PDA

View Full Version : Re: Ok I've got the borax. Now what do I DO with it??

Jim
July 3rd 03, 06:07 AM
They're bad in the bathroom. Is it safe to sprinkle where you frequent?
What about the sinks and near the shower? Wouldn't this get pretty
messy having this stuff spread out on the sink and floor areas (even if
just in the crevices)?

SlinkyToy > wrote in message
. ..
> Mix it with a bit of nice juicy brown sugar, then sprinkle it in the
areas
> where you see the ants. It isn't an instant solution and does take
time,
> but eventually the ants will be gone. This also works for roaches.
>
> "Jim" > wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > Ok, lots of people recommend boric acid to get rid of ants. So I
went
> > to my local Wally World and picked up some (in the health and beauty
> > aisle? *shrug*) But now how do I set the trap? Just sprinkle a
little
> > in certain places? This stuff seems to come in a bottle similar to
> > vitamins (along with the child proof cap that in this case is
actually
> > needed) so it doesn't seem that easy to sprinkle. And what if a
wind
> > kicks it up into your face (from AC or outside)?
> >
> > How do you use this stuff?? Any help is appreciated! The ants are
> > plotting as we speak! Thanks
> >
> > Jim

Jim
July 3rd 03, 06:08 AM
And I'm guessing I'm going to need rubber gloves and a face mask to
sprinkle this stuff right? Or is it not very toxic to humans?

Jim > wrote in message
> They're bad in the bathroom. Is it safe to sprinkle where you
frequent?
> What about the sinks and near the shower? Wouldn't this get pretty
> messy having this stuff spread out on the sink and floor areas (even
if
> just in the crevices)?
>
> SlinkyToy > wrote in message
> . ..
> > Mix it with a bit of nice juicy brown sugar, then sprinkle it in the
> areas
> > where you see the ants. It isn't an instant solution and does take
> time,
> > but eventually the ants will be gone. This also works for roaches.
> >
> > "Jim" > wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > > Ok, lots of people recommend boric acid to get rid of ants. So I
> went
> > > to my local Wally World and picked up some (in the health and
beauty
> > > aisle? *shrug*) But now how do I set the trap? Just sprinkle a
> little
> > > in certain places? This stuff seems to come in a bottle similar
> > > vitamins (along with the child proof cap that in this case is
> actually
> > > needed) so it doesn't seem that easy to sprinkle. And what if a
> wind
> > > kicks it up into your face (from AC or outside)?
> > >
> > > How do you use this stuff?? Any help is appreciated! The ants
are
> > > plotting as we speak! Thanks
> > >
> > > Jim

Karen Wheless
July 3rd 03, 07:02 AM
> And I'm guessing I'm going to need rubber gloves and a face mask to
> sprinkle this stuff right? Or is it not very toxic to humans?

Borax is not toxic to humans (unless you eat it by the cupful). It's
often used as a laundry additive and cleaner. Boric acid (which isn't
quite the same thing) is used as a disinfectant and antiseptic - even as
an eye wash (diluted). So you don't need to worry about it being toxic
as long as you take general precautions (don't eat it, wash your hands
afterwards).

But you will need to mix it with something - usually sugar - to attract
the ants. You can also mix it with liquid (honey or sugar solution)
which will also attract the ants and be somewhat less messy. However, I
found that it didn't work as well this way - the ants just seemed to
cluster around the honey and die, and never take it back with them.

You don't have to spread it everywhere - the idea is to attract the
ants, who eat the borax and carry it back with them. You don't have to
apply it all over your bathroom, just one or two places is fine. It
will take a little while to work, but it does work eventually.

Karen

Books for Sale!
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze234sc/pages/booksforsale.html

Karen Wheless
July 3rd 03, 07:02 AM
> And I'm guessing I'm going to need rubber gloves and a face mask to
> sprinkle this stuff right? Or is it not very toxic to humans?

Borax is not toxic to humans (unless you eat it by the cupful). It's
often used as a laundry additive and cleaner. Boric acid (which isn't
quite the same thing) is used as a disinfectant and antiseptic - even as
an eye wash (diluted). So you don't need to worry about it being toxic
as long as you take general precautions (don't eat it, wash your hands
afterwards).

But you will need to mix it with something - usually sugar - to attract
the ants. You can also mix it with liquid (honey or sugar solution)
which will also attract the ants and be somewhat less messy. However, I
found that it didn't work as well this way - the ants just seemed to
cluster around the honey and die, and never take it back with them.

You don't have to spread it everywhere - the idea is to attract the
ants, who eat the borax and carry it back with them. You don't have to
apply it all over your bathroom, just one or two places is fine. It
will take a little while to work, but it does work eventually.

Karen

Books for Sale!
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze234sc/pages/booksforsale.html

Jim
July 3rd 03, 08:07 AM
Thanks again! At last my klepto ways will pay off... ;)

Karen Wheless > wrote in message
news:1fxhyqo.1e7db4i1tib4tsN%[email protected] .net...
> > Thanks. will sugar substitutes work just as well as the sugar? We
use
> > equal.
>
> You really need real sugar - I don't think ants are attracted to the
> substitutes in the same way. You won't need much - just snag a packet
> or two from the nearest coffee shop.
>
> Karen
>
> --
> ---
> Books for Sale!
> http://mysite.verizon.net/vze234sc/pages/booksforsale.html

Jim
July 3rd 03, 08:07 AM
Thanks again! At last my klepto ways will pay off... ;)

Karen Wheless > wrote in message
news:1fxhyqo.1e7db4i1tib4tsN%[email protected] .net...
> > Thanks. will sugar substitutes work just as well as the sugar? We
use
> > equal.
>
> You really need real sugar - I don't think ants are attracted to the
> substitutes in the same way. You won't need much - just snag a packet
> or two from the nearest coffee shop.
>
> Karen
>
> --
> ---
> Books for Sale!
> http://mysite.verizon.net/vze234sc/pages/booksforsale.html

July 3rd 03, 04:10 PM
"Jim" > wrote:

>Thanks again! At last my klepto ways will pay off... ;)
>
>Karen Wheless > wrote in message
>news:1fxhyqo.1e7db4i1tib4tsN%[email protected] .net...
>> > Thanks. will sugar substitutes work just as well as the sugar? We
>use
>> > equal.
>>
>> You really need real sugar - I don't think ants are attracted to the
>> substitutes in the same way. You won't need much - just snag a packet
>> or two from the nearest coffee shop.
>>
>> Karen

I think you'll find there are sugar loving and grease loving ants. A bit of
fruit or juice from fruit will attract the sugar lovers, and meat drippings,
chicken broth, etc. will attract the grease lovers. Ants don't so much eat as
drink their food, so you may have more success with a cotton ball dipped in a
bait/boric acid solution and kept under a propped up inverted cup to minimize
evaporation. The amount of boric acid used should be minimal. Borax will work
almost as well. The idea is not to kill the individual ant immediately, but to
let the bait be taken to the queen.

July 3rd 03, 04:10 PM
"Jim" > wrote:

>Thanks again! At last my klepto ways will pay off... ;)
>
>Karen Wheless > wrote in message
>news:1fxhyqo.1e7db4i1tib4tsN%[email protected] .net...
>> > Thanks. will sugar substitutes work just as well as the sugar? We
>use
>> > equal.
>>
>> You really need real sugar - I don't think ants are attracted to the
>> substitutes in the same way. You won't need much - just snag a packet
>> or two from the nearest coffee shop.
>>
>> Karen

I think you'll find there are sugar loving and grease loving ants. A bit of
fruit or juice from fruit will attract the sugar lovers, and meat drippings,
chicken broth, etc. will attract the grease lovers. Ants don't so much eat as
drink their food, so you may have more success with a cotton ball dipped in a
bait/boric acid solution and kept under a propped up inverted cup to minimize
evaporation. The amount of boric acid used should be minimal. Borax will work
almost as well. The idea is not to kill the individual ant immediately, but to
let the bait be taken to the queen.

Halcitron
July 3rd 03, 11:15 PM
>From: "SlinkyToy"
>Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living

>Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 04:08:59 GMT

>Mix it with a bit of nice juicy brown sugar, then sprinkle it in the areas
>where you see the ants.

I wouldn't add sugar.

caveat lector

Halcitron misc.survivalism
Check your six and know when to duck.
NRA Member since 2002
The Law of the Land, is the weapon in your hand.

Smith & Wesson starts where the Bill of Rights stop.

Halcitron
July 3rd 03, 11:15 PM
>From: "SlinkyToy"
>Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living

>Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 04:08:59 GMT

>Mix it with a bit of nice juicy brown sugar, then sprinkle it in the areas
>where you see the ants.

I wouldn't add sugar.

caveat lector

Halcitron misc.survivalism
Check your six and know when to duck.
NRA Member since 2002
The Law of the Land, is the weapon in your hand.

Smith & Wesson starts where the Bill of Rights stop.

Robert F Wieland
July 4th 03, 08:25 PM
Back when I lived in the apartment, and was overrun with roaches, I used
boric acid for control (works like borax, which is the hydrated sodium
salt of boric acid). I would spread a layer of a few spoonfuls boric acid
powder where the sun would fall on it, to dry it to cracker dryness.
Then I'd put the dried powder in a cheap plastic "ketchup or mustard"
squeeze bottle. I'd shake the mostly-empty bottle well, then take the cap
off & squeeze the bottle: a cloud of boric acid "smoke" would come out.
I'd direct this "smoke" into the nearly-inaccessable area underneath the
kitchen floor cabinets. Once in there, the particles would settle out,
and do their thing: the roaches would walk through, get their feet
contaminated, then ingest the tasteless, odorless stuff when they
"groomed".

I read in an old "home recipe" book about making ant killer by from 5%
Borax with 95% yellow cornmeal: dampen, mix thoroughly, dry, leave where
there were lots of ants, and let them have all they want. Never tried it
myself. The theory was that it was so slow-acting that the adult workers
would take it back to the colony & feed it to the grubs, so the colony
would collapse & disappear in a few weeks when there was no next
generation of workers.

--

R F Wieland Newark, DE 19711-5323 USA 39.68N 75.74W
Icom R75 Heathkit GR-81 Inverted-L in the attic

[...]

Google