PDA

View Full Version : mailing homemade candy

Wendy
July 5th 03, 07:07 AM
Anyone have any tips on safely mailing candy? Should I just forget
about sending chocolate during the summer?
--

"The thing about homebodies is that they can usually be found at
home." -- Laurie Colwin, _Home Cooking_

Sue
July 5th 03, 08:39 PM
>From: Wendy

>Should I just forget
>about sending chocolate during the summer?

I would. I once sent a package in late October even,
and it arrived all melted.

FWIW, Amy Dacyzyn (Tightwad Gazette editor a/k/a The Frugal
Zealot) once mentioned that she thought she'd save all kinds of
money making food gifts and shipping them to the out-of-town
recipients, but, in the long run, it cost MORE.

Gift Certificates to Godiva's or See's are as good as gold.
They might lack the personal touch, but they're savings
in the long run. And I've yet to meet a disappointed
gift recipient. ;-)

Sue
July 5th 03, 08:39 PM
>From: Wendy

>Should I just forget
>about sending chocolate during the summer?

I would. I once sent a package in late October even,
and it arrived all melted.

FWIW, Amy Dacyzyn (Tightwad Gazette editor a/k/a The Frugal
Zealot) once mentioned that she thought she'd save all kinds of
money making food gifts and shipping them to the out-of-town
recipients, but, in the long run, it cost MORE.

Gift Certificates to Godiva's or See's are as good as gold.
They might lack the personal touch, but they're savings
in the long run. And I've yet to meet a disappointed
gift recipient. ;-)

July 6th 03, 01:51 AM
>FWIW, Amy Dacyzyn (Tightwad Gazette
> editor a/k/a The Frugal Zealot) once
> mentioned that she thought she'd save
> all kinds of money making food gifts and
> shipping them to the out-of-town
> recipients, but, in the long run, it cost
> MORE.

Yes, I remember her mentioning that. It had to do with the cost of
shipping inexpensive but heavy homemade goodies like jars of homemade
jam, etc. Sometimes buying a gift certificate, as someone else
mentioned, or a gift that's more lightweight than the homemade things,
can end up being less expensive, not to mention easier to mail - no
packing up a big box to ship.

A few gifts that are small, lightweight and easy to mail:

CDs/cassettes
Earrings or other jewelry
Package of pretty blank note cards
Nice pen
Fancy bookmarks
Paperback book
Small picture frame
DVDs or videotapes
Computer software (games, etc.)
Magazine subscription (send current issue w/note)
T-shirt (can fit into a large manila envelope)
Cute holiday-themed socks
Envelope or two of fancy bath salts
Mini photo album
Nice blank book/journal

Of course, sometimes the sentimental value of those homemade treats
outweighs the cost of shipping, and if you think your friend/relative
would really appreciate that jam you made, then it's probably worth
every penny! YMMV.

Diva

July 6th 03, 01:51 AM
>FWIW, Amy Dacyzyn (Tightwad Gazette
> editor a/k/a The Frugal Zealot) once
> mentioned that she thought she'd save
> all kinds of money making food gifts and
> shipping them to the out-of-town
> recipients, but, in the long run, it cost
> MORE.

Yes, I remember her mentioning that. It had to do with the cost of
shipping inexpensive but heavy homemade goodies like jars of homemade
jam, etc. Sometimes buying a gift certificate, as someone else
mentioned, or a gift that's more lightweight than the homemade things,
can end up being less expensive, not to mention easier to mail - no
packing up a big box to ship.

A few gifts that are small, lightweight and easy to mail:

CDs/cassettes
Earrings or other jewelry
Package of pretty blank note cards
Nice pen
Fancy bookmarks
Paperback book
Small picture frame
DVDs or videotapes
Computer software (games, etc.)
Magazine subscription (send current issue w/note)
T-shirt (can fit into a large manila envelope)
Cute holiday-themed socks
Envelope or two of fancy bath salts
Mini photo album
Nice blank book/journal

Of course, sometimes the sentimental value of those homemade treats
outweighs the cost of shipping, and if you think your friend/relative
would really appreciate that jam you made, then it's probably worth
every penny! YMMV.

Diva

Wendy
July 6th 03, 09:42 PM
In article >,
Sue > wrote:
>FWIW, Amy Dacyzyn (Tightwad Gazette editor a/k/a The Frugal
>Zealot) once mentioned that she thought she'd save all kinds of
>money making food gifts and shipping them to the out-of-town
>recipients, but, in the long run, it cost MORE.
>
>Gift Certificates to Godiva's or See's are as good as gold.
>They might lack the personal touch, but they're savings
>in the long run. And I've yet to meet a disappointed
>gift recipient. ;-)

I'd actually reached the conclusion that homemade gifts were often
more trouble/money than they were worth some time ago. But I did promise
homemade candy in this case - and I can't believe it won't be cheaper
than Godiva's!
--

Sue > wrote:
>FWIW, Amy Dacyzyn (Tightwad Gazette editor a/k/a The Frugal
>Zealot) once mentioned that she thought she'd save all kinds of
>money making food gifts and shipping them to the out-of-town
>recipients, but, in the long run, it cost MORE.
>
>Gift Certificates to Godiva's or See's are as good as gold.
>They might lack the personal touch, but they're savings
>in the long run. And I've yet to meet a disappointed
>gift recipient. ;-)

I'd actually reached the conclusion that homemade gifts were often
more trouble/money than they were worth some time ago. But I did promise
homemade candy in this case - and I can't believe it won't be cheaper
than Godiva's!
--

"The thing about homebodies is that they can usually be found at
home." -- Laurie Colwin, _Home Cooking_

Karen Wheless
July 8th 03, 01:02 AM
> FWIW, Amy Dacyzyn (Tightwad Gazette editor a/k/a The Frugal
> Zealot) once mentioned that she thought she'd save all kinds of
> money making food gifts and shipping them to the out-of-town
> recipients, but, in the long run, it cost MORE.

It depends on what it is. I made this mistake one year when I was
sending Christmas gifts - shipping cost more than the gifts. However,
now I pay more attention to what things weigh. Cookies can be cost
effective and not too heavy to ship. I haven't found too many
store-bought gifts that cost under $5 and don't seem "cheap". (Not many
people appreciate getting a $3 gift certificate.) But I can make up a
small batch of cookies and ship them for about that price, as long as I
package them as lightly as possible.

Karen

Books for Sale!
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze234sc/pages/booksforsale.html

Karen Wheless
July 8th 03, 01:02 AM
> FWIW, Amy Dacyzyn (Tightwad Gazette editor a/k/a The Frugal
> Zealot) once mentioned that she thought she'd save all kinds of
> money making food gifts and shipping them to the out-of-town
> recipients, but, in the long run, it cost MORE.

It depends on what it is. I made this mistake one year when I was
sending Christmas gifts - shipping cost more than the gifts. However,
now I pay more attention to what things weigh. Cookies can be cost
effective and not too heavy to ship. I haven't found too many
store-bought gifts that cost under $5 and don't seem "cheap". (Not many
people appreciate getting a $3 gift certificate.) But I can make up a
small batch of cookies and ship them for about that price, as long as I
package them as lightly as possible.

Karen

Books for Sale!
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze234sc/pages/booksforsale.html