PDA

View Full Version : small wall mural needed - Please help!

The Fishers
July 4th 03, 02:59 AM
I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right newsgroup, but with all the
knowledge you all have out there, I thought there might be a couple of
people who can help me.

PROBLEM:

We are fixing up our basement. We're not wanting to put a whole lot of
money in it at this point. It is an almost finished basement with some
sheetrocked walls and some block walls, drop ceiling, etc. We are
repainting the walls and trim, adding new doors, light fixtures, etc.

There are only 2 small windows in the entire basement. The large main room
has no windows. Although there is enough light in the room, it does seem
kind of drab.

What I'd like to do is "add" 2 windows on one large wall via a small wall
mural. I thought about placing the mural on luan or like material and
attach to the wall. On top of this, I could add trim, then curtains to
dress it up.

The problem is I cannot find a mural that meets the test. I've searched the
internet and have found lots of window murals, but these all have the entire
window, to include trim. I want real trim on a small outdoor scene, which I
think will add depth to the room. I know I've seen this on home fix up
shows, so I know the outcome can be nice.

Does anyone know of any links to websites for this specific need? I'd sure
appreciate any guidance you could give me.

THANKS!

Debbie

SlinkyToy
July 4th 03, 03:11 AM
So use a mural you like and simply replace the tromp l'oie window with your
mock-up?

"The Fishers" > wrote in message
> [...]

> kind of drab.
>
> What I'd like to do is "add" 2 windows on one large wall via a small wall
> mural. I thought about placing the mural on luan or like material and
> attach to the wall. On top of this, I could add trim, then curtains to
> dress it up.
>
> The problem is I cannot find a mural that meets the test. I've searched
the
> internet and have found lots of window murals, but these all have the
entire
> window, to include trim. I want real trim on a small outdoor scene, which
> think will add depth to the room. I know I've seen this on home fix up
> shows, so I know the outcome can be nice.
>
> Does anyone know of any links to websites for this specific need? I'd
sure
> appreciate any guidance you could give me.

July 4th 03, 06:18 AM
"The Fishers" > wrote:

>I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right newsgroup, but with all the
>knowledge you all have out there, I thought there might be a couple of
>people who can help me.
>
>PROBLEM:
>
>We are fixing up our basement. We're not wanting to put a whole lot of
>money in it at this point. It is an almost finished basement with some
>sheetrocked walls and some block walls, drop ceiling, etc. We are
>repainting the walls and trim, adding new doors, light fixtures, etc.
>
>There are only 2 small windows in the entire basement. The large main room
>has no windows. Although there is enough light in the room, it does seem
>kind of drab.
>
>What I'd like to do is "add" 2 windows on one large wall via a small wall
>mural. I thought about placing the mural on luan or like material and
>attach to the wall. On top of this, I could add trim, then curtains to
>dress it up.
>
>The problem is I cannot find a mural that meets the test. I've searched the
>internet and have found lots of window murals, but these all have the entire
>window, to include trim. I want real trim on a small outdoor scene, which I
>think will add depth to the room. I know I've seen this on home fix up
>shows, so I know the outcome can be nice.
>
>Does anyone know of any links to websites for this specific need? I'd sure
>appreciate any guidance you could give me.
>
>THANKS!
>
>Debbie

Have you ever seen the rear lit posters at a movie theatre? Look for a
graphics printer that has a large fromat digital printer. Have your outdoor
photo enlarged and make a case where you can rear light the image. Find a
salvage window at an architectural salvage shop and place it in front.

There are other tricks that can be done to increase the 3-D or reality effect.

Also, check eBay for "waterfall motion photo." I found one item with this

This is a brand new in the box motion sign. It measures 42" by 22". It also has
the soothing sounds of the river running plus the sounds of birds chirping.
There is a volume control to even turn the sounds off. This is one of the best
and most clear motion of any signs I sell.

The motion is of the water falls and the foreground water. They appear to be
appear to be moving and flowing. The sign has a cord with an inline switch to
turn the power and moving water on and off.

It has a neon/flouresent type backlight inside the frame to light up the sign
and display the motion. This is the same technology as the old Hamm's signs.
It is very quiet and about the only thing you hear is the river running and the
birds.

Sounds like it attempts exactly what you are trying to do.

July 4th 03, 06:18 AM
"The Fishers" > wrote:

>I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right newsgroup, but with all the
>knowledge you all have out there, I thought there might be a couple of
>people who can help me.
>
>PROBLEM:
>
>We are fixing up our basement. We're not wanting to put a whole lot of
>money in it at this point. It is an almost finished basement with some
>sheetrocked walls and some block walls, drop ceiling, etc. We are
>repainting the walls and trim, adding new doors, light fixtures, etc.
>
>There are only 2 small windows in the entire basement. The large main room
>has no windows. Although there is enough light in the room, it does seem
>kind of drab.
>
>What I'd like to do is "add" 2 windows on one large wall via a small wall
>mural. I thought about placing the mural on luan or like material and
>attach to the wall. On top of this, I could add trim, then curtains to
>dress it up.
>
>The problem is I cannot find a mural that meets the test. I've searched the
>internet and have found lots of window murals, but these all have the entire
>window, to include trim. I want real trim on a small outdoor scene, which I
>think will add depth to the room. I know I've seen this on home fix up
>shows, so I know the outcome can be nice.
>
>Does anyone know of any links to websites for this specific need? I'd sure
>appreciate any guidance you could give me.
>
>THANKS!
>
>Debbie

Have you ever seen the rear lit posters at a movie theatre? Look for a
graphics printer that has a large fromat digital printer. Have your outdoor
photo enlarged and make a case where you can rear light the image. Find a
salvage window at an architectural salvage shop and place it in front.

There are other tricks that can be done to increase the 3-D or reality effect.

Also, check eBay for "waterfall motion photo." I found one item with this

This is a brand new in the box motion sign. It measures 42" by 22". It also has
the soothing sounds of the river running plus the sounds of birds chirping.
There is a volume control to even turn the sounds off. This is one of the best
and most clear motion of any signs I sell.

The motion is of the water falls and the foreground water. They appear to be
appear to be moving and flowing. The sign has a cord with an inline switch to
turn the power and moving water on and off.

It has a neon/flouresent type backlight inside the frame to light up the sign
and display the motion. This is the same technology as the old Hamm's signs.
It is very quiet and about the only thing you hear is the river running and the
birds.

Sounds like it attempts exactly what you are trying to do.

L. Maurer
July 4th 03, 01:23 PM
On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 20:59:28 -0400, "The Fishers" >
wrote:

Have you looked on the web for just a poster you might like? Even if
it is too large you can cut it to show the part you like best.

mama

wrote:

Have you looked on the web for just a poster you might like? Even if
it is too large you can cut it to show the part you like best.

mama

>What I'd like to do is "add" 2 windows on one large wall via a small wall
>mural. I thought about placing the mural on luan or like material and
>attach to the wall. On top of this, I could add trim, then curtains to
>dress it up.

The Fishers
July 5th 03, 02:32 AM
"Linda M. Young" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 20:59:28 -0400, "The Fishers" >
> wrote:
>
> >The problem is I cannot find a mural that meets the test. I've searched
the
> >internet and have found lots of window murals, but these all have the
entire
> >window, to include trim. I want real trim on a small outdoor scene,
which I
> >think will add depth to the room. I know I've seen this on home fix up
> >shows, so I know the outcome can be nice.
>
> The home fix-up shows imply that all this stuff can be found
> everywhere, which isn't true.
>
> If you can't find what you want, Debbie, I have a suggestion:
> Michael's has these mirrors that look like windows. There are four
> panel and six panel ones that I have seen. (I have one of the four
> panel ones over my dresser, with some pretty decals on it.) Some of
> them come with window boxes under them that you can put artificial
> flowers in. Perhaps you can buy two of these, remove the mirror glass,
> then find a poster with the outdoor scenes you like and put it in
> place of the glass? To save money, you could get the mirrors with the
> 40% off coupons Michael's always has.
>
> Linda

Linda,

Thanks! This sounds like something that I can do. We have a Michaels
nearby and I never thought about looking there. I appreciate the help!

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 20:59:28 -0400, someone wrote:

>The problem is I cannot find a mural that meets the test. I've searched the
>internet and have found lots of window murals, but these all have the entire
>window, to include trim. I want real trim on a small outdoor scene...

So put the real trim over the fake trim. Hide it. Nobody will know
it is there. Or cut off the fake trim around the perimeter (couldn't
do it if there is a fake sash going across the middle!)

-v.

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 20:59:28 -0400, someone wrote:

>The problem is I cannot find a mural that meets the test. I've searched the
>internet and have found lots of window murals, but these all have the entire
>window, to include trim. I want real trim on a small outdoor scene...

So put the real trim over the fake trim. Hide it. Nobody will know
it is there. Or cut off the fake trim around the perimeter (couldn't
do it if there is a fake sash going across the middle!)

-v.

Google