PDA

View Full Version : Re: Losing Overtime Pay?

Albert Wagner
July 3rd 03, 10:12 AM
On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 09:54:43 -0400
JohnDoe > wrote:
<snip>
> without reading the article, the URL jumps out as OPINOIN, I do not
> buy into the NYTimes opinions regardless of what they say, the
> newspaper has a bias track record and any of their opinions is dubious

There is news and then there is opinion. The news is that the Labor
Dept did in fact announce their intent to rename workers with wages
greater then 22K as "executives" and therefore not eligible for
overtime. Regardless of what the NYTimes's opinion is regarding this,
is has happened.

JohnDoe > wrote:
<snip>
> without reading the article, the URL jumps out as OPINOIN, I do not
> buy into the NYTimes opinions regardless of what they say, the
> newspaper has a bias track record and any of their opinions is dubious

There is news and then there is opinion. The news is that the Labor
Dept did in fact announce their intent to rename workers with wages
greater then 22K as "executives" and therefore not eligible for
overtime. Regardless of what the NYTimes's opinion is regarding this,
is has happened.

Nick Pine
July 3rd 03, 04:09 PM
JohnDoe > wrote:

>>See: http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/03/opinion/03HERB.html

>...without reading the article, the URL jumps out as OPINOIN,

The URL hasn't read the article? How does it jump? What's an OPINOIN? :-)

>I do not buy into the NYTimes opinions regardless of what they say, the
>newspaper has a bias track record and any of their opinions is dubious

Perhaps your carelessness colors your buying. A more careful reader might
put a comma after your word "opinions" and use the word "biased" vs your
"bias" and use a period vs. your comma and use the word "are" with a plural
subject and use a comma before your "and."

Nick

leslie
July 3rd 03, 04:38 PM
JohnDoe ) wrote:
: without reading the article, the URL jumps out as OPINOIN, I do not
: buy into the NYTimes opinions regardless of what they say, the
: newspaper has a bias track record and any of their opinions is dubious

Here's an article written by the vice president and policy director of
the Economic Policy Institute:

http://www.epinet.org/content.cfm/webfeatures_viewpoints_longerdays_noovertime
Just What the Worker Needs: Longer Days, No Overtime -- Viewpoints | EPI

leslie
July 3rd 03, 04:38 PM
JohnDoe ) wrote:
: without reading the article, the URL jumps out as OPINOIN, I do not
: buy into the NYTimes opinions regardless of what they say, the
: newspaper has a bias track record and any of their opinions is dubious

Here's an article written by the vice president and policy director of
the Economic Policy Institute:

http://www.epinet.org/content.cfm/webfeatures_viewpoints_longerdays_noovertime
Just What the Worker Needs: Longer Days, No Overtime -- Viewpoints | EPI

Arri London
July 4th 03, 01:37 AM
JohnDoe wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 09:39:40 -0400, Pat Meadows >
> wrote:
>

> >NY Times story today:

> >The Bush administration, which has the very bad habit of
> >smiling at working people while siphoning money from their
> >pockets, is trying to change the federal Fair Labor
> >Standards Act in a way that could cause millions of workers
> >to lose their right to overtime pay
> >-----------------------------------------------------
> >
> >See: http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/03/opinion/03HERB.html
> >
> without reading the article, the URL jumps out as OPINOIN, I do not
> buy into the NYTimes opinions regardless of what they say, the
> newspaper has a bias track record and any of their opinions is dubious

ROTFL! But of course the newspaper/TV news/Internet news you
absorb is not biased? All media are biased. Just because you
don't like the NYT (which is a newspaper of record) doesn't
mean the story isn't true.
However, that would take some intelligence to verify
wouldn't it?

Arri London
July 4th 03, 01:37 AM
JohnDoe wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 09:39:40 -0400, Pat Meadows >
> wrote:
>

> >NY Times story today:

> >The Bush administration, which has the very bad habit of
> >smiling at working people while siphoning money from their
> >pockets, is trying to change the federal Fair Labor
> >Standards Act in a way that could cause millions of workers
> >to lose their right to overtime pay
> >-----------------------------------------------------
> >
> >See: http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/03/opinion/03HERB.html
> >
> without reading the article, the URL jumps out as OPINOIN, I do not
> buy into the NYTimes opinions regardless of what they say, the
> newspaper has a bias track record and any of their opinions is dubious

ROTFL! But of course the newspaper/TV news/Internet news you
absorb is not biased? All media are biased. Just because you
don't like the NYT (which is a newspaper of record) doesn't
mean the story isn't true.
However, that would take some intelligence to verify
wouldn't it?

dogsnus
July 4th 03, 04:14 PM
JohnDoe > wrote in
:

Some_ of us read news other than CNN, which reported
that John Malvo was a member of the Idaho Aryan Nation.
SOME of us listen to NPR and 3 different financial news
channels each morning.
SOME of us also read several different financial paper copies
daily, as well.

Idiot.

How you got out of my filter is beyond me, but back
in you go, Kortlander.

Terri

dogsnus
July 4th 03, 04:14 PM
JohnDoe > wrote in
:

Some_ of us read news other than CNN, which reported
that John Malvo was a member of the Idaho Aryan Nation.
SOME of us listen to NPR and 3 different financial news
channels each morning.
SOME of us also read several different financial paper copies
daily, as well.

Idiot.

How you got out of my filter is beyond me, but back
in you go, Kortlander.

Terri

Google