PDA

View Full Version : Re: Ants: Ok I've got the borax. Now what do I DO with it??


Fern5827
July 3rd 03, 03:32 PM
My ants have not appeared since we killed the huge thicket of ivy which grew
along the perimeter of the foundation of the house.

And these ants were annual visitors. Every summer.

Scrupulous cleanliness around kitchen counters kept them hidden, but let a
crumb appear and they swarmed.

Also liked dog's food dish. Dog didn't like ant.

July 3rd 03, 04:02 PM
(Fern5827) wrote:

>Also liked dog's food dish. Dog didn't like ant.

If you ever run into that problem again, stick the dog dish on a plate filled
with water or soapy water. The ants won't be able to reach the food and the
dog won't be eating the ants.

July 3rd 03, 04:02 PM
(Fern5827) wrote:

>Also liked dog's food dish. Dog didn't like ant.

If you ever run into that problem again, stick the dog dish on a plate filled
with water or soapy water. The ants won't be able to reach the food and the
dog won't be eating the ants.

Jim
July 3rd 03, 06:38 PM
I've got boric acid. No question about it. Bought at Walmart in a
white child proof bottle that looks exactly like a vitamin bottle with a
light green label. How would you go about diluting this stuff, about
what concentration, and what would you dilute it with? Obviously not
sugar. ;) Thanks
> wrote in message
...
> Derald Martin > wrote:
>
> >"Jim" > wrote:
> >
> >>Hi,
> >>Ok, lots of people recommend boric acid to get rid of ants.
> > Boric acid and borax are not the same things. Which do you have?
> >Boric acid was touted as an insecticide a few years back; someone
even
> >produced a commercial product called, "Roach Pruf", which I suspect
had
> >performed its function when the cash changed hands.
> > I have never used boric acid personally but back there when it was
> >all the rage, my mother used it (we are in FL, where the American
> >cockroach (AKA "palmetto bugs") is our secondary agricultural
livestock
> >product---mosquitoes being primary) with no success whatsoever. I do
not
> >know what else she may have tried before tossing the stuff but I do
know
> >that granulated sugar, powdered confectioners' sugar, and one of
those
> >dry mix "chocolate" milk flavorings, are among the items that were
> >completely ineffectual. Bear in mind, though, that there is every
chance
> >that she simply did not leave the concoctions in place long enough
for
> >them to work!
> > Good Luck.
>
> See my other post. Ants mostly drink their food rather than eat it
dry. Some
> sources even go so far as to say that ants exclusively drink food
(which I
> don't agree with).

Jim
July 3rd 03, 06:38 PM
I've got boric acid. No question about it. Bought at Walmart in a
white child proof bottle that looks exactly like a vitamin bottle with a
light green label. How would you go about diluting this stuff, about
what concentration, and what would you dilute it with? Obviously not
sugar. ;) Thanks
> wrote in message
...
> Derald Martin > wrote:
>
> >"Jim" > wrote:
> >
> >>Hi,
> >>Ok, lots of people recommend boric acid to get rid of ants.
> > Boric acid and borax are not the same things. Which do you have?
> >Boric acid was touted as an insecticide a few years back; someone
even
> >produced a commercial product called, "Roach Pruf", which I suspect
had
> >performed its function when the cash changed hands.
> > I have never used boric acid personally but back there when it was
> >all the rage, my mother used it (we are in FL, where the American
> >cockroach (AKA "palmetto bugs") is our secondary agricultural
livestock
> >product---mosquitoes being primary) with no success whatsoever. I do
not
> >know what else she may have tried before tossing the stuff but I do
know
> >that granulated sugar, powdered confectioners' sugar, and one of
those
> >dry mix "chocolate" milk flavorings, are among the items that were
> >completely ineffectual. Bear in mind, though, that there is every
chance
> >that she simply did not leave the concoctions in place long enough
for
> >them to work!
> > Good Luck.
>
> See my other post. Ants mostly drink their food rather than eat it
dry. Some
> sources even go so far as to say that ants exclusively drink food
(which I
> don't agree with).

Jim
July 3rd 03, 06:40 PM
Oh and a liberal amount of pounding on the suckers works pretty well too
as i've found out. Necessity is the mother of invention as they say.
;)
Jim > wrote in message
...
> Hi,
> Ok, lots of people recommend boric acid to get rid of ants. So I went
> to my local Wally World and picked up some (in the health and beauty
> aisle? *shrug*) But now how do I set the trap? Just sprinkle a
little
> in certain places? This stuff seems to come in a bottle similar to
> vitamins (along with the child proof cap that in this case is actually
> needed) so it doesn't seem that easy to sprinkle. And what if a wind
> kicks it up into your face (from AC or outside)?
>
> How do you use this stuff?? Any help is appreciated! The ants are
> plotting as we speak! Thanks
>
> Jim
>

Jim
July 3rd 03, 06:40 PM
Oh and a liberal amount of pounding on the suckers works pretty well too
as i've found out. Necessity is the mother of invention as they say.
;)
Jim > wrote in message
...
> Hi,
> Ok, lots of people recommend boric acid to get rid of ants. So I went
> to my local Wally World and picked up some (in the health and beauty
> aisle? *shrug*) But now how do I set the trap? Just sprinkle a
little
> in certain places? This stuff seems to come in a bottle similar to
> vitamins (along with the child proof cap that in this case is actually
> needed) so it doesn't seem that easy to sprinkle. And what if a wind
> kicks it up into your face (from AC or outside)?
>
> How do you use this stuff?? Any help is appreciated! The ants are
> plotting as we speak! Thanks
>
> Jim
>

July 3rd 03, 07:44 PM
"Jim" > wrote:

>I've got boric acid. No question about it. Bought at Walmart in a
>white child proof bottle that looks exactly like a vitamin bottle with a
>light green label. How would you go about diluting this stuff, about
>what concentration, and what would you dilute it with? Obviously not
>sugar. ;) Thanks

You mustuv gotton the expensive kind. I don't think it'll work much better
than the 32oz for $6 bottles. :-)

If it is a powder, mix it to about a 5% solution. You can use water, apple
juice, or whatever seems to attract the ants.


Identify common ants:
http://www.terro.com/ant_id2.php

July 3rd 03, 07:44 PM
"Jim" > wrote:

>I've got boric acid. No question about it. Bought at Walmart in a
>white child proof bottle that looks exactly like a vitamin bottle with a
>light green label. How would you go about diluting this stuff, about
>what concentration, and what would you dilute it with? Obviously not
>sugar. ;) Thanks

You mustuv gotton the expensive kind. I don't think it'll work much better
than the 32oz for $6 bottles. :-)

If it is a powder, mix it to about a 5% solution. You can use water, apple
juice, or whatever seems to attract the ants.


Identify common ants:
http://www.terro.com/ant_id2.php

Jim
July 3rd 03, 08:04 PM
That figures. The only bottle I could find in the whole store and it
was 4 ounces! Cost about $3 I think. It says Humco Boric Acid Powder
NF from Household Farm. I thought it was generic and I was getting a
good deal. What is it with Wal-mart anyway? They only want to carry
name brand insecticides and cleaning powders. What happened to their
home brands? Anyway, I'm ranting I guess. Thanks for the tip. Btw,
where do I look for the 32 oz bottle next go around? :)

> wrote in message
...
> "Jim" > wrote:
>
> >I've got boric acid. No question about it. Bought at Walmart in a
> >white child proof bottle that looks exactly like a vitamin bottle
with a
> >light green label. How would you go about diluting this stuff, about
> >what concentration, and what would you dilute it with? Obviously not
> >sugar. ;) Thanks
>
> You mustuv gotton the expensive kind. I don't think it'll work much
better
> than the 32oz for $6 bottles. :-)
>
> If it is a powder, mix it to about a 5% solution. You can use water,
apple
> juice, or whatever seems to attract the ants.
>
>
> Identify common ants:
> http://www.terro.com/ant_id2.php

Jim
July 3rd 03, 08:04 PM
That figures. The only bottle I could find in the whole store and it
was 4 ounces! Cost about $3 I think. It says Humco Boric Acid Powder
NF from Household Farm. I thought it was generic and I was getting a
good deal. What is it with Wal-mart anyway? They only want to carry
name brand insecticides and cleaning powders. What happened to their
home brands? Anyway, I'm ranting I guess. Thanks for the tip. Btw,
where do I look for the 32 oz bottle next go around? :)

> wrote in message
...
> "Jim" > wrote:
>
> >I've got boric acid. No question about it. Bought at Walmart in a
> >white child proof bottle that looks exactly like a vitamin bottle
with a
> >light green label. How would you go about diluting this stuff, about
> >what concentration, and what would you dilute it with? Obviously not
> >sugar. ;) Thanks
>
> You mustuv gotton the expensive kind. I don't think it'll work much
better
> than the 32oz for $6 bottles. :-)
>
> If it is a powder, mix it to about a 5% solution. You can use water,
apple
> juice, or whatever seems to attract the ants.
>
>
> Identify common ants:
> http://www.terro.com/ant_id2.php

Halcitron
July 3rd 03, 11:12 PM
>From: "Jim"
>Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
>Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 22:43:44 -0500

Are we talking about Borax (Boraxo soap) or Boric Acid?

Sprinkle around the ouside perimeter of the building, then inside along walls,
door jams, under the fridge, under the kitchen sink (way in the back behind
the bottom shelf.)

Anyplace roaches and ants enter or hide.



caveat lector

Halcitron misc.survivalism
Check your six and know when to duck.
NRA Member since 2002
The Law of the Land, is the weapon in your hand.

Smith & Wesson starts where the Bill of Rights stop.

Halcitron
July 3rd 03, 11:12 PM
>From: "Jim"
>Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
>Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 22:43:44 -0500

Are we talking about Borax (Boraxo soap) or Boric Acid?

Sprinkle around the ouside perimeter of the building, then inside along walls,
door jams, under the fridge, under the kitchen sink (way in the back behind
the bottom shelf.)

Anyplace roaches and ants enter or hide.



caveat lector

Halcitron misc.survivalism
Check your six and know when to duck.
NRA Member since 2002
The Law of the Land, is the weapon in your hand.

Smith & Wesson starts where the Bill of Rights stop.

~^Johnny^~
July 13th 03, 09:14 AM
On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 17:44:16 GMT, wrote:

>If it is a powder, mix it to about a 5% solution.


If it is a white powder, it isn't boric acid. It's boric oxide.
Boric oxide dissolves in water to form an acic, much the way that
oxides of sulfur, phosphorous, and other non-metals do.

B2O3 + 3 H2O = 2 H3BO3

However, boric oxide is sometimes referred to as "boric acid powder".

Borax is even farther distant: it is ... RBO2OH+BO3OH... interlocked,
or, impirically, sodium perborate decahydrate; Na2B4O7 + 10 H2O
Notice the water of crystallization, which is absent in "boric acid
powder" :-)
--
-john


~~~~~~~~
Always listen to experts. They will explain what
can't be done and why. Then do it. - Robert Heinlein
~~~~~~~~

~^Johnny^~
July 13th 03, 09:14 AM
On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 17:44:16 GMT, wrote:

>If it is a powder, mix it to about a 5% solution.


If it is a white powder, it isn't boric acid. It's boric oxide.
Boric oxide dissolves in water to form an acic, much the way that
oxides of sulfur, phosphorous, and other non-metals do.

B2O3 + 3 H2O = 2 H3BO3

However, boric oxide is sometimes referred to as "boric acid powder".

Borax is even farther distant: it is ... RBO2OH+BO3OH... interlocked,
or, impirically, sodium perborate decahydrate; Na2B4O7 + 10 H2O
Notice the water of crystallization, which is absent in "boric acid
powder" :-)
--
-john


~~~~~~~~
Always listen to experts. They will explain what
can't be done and why. Then do it. - Robert Heinlein
~~~~~~~~

~^Johnny^~
July 13th 03, 09:17 AM
On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 00:14:13 -0700, ~^Johnny^~
<[email protected] e.comINVALID>
wrote:

>to form an acic

to form an acid

~^Johnny^~
July 13th 03, 09:17 AM
On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 00:14:13 -0700, ~^Johnny^~
<[email protected] e.comINVALID>
wrote:

>to form an acic

to form an acid

Google