote in message >...
>
>
>> Command (F-prot successor, IIRC) used to be a good freeware anti-virus,
>> but I no longer see a free version.
>
>
>Pardon me, but Command is not a "F-prot successor". We at F-Prot
>license our technology to a few OEM partners, including Command.
>They produce their own line of anti-virus programs, which they sell
>under their own name
>
>We (http://www.f-prot.com) still have couple of free anti-virus
>programs - our old DOS version is free of charge, and the Linux
>version is free for personal use. We are not giving away our main
>product - the windows version - we have to recover our development and
>product maintenance cost somehow).
>
>-frisk

Mea Culpa. I was not aware of the relationship you describe. However, when you
say that you at F-Prot license your technology but they have their own product,
I'm not sure what you mean. Your website states:
"We are looking for Value Added Resellers, Distributors, Resellers and OEM
partners to team with us to introduce F-Prot Antivirus around the world.
FRISK’s Partner Program creates opportunities for you to grow your business by
partnering with one of the world’s leaders of Internet security solutions. "

Does that mean that Command is just a VAR that has dressed F-Prot in a
different skin, or have they significantly added to (improved) the F-Prot
software in their version of anti-virus software?

I fully understand your not wanting to freebe the Windows version of your
software. Not only is there a need to constantly add new viruses to the list,
the shifting sands of Windows requires regular retooling of core code for many
programs. I'm a little more puzzled at the reasons for selling direct and
simultaniously using VARs. It would seem to dilute both sales aspects.

mark hoffman
July 5th 03, 03:35 AM
"BrotherHub" > wrote in message
...
> Please post to group:
>
> any good freebies? websites? any good info would be appreciated.
>
>
> Thanks in advance to all

www.grisoft.com

AVG is free

used it 3 yrs on several computers, no problems



---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.495 / Virus Database: 294 - Release Date: 7/1/03

mark hoffman
July 5th 03, 03:35 AM
"BrotherHub" > wrote in message
...
> Please post to group:
>
> any good freebies? websites? any good info would be appreciated.
>
>
> Thanks in advance to all

www.grisoft.com

AVG is free

used it 3 yrs on several computers, no problems



---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.495 / Virus Database: 294 - Release Date: 7/1/03

Albert Wagner
July 5th 03, 10:11 AM
On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 10:50:42 GMT
Larry Lloyd > wrote:
<snip>
> America is an historical anomaly: the first non-imperial superpower.
> It has no colonies and no desire for any. For almost 60 years, it's
> paid for the defence of the West virtually single-handed while
> creating and supporting structures - the UN, Nato, G8 - that exist
> only to allow its "allies" to pretend they're on an equal footing. For
> "allies", read dependencies: it's because the US provides generous
> charity defence guarantees that the European governments have been
> free to fritter away their revenues on socialised health care and
> lavish welfare. The non-arrogance of Washington is unparalleled in
> human history.

You need a pretty narrow definition of "colony" for this statement to be
anywhere near the truth. We of course colonized the lands of the
Natives Americans and then practiced genocide on them. By the time we
had finished this job, the industrial revolution allowed us to practice
a more updated form of "colonization," that relied on economic rather
than military intervention.

Albert Wagner
July 5th 03, 10:11 AM
On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 10:50:42 GMT
Larry Lloyd > wrote:
<snip>
> America is an historical anomaly: the first non-imperial superpower.
> It has no colonies and no desire for any. For almost 60 years, it's
> paid for the defence of the West virtually single-handed while
> creating and supporting structures - the UN, Nato, G8 - that exist
> only to allow its "allies" to pretend they're on an equal footing. For
> "allies", read dependencies: it's because the US provides generous
> charity defence guarantees that the European governments have been
> free to fritter away their revenues on socialised health care and
> lavish welfare. The non-arrogance of Washington is unparalleled in
> human history.

You need a pretty narrow definition of "colony" for this statement to be
anywhere near the truth. We of course colonized the lands of the
Natives Americans and then practiced genocide on them. By the time we
had finished this job, the industrial revolution allowed us to practice
a more updated form of "colonization," that relied on economic rather
than military intervention.

K P
July 5th 03, 05:54 PM
(BrotherHub) wrote in message >...
> Please post to group:
>
> any good freebies? websites? any good info would be appreciated.
>
>
> Thanks in advance to all

This is the homepage for the AVG antivirus software,which is very good
and free.(they ask for a registration number-and supply it themselves
for free)

http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php
Also you should download Spybot (go to www.download.com and search
there),great anti-spyware software,also free

K P
July 5th 03, 05:54 PM
(BrotherHub) wrote in message >...
> Please post to group:
>
> any good freebies? websites? any good info would be appreciated.
>
>
> Thanks in advance to all

This is the homepage for the AVG antivirus software,which is very good
and free.(they ask for a registration number-and supply it themselves
for free)

http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php
Also you should download Spybot (go to www.download.com and search
there),great anti-spyware software,also free

Google