PDA

View Full Version : remove odor from used recliner?

Ablang
July 5th 03, 03:16 PM
I just bought a used recliner yesterday. It has the 'scent' of someone who's
used it for a while. I poured baking soda all over it yesterday to hopefully
remove the smell.

What else can I do to alleviate the smell?

-- "I'm 30 years too young to date Anna Nicole Smith, and I'm 30 years too old
to date Demi Moore."
Arnold Schwarzanegger, referring to being 55 years old

Don K
July 5th 03, 03:22 PM
"Ablang" > wrote in message
> I just bought a used recliner yesterday. It has the 'scent' of someone
who's
> used it for a while. I poured baking soda all over it yesterday to
hopefully
> remove the smell.
>
> What else can I do to alleviate the smell?

Fabreze.

Don

Don K
July 5th 03, 03:22 PM
"Ablang" > wrote in message
> I just bought a used recliner yesterday. It has the 'scent' of someone
who's
> used it for a while. I poured baking soda all over it yesterday to
hopefully
> remove the smell.
>
> What else can I do to alleviate the smell?

Fabreze.

Don

Patricia
July 5th 03, 03:42 PM
> From: (Ablang)

> I just bought a used recliner yesterday. It has the 'scent' of someone who's
> used it for a while. I poured baking soda all over it yesterday to hopefully
> remove the smell.
>
> What else can I do to alleviate the smell?
===

Fabreeze works well on fabrics, carpets and in clearing cooking smells......

You might try tucking a few dryer sheets down the sides for a while...this
helps too.

Got this from a friend with multiple cats...she swears it's the cure.

Patricia

Patricia
July 5th 03, 03:42 PM
> From: (Ablang)

> I just bought a used recliner yesterday. It has the 'scent' of someone who's
> used it for a while. I poured baking soda all over it yesterday to hopefully
> remove the smell.
>
> What else can I do to alleviate the smell?
===

Fabreeze works well on fabrics, carpets and in clearing cooking smells......

You might try tucking a few dryer sheets down the sides for a while...this
helps too.

Got this from a friend with multiple cats...she swears it's the cure.

Patricia

Sewmaster
July 5th 03, 04:06 PM
Ablang wrote:

> I just bought a used recliner yesterday. It has the 'scent' of someone who's
> used it for a while. I poured baking soda all over it yesterday to hopefully
> remove the smell.
>
> What else can I do to alleviate the smell?

I use extra-strength Febreeze. Works quite well.

Sewmaster

Sewmaster
July 5th 03, 04:06 PM
Ablang wrote:

> I just bought a used recliner yesterday. It has the 'scent' of someone who's
> used it for a while. I poured baking soda all over it yesterday to hopefully
> remove the smell.
>
> What else can I do to alleviate the smell?

I use extra-strength Febreeze. Works quite well.

Sewmaster

Edgar S.
July 5th 03, 07:26 PM
(Ablang) wrote in message >...
> I just bought a used recliner yesterday. It has the 'scent' of someone who's
> used it for a while. I poured baking soda all over it yesterday to hopefully
> remove the smell.
>
> What else can I do to alleviate the smell?

Baking soda is good... I also like the Febreeze idea. I'd want to
slip cover it tho so my family wouldn't be rolling around in someone
else's spoo.

Edgar S.
July 5th 03, 07:26 PM
(Ablang) wrote in message >...
> I just bought a used recliner yesterday. It has the 'scent' of someone who's
> used it for a while. I poured baking soda all over it yesterday to hopefully
> remove the smell.
>
> What else can I do to alleviate the smell?

Baking soda is good... I also like the Febreeze idea. I'd want to
slip cover it tho so my family wouldn't be rolling around in someone
else's spoo.

Joyce
July 5th 03, 07:52 PM
On 5 Jul 2003 10:26:19 -0700, (Edgar S.) wrote:

(Ablang) wrote in message >...
>> I just bought a used recliner yesterday. It has the 'scent' of someone who's
>> used it for a while. I poured baking soda all over it yesterday to hopefully
>> remove the smell.
>>
>> What else can I do to alleviate the smell?
>
>Baking soda is good... I also like the Febreeze idea. I'd want to
>slip cover it tho so my family wouldn't be rolling around in someone
>else's spoo.

Oh, my God, Terri. I think you're right!

Joyce

(Ablang) wrote in message >...
>> I just bought a used recliner yesterday. It has the 'scent' of someone who's
>> used it for a while. I poured baking soda all over it yesterday to hopefully
>> remove the smell.
>>
>> What else can I do to alleviate the smell?
>
>Baking soda is good... I also like the Febreeze idea. I'd want to
>slip cover it tho so my family wouldn't be rolling around in someone
>else's spoo.

Oh, my God, Terri. I think you're right!

Joyce

Gina M. Greco-Emrich
July 5th 03, 08:57 PM
try Simple Solution or Nature's Miracle--read the directions and try as
steam iron for a heat source. Works very well.

Best,

Gina

***JavaCats Maine Coon Cats***

Gina M. Greco-Emrich
July 5th 03, 08:57 PM
try Simple Solution or Nature's Miracle--read the directions and try as
steam iron for a heat source. Works very well.

Best,

Gina

***JavaCats Maine Coon Cats***

Victor Smith
July 5th 03, 10:55 PM

(Ablang) wrote in message >...
>>> I just bought a used recliner yesterday. It has the 'scent' of someone who's
>>> used it for a while. I poured baking soda all over it yesterday to hopefully
>>> remove the smell.
>>>
>>> What else can I do to alleviate the smell?
>>
>>Baking soda is good... I also like the Febreeze idea. I'd want to
>>slip cover it tho so my family wouldn't be rolling around in someone
>>else's spoo.

We just took a recliner into the garage, with plans to put it in the
yard on sunny days, and whack it with rug-beater now and then.
Wife's idea. She tried a few things to get the smell out of it,
including shampoo.
It's a good quality cloth-covered recliner, and a big dog has been
sleeping on it for 5 years, since it was new. A canine type dog.
I want to just throw it away, or see if the navy is willing to tow it
behind a destroyer for a month or two as an experiment.

--Vic

(Ablang) wrote in message >...
>>> I just bought a used recliner yesterday. It has the 'scent' of someone who's
>>> used it for a while. I poured baking soda all over it yesterday to hopefully
>>> remove the smell.
>>>
>>> What else can I do to alleviate the smell?
>>
>>Baking soda is good... I also like the Febreeze idea. I'd want to
>>slip cover it tho so my family wouldn't be rolling around in someone
>>else's spoo.

We just took a recliner into the garage, with plans to put it in the
yard on sunny days, and whack it with rug-beater now and then.
Wife's idea. She tried a few things to get the smell out of it,
including shampoo.
It's a good quality cloth-covered recliner, and a big dog has been
sleeping on it for 5 years, since it was new. A canine type dog.
I want to just throw it away, or see if the navy is willing to tow it
behind a destroyer for a month or two as an experiment.

--Vic

Ablang
July 7th 03, 04:12 AM
how to make homemade Fabreeze
------
Here a couple solutions:

2 C. fabric softener
2 C. baking soda
4 C. warm water

1 cup water
1 cup vodka

Mix and store in spray bottle. Use like store-bought Febreeze.

By CADMS

-- BB: "It puts the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again."
Guess the movie where the quote came from

Ablang
July 7th 03, 04:12 AM
how to make homemade Fabreeze
------
Here a couple solutions:

2 C. fabric softener
2 C. baking soda
4 C. warm water

1 cup water
1 cup vodka

Mix and store in spray bottle. Use like store-bought Febreeze.

By CADMS

-- BB: "It puts the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again."
Guess the movie where the quote came from

Bev
July 7th 03, 04:42 AM
>-- BB: "It puts the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again."
>Guess the movie where the quote came from

Red Dragon, or Manhunter

Remove the "SpamFree" for email, please.
Join us in the Diabetic-Talk Chatroom on UnderNet
/server irc.undernet.org --- /join #Diabetic-Talk
More info: http://www.diabetic-talk.org/

Bev
July 7th 03, 04:42 AM
>-- BB: "It puts the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again."
>Guess the movie where the quote came from

Red Dragon, or Manhunter

Remove the "SpamFree" for email, please.
Join us in the Diabetic-Talk Chatroom on UnderNet
/server irc.undernet.org --- /join #Diabetic-Talk
More info: http://www.diabetic-talk.org/

Ned Flanders
July 7th 03, 06:46 AM
(Ablang) wrote in message >...
> how to make homemade Fabreeze
> ------
> Here a couple solutions:
>
> 2 C. fabric softener
> 2 C. baking soda
> 4 C. warm water
>

> 1 cup water
> 1 cup vodka
>

> Mix and store in spray bottle. Use like store-bought Febreeze.
>
> By CADMS
>
> -- BB: "It puts the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again."
> Guess the movie where the quote came from

The Silence of the Lambs

Cheers,

Ned

Ned Flanders
July 7th 03, 06:46 AM
(Ablang) wrote in message >...
> how to make homemade Fabreeze
> ------
> Here a couple solutions:
>
> 2 C. fabric softener
> 2 C. baking soda
> 4 C. warm water
>

> 1 cup water
> 1 cup vodka
>

> Mix and store in spray bottle. Use like store-bought Febreeze.
>
> By CADMS
>
> -- BB: "It puts the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again."
> Guess the movie where the quote came from

The Silence of the Lambs

Cheers,

Ned

July 7th 03, 04:21 PM
>2 C. fabric softener
>2 C. baking soda
>4 C. warm water

I've seen this Febreeze recipe too, but I've read some complaints that
the baking soda tends to clog the spray bottle. Plus I'm wondering if
it would leave a white residue when it dries?

Others have suggested just the fabric softener and water without the
baking soda. Would that be as effective?

Diva

July 7th 03, 04:21 PM
>2 C. fabric softener
>2 C. baking soda
>4 C. warm water

I've seen this Febreeze recipe too, but I've read some complaints that
the baking soda tends to clog the spray bottle. Plus I'm wondering if
it would leave a white residue when it dries?

Others have suggested just the fabric softener and water without the
baking soda. Would that be as effective?

Diva

shelly
July 7th 03, 06:55 PM
In ,
Joyce > typed:

> Oh, my God, Terri. I think you're right!

oh yeah, it's *definitely* Her. she's been posting to her
other regular haunts as "Edgar" for about a year now. it
doesn't take her long to show her true colors, though, so
she's pretty easy to spot.

hi, 'Laney! <*smooches*>

shelly
http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette

shelly
July 7th 03, 06:55 PM
In ,
Joyce > typed:

> Oh, my God, Terri. I think you're right!

oh yeah, it's *definitely* Her. she's been posting to her
other regular haunts as "Edgar" for about a year now. it
doesn't take her long to show her true colors, though, so
she's pretty easy to spot.

hi, 'Laney! <*smooches*>

shelly
http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette

Joyce
July 7th 03, 07:10 PM
On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 11:55:19 -0500, "shelly"
> wrote:

>In ,
>Joyce > typed:
>
>> Oh, my God, Terri. I think you're right!
>
>oh yeah, it's *definitely* Her. she's been posting to her
>other regular haunts as "Edgar" for about a year now. it
>doesn't take her long to show her true colors, though, so
>she's pretty easy to spot.
>
>hi, 'Laney! <*smooches*>
>
>shelly
>http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette

I wasn't too sure at first when she was just being the world currency
expert; I was suspicious when she was the cat **** maven - -
but the slipcover on the stinky furniture did it for me!

Joyce

Joyce
July 7th 03, 07:10 PM
On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 11:55:19 -0500, "shelly"
> wrote:

>In ,
>Joyce > typed:
>
>> Oh, my God, Terri. I think you're right!
>
>oh yeah, it's *definitely* Her. she's been posting to her
>other regular haunts as "Edgar" for about a year now. it
>doesn't take her long to show her true colors, though, so
>she's pretty easy to spot.
>
>hi, 'Laney! <*smooches*>
>
>shelly
>http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette

I wasn't too sure at first when she was just being the world currency
expert; I was suspicious when she was the cat **** maven - -
but the slipcover on the stinky furniture did it for me!

Joyce

shelly
July 7th 03, 07:23 PM
"Joyce" > wrote in message

> I wasn't too sure at first when she was just being the world
currency
> expert; I was suspicious when she was the cat **** maven - -
> but the slipcover on the stinky furniture did it for me!

she's like a broken reacord, our li'l 'Laney, isn't she? i
know her best from the dog newsgroups. when she showed back
up from her Y2K hiatus as "Edgar," it was obvious she was
baaaaack. i guess it was sorta like her transformation from
Elaine Gallegos to Elaine Gallant, only this time i guess she
got a sex change to go with the name change.

"Joyce" > wrote in message

> I wasn't too sure at first when she was just being the world
currency
> expert; I was suspicious when she was the cat **** maven - -
> but the slipcover on the stinky furniture did it for me!

she's like a broken reacord, our li'l 'Laney, isn't she? i
know her best from the dog newsgroups. when she showed back
up from her Y2K hiatus as "Edgar," it was obvious she was
baaaaack. i guess it was sorta like her transformation from
Elaine Gallegos to Elaine Gallant, only this time i guess she
got a sex change to go with the name change.

shelly
http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette

Joyce
July 7th 03, 07:30 PM
On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 12:23:43 -0500, "shelly"
> wrote:

>she's like a broken reacord, our li'l 'Laney, isn't she? i
>know her best from the dog newsgroups. when she showed back
>up from her Y2K hiatus as "Edgar," it was obvious she was
>baaaaack. i guess it was sorta like her transformation from
>Elaine Gallegos to Elaine Gallant, only this time i guess she
>got a sex change to go with the name change.
>
>shelly
>http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette

Ah, yes, the dog group ......her answer to every problem was to kill
the dog. Is my memory failing or wasn't there something about using
duct tape to tape its muzzle and legs before you shoot it? Or was
that to ax your chicken?

Joyce

Joyce
July 7th 03, 07:30 PM
On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 12:23:43 -0500, "shelly"
> wrote:

>she's like a broken reacord, our li'l 'Laney, isn't she? i
>know her best from the dog newsgroups. when she showed back
>up from her Y2K hiatus as "Edgar," it was obvious she was
>baaaaack. i guess it was sorta like her transformation from
>Elaine Gallegos to Elaine Gallant, only this time i guess she
>got a sex change to go with the name change.
>
>shelly
>http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette

Ah, yes, the dog group ......her answer to every problem was to kill
the dog. Is my memory failing or wasn't there something about using
duct tape to tape its muzzle and legs before you shoot it? Or was
that to ax your chicken?

Joyce

Google