PDA

View Full Version : Freebies from Yard Sales

Tsu Dho Poster
July 3rd 03, 10:37 PM
This is the 2nd time I made out like a bandito by coming *late* to a sale.
(early birds get the best selection, but late-comers get the best
prices...sometimes Free) :)

Both of these were Moving sales, ending on Sunday.
Last Sun- I spotted 2 gents carrying monitors out to the curb. They said
they still worked & I was welcome to have them. ( 15 & 17 inch)
Also helped myself to an old keyboard, still in box, looked unused. Has a
built-in trackball. Software is missing, tho. Not being greedy, or
interested in collecting more junk, I just took a few things: a nice
suitcase on wheels, tv stand w/glass doors, a small food processor, clock
radio & 2 cases of old computer paper. Think it's what they call
tractorfeed, ? Don't guess there's a workaround to manually separating the
2,300 sheets?

I left behind:
Weightbench w/weights. Exercycle, microwave, food processor, expresso
machine, fans, lamps & tons of books, clothes. Also turned down an
invitation to tour the lg front porch, loaded w/household goodies. (they
were moving abroad)

<Jon K>

The Real Bev
July 4th 03, 12:09 AM
Tsu Dho Poster wrote:

> I just took a few things: a nice
> suitcase on wheels, tv stand w/glass doors, a small food processor, clock
> radio & 2 cases of old computer paper. Think it's what they call
> tractorfeed, ? Don't guess there's a workaround to manually separating the
> 2,300 sheets?

You know what tractorfeed is good for? Shopping lists for the legally
blind. We buy all we can at yard sales for my MIL -- a buck a box,
maybe.

--
Cheers,
Bev

The Real Bev
July 4th 03, 12:09 AM
Tsu Dho Poster wrote:

> I just took a few things: a nice
> suitcase on wheels, tv stand w/glass doors, a small food processor, clock
> radio & 2 cases of old computer paper. Think it's what they call
> tractorfeed, ? Don't guess there's a workaround to manually separating the
> 2,300 sheets?

You know what tractorfeed is good for? Shopping lists for the legally
blind. We buy all we can at yard sales for my MIL -- a buck a box,
maybe.

--
Cheers,
Bev
"Let them eat ****."
-- Marcel Antoinette, Marie's little-known brother

Janie
July 4th 03, 02:52 AM
You know what tractorfeed is good for? Shopping lists for the legally
blind. We buy all we can at yard sales for my MIL -- a buck a box,
maybe.

--
Cheers,
Bev

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What is wrong with tractor-feed paper? I bought several cases at a school
auction. When I am sitting around watching TV, I simply remove the tractor
edge and tear into sheets. The paper is then a standard size sheet and can
be used in my inkjet printer or whatever.

Janie
July 4th 03, 02:52 AM
You know what tractorfeed is good for? Shopping lists for the legally
blind. We buy all we can at yard sales for my MIL -- a buck a box,
maybe.

--
Cheers,
Bev

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What is wrong with tractor-feed paper? I bought several cases at a school
auction. When I am sitting around watching TV, I simply remove the tractor
edge and tear into sheets. The paper is then a standard size sheet and can
be used in my inkjet printer or whatever.

Shashay Doofray
July 4th 03, 04:27 AM
The Real Bev > wrote in message
> Tsu Dho Poster wrote:
>
> > I just took a few things: a nice
> > suitcase on wheels, tv stand w/glass doors, a small food processor,
clock
> > radio & 2 cases of old computer paper. Think it's what they call
> > tractorfeed, ? Don't guess there's a workaround to manually separating
the
> > 2,300 sheets?
>
> You know what tractorfeed is good for? Shopping lists for the legally
> blind. We buy all we can at yard sales for my MIL -- a buck a box,
> maybe.

Odd. I use them on my printer (Panasonic 2123 Dot Matrix). If I have a
project that doesn't require "costly" ink jet printing, I always use my old
dottie. It is far more cost effective and frankly, when I have a new ($8)
ribbon it it, I can't honestly distinguish it from ink jet.

You can pick up old dotties lots of places very inexpensively.

SD

Shashay Doofray
July 4th 03, 04:27 AM
The Real Bev > wrote in message
> Tsu Dho Poster wrote:
>
> > I just took a few things: a nice
> > suitcase on wheels, tv stand w/glass doors, a small food processor,
clock
> > radio & 2 cases of old computer paper. Think it's what they call
> > tractorfeed, ? Don't guess there's a workaround to manually separating
the
> > 2,300 sheets?
>
> You know what tractorfeed is good for? Shopping lists for the legally
> blind. We buy all we can at yard sales for my MIL -- a buck a box,
> maybe.

Odd. I use them on my printer (Panasonic 2123 Dot Matrix). If I have a
project that doesn't require "costly" ink jet printing, I always use my old
dottie. It is far more cost effective and frankly, when I have a new ($8)
ribbon it it, I can't honestly distinguish it from ink jet.

You can pick up old dotties lots of places very inexpensively.

SD

George
July 4th 03, 02:29 PM
"Tsu Dho Poster" > wrote in message

> This is the 2nd time I made out like a bandito by coming *late* to a sale.
> (early birds get the best selection, but late-comers get the best
> prices...sometimes Free) :)
>
> Both of these were Moving sales, ending on Sunday.
> Last Sun- I spotted 2 gents carrying monitors out to the curb. They said
> they still worked & I was welcome to have them. ( 15 & 17 inch)
> Also helped myself to an old keyboard, still in box, looked unused. Has a
> built-in trackball. Software is missing, tho. Not being greedy, or
> interested in collecting more junk, I just took a few things: a nice
> suitcase on wheels, tv stand w/glass doors, a small food processor, clock
> radio & 2 cases of old computer paper. Think it's what they call
> tractorfeed, ? Don't guess there's a workaround to manually separating the
> 2,300 sheets?

One of the old tricks used in data processing centers that did not have a
burster (machine where you fed in your stack of perfed paper and it pulled
it apart and stacked it) was to use a piece of sandpaper attached to a block
of wood and sand the perforated sides of the stack.

> I left behind:
> Weightbench w/weights. Exercycle, microwave, food processor, expresso
> machine, fans, lamps & tons of books, clothes. Also turned down an
> invitation to tour the lg front porch, loaded w/household goodies. (they
> were moving abroad)
>
> <Jon K>

George
July 4th 03, 02:29 PM
"Tsu Dho Poster" > wrote in message

> This is the 2nd time I made out like a bandito by coming *late* to a sale.
> (early birds get the best selection, but late-comers get the best
> prices...sometimes Free) :)
>
> Both of these were Moving sales, ending on Sunday.
> Last Sun- I spotted 2 gents carrying monitors out to the curb. They said
> they still worked & I was welcome to have them. ( 15 & 17 inch)
> Also helped myself to an old keyboard, still in box, looked unused. Has a
> built-in trackball. Software is missing, tho. Not being greedy, or
> interested in collecting more junk, I just took a few things: a nice
> suitcase on wheels, tv stand w/glass doors, a small food processor, clock
> radio & 2 cases of old computer paper. Think it's what they call
> tractorfeed, ? Don't guess there's a workaround to manually separating the
> 2,300 sheets?

One of the old tricks used in data processing centers that did not have a
burster (machine where you fed in your stack of perfed paper and it pulled
it apart and stacked it) was to use a piece of sandpaper attached to a block
of wood and sand the perforated sides of the stack.

> I left behind:
> Weightbench w/weights. Exercycle, microwave, food processor, expresso
> machine, fans, lamps & tons of books, clothes. Also turned down an
> invitation to tour the lg front porch, loaded w/household goodies. (they
> were moving abroad)
>
> <Jon K>

It's Just Me!
July 4th 03, 07:52 PM
The Real Bev wrote:

> You know what tractorfeed is good for? Shopping lists for the legally
> blind. We buy all we can at yard sales for my MIL -- a buck a box,
> maybe.

Hi, Bev! Just curious... why is it good for the legally blind? What
makes it so? Thanks!

It's Just Me!
July 4th 03, 07:52 PM
The Real Bev wrote:

> You know what tractorfeed is good for? Shopping lists for the legally
> blind. We buy all we can at yard sales for my MIL -- a buck a box,
> maybe.

Hi, Bev! Just curious... why is it good for the legally blind? What
makes it so? Thanks!

Tsu Dho Poster
July 4th 03, 10:36 PM
"Janie" > wrote in message
> You know what tractorfeed is good for? Shopping lists for the legally
> blind. We buy all we can at yard sales for my MIL -- a buck a box,
> maybe.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Bev
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> What is wrong with tractor-feed paper? I bought several cases at a school
> auction. When I am sitting around watching TV, I simply remove the
tractor
> edge and tear into sheets. The paper is then a standard size sheet and
can
> be used in my inkjet printer or whatever.

<BrainStorm> I don't watch TV (till football season), so I'll keep one box
on my front seat, can pick em apart while sitting in traffic.....

Tsu Dho Poster
July 4th 03, 10:36 PM
"Janie" > wrote in message
> You know what tractorfeed is good for? Shopping lists for the legally
> blind. We buy all we can at yard sales for my MIL -- a buck a box,
> maybe.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Bev
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> What is wrong with tractor-feed paper? I bought several cases at a school
> auction. When I am sitting around watching TV, I simply remove the
tractor
> edge and tear into sheets. The paper is then a standard size sheet and
can
> be used in my inkjet printer or whatever.

<BrainStorm> I don't watch TV (till football season), so I'll keep one box
on my front seat, can pick em apart while sitting in traffic.....

Tsu Dho Poster
July 4th 03, 10:39 PM
"It's Just Me!" > wrote in message
> The Real Bev wrote:
>
> > You know what tractorfeed is good for? Shopping lists for the legally
> > blind. We buy all we can at yard sales for my MIL -- a buck a box,
> > maybe.
>
> Hi, Bev! Just curious... why is it good for the legally blind? What
> makes it so? Thanks!

Hey....long time no "C" :)
I'd guess it cuz you can write really _LARGE_

Tsu Dho Poster
July 4th 03, 10:39 PM
"It's Just Me!" > wrote in message
> The Real Bev wrote:
>
> > You know what tractorfeed is good for? Shopping lists for the legally
> > blind. We buy all we can at yard sales for my MIL -- a buck a box,
> > maybe.
>
> Hi, Bev! Just curious... why is it good for the legally blind? What
> makes it so? Thanks!

Hey....long time no "C" :)
I'd guess it cuz you can write really _LARGE_

It's Just Me!
July 5th 03, 08:14 PM
Tsu Dho Poster wrote:

> Hey....long time no "C" :)
> I'd guess it cuz you can write really _LARGE_

Hey there, stranger! Life has a way of getting in the way of lounging
around computer time! :) Hope you are doing well!

It's Just Me!
July 5th 03, 08:14 PM

The Real Bev wrote:

> > Hi, Bev! Just curious... why is it good for the legally blind? What
> > makes it so? Thanks!
>
> My MIL is legally blind due to macular degeneration. This means that she
> can only read stuff printed in 2-inch-high letters. Accordingly, she
> needs lots of paper to make shopping lists, write down phone numbers,
> etc.

Ahhh.. okay! Thank you for the explanation!

It's Just Me!
July 5th 03, 08:14 PM