PDA

View Full Version : frugal fireworks

kenji
July 4th 03, 10:38 PM
I'm thinking about constructing pipebombs and using scraps from the
garage and spillings from old shotgun shells.

Any other ideas?

Dennis
July 5th 03, 02:31 AM
On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 15:38:26 -0500, kenji >
wrote:

>Any other ideas?

Get an oxygen-acetylene torch and use it to fill balloons with mixed
gas. They make a satisfying BOOM when lit, with no shrapnel. If you
get ambitious and work you way up to plastic garbage bags (for that
nuclear blast effect), be sure to put a little water in the bag first
to kill the static electricity. (I offer this last suggestion from
experience. :-)

the Dennis formerly known as (evil)

Dennis > wrote:

>be sure to put a little water in the bag first
>to kill the static electricity. (I offer this last suggestion from
>experience. :-)

I sometimes wonder what happened to your first wife...

July 5th 03, 02:48 AM
Dennis > wrote:

>be sure to put a little water in the bag first
>to kill the static electricity. (I offer this last suggestion from
>experience. :-)

I sometimes wonder what happened to your first wife...

July 5th 03, 07:21 AM
>be sure to put a little water in the bag
> first to kill the static electricity. (I offer
> this last suggestion from experience. :-)

>I sometimes wonder what happened to
> your first wife...

Or your last three cats... :)

Diva

July 5th 03, 07:21 AM
>be sure to put a little water in the bag
> first to kill the static electricity. (I offer
> this last suggestion from experience. :-)

>I sometimes wonder what happened to
> your first wife...

Or your last three cats... :)

Diva

George
July 5th 03, 02:53 PM
"Dennis" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 15:38:26 -0500, kenji >
> wrote:
>
> >Any other ideas?
>
> Get an oxygen-acetylene torch and use it to fill balloons with mixed
> gas. They make a satisfying BOOM when lit, with no shrapnel. If you
> get ambitious and work you way up to plastic garbage bags (for that
> nuclear blast effect), be sure to put a little water in the bag first
> to kill the static electricity. (I offer this last suggestion from
> experience. :-)
>
> the Dennis formerly known as (evil)
> --
> "There is a fine line between participation and mockery" - Wally

You can achieve an enhanced effect if you use 2 balloons. I was at a party
yesterday and one friend who is a chemist also tinkers. For one of his
displays he hooked 2 thinwall garbage bags together. He filled one with
oxygen-acetylene and then added helium to the other until the combination
was buoyant. He then lit the fuse on the first bag and released them. Nice
big boom/flash and no shrapnel.

George
July 5th 03, 02:53 PM
"Dennis" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 15:38:26 -0500, kenji >
> wrote:
>
> >Any other ideas?
>
> Get an oxygen-acetylene torch and use it to fill balloons with mixed
> gas. They make a satisfying BOOM when lit, with no shrapnel. If you
> get ambitious and work you way up to plastic garbage bags (for that
> nuclear blast effect), be sure to put a little water in the bag first
> to kill the static electricity. (I offer this last suggestion from
> experience. :-)
>
> the Dennis formerly known as (evil)
> --
> "There is a fine line between participation and mockery" - Wally

You can achieve an enhanced effect if you use 2 balloons. I was at a party
yesterday and one friend who is a chemist also tinkers. For one of his
displays he hooked 2 thinwall garbage bags together. He filled one with
oxygen-acetylene and then added helium to the other until the combination
was buoyant. He then lit the fuse on the first bag and released them. Nice
big boom/flash and no shrapnel.

Dennis
July 5th 03, 06:26 PM
On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 00:48:09 GMT, wrote:

>Dennis > wrote:
>
>>be sure to put a little water in the bag first
>>to kill the static electricity. (I offer this last suggestion from
>>experience. :-)
>
>I sometimes wonder what happened to your first wife...

She blowed up reel gud.

the Dennis formerly known as (evil)

Dennis
July 5th 03, 06:26 PM
On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 00:48:09 GMT, wrote:

>Dennis > wrote:
>
>>be sure to put a little water in the bag first
>>to kill the static electricity. (I offer this last suggestion from
>>experience. :-)
>
>I sometimes wonder what happened to your first wife...

She blowed up reel gud.

the Dennis formerly known as (evil)

Dennis
July 5th 03, 06:54 PM
On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 12:53:53 GMT, "George" >
wrote:

>"Dennis" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 15:38:26 -0500, kenji >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Any other ideas?
>>
>> Get an oxygen-acetylene torch and use it to fill balloons with mixed
>> gas. They make a satisfying BOOM when lit, with no shrapnel. If you
>> get ambitious and work you way up to plastic garbage bags (for that
>> nuclear blast effect), be sure to put a little water in the bag first
>> to kill the static electricity. (I offer this last suggestion from
>> experience. :-)
>>

>You can achieve an enhanced effect if you use 2 balloons. I was at a party
>yesterday and one friend who is a chemist also tinkers. For one of his
>displays he hooked 2 thinwall garbage bags together. He filled one with
>oxygen-acetylene and then added helium to the other until the combination
>was buoyant. He then lit the fuse on the first bag and released them. Nice
>big boom/flash and no shrapnel.

Yes, an overhead burst is more impressive than one on the ground. We
didn't have any helium, so we tied the bags to a long pole and stood
it up for a similar effect. A line of balloons taped up the length of
the pole, leading to the big finale made an extended braaaap-KABOOM
effect. Shortly after that one, we got a call from the sheriff -- a
neighbor had complained and he thought that we should probably quit
setting off dynamite for the night. (Of course these days, black-clad
ninjas from the BATFE would swoop down, shoot us, and burn our house
to the ground.)

Another tip for the frugal backyard bomber: trails of lighter fluid
or black powder work OK as fuses, but we came up with a reusable
high-tech solution: take a couple of nails and pound them part way
into a block of wood about 3 inches apart. Strip the end of an old
extension cord and wrap each wire around a nail. Put a length of
small gauge wire between the nails -- when the cord is plugged in (or
attached to the terminals of a car battery) the thin wire will
instantly melt and ignite the balloons.

BTW, all of this is entirely humorous conjecture and was never
actually performed 25 years ago during my misspent youth (yeah, that's
the ticket), is no doubt both illegal and immoral, will probably give
you cold sores and rot your teeth, and is too dangerous for any human
being to even consider ever doing. It should be used as reference
only. Don't try any of these suggestions at home.

wrote:

>"Dennis" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 15:38:26 -0500, kenji >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Any other ideas?
>>
>> Get an oxygen-acetylene torch and use it to fill balloons with mixed
>> gas. They make a satisfying BOOM when lit, with no shrapnel. If you
>> get ambitious and work you way up to plastic garbage bags (for that
>> nuclear blast effect), be sure to put a little water in the bag first
>> to kill the static electricity. (I offer this last suggestion from
>> experience. :-)
>>

>You can achieve an enhanced effect if you use 2 balloons. I was at a party
>yesterday and one friend who is a chemist also tinkers. For one of his
>displays he hooked 2 thinwall garbage bags together. He filled one with
>oxygen-acetylene and then added helium to the other until the combination
>was buoyant. He then lit the fuse on the first bag and released them. Nice
>big boom/flash and no shrapnel.

Yes, an overhead burst is more impressive than one on the ground. We
didn't have any helium, so we tied the bags to a long pole and stood
it up for a similar effect. A line of balloons taped up the length of
the pole, leading to the big finale made an extended braaaap-KABOOM
effect. Shortly after that one, we got a call from the sheriff -- a
neighbor had complained and he thought that we should probably quit
setting off dynamite for the night. (Of course these days, black-clad
ninjas from the BATFE would swoop down, shoot us, and burn our house
to the ground.)

Another tip for the frugal backyard bomber: trails of lighter fluid
or black powder work OK as fuses, but we came up with a reusable
high-tech solution: take a couple of nails and pound them part way
into a block of wood about 3 inches apart. Strip the end of an old
extension cord and wrap each wire around a nail. Put a length of
small gauge wire between the nails -- when the cord is plugged in (or
attached to the terminals of a car battery) the thin wire will
instantly melt and ignite the balloons.

BTW, all of this is entirely humorous conjecture and was never
actually performed 25 years ago during my misspent youth (yeah, that's
the ticket), is no doubt both illegal and immoral, will probably give
you cold sores and rot your teeth, and is too dangerous for any human
being to even consider ever doing. It should be used as reference
only. Don't try any of these suggestions at home.

the Dennis formerly known as (evil)

Joe
July 7th 03, 01:56 PM
I really didn't need to hear this... More fun ideas I can never actually
implement. :(

Regards,
Joe - VROC #8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com - 973.571.1456 24/7

Ask me about "The Ride" on July 26: http://www.youthelate.com/the_ride.htm

$0.03 bargain: http://tinyurl.com/9sz6

"Dennis" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 15:38:26 -0500, kenji >
> wrote:
>
> >Any other ideas?
>
> Get an oxygen-acetylene torch and use it to fill balloons with mixed
> gas. They make a satisfying BOOM when lit, with no shrapnel. If you
> get ambitious and work you way up to plastic garbage bags (for that
> nuclear blast effect), be sure to put a little water in the bag first
> to kill the static electricity. (I offer this last suggestion from
> experience. :-)
>
> the Dennis formerly known as (evil)
> --
> "There is a fine line between participation and mockery" - Wally

Joe
July 7th 03, 01:58 PM
3 litre soda bottles and dry ice work better with no fire...

Just stand WAY back and have lots of time on your hands between booms...

Regards,
Joe - VROC #8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com - 973.571.1456 24/7

Ask me about "The Ride" on July 26: http://www.youthelate.com/the_ride.htm

$0.03 bargain: http://tinyurl.com/9sz6

"kenji" > wrote in message
]...
> I'm thinking about constructing pipebombs and using scraps from the
> garage and spillings from old shotgun shells.
>
> Any other ideas?

Joe
July 7th 03, 01:58 PM
3 litre soda bottles and dry ice work better with no fire...

Just stand WAY back and have lots of time on your hands between booms...

Regards,
Joe - VROC #8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com - 973.571.1456 24/7

Ask me about "The Ride" on July 26: http://www.youthelate.com/the_ride.htm

$0.03 bargain: http://tinyurl.com/9sz6

"kenji" > wrote in message
]...
> I'm thinking about constructing pipebombs and using scraps from the
> garage and spillings from old shotgun shells.
>
> Any other ideas?

Don K
July 9th 03, 03:05 AM
"Don Klipstein" > wrote in message
> In article >, myname wrote:
>
> On the other hand, you can definitely buy and use all sorts of fireworks
> legally in Virginia and I think also the District of Columbia.

Any fireworks that explode or travel 12 feet in the air or higher are
illegal in Virginia.
http://www.winchesterstar.com/TheWinchesterStar/020629/Area_display.asp

Aside from sparklers and fountains, most things require a permit
in Virginia and Washington DC.
http://www.usfireworks.biz/legal/va.htm
http://www.usfireworks.biz/legal/dc.htm

Don

Don K
July 9th 03, 03:05 AM
"Don Klipstein" > wrote in message
> In article >, myname wrote:
>
> On the other hand, you can definitely buy and use all sorts of fireworks
> legally in Virginia and I think also the District of Columbia.

Any fireworks that explode or travel 12 feet in the air or higher are
illegal in Virginia.
http://www.winchesterstar.com/TheWinchesterStar/020629/Area_display.asp

Aside from sparklers and fountains, most things require a permit
in Virginia and Washington DC.
http://www.usfireworks.biz/legal/va.htm
http://www.usfireworks.biz/legal/dc.htm

Don

Gary Heston
July 9th 03, 04:35 AM
In article >,
Don Klipstein > wrote:
>In article >, myname wrote:

>>If you live near an indian reservation, you can generally buy
>>fireworks there. Otherwise, go buy the crappy sparklers that are
>>probably all that are legal in whatever state you live in.

> Laws vary considerably from state to state. [ ... ]

As well as county-to-county and city-to city.

The city I live in has banned everything, including sparklers. (Not
that anyone pays attention to the ban; when I drove home from work
Friday evening, the residential area was full of pops, bangs, whooshes,
whistles, and clouds of smoke.) However, there are a wide variety of
fireworks that are legal in the county--with the result that there is
at least one large fireworks stand just outside the city limits on
each road of any size.

I need to check and see what the requirements are for a permit to do a
decent aerial show (a few dozen 4" shells, a dozen sixes, and a few eights
for the finale shouldn't be too expensive...).

Gary

--
Gary Heston
PHB: "That's the sort of leadership that will turn this company around."

Gary Heston
July 9th 03, 04:35 AM
In article >,
Don Klipstein > wrote:
>In article >, myname wrote:

>>If you live near an indian reservation, you can generally buy
>>fireworks there. Otherwise, go buy the crappy sparklers that are
>>probably all that are legal in whatever state you live in.

> Laws vary considerably from state to state. [ ... ]

As well as county-to-county and city-to city.

The city I live in has banned everything, including sparklers. (Not
that anyone pays attention to the ban; when I drove home from work
Friday evening, the residential area was full of pops, bangs, whooshes,
whistles, and clouds of smoke.) However, there are a wide variety of
fireworks that are legal in the county--with the result that there is
at least one large fireworks stand just outside the city limits on
each road of any size.

I need to check and see what the requirements are for a permit to do a
decent aerial show (a few dozen 4" shells, a dozen sixes, and a few eights
for the finale shouldn't be too expensive...).

Gary

--
Gary Heston
PHB: "That's the sort of leadership that will turn this company around."
Wally: "Were we doing well?"
Dilbert, 5/23/3

Google