PDA

View Full Version : Cooked shrimp refreeze?

Wishy13764
July 5th 03, 08:12 PM
I bought shrimps that were cooked and frozen. When i picked it up, it was in a
bed of ice. Now, on the package it says that it shouldn't be refrozen, and yet
it was in a bed of ice. Wouldn't that freeze them again?

dogsnus
July 5th 03, 08:37 PM
(Wishy13764) wrote in
:

> I bought shrimps that were cooked and frozen. When i picked it up, it was
> in a bed of ice. Now, on the package it says that it shouldn't be
> refrozen, and yet it was in a bed of ice. Wouldn't that freeze them
> again?

No, it should just keep them fresh/cool enough so they don't get
soggy before you cook them. Which, btw, should be done asap.
As in, as soon as you get them home.
Try rec.food.cooking to find verification on this.
I've had good shrimp. And, bad shrimp. Most bad is because
they weren't fresh enough and also, because they were overcooked.
Soggy fishy tastings messes.

I gave up buying seafood in Idaho. It's all too old and most
places around here simply cannot prepare it well to entince
me to buy it on the menu.

Terri

dogsnus
July 5th 03, 08:37 PM
(Wishy13764) wrote in
:

> I bought shrimps that were cooked and frozen. When i picked it up, it was
> in a bed of ice. Now, on the package it says that it shouldn't be
> refrozen, and yet it was in a bed of ice. Wouldn't that freeze them
> again?

No, it should just keep them fresh/cool enough so they don't get
soggy before you cook them. Which, btw, should be done asap.
As in, as soon as you get them home.
Try rec.food.cooking to find verification on this.
I've had good shrimp. And, bad shrimp. Most bad is because
they weren't fresh enough and also, because they were overcooked.
Soggy fishy tastings messes.

I gave up buying seafood in Idaho. It's all too old and most
places around here simply cannot prepare it well to entince
me to buy it on the menu.

Terri

dogsnus
July 6th 03, 03:35 PM
Pat Meadows > wrote in
:

snip

Pat, you wouldn't believe the good tasting fish and shrimp
we had last year when we were in New Orleans.
It's to die for.
And, being a west coast ocean rat I have to say that yes,
there IS a difference in taste between Pacific and Gulf
coast shrimp! And crab. And_ catfish! And, oysters.
Oh my!

Terri

dogsnus
July 6th 03, 03:35 PM
Pat Meadows > wrote in
:

snip

Pat, you wouldn't believe the good tasting fish and shrimp
we had last year when we were in New Orleans.
It's to die for.
And, being a west coast ocean rat I have to say that yes,
there IS a difference in taste between Pacific and Gulf
coast shrimp! And crab. And_ catfish! And, oysters.
Oh my!

Terri

July 6th 03, 04:26 PM
>And, being a west coast ocean rat I have
> to say that yes, there IS a difference in
> taste between Pacific and Gulf coast
> shrimp! And crab. And_ catfish! And,
> oysters. Oh my!

Terri, I'm a west-coaster too, a couple of hours inland from the ocean,
and I'll never forget how much I looked forward as a kid to our trips to
the coast where we'd pick up a couple of pint jars of oysters, and when
we got home, mom got out the deep fryer and made fried oysters and
french fries. *sigh* It just doesn't get much better than that.

Now, I don't do them raw, but give me a plate of those crispy fried
oysters, or a bowl of creamy, briny oyster stew with a big handful of
crushed saltine crackers... and I'm in heaven!

Diva

July 6th 03, 04:26 PM
>And, being a west coast ocean rat I have
> to say that yes, there IS a difference in
> taste between Pacific and Gulf coast
> shrimp! And crab. And_ catfish! And,
> oysters. Oh my!

Terri, I'm a west-coaster too, a couple of hours inland from the ocean,
and I'll never forget how much I looked forward as a kid to our trips to
the coast where we'd pick up a couple of pint jars of oysters, and when
we got home, mom got out the deep fryer and made fried oysters and
french fries. *sigh* It just doesn't get much better than that.

Now, I don't do them raw, but give me a plate of those crispy fried
oysters, or a bowl of creamy, briny oyster stew with a big handful of
crushed saltine crackers... and I'm in heaven!

Diva

Don K
July 6th 03, 04:40 PM
"dogsnus" > wrote in message
> Pat Meadows > wrote in
> :
>

> snip
>
> Pat, you wouldn't believe the good tasting fish and shrimp
> we had last year when we were in New Orleans.
> It's to die for.
> And, being a west coast ocean rat I have to say that yes,
> there IS a difference in taste between Pacific and Gulf
> coast shrimp! And crab. And_ catfish! And, oysters.
> Oh my!

To die for literally, if you happen to eat a batch of
raw or undercooked oysters infected with Vibrio
vulnificus bacteria.

Don

Don K
July 6th 03, 04:40 PM
"dogsnus" > wrote in message
> Pat Meadows > wrote in
> :
>

> snip
>
> Pat, you wouldn't believe the good tasting fish and shrimp
> we had last year when we were in New Orleans.
> It's to die for.
> And, being a west coast ocean rat I have to say that yes,
> there IS a difference in taste between Pacific and Gulf
> coast shrimp! And crab. And_ catfish! And, oysters.
> Oh my!

To die for literally, if you happen to eat a batch of
raw or undercooked oysters infected with Vibrio
vulnificus bacteria.

Don

Dennis
July 7th 03, 05:53 PM
On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 07:26:46 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

>Terri, I'm a west-coaster too, a couple of hours inland from the ocean,
>and I'll never forget how much I looked forward as a kid to our trips to
>the coast where we'd pick up a couple of pint jars of oysters, and when
>we got home, mom got out the deep fryer and made fried oysters and
>french fries. *sigh* It just doesn't get much better than that.
>
>Now, I don't do them raw, but give me a plate of those crispy fried
>oysters, or a bowl of creamy, briny oyster stew with a big handful of
>crushed saltine crackers... and I'm in heaven!

Mmmm... My favorite is to cook them in the shell on the BBQ. Open
them up, a dash of lemon and Tabasco -- heaven.

the Dennis formerly known as (evil)

Dennis
July 7th 03, 05:53 PM
On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 07:26:46 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

>Terri, I'm a west-coaster too, a couple of hours inland from the ocean,
>and I'll never forget how much I looked forward as a kid to our trips to
>the coast where we'd pick up a couple of pint jars of oysters, and when
>we got home, mom got out the deep fryer and made fried oysters and
>french fries. *sigh* It just doesn't get much better than that.
>
>Now, I don't do them raw, but give me a plate of those crispy fried
>oysters, or a bowl of creamy, briny oyster stew with a big handful of
>crushed saltine crackers... and I'm in heaven!

Mmmm... My favorite is to cook them in the shell on the BBQ. Open
them up, a dash of lemon and Tabasco -- heaven.

the Dennis formerly known as (evil)

Karen Wheless
July 7th 03, 10:24 PM
> I gave up buying seafood in Idaho. It's all too old

Flash frozen shrimp isn't bad. I get frozen shrimp from the grocery
store or Costco that comes from Asia - it's frozen as soon as it's
caught and if it remains frozen throughout, it still has fairly good
flavor and texture. The problem is that many grocery stores or
suppliers don't keep it completely frozen - it partically defrosts and
then refreezes and becomes horribly mushy. But I've found a couple of
brands that come out pretty well.

Fish is more difficult, I've found that most frozen fish doesn't have a
good flavor or texture after defrosting. I live close enough to the
water to get fairly fresh fish, but it's just too expensive.

Karen

Books for Sale!
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze234sc/pages/booksforsale.html

Karen Wheless
July 7th 03, 10:24 PM
> I gave up buying seafood in Idaho. It's all too old

Flash frozen shrimp isn't bad. I get frozen shrimp from the grocery
store or Costco that comes from Asia - it's frozen as soon as it's
caught and if it remains frozen throughout, it still has fairly good
flavor and texture. The problem is that many grocery stores or
suppliers don't keep it completely frozen - it partically defrosts and
then refreezes and becomes horribly mushy. But I've found a couple of
brands that come out pretty well.

Fish is more difficult, I've found that most frozen fish doesn't have a
good flavor or texture after defrosting. I live close enough to the
water to get fairly fresh fish, but it's just too expensive.

Karen

Books for Sale!
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze234sc/pages/booksforsale.html

The Real Bev
July 8th 03, 12:37 AM
Karen Wheless wrote:

> > I gave up buying seafood in Idaho. It's all too old
>
> Flash frozen shrimp isn't bad. I get frozen shrimp from the grocery
> store or Costco that comes from Asia - it's frozen as soon as it's
> caught and if it remains frozen throughout, it still has fairly good
> flavor and texture. The problem is that many grocery stores or
> suppliers don't keep it completely frozen - it partically defrosts and
> then refreezes and becomes horribly mushy. But I've found a couple of
> brands that come out pretty well.
>
> Fish is more difficult, I've found that most frozen fish doesn't have a
> good flavor or texture after defrosting. I live close enough to the
> water to get fairly fresh fish, but it's just too expensive.

My mom, who likes fish, recommends Costco's frozen bag o' mahi-mahi
fillets. I'm not a fish person, but it's OK.

--
Cheers,
Bev

The Real Bev
July 8th 03, 12:37 AM
Karen Wheless wrote:

> > I gave up buying seafood in Idaho. It's all too old
>
> Flash frozen shrimp isn't bad. I get frozen shrimp from the grocery
> store or Costco that comes from Asia - it's frozen as soon as it's
> caught and if it remains frozen throughout, it still has fairly good
> flavor and texture. The problem is that many grocery stores or
> suppliers don't keep it completely frozen - it partically defrosts and
> then refreezes and becomes horribly mushy. But I've found a couple of
> brands that come out pretty well.
>
> Fish is more difficult, I've found that most frozen fish doesn't have a
> good flavor or texture after defrosting. I live close enough to the
> water to get fairly fresh fish, but it's just too expensive.

My mom, who likes fish, recommends Costco's frozen bag o' mahi-mahi
fillets. I'm not a fish person, but it's OK.

--
Cheers,
Bev
"Nothing in the universe can withstand the relentless application
of brute force and ignorance." -- Frd, via Dennis (evil)

Fern5827
August 2nd 03, 08:29 PM
>The waiter later confessed
>that the clams were imported from China.

.....Hmmmm our jobs and our food, too.

During World War 2, on the East Coast the bounty from the ocean in terms of
scallops, clams, oysters, and crabs was incredible.

Around 1960, it seemed that pollution or red tide....or something decimated the
stocks.

Perhaps China, Malyasia and Thailand farm sea creatures in ways that may not be
permitted in the US.

Dunno but....cultivated salmon in the US (one of my favorites) are now colored
and supposedly are high in PCB's.

What can you eat? Grains, only?

Caveat posted:

>Subject: Re: Cooked shrimp refreeze?
>From: Caveat
>Date: 8/1/2003 11:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time
>
>On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 07:26:46 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
>
>>Terri, I'm a west-coaster too, a couple of hours inland from the ocean,
>>and I'll never forget how much I looked forward as a kid to our trips to
>>the coast where we'd pick up a couple of pint jars of oysters, and when
>>we got home, mom got out the deep fryer and made fried oysters and
>>french fries. *sigh* It just doesn't get much better than that.
>

>Excuse the tardy post, but at the time this thread was active, my wife
>and I were on the road searching the coastal towns on the Oregon and
>Washington State looking for fresh seafood -- especially fresh clams
>from local river estuaries (like the ones we found at the Essex River
>estuary on the Massachusetts coast many years ago).
>
>In Florence, Oregon (on the coast) we ordered "steamers" at one of
>the better seafood restaurants in the area. The waiter later confessed
>that the clams were imported from China.
>
>At Anacortes, Washington, we ate at the premier fresh seafood spot on
>the bay, only to later find that those steamers, too, were cooked,
>frozen, and shipped from... China.
>
>All this somehow struck us as emblematic of the times. Even on the
>coast, much of the seafood is either brought in frozen, usually from
>"farms" and often from elsewhere in the world.
>
>We could probably have found more fresh seafood at restaurants here in
>Phoenix.
>
>Mepps!
>

>Caveat

Ben Hutchings
August 5th 03, 12:27 AM
In article >, Fern5827 wrote:
>>The waiter later confessed
>>that the clams were imported from China.
>
> ....Hmmmm our jobs and our food, too.
>
> During World War 2, on the East Coast the bounty from the ocean in
> terms of scallops, clams, oysters, and crabs was incredible.
>
> Around 1960, it seemed that pollution or red tide....or something
> decimated the stocks.

Or simply overfishing. Apparently fish always stick together in large
shoals so while their population drops and drops the fishermen can
still find apparently huge stocks until eventually the population
collapses completely. Well, this is what happened to cod off
Newfoundland. It's happening in the North Sea (to the east of
Britain) now to cod, haddock and various other fish. Unfortunately
the fishing industry is in denial.

<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2580733.stm>

> Perhaps China, Malyasia and Thailand farm sea creatures in ways that
> may not be permitted in the US.

> Dunno but....cultivated salmon in the US (one of my favorites) are
> now colored and supposedly are high in PCB's.

Farmed salmon are kept in small cages where they are unable to swim,
so their muscles are poorly developed. As a result they are
relatively fatty and pale coloured unless they are dyed (usually via
their food). They also suffer from infections, as excreta falls from
cage to cage. (This can have a terrible effect on other fish and
shellfish nearby.)

> What can you eat? Grains, only?

It's tough to be an ethical consumer.

--
Ben Hutchings
Make three consecutive correct guesses and you will be considered an expert.

Google