PDA

View Full Version : Ants

Joan
July 3rd 03, 06:35 PM
In my ant battles I learned; but keep on learning!

Ants evidently won't cross white -- campers sprinkle a ring of flour
around their campsite or even on the ground around the tires of their
trailers.

Borox is white. I disolve it in a bit of water and put it in a spray
bottle. Spray the ants directly & you'll kill them. Try to find the
trail, and spray around it, creating ant size pools. I sometimes give
the little critters a boost into a drop of ..... he, he, he .....

The theory is they'll go home to tell the rest of the gang about the
fine establishment and kill off the whole colony. Sometimes it takes
a couple of days, but it does work.

If you look at some of the commercial ant killing products you'll see
the only active ingredient is borox.

I've only had tiny sugar ants here -- not the big reds or fire ants,
so would like to hear from others if this is a successful tool.

Joan

Victor Smith
July 3rd 03, 08:14 PM
On 3 Jul 2003 09:35:57 -0700, (Joan) wrote:

>In my ant battles I learned; but keep on learning!
>
>Ants evidently won't cross white -- campers sprinkle a ring of flour
>around their campsite or even on the ground around the tires of their
>trailers.
>
>Borox is white. I disolve it in a bit of water and put it in a spray
>bottle. Spray the ants directly & you'll kill them. Try to find the
>trail, and spray around it, creating ant size pools. I sometimes give
>the little critters a boost into a drop of ..... he, he, he .....
>
>The theory is they'll go home to tell the rest of the gang about the
>fine establishment and kill off the whole colony. Sometimes it takes
>a couple of days, but it does work.
>
>If you look at some of the commercial ant killing products you'll see
>the only active ingredient is borox.
>
>I've only had tiny sugar ants here -- not the big reds or fire ants,
>so would like to hear from others if this is a successful tool.

Don't know about borax, but I've got one dog, the little one, who is
an anter. That's like a mouser, but ant replaces mouse.
I've been meaning to find out if eating ants is bad for her,
but so far she seems ok with it.

--Vic

Victor Smith
July 3rd 03, 08:14 PM
On 3 Jul 2003 09:35:57 -0700, (Joan) wrote:

>In my ant battles I learned; but keep on learning!
>
>Ants evidently won't cross white -- campers sprinkle a ring of flour
>around their campsite or even on the ground around the tires of their
>trailers.
>
>Borox is white. I disolve it in a bit of water and put it in a spray
>bottle. Spray the ants directly & you'll kill them. Try to find the
>trail, and spray around it, creating ant size pools. I sometimes give
>the little critters a boost into a drop of ..... he, he, he .....
>
>The theory is they'll go home to tell the rest of the gang about the
>fine establishment and kill off the whole colony. Sometimes it takes
>a couple of days, but it does work.
>
>If you look at some of the commercial ant killing products you'll see
>the only active ingredient is borox.
>
>I've only had tiny sugar ants here -- not the big reds or fire ants,
>so would like to hear from others if this is a successful tool.

Don't know about borax, but I've got one dog, the little one, who is
an anter. That's like a mouser, but ant replaces mouse.
I've been meaning to find out if eating ants is bad for her,
but so far she seems ok with it.

--Vic

Ed Clarke
July 3rd 03, 09:47 PM
In article >, Victor Smith wrote:

> Don't know about borax, but I've got one dog, the little one, who is
> an anter. That's like a mouser, but ant replaces mouse.
> I've been meaning to find out if eating ants is bad for her,
> but so far she seems ok with it.

Ants are fine for the dog; just don't feed her the chocolate covered
ants that you can buy at gormet stores. The chocolate is bad for dogs.

Ed Clarke
July 3rd 03, 09:47 PM
In article >, Victor Smith wrote:

> Don't know about borax, but I've got one dog, the little one, who is
> an anter. That's like a mouser, but ant replaces mouse.
> I've been meaning to find out if eating ants is bad for her,
> but so far she seems ok with it.

Ants are fine for the dog; just don't feed her the chocolate covered
ants that you can buy at gormet stores. The chocolate is bad for dogs.

WD
July 4th 03, 11:01 PM
"Joan" > wrote in message
m...
> In my ant battles I learned; but keep on learning!
>
> Ants evidently won't cross white -- campers sprinkle a ring of flour
> around their campsite or even on the ground around the tires of their
> trailers.
>
> Borox is white. I disolve it in a bit of water and put it in a spray
> bottle. Spray the ants directly & you'll kill them. Try to find the
> trail, and spray around it, creating ant size pools. I sometimes give
> the little critters a boost into a drop of ..... he, he, he .....
>
> The theory is they'll go home to tell the rest of the gang about the
> fine establishment and kill off the whole colony. Sometimes it takes
> a couple of days, but it does work.
>
> If you look at some of the commercial ant killing products you'll see
> the only active ingredient is borox.
>
> I've only had tiny sugar ants here -- not the big reds or fire ants,
> so would like to hear from others if this is a successful tool.
>
> Joan

Joan,

My grandmother swore that ants wouldn't cross black pepper... they did. The
ants are probably spending their time ~eating~ the flour spread around the
campsite, so why bother crossing it?

As far as sweet eating ants, the best stuff I've found to get rid of them is
an ant bait called Terro. You place a drop of it on a small square of
cardboard and sit it in an out of the way place (this stuff contains
Aresnic, so be careful) sweet eating ants love it, they track to it and it
kills them off. It's fairly cheap, (I'm in the US btw) and generally found
with other insectisides.

Wendy

WD
July 4th 03, 11:01 PM
"Joan" > wrote in message
m...
> In my ant battles I learned; but keep on learning!
>
> Ants evidently won't cross white -- campers sprinkle a ring of flour
> around their campsite or even on the ground around the tires of their
> trailers.
>
> Borox is white. I disolve it in a bit of water and put it in a spray
> bottle. Spray the ants directly & you'll kill them. Try to find the
> trail, and spray around it, creating ant size pools. I sometimes give
> the little critters a boost into a drop of ..... he, he, he .....
>
> The theory is they'll go home to tell the rest of the gang about the
> fine establishment and kill off the whole colony. Sometimes it takes
> a couple of days, but it does work.
>
> If you look at some of the commercial ant killing products you'll see
> the only active ingredient is borox.
>
> I've only had tiny sugar ants here -- not the big reds or fire ants,
> so would like to hear from others if this is a successful tool.
>
> Joan

Joan,

My grandmother swore that ants wouldn't cross black pepper... they did. The
ants are probably spending their time ~eating~ the flour spread around the
campsite, so why bother crossing it?

As far as sweet eating ants, the best stuff I've found to get rid of them is
an ant bait called Terro. You place a drop of it on a small square of
cardboard and sit it in an out of the way place (this stuff contains
Aresnic, so be careful) sweet eating ants love it, they track to it and it
kills them off. It's fairly cheap, (I'm in the US btw) and generally found
with other insectisides.

Wendy

Victor Smith
July 5th 03, 10:26 PM
On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 18:16:25 GMT, liv > wrote:

>On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 18:14:39 GMT, Victor Smith
> wrote:
>
>(snip)
>>Don't know about borax, but I've got one dog, the little one, who is
>>an anter. That's like a mouser, but ant replaces mouse.
>>I've been meaning to find out if eating ants is bad for her,
>>but so far she seems ok with it.
>----------------
>Ants contain formic acid--the acid of which formaldehyde is the
>aldehyde. In large quantities they would be toxic, or more toxic than
>most bugs. I wouldn't worry unless he is sucking down pounds of them.

Thanks. She just snacks on them. Now I can sleep easy.

--Vic

Victor Smith
July 5th 03, 10:26 PM
On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 18:16:25 GMT, liv > wrote:

>On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 18:14:39 GMT, Victor Smith
> wrote:
>
>(snip)
>>Don't know about borax, but I've got one dog, the little one, who is
>>an anter. That's like a mouser, but ant replaces mouse.
>>I've been meaning to find out if eating ants is bad for her,
>>but so far she seems ok with it.
>----------------
>Ants contain formic acid--the acid of which formaldehyde is the
>aldehyde. In large quantities they would be toxic, or more toxic than
>most bugs. I wouldn't worry unless he is sucking down pounds of them.

Thanks. She just snacks on them. Now I can sleep easy.

--Vic

Tomcat14
July 6th 03, 04:49 PM
"WD" > wrote in message >...
> "Joan" > wrote in message
> m...
> > In my ant battles I learned; but keep on learning!
> >
> > Ants evidently won't cross white -- campers sprinkle a ring of flour
> > around their campsite or even on the ground around the tires of their
> > trailers.
> >
> > Borox is white. I disolve it in a bit of water and put it in a spray
> > bottle. Spray the ants directly & you'll kill them. Try to find the
> > trail, and spray around it, creating ant size pools. I sometimes give
> > the little critters a boost into a drop of ..... he, he, he .....
> >
> > The theory is they'll go home to tell the rest of the gang about the
> > fine establishment and kill off the whole colony. Sometimes it takes
> > a couple of days, but it does work.
> >
> > If you look at some of the commercial ant killing products you'll see
> > the only active ingredient is borox.
> >
> > I've only had tiny sugar ants here -- not the big reds or fire ants,
> > so would like to hear from others if this is a successful tool.
> >
> > Joan
>
> Joan,
>
> My grandmother swore that ants wouldn't cross black pepper... they did. The
> ants are probably spending their time ~eating~ the flour spread around the
> campsite, so why bother crossing it?
>
> As far as sweet eating ants, the best stuff I've found to get rid of them is
> an ant bait called Terro. You place a drop of it on a small square of
> cardboard and sit it in an out of the way place (this stuff contains
> Aresnic, so be careful) sweet eating ants love it, they track to it and it
> kills them off. It's fairly cheap, (I'm in the US btw) and generally found
> with other insectisides.
>
> Wendy

Both the Terro and borax work.
Personally, I like to use WD-40. I discovered this by accident years
ago. You can spray in crevices where they like to come in. You don't
want to spray drywall and stain it of course. It does kill them and
knocks out their trail scents. I don't find the smell of WD-40
objectionable as some folks might.

Tomcat14
July 6th 03, 04:49 PM
"WD" > wrote in message >...
> "Joan" > wrote in message
> m...
> > In my ant battles I learned; but keep on learning!
> >
> > Ants evidently won't cross white -- campers sprinkle a ring of flour
> > around their campsite or even on the ground around the tires of their
> > trailers.
> >
> > Borox is white. I disolve it in a bit of water and put it in a spray
> > bottle. Spray the ants directly & you'll kill them. Try to find the
> > trail, and spray around it, creating ant size pools. I sometimes give
> > the little critters a boost into a drop of ..... he, he, he .....
> >
> > The theory is they'll go home to tell the rest of the gang about the
> > fine establishment and kill off the whole colony. Sometimes it takes
> > a couple of days, but it does work.
> >
> > If you look at some of the commercial ant killing products you'll see
> > the only active ingredient is borox.
> >
> > I've only had tiny sugar ants here -- not the big reds or fire ants,
> > so would like to hear from others if this is a successful tool.
> >
> > Joan
>
> Joan,
>
> My grandmother swore that ants wouldn't cross black pepper... they did. The
> ants are probably spending their time ~eating~ the flour spread around the
> campsite, so why bother crossing it?
>
> As far as sweet eating ants, the best stuff I've found to get rid of them is
> an ant bait called Terro. You place a drop of it on a small square of
> cardboard and sit it in an out of the way place (this stuff contains
> Aresnic, so be careful) sweet eating ants love it, they track to it and it
> kills them off. It's fairly cheap, (I'm in the US btw) and generally found
> with other insectisides.
>
> Wendy

Both the Terro and borax work.
Personally, I like to use WD-40. I discovered this by accident years
ago. You can spray in crevices where they like to come in. You don't
want to spray drywall and stain it of course. It does kill them and
knocks out their trail scents. I don't find the smell of WD-40
objectionable as some folks might.

Google