PDA

View Full Version : 4th of July sales

July 5th 03, 09:23 AM
Traditionally I take dd school clothes shopping over the 4th because
there are really good sales. (we live in Fl so summer styles can be worn
year round) We were in a mall in another city that has a DIsney Store.
DD loves Tinkerbell so we went in to look around. Wow what a clearance
sale they have! I got all sorts of holiday and birthday gifts for
neices/nephews. Good quality clothing with disney characters were $2.99
for shirts and pants. Toys were marked 50-75% and not just the junk!
This was name brand stuff the kids always pine away for. Decent size
stuffed animals from Disney movies were had for $5. THe princess
collection 5" size dolls were either $1.50 individually or $4.50 for
sets with furniture and clothes. Got my 4 y/o godson a nice Buzz light
year outfit and Buzz toy for a total of $11 including the tax. If you
live near a Disney store and have young children to buy for, head on
over before the holiday weekend ends. You won't be disappointed.

Don't you just love when great bargains come along? :)

Don K
July 5th 03, 02:34 PM
> wrote in message
> Traditionally I take dd school clothes shopping over the 4th because
> there are really good sales. (we live in Fl so summer styles can be worn
> year round) We were in a mall in another city that has a DIsney Store.
> DD loves Tinkerbell so we went in to look around. Wow what a clearance
> sale they have! I got all sorts of holiday and birthday gifts for
> neices/nephews. Good quality clothing with disney characters were $2.99
> for shirts and pants. Toys were marked 50-75% and not just the junk!
> This was name brand stuff the kids always pine away for. Decent size
> stuffed animals from Disney movies were had for $5. THe princess
> collection 5" size dolls were either $1.50 individually or $4.50 for
> sets with furniture and clothes. Got my 4 y/o godson a nice Buzz light
> year outfit and Buzz toy for a total of $11 including the tax. If you
> live near a Disney store and have young children to buy for, head on
> over before the holiday weekend ends. You won't be disappointed.
>
> Don't you just love when great bargains come along? :)

The trouble is, the bargains are all in your head. These things have
very little intrinsic value. It's all hype.

If you buy something months in advance for a 4 y/o, you run the risk
that it will be yesterday's fad by the time he gets it. But hey, it's
Disney, and what a great opportunity to train little kids to be
brand-conscious consumers.

Don

Don K
July 5th 03, 02:34 PM
> wrote in message
> Traditionally I take dd school clothes shopping over the 4th because
> there are really good sales. (we live in Fl so summer styles can be worn
> year round) We were in a mall in another city that has a DIsney Store.
> DD loves Tinkerbell so we went in to look around. Wow what a clearance
> sale they have! I got all sorts of holiday and birthday gifts for
> neices/nephews. Good quality clothing with disney characters were $2.99
> for shirts and pants. Toys were marked 50-75% and not just the junk!
> This was name brand stuff the kids always pine away for. Decent size
> stuffed animals from Disney movies were had for $5. THe princess
> collection 5" size dolls were either $1.50 individually or $4.50 for
> sets with furniture and clothes. Got my 4 y/o godson a nice Buzz light
> year outfit and Buzz toy for a total of $11 including the tax. If you
> live near a Disney store and have young children to buy for, head on
> over before the holiday weekend ends. You won't be disappointed.
>
> Don't you just love when great bargains come along? :)

The trouble is, the bargains are all in your head. These things have
very little intrinsic value. It's all hype.

If you buy something months in advance for a 4 y/o, you run the risk
that it will be yesterday's fad by the time he gets it. But hey, it's
Disney, and what a great opportunity to train little kids to be
brand-conscious consumers.

Don

July 5th 03, 06:53 PM
Guess I just know how to shop because I "don't sell my soul to the
devil" buying useless crap. I'm not in a bad financial situation
because I am a wise shopper who takes advantage of good sales and
doesn't waste my money. I think ahead and don't just buy the size the
child wears today, but, somewhat bigger to accomodate the growth that
will happen in 6 months down the road.

As for falling prey to advertising, that is definitely not me. We are
not name brand people and don't need everything we see on tv or in ads
to be happy. Never saw this Disney sale on a commercial, just wondered
into the store to window shop the tinkerbell items and found this great
sale.

It is still my opinion that well made children's clothes for $2.99 with
the added benefit of a having a popular Disney character on them is a
great bargain for those who want to give quality gifts at rock bottom
prices. Also when I have a chance to buy the popular toys for the kids
at pennies on the dollar I figure why not let them have what the other
kids have. It makes them happy and I've saved a ton. I like to share
good bargain info with others.

Being frugal isn't always about deprevation and desperation. For me
it's about saving money in one area to enjoy something I like such as
(frugal) travel or to save for my kid's college and my retirement while
also having time to spend with my family, not just working to pay off my
consumer debt. (Of which I have almost 0).
I do feel sorry for those who can't handle their expenses and have to
keep up with the Joneses to be happy.

[...]

Gregory Morrow

> Traditionally I take dd school clothes shopping over the 4th because
> there are really good sales. (we live in Fl so summer styles can be worn
> year round) We were in a mall in another city that has a DIsney Store.
> DD loves Tinkerbell so we went in to look around. Wow what a clearance
> sale they have! I got all sorts of holiday and birthday gifts for
> neices/nephews. Good quality clothing with disney characters were $2.99
> for shirts and pants. Toys were marked 50-75% and not just the junk!
> This was name brand stuff the kids always pine away for. Decent size
> stuffed animals from Disney movies were had for $5. THe princess
> collection 5" size dolls were either $1.50 individually or $4.50 for
> sets with furniture and clothes. Got my 4 y/o godson a nice Buzz light
> year outfit and Buzz toy for a total of $11 including the tax. If you
> live near a Disney store and have young children to buy for, head on
> over before the holiday weekend ends. You won't be disappointed.
>
> Don't you just love when great bargains come along? :)

These things are junk at *any* price.....

--
Best
Greg

Gregory Morrow

> Traditionally I take dd school clothes shopping over the 4th because
> there are really good sales. (we live in Fl so summer styles can be worn
> year round) We were in a mall in another city that has a DIsney Store.
> DD loves Tinkerbell so we went in to look around. Wow what a clearance
> sale they have! I got all sorts of holiday and birthday gifts for
> neices/nephews. Good quality clothing with disney characters were $2.99
> for shirts and pants. Toys were marked 50-75% and not just the junk!
> This was name brand stuff the kids always pine away for. Decent size
> stuffed animals from Disney movies were had for $5. THe princess
> collection 5" size dolls were either $1.50 individually or $4.50 for
> sets with furniture and clothes. Got my 4 y/o godson a nice Buzz light
> year outfit and Buzz toy for a total of $11 including the tax. If you
> live near a Disney store and have young children to buy for, head on
> over before the holiday weekend ends. You won't be disappointed.
>
> Don't you just love when great bargains come along? :)

These things are junk at *any* price.....

--
Best
Greg

July 7th 03, 09:42 PM
After reading the posts I just have to ask Don K, Luna, and Gregory
what do you give the children in your lives for gifts and what clothes
prices do you consider good buys for them? I don't understand where
you are coming from because I still consider popular toys and well made
clothes at $2.99-$5 great bargains. What am I missing here?

July 7th 03, 09:42 PM
After reading the posts I just have to ask Don K, Luna, and Gregory
what do you give the children in your lives for gifts and what clothes
prices do you consider good buys for them? I don't understand where
you are coming from because I still consider popular toys and well made
clothes at $2.99-$5 great bargains. What am I missing here?

Google