View Full Version : Re: Tenn. Parents Sue School Over Cameras

July 3rd 03, 11:42 PM
>From: (Winston Smith)
>Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 09:44:30 -0600

>In article >, wrote:
>And why are they not putting the school administration in jail for child

It isn't a child-pornography issue, under the law. It is a school safety and
securety issue, complicated by concerns over privacy.

If the site was advertised and if subscriptions were sold, then it becomes a
very sortid affair for the participants.

We are the early participants in the Internet, call us the lab-rats, but we
have the responsibility to guide/mold the Internet into what it will become,
respective of the BOR. Computer/Internet technology is in its infancy, we must
tread carfully through the quagmire of problems, and make careful choices about
the future.

>> July 1, 2003
>> Tenn. Parents Sue School Over Cameras
>> NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- A Tennessee middle school allowed security
>> cameras to film children undressing in locker rooms and then stored
>> the images on a computer accessible through the Internet, according to
>> a lawsuit filed by a group of angry parents.
>> The lawsuit filed last week in federal court in Nashville seeks $4.2
>> million in damages.
>> The parents contend the school system violated students' rights by
>> putting hidden cameras in boys and girls locker rooms at Livingston
>> Middle School. The cameras reportedly captured students, ages 10-14,
>> in various stages of undress.
>> ``The parents have been devastated by the conduct of the school
>> officials, by the videotaping and by the breach of trust,'' said
>> attorney Mark Chalos, who represents the parents of 16 girls and one
>> boy.
>> Chuck Cagle, lawyer for Overton County Schools, said he wouldn't
>> comment because he hadn't read the lawsuit.
>> EduTech Inc., the company that installed the surveillance cameras in
>> several Overton County schools also was named in the lawsuit.
>> Officials with the company had no comment.
>> Parents learned of the cameras when a student reported a suspicious
>> device in the school at Livingston, about 80 miles east of Nashville.
>> The lawsuit contends that images captured by the cameras were stored
>> on a hard drive in the office of the assistant principal could be
>> accessed from remote computers by the Internet. It claims the
>> computer's password security had not been changed from the factory
>> default setting.
>> The images were reportedly accessed 98 times between July 2002 and
>> January 2003 -- sometimes late at night and early in the morning --
>> and through Internet providers in Tennessee and South Carolina.
>> William Needham, director of Overton County Schools, said the
>> assistant principal has been transferred to another school in the
>> system.
>> Chalos said he doesn't know if the cameras are still operating.

caveat lector

Halcitron misc.survivalism
Check your six and know when to duck.
NRA Member since 2002
The Law of the Land, is the weapon in your hand.

Smith & Wesson starts where the Bill of Rights stop.