PDA

View Full Version : 3-in-1 printer/scanner/copiers with refillable ink cartridges?

dnrg
July 4th 03, 04:51 PM
Can any of these out on the market today be used with reinking kits?

I actually use an old HP DeskJet 500 for b&w printing and it seems
pretty economical; though I'm wondering if this one will accept
reinking cartridges as well.

Mostly, I want to have the scanner capability and the ability to color
print to t-shirt transfers so I suppose it wouldn't be the end of the
world if I couldn't find a 3-in-1 that wouldn't work with a reinking
kit. Apparently Epson is the brand to steer clear of because they've
configured all their printers to only work with their own brand of
cartridge, and have installed computer chips in each cartridge to
enforce this.

Thanks in advance.

- Dana

Harper Hill
July 4th 03, 05:19 PM
(dnrg) writes:

>[...]
>Apparently Epson is the brand to steer clear of because they've
>configured all their printers to only work with their own brand of
>cartridge, and have installed computer chips in each cartridge to
>enforce this.

Lexmark is the same - all of their ink cartridges are chipped. They recently
sued some outfit for copyright infringement (under the DMCA) and forced them
to quit selling "clone" ink cartridges for Lexmark printers.

--
When you don't know where you're going, every road will take you there.
Harp

Harper Hill
July 4th 03, 05:19 PM
(dnrg) writes:

>[...]
>Apparently Epson is the brand to steer clear of because they've
>configured all their printers to only work with their own brand of
>cartridge, and have installed computer chips in each cartridge to
>enforce this.

Lexmark is the same - all of their ink cartridges are chipped. They recently
sued some outfit for copyright infringement (under the DMCA) and forced them
to quit selling "clone" ink cartridges for Lexmark printers.

--
When you don't know where you're going, every road will take you there.
Harp

July 4th 03, 05:22 PM
>Apparently Epson is the brand to steer
> clear of because they've configured all
> their printers to only work with their own
> brand of cartridge

Not true. I have an Epson, and purchase generic cartridges for it.
They work perfectly.

Diva

July 4th 03, 05:22 PM
>Apparently Epson is the brand to steer
> clear of because they've configured all
> their printers to only work with their own
> brand of cartridge

Not true. I have an Epson, and purchase generic cartridges for it.
They work perfectly.

Diva

Don K
July 4th 03, 05:41 PM
"Harper Hill" > wrote in message
fn.de...
> (dnrg) writes:
>
> >[...]
> >Apparently Epson is the brand to steer clear of because they've
> >configured all their printers to only work with their own brand of
> >cartridge, and have installed computer chips in each cartridge to
> >enforce this.
>
> Lexmark is the same - all of their ink cartridges are chipped. They
recently
> sued some outfit for copyright infringement (under the DMCA) and forced
them
> to quit selling "clone" ink cartridges for Lexmark printers.

I guess their argument is to control the quality of the ink formulation
so it doesn't clog up the print nozzles. Color ink jet printers is another
thing where I am constantly amazed that the technology works at all.

Don

Don K
July 4th 03, 05:41 PM
"Harper Hill" > wrote in message
fn.de...
> (dnrg) writes:
>
> >[...]
> >Apparently Epson is the brand to steer clear of because they've
> >configured all their printers to only work with their own brand of
> >cartridge, and have installed computer chips in each cartridge to
> >enforce this.
>
> Lexmark is the same - all of their ink cartridges are chipped. They
recently
> sued some outfit for copyright infringement (under the DMCA) and forced
them
> to quit selling "clone" ink cartridges for Lexmark printers.

I guess their argument is to control the quality of the ink formulation
so it doesn't clog up the print nozzles. Color ink jet printers is another
thing where I am constantly amazed that the technology works at all.

Don

George
July 4th 03, 06:49 PM
"Patricia" > wrote in message

> >> Apparently Epson is the brand to steer
> >> clear of because they've configured all
> >> their printers to only work with their own
> >> brand of cartridge
> >
> > Not true. I have an Epson, and purchase generic cartridges for it.
> > They work perfectly.
> >
> > Diva
> =======
>
> Ditto....
>
> I buy generic and they work fine on my Epson Stylus 800.
>
> Patricia
> ==========

But the poster was interested in a new printer. The Stylus 800 is at least a
2~3 year old design. Unfortunately I think the 900 series was probably the
last "chipless cartridge" Epson printer.

George
July 4th 03, 06:49 PM
"Patricia" > wrote in message

> >> Apparently Epson is the brand to steer
> >> clear of because they've configured all
> >> their printers to only work with their own
> >> brand of cartridge
> >
> > Not true. I have an Epson, and purchase generic cartridges for it.
> > They work perfectly.
> >
> > Diva
> =======
>
> Ditto....
>
> I buy generic and they work fine on my Epson Stylus 800.
>
> Patricia
> ==========

But the poster was interested in a new printer. The Stylus 800 is at least a
2~3 year old design. Unfortunately I think the 900 series was probably the
last "chipless cartridge" Epson printer.

Patricia
July 4th 03, 07:29 PM
> From: "George" >

> But the poster was interested in a new printer. The Stylus 800 is at least a
> 2~3 year old design. Unfortunately I think the 900 series was probably the
> last "chipless cartridge" Epson printer.
=====

Thanks, George. I must have missed that he was shopping for a new
printer...reading too quickly, I guess.

.. You're right my printer is at least 3 years old and reliable as ever.

Patricia
Just trying to help...

Patricia
July 4th 03, 07:29 PM
> From: "George" >

> But the poster was interested in a new printer. The Stylus 800 is at least a
> 2~3 year old design. Unfortunately I think the 900 series was probably the
> last "chipless cartridge" Epson printer.
=====

Thanks, George. I must have missed that he was shopping for a new
printer...reading too quickly, I guess.

.. You're right my printer is at least 3 years old and reliable as ever.

Patricia
Just trying to help...

Harper Hill
July 4th 03, 09:10 PM
"Don K" > writes:

>I guess their argument is to control the quality of the ink formulation
>so it doesn't clog up the print nozzles.

That's their argument, but profit seems to be the real reason. According to
the BBC, some ink cartridges cost over seven times more than Dom Perignon.
See http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3035500.stm

Another story at http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/28653.html
mentions that the European Union outlawed chipped cartridges last year.

--

"Don K" > writes:

>I guess their argument is to control the quality of the ink formulation
>so it doesn't clog up the print nozzles.

That's their argument, but profit seems to be the real reason. According to
the BBC, some ink cartridges cost over seven times more than Dom Perignon.
See http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3035500.stm

Another story at http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/28653.html
mentions that the European Union outlawed chipped cartridges last year.

--
When you don't know where you're going, every road will take you there.
Harp

Don K
July 4th 03, 09:30 PM
"Harper Hill" > wrote in message
fn.de...
> "Don K" > writes:
>
> >I guess their argument is to control the quality of the ink formulation
> >so it doesn't clog up the print nozzles.
>
> That's their argument, but profit seems to be the real reason. According
> the BBC, some ink cartridges cost over seven times more than Dom Perignon.
> See http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3035500.stm

But the color inks print much better than Dom Perignon, which
tends to be washed out and runny.

Don

Don K
July 4th 03, 09:30 PM
"Harper Hill" > wrote in message
fn.de...
> "Don K" > writes:
>
> >I guess their argument is to control the quality of the ink formulation
> >so it doesn't clog up the print nozzles.
>
> That's their argument, but profit seems to be the real reason. According
> the BBC, some ink cartridges cost over seven times more than Dom Perignon.
> See http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3035500.stm

But the color inks print much better than Dom Perignon, which
tends to be washed out and runny.

Don

Tsu Dho Poster
July 4th 03, 11:42 PM
"Bob Ward" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 15:10:05 -0400, Harper Hill
> > wrote:
>
> >"Don K" > writes:
> >
> >>I guess their argument is to control the quality of the ink formulation
> >>so it doesn't clog up the print nozzles.
> >
> >That's their argument, but profit seems to be the real reason. According
> >the BBC, some ink cartridges cost over seven times more than Dom
Perignon.
> >See http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3035500.stm
> >
> >Another story at http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/28653.html
> >mentions that the European Union outlawed chipped cartridges last year.
>

> I'll bet you dollars to donuts that if you bought a magnum of printer
> ink, it would cost considerably less than the Dom Perignon.

True., but ppl don't buy "magnums" of ink. If you bought enuf carts of ink
to equal one magnum, it'd cost much more than champagne. My Epson would
require about 60 carts to equal one mag. 60x $28= $1,680.00

Tsu Dho Poster
July 4th 03, 11:42 PM
"Bob Ward" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 15:10:05 -0400, Harper Hill
> > wrote:
>
> >"Don K" > writes:
> >
> >>I guess their argument is to control the quality of the ink formulation
> >>so it doesn't clog up the print nozzles.
> >
> >That's their argument, but profit seems to be the real reason. According
> >the BBC, some ink cartridges cost over seven times more than Dom
Perignon.
> >See http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3035500.stm
> >
> >Another story at http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/28653.html
> >mentions that the European Union outlawed chipped cartridges last year.
>

> I'll bet you dollars to donuts that if you bought a magnum of printer
> ink, it would cost considerably less than the Dom Perignon.

True., but ppl don't buy "magnums" of ink. If you bought enuf carts of ink
to equal one magnum, it'd cost much more than champagne. My Epson would
require about 60 carts to equal one mag. 60x $28= $1,680.00

Bob Ward
July 5th 03, 08:01 AM
On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 17:42:35 -0400, "Tsu Dho Poster"
> wrote:

>"Bob Ward" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 15:10:05 -0400, Harper Hill
>> > wrote:

>> >That's their argument, but profit seems to be the real reason. According
>> >the BBC, some ink cartridges cost over seven times more than Dom
>Perignon.
>> >See http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3035500.stm
>> >
>> >Another story at http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/28653.html
>> >mentions that the European Union outlawed chipped cartridges last year.
>>

>> I'll bet you dollars to donuts that if you bought a magnum of printer
>> ink, it would cost considerably less than the Dom Perignon.
>>
>True., but ppl don't buy "magnums" of ink. If you bought enuf carts of ink
>to equal one magnum, it'd cost much more than champagne. My Epson would
>require about 60 carts to equal one mag. 60x $28= $1,680.00

That's sort of the point - people don't buy milliliters of champagne,
either. You CAN, however, buy the ink WITHOUT the cartridges, which
is considerably cheaper.

For example, http://www.misterinkjet.com/hp-c6578-51645-cartridge.htm
will sell you a gallon of black ink for $86.95, or four gallons,
black, yellow, cyan, and magenta, for $281.80.

How much would four gallons of Dom set you back?

Bob Ward
July 5th 03, 08:01 AM
On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 17:42:35 -0400, "Tsu Dho Poster"
> wrote:

>"Bob Ward" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 15:10:05 -0400, Harper Hill
>> > wrote:

>> >That's their argument, but profit seems to be the real reason. According
>> >the BBC, some ink cartridges cost over seven times more than Dom
>Perignon.
>> >See http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3035500.stm
>> >
>> >Another story at http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/28653.html
>> >mentions that the European Union outlawed chipped cartridges last year.
>>

>> I'll bet you dollars to donuts that if you bought a magnum of printer
>> ink, it would cost considerably less than the Dom Perignon.
>>
>True., but ppl don't buy "magnums" of ink. If you bought enuf carts of ink
>to equal one magnum, it'd cost much more than champagne. My Epson would
>require about 60 carts to equal one mag. 60x $28= $1,680.00

That's sort of the point - people don't buy milliliters of champagne,
either. You CAN, however, buy the ink WITHOUT the cartridges, which
is considerably cheaper.

For example, http://www.misterinkjet.com/hp-c6578-51645-cartridge.htm
will sell you a gallon of black ink for $86.95, or four gallons,
black, yellow, cyan, and magenta, for $281.80.

How much would four gallons of Dom set you back?

SoCalMike
July 5th 03, 09:49 AM
"Tsu Dho Poster" > wrote in message

> "dnrg" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Can any of these out on the market today be used with reinking kits?
> >
> > I actually use an old HP DeskJet 500 for b&w printing and it seems
> > pretty economical; though I'm wondering if this one will accept
> > reinking cartridges as well.
> >
> > Mostly, I want to have the scanner capability and the ability to color
> > print to t-shirt transfers so I suppose it wouldn't be the end of the
> > world if I couldn't find a 3-in-1 that wouldn't work with a reinking
> > kit. Apparently Epson is the brand to steer clear of because they've
> > configured all their printers to only work with their own brand of
> > cartridge, and have installed computer chips in each cartridge to
> > enforce this.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
>
> Some of the ink supply sites sell the chip resetters. They should have a
> list of all models requiring chip-resetting. Simply avoid those if you
don't
> want to invest $30 in the resetter.

unfortunately, they dont have a lexmark resetter available AFAIK. so ive got
2 refilled cartriges sitting here that still read "ink level low" and wont
print. ive refilled and printed before, so i dunno what gives. they just
wont reset this time around. even reinstalled the software.

SoCalMike
July 5th 03, 09:49 AM
"Tsu Dho Poster" > wrote in message

> "dnrg" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Can any of these out on the market today be used with reinking kits?
> >
> > I actually use an old HP DeskJet 500 for b&w printing and it seems
> > pretty economical; though I'm wondering if this one will accept
> > reinking cartridges as well.
> >
> > Mostly, I want to have the scanner capability and the ability to color
> > print to t-shirt transfers so I suppose it wouldn't be the end of the
> > world if I couldn't find a 3-in-1 that wouldn't work with a reinking
> > kit. Apparently Epson is the brand to steer clear of because they've
> > configured all their printers to only work with their own brand of
> > cartridge, and have installed computer chips in each cartridge to
> > enforce this.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
>
> Some of the ink supply sites sell the chip resetters. They should have a
> list of all models requiring chip-resetting. Simply avoid those if you
don't
> want to invest $30 in the resetter.

unfortunately, they dont have a lexmark resetter available AFAIK. so ive got
2 refilled cartriges sitting here that still read "ink level low" and wont
print. ive refilled and printed before, so i dunno what gives. they just
wont reset this time around. even reinstalled the software.

Tsu Dho Poster
July 5th 03, 06:09 PM
"Bob Ward" > wrote in message news:erpcgvgp90mlv
> On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 17:42:35 -0400, "Tsu Dho Poster"
> > wrote:
>

> >"Bob Ward" > wrote in message
> >> On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 15:10:05 -0400, Harper Hill

According
> >Perignon.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/28653.html

> >> I'll bet you dollars to donuts that if you bought a magnum of printer
> >> ink, it would cost considerably less than the Dom Perignon.
> >>
> >True., but ppl don't buy "magnums" of ink. If you bought enuf carts of
ink
> >to equal one magnum, it'd cost much more than champagne. My Epson would
> >require about 60 carts to equal one mag. 60x $28= $1,680.00
> >

> That's sort of the point - people don't buy milliliters of champagne,
> either. You CAN, however, buy the ink WITHOUT the cartridges, which
> is considerably cheaper.
>
> For example, http://www.misterinkjet.com/hp-c6578-51645-cartridge.htm
> will sell you a gallon of black ink for $86.95, or four gallons,
> black, yellow, cyan, and magenta, for $281.80.
>
> How much would four gallons of Dom set you back?

LOL
Darn,,,,doesn't come in tiny milliliter bottles!

You didn't specify which vintage.
The cheap '95 would be $1,050.00 not counting shipping, for 4 gallons. The
better stuff, '88 Rose, would be $2,439.00 roughly.

Tsu Dho Poster
July 5th 03, 06:09 PM
"Bob Ward" > wrote in message news:erpcgvgp90mlv
> On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 17:42:35 -0400, "Tsu Dho Poster"
> > wrote:
>

> >"Bob Ward" > wrote in message
> >> On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 15:10:05 -0400, Harper Hill

According
> >Perignon.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/28653.html

> >> I'll bet you dollars to donuts that if you bought a magnum of printer
> >> ink, it would cost considerably less than the Dom Perignon.
> >>
> >True., but ppl don't buy "magnums" of ink. If you bought enuf carts of
ink
> >to equal one magnum, it'd cost much more than champagne. My Epson would
> >require about 60 carts to equal one mag. 60x $28= $1,680.00
> >

> That's sort of the point - people don't buy milliliters of champagne,
> either. You CAN, however, buy the ink WITHOUT the cartridges, which
> is considerably cheaper.
>
> For example, http://www.misterinkjet.com/hp-c6578-51645-cartridge.htm
> will sell you a gallon of black ink for $86.95, or four gallons,
> black, yellow, cyan, and magenta, for $281.80.
>
> How much would four gallons of Dom set you back?

LOL
Darn,,,,doesn't come in tiny milliliter bottles!

You didn't specify which vintage.
The cheap '95 would be $1,050.00 not counting shipping, for 4 gallons. The
better stuff, '88 Rose, would be $2,439.00 roughly.

Karen Wheless
July 8th 03, 01:02 AM
> But the poster was interested in a new printer. The Stylus 800 is at least a
> 2~3 year old design. Unfortunately I think the 900 series was probably the
> last "chipless cartridge" Epson printer.

There were a couple after that (I can't remember the numbers but I know
a couple of people who bought generic-compatible Epsons a couple of
years ago) but it's become more and more difficult.

My 900 is having problems and I will probably have to replace it soon -
I really like using generic cartridges (compared to refilling, which has
always given me very poor results) but I don't know if I will be able to
find one. And finding a 3-in-1 that's compatible is even more
difficult.

Karen

Books for Sale!
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze234sc/pages/booksforsale.html

Karen Wheless
July 8th 03, 01:02 AM
> But the poster was interested in a new printer. The Stylus 800 is at least a
> 2~3 year old design. Unfortunately I think the 900 series was probably the
> last "chipless cartridge" Epson printer.

There were a couple after that (I can't remember the numbers but I know
a couple of people who bought generic-compatible Epsons a couple of
years ago) but it's become more and more difficult.

My 900 is having problems and I will probably have to replace it soon -
I really like using generic cartridges (compared to refilling, which has
always given me very poor results) but I don't know if I will be able to
find one. And finding a 3-in-1 that's compatible is even more
difficult.

Karen

Books for Sale!
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze234sc/pages/booksforsale.html