PDA

View Full Version : insult or compliment?

val189
July 6th 03, 01:33 AM
I'm fairly sure it's happened to all of us frugal types. You let slip
some little habit of scrimping or saving, and the comment cum sneer
usually flies, "Gawd, you must still have your first dime..."

do you take this as a compliment or an insult?

do you have a favorite retort?

val

kenji
July 6th 03, 01:43 AM
In article >,
(val189) wrote:

> I'm fairly sure it's happened to all of us frugal types. You let slip
> some little habit of scrimping or saving, and the comment cum sneer
> usually flies, "Gawd, you must still have your first dime..."
>
> do you take this as a compliment or an insult?
>

> do you have a favorite retort?
>
> val

What's a cum sneer, other than a post-fellatio facial gesture?

kenji
July 6th 03, 01:43 AM
In article >,
(val189) wrote:

> I'm fairly sure it's happened to all of us frugal types. You let slip
> some little habit of scrimping or saving, and the comment cum sneer
> usually flies, "Gawd, you must still have your first dime..."
>
> do you take this as a compliment or an insult?
>

> do you have a favorite retort?
>
> val

What's a cum sneer, other than a post-fellatio facial gesture?

Nina
July 6th 03, 02:07 AM
"val189" > wrote in message
m...
> I'm fairly sure it's happened to all of us frugal types. You let slip
> some little habit of scrimping or saving, and the comment cum sneer
> usually flies, "Gawd, you must still have your first dime..."
>
> do you take this as a compliment or an insult?

Compliment.

> do you have a favorite retort?

Something like:
Yup, thats why I am 32 , have everything you have. no debt and have never
worked. You should try it sometime.

Nina
July 6th 03, 02:07 AM
"val189" > wrote in message
m...
> I'm fairly sure it's happened to all of us frugal types. You let slip
> some little habit of scrimping or saving, and the comment cum sneer
> usually flies, "Gawd, you must still have your first dime..."
>
> do you take this as a compliment or an insult?

Compliment.

> do you have a favorite retort?

Something like:
Yup, thats why I am 32 , have everything you have. no debt and have never
worked. You should try it sometime.

Nina
July 6th 03, 02:08 AM
"kenji" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> (val189) wrote:
>
> > I'm fairly sure it's happened to all of us frugal types. You let slip
> > some little habit of scrimping or saving, and the comment cum sneer
> What's a cum sneer, other than a post-fellatio facial gesture?

"cum" meaning "with", I assume.

Nina
July 6th 03, 02:08 AM
"kenji" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> (val189) wrote:
>
> > I'm fairly sure it's happened to all of us frugal types. You let slip
> > some little habit of scrimping or saving, and the comment cum sneer
> What's a cum sneer, other than a post-fellatio facial gesture?

"cum" meaning "with", I assume.

Halcitron
July 6th 03, 02:12 AM
>From: (val189)
>Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
>Date: 5 Jul 2003 16:33:09 -0700

>I'm fairly sure it's happened to all of us frugal types. You let slip
>some little habit of scrimping or saving, and the comment cum sneer
>usually flies, "Gawd, you must still have your first dime..."
>
>do you take this as a compliment or an insult?
>

>do you have a favorite retort?
>
>val

"You're smarter than you look."

:)

caveat lector

Halcitron misc.survivalism
Check your six and know when to duck.
NRA Member since 2002
The Law of the Land, is the weapon in your hand.

Smith & Wesson starts where the Bill of Rights stop.

Halcitron
July 6th 03, 02:12 AM
>From: (val189)
>Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
>Date: 5 Jul 2003 16:33:09 -0700

>I'm fairly sure it's happened to all of us frugal types. You let slip
>some little habit of scrimping or saving, and the comment cum sneer
>usually flies, "Gawd, you must still have your first dime..."
>
>do you take this as a compliment or an insult?
>

>do you have a favorite retort?
>
>val

"You're smarter than you look."

:)

caveat lector

Halcitron misc.survivalism
Check your six and know when to duck.
NRA Member since 2002
The Law of the Land, is the weapon in your hand.

Smith & Wesson starts where the Bill of Rights stop.

Sue

>val189

>You let slip
>some little habit of scrimping or saving, and the comment cum sneer
>usually flies, "Gawd, you must still have your first dime..."
>
>do you take this as a compliment or an insult?

Definitely compliment.

To quote King Oscar of Sweden (1829-1907), "I would rather
have ... people laugh at my economies than weep for my
extravagance."

The one that really amuses me though is when people refer
to my efforts as my "little coupons." The fact of the matter
is that I really DON'T use a lot of coupons, just those for
products I'd buy anyway, and most of my savings are in
the form of being honest with myself and recognizing
in advance whether I'd really use something or not... and
not blowing money on a whim.

I *LOVE* discussing money saving tips and such, but if'n
others aren't interested and prefer the way their living, then
I leave it alone. It's that proverbial leading the horse to water.
[shrug]

Purrrz,

Sue

Sue

>val189

>You let slip
>some little habit of scrimping or saving, and the comment cum sneer
>usually flies, "Gawd, you must still have your first dime..."
>
>do you take this as a compliment or an insult?

Definitely compliment.

To quote King Oscar of Sweden (1829-1907), "I would rather
have ... people laugh at my economies than weep for my
extravagance."

The one that really amuses me though is when people refer
to my efforts as my "little coupons." The fact of the matter
is that I really DON'T use a lot of coupons, just those for
products I'd buy anyway, and most of my savings are in
the form of being honest with myself and recognizing
in advance whether I'd really use something or not... and
not blowing money on a whim.

I *LOVE* discussing money saving tips and such, but if'n
others aren't interested and prefer the way their living, then
I leave it alone. It's that proverbial leading the horse to water.
[shrug]

Purrrz,

Sue

Chloe
July 6th 03, 03:25 AM
"val189" > wrote in message
m...
> I'm fairly sure it's happened to all of us frugal types. You let slip
> some little habit of scrimping or saving, and the comment cum sneer
> usually flies, "Gawd, you must still have your first dime..."
>
> do you take this as a compliment or an insult?
>

> do you have a favorite retort?
>
> val

Actually I've never had anyone say that to me, but my response--accompanied
by a grin--would be along the lines of "you say that like you think it's a
bad thing."

Chloe
July 6th 03, 03:25 AM
"val189" > wrote in message
m...
> I'm fairly sure it's happened to all of us frugal types. You let slip
> some little habit of scrimping or saving, and the comment cum sneer
> usually flies, "Gawd, you must still have your first dime..."
>
> do you take this as a compliment or an insult?
>

> do you have a favorite retort?
>
> val

Actually I've never had anyone say that to me, but my response--accompanied
by a grin--would be along the lines of "you say that like you think it's a
bad thing."

Bubbalicious
July 6th 03, 03:39 AM
(val189) wrote:

> "Gawd, you must still have your first dime..."
>
>do you take this as a compliment or an insult?

................"and I would pick up a penny in the parking lot at Walmart!"

Bubbalicious
July 6th 03, 03:39 AM
(val189) wrote:

> "Gawd, you must still have your first dime..."
>
>do you take this as a compliment or an insult?

................"and I would pick up a penny in the parking lot at Walmart!"

Sue
July 6th 03, 04:24 AM
>From: Bubbalicious

>..............."and I would pick up a penny in the parking lot at Walmart!"

YEA YOU!!!

I find dropped money everyday - and have for years -
and don't hesitate for a minute to pick it up. 1c here,
$25 there... it ALL adds up...

Purrrz,

Sue

Sue
July 6th 03, 04:24 AM
>From: Bubbalicious

>..............."and I would pick up a penny in the parking lot at Walmart!"

YEA YOU!!!

I find dropped money everyday - and have for years -
and don't hesitate for a minute to pick it up. 1c here,
$25 there... it ALL adds up...

Purrrz,

Sue

Dennis
July 6th 03, 04:38 AM
On 5 Jul 2003 16:33:09 -0700, (val189) wrote:

>I'm fairly sure it's happened to all of us frugal types. You let slip
>some little habit of scrimping or saving, and the comment cum sneer
>usually flies, "Gawd, you must still have your first dime..."
>
>do you take this as a compliment or an insult?
>

>do you have a favorite retort?

"And you madam, are ugly. However in the morning, I can spend money."

Or something like that...

the Dennis formerly known as (evil)

Dennis
July 6th 03, 04:38 AM
On 5 Jul 2003 16:33:09 -0700, (val189) wrote:

>I'm fairly sure it's happened to all of us frugal types. You let slip
>some little habit of scrimping or saving, and the comment cum sneer
>usually flies, "Gawd, you must still have your first dime..."
>
>do you take this as a compliment or an insult?
>

>do you have a favorite retort?

"And you madam, are ugly. However in the morning, I can spend money."

Or something like that...

the Dennis formerly known as (evil)

Sue Sorensen
July 6th 03, 05:07 AM
How about, "Yes, but now it's grown to $1."

"val189" > wrote in message
m...
> I'm fairly sure it's happened to all of us frugal types. You let slip
> some little habit of scrimping or saving, and the comment cum sneer
> usually flies, "Gawd, you must still have your first dime..."
>
> do you take this as a compliment or an insult?
>

> do you have a favorite retort?
>
> val

cc0112453
July 6th 03, 06:27 AM
The thing is to be so good at being frugal that they are jealous not
critical. I find that the guys at work who are typically very critical of
anything, seem to have a certain respect for my ability to get the best deal
and pinch a dime. It has actually caught on and others are trying to do the
same. They make fun of me for other things but not for being cheap because
I'm not cheap I just don't waste my money. There is a big difference.

cc0112453
July 6th 03, 06:27 AM
The thing is to be so good at being frugal that they are jealous not
critical. I find that the guys at work who are typically very critical of
anything, seem to have a certain respect for my ability to get the best deal
and pinch a dime. It has actually caught on and others are trying to do the
same. They make fun of me for other things but not for being cheap because
I'm not cheap I just don't waste my money. There is a big difference.

silvasurfa
July 6th 03, 05:12 PM
"val189" > wrote in message
m...
> I'm fairly sure it's happened to all of us frugal types. You let slip
> some little habit of scrimping or saving, and the comment cum sneer
> usually flies, "Gawd, you must still have your first dime..."
>
> do you take this as a compliment or an insult?
>

> do you have a favorite retort?
>
> val

I've never had anyone tell me that... amongst my real life friends my
extravagences are as famed as my frugalities.

However, I think suitable responses might be...

"Sure I've still got it. What did you spend your's on?"

"Yeah, I've still got it... and NO you can't have it!"

silvasurfa
July 6th 03, 05:12 PM
"val189" > wrote in message
m...
> I'm fairly sure it's happened to all of us frugal types. You let slip
> some little habit of scrimping or saving, and the comment cum sneer
> usually flies, "Gawd, you must still have your first dime..."
>
> do you take this as a compliment or an insult?
>

> do you have a favorite retort?
>
> val

I've never had anyone tell me that... amongst my real life friends my
extravagences are as famed as my frugalities.

However, I think suitable responses might be...

"Sure I've still got it. What did you spend your's on?"

"Yeah, I've still got it... and NO you can't have it!"

Tsu Dho Poster
July 6th 03, 07:22 PM
"Nina" > wrote in message
t...

> "val189" > wrote in message
> m...
> > I'm fairly sure it's happened to all of us frugal types. You let slip
> > some little habit of scrimping or saving, and the comment cum sneer
> > usually flies, "Gawd, you must still have your first dime..."
> >
> > do you take this as a compliment or an insult?
> > do you have a favorite retort?
>
> Yup, thats why I am 32 , have everything you have. no debt and have never
> worked.

The downside is....."Every port of refuge has it's price" :-)

Tsu Dho Poster
July 6th 03, 07:22 PM
"Nina" > wrote in message
t...

> "val189" > wrote in message
> m...
> > I'm fairly sure it's happened to all of us frugal types. You let slip
> > some little habit of scrimping or saving, and the comment cum sneer
> > usually flies, "Gawd, you must still have your first dime..."
> >
> > do you take this as a compliment or an insult?
> > do you have a favorite retort?
>
> Yup, thats why I am 32 , have everything you have. no debt and have never
> worked.

The downside is....."Every port of refuge has it's price" :-)

Tsu Dho Poster
July 6th 03, 07:29 PM
"Sue Sorensen" > wrote in message ne

> How about, "Yes, but now it's grown to $1."

lol..... good wun!
How about: "Yes, I have it....it's now part of my investment
portfolio."......where's yours??

Q: How many feminists does it take to screw in a light bulb?

A: Three. One to screw in the light bulb, while the other two
discuss the merits and Freudian implications of the violation
of the socket.

Tsu Dho Poster
July 6th 03, 07:29 PM
"Sue Sorensen" > wrote in message ne

> How about, "Yes, but now it's grown to $1."

lol..... good wun!
How about: "Yes, I have it....it's now part of my investment
portfolio."......where's yours??

Q: How many feminists does it take to screw in a light bulb?

A: Three. One to screw in the light bulb, while the other two
discuss the merits and Freudian implications of the violation
of the socket.

Edgar S.
July 6th 03, 11:04 PM
(val189) wrote in message >...
> I'm fairly sure it's happened to all of us frugal types. You let slip
> some little habit of scrimping or saving, and the comment cum sneer
> usually flies, "Gawd, you must still have your first dime..."
>
> do you take this as a compliment or an insult?

This is really a very good question because it's a clash of cultures.
The frugal-living lifestyle butting heads with Affluenza.

We are just now coming thru a bout of thinking second hand stuff is
"not as good" and buying second hand reflecting badly on a person.

In my own lifetime, it was considered horrifying to wear second hand
clothing, regardless of how clean it was. If a garment was pre-worn or
from a rumage shop, u weren't supposed to ever admit it.

> do you have a favorite retort?

Depends. Do you have a long term relationship with the person? Do
they mean the comment unkindly? Do they expect to have a long term
relationship with you?

> val

Edgar S.
July 6th 03, 11:04 PM
(val189) wrote in message >...
> I'm fairly sure it's happened to all of us frugal types. You let slip
> some little habit of scrimping or saving, and the comment cum sneer
> usually flies, "Gawd, you must still have your first dime..."
>
> do you take this as a compliment or an insult?

This is really a very good question because it's a clash of cultures.
The frugal-living lifestyle butting heads with Affluenza.

We are just now coming thru a bout of thinking second hand stuff is
"not as good" and buying second hand reflecting badly on a person.

In my own lifetime, it was considered horrifying to wear second hand
clothing, regardless of how clean it was. If a garment was pre-worn or
from a rumage shop, u weren't supposed to ever admit it.

> do you have a favorite retort?

Depends. Do you have a long term relationship with the person? Do
they mean the comment unkindly? Do they expect to have a long term
relationship with you?

> val

The Real Bev
July 6th 03, 11:31 PM
Gene Wirchenko wrote:

> (Sue) wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> >I find dropped money everyday - and have for years -
> >and don't hesitate for a minute to pick it up. 1c here,
> >$25 there... it ALL adds up...
>
> Pennies, etc.: oh yeah.

I won't get off my bike for less than a dime. I'll pick up pennies when
I'm walking, though. Everyone has standards.

> Then you can get really lucky. I found just over $300 once. I
> turned it over to the police. 90 days later, it had not been claimed,
> and it was mine. Another time, it was $80.

I found a $20 bill in the gutter once. Best find was two $20s in a bag I
bought for $1.25 at a church rummage sale.

> As well as money, it can be pens, paper clips, other little
> useful things.

An amazing number of sockets, mostly SAE rather than metric. I'm sure
this says something about the repairers of American vs Japanese cars, but
I'm not sure what. I also found a nearly-new Gerber tool.

> I found a cheap necklace once. Why anyone would make a necklace
> out of brass or whatever it was was beyond me, but it was pretty.
> Rather heavy, too, I thought. I tossed into my junk basket. Years
> later, my mom saw it. She recognised it for what it really was: 14K
> gold and a high-quality one.
>
> Optimists look to the sky. We find their dropped valuables.

Excellent! May I?

--
Cheers,
Bev

The Real Bev
July 6th 03, 11:31 PM
Gene Wirchenko wrote:

> (Sue) wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> >I find dropped money everyday - and have for years -
> >and don't hesitate for a minute to pick it up. 1c here,
> >$25 there... it ALL adds up...
>
> Pennies, etc.: oh yeah.

I won't get off my bike for less than a dime. I'll pick up pennies when
I'm walking, though. Everyone has standards.

> Then you can get really lucky. I found just over $300 once. I
> turned it over to the police. 90 days later, it had not been claimed,
> and it was mine. Another time, it was $80.

I found a $20 bill in the gutter once. Best find was two $20s in a bag I
bought for $1.25 at a church rummage sale.

> As well as money, it can be pens, paper clips, other little
> useful things.

An amazing number of sockets, mostly SAE rather than metric. I'm sure
this says something about the repairers of American vs Japanese cars, but
I'm not sure what. I also found a nearly-new Gerber tool.

> I found a cheap necklace once. Why anyone would make a necklace
> out of brass or whatever it was was beyond me, but it was pretty.
> Rather heavy, too, I thought. I tossed into my junk basket. Years
> later, my mom saw it. She recognised it for what it really was: 14K
> gold and a high-quality one.
>
> Optimists look to the sky. We find their dropped valuables.

Excellent! May I?

--
Cheers,
Bev
"Optimists look to the sky. We find their dropped valuables."
-- G. Wirchenko

The Real Bev
July 6th 03, 11:35 PM
lpogoda wrote:

> Pat Meadows wrote in message >...
> >On 5 Jul 2003 16:33:09 -0700,
> >(val189) wrote:
> >
> >>I'm fairly sure it's happened to all of us frugal types. You let slip
> >>some little habit of scrimping or saving, and the comment cum sneer
> >>usually flies, "Gawd, you must still have your first dime..."
> >>
> >>do you take this as a compliment or an insult?
> >
> >I'd take it as a compliment, although it hasn't - AAMOF -
> >happened to me, at least not that I can recall.
> >
> >>do you have a favorite retort?
> >
> >Well, yes. But it wouldn't be printable on a family-rated
> >newsgroup, and probably not wise to say very often either.
> >The second word is 'off'. :)
> >
> If you'd take it as a compliment, why oh why would you return it with a
> rudeness?

Because the intent was rudeness. Just because they missed the target it
doesn't mean that they didn't shoot the arrow. Anybody who knows me would
never make such a silly remark.

A state auditor once confided to me that she too was a yard sale addict,
but couldn't brag about her finds to her co-workers because she would lose
face. Real shame. I wonder if she overlooked a few problems because I
was such a good (albeit competitive) listener.

--
Cheers,
Bev

The Real Bev
July 6th 03, 11:35 PM
lpogoda wrote:

> Pat Meadows wrote in message >...
> >On 5 Jul 2003 16:33:09 -0700,
> >(val189) wrote:
> >
> >>I'm fairly sure it's happened to all of us frugal types. You let slip
> >>some little habit of scrimping or saving, and the comment cum sneer
> >>usually flies, "Gawd, you must still have your first dime..."
> >>
> >>do you take this as a compliment or an insult?
> >
> >I'd take it as a compliment, although it hasn't - AAMOF -
> >happened to me, at least not that I can recall.
> >
> >>do you have a favorite retort?
> >
> >Well, yes. But it wouldn't be printable on a family-rated
> >newsgroup, and probably not wise to say very often either.
> >The second word is 'off'. :)
> >
> If you'd take it as a compliment, why oh why would you return it with a
> rudeness?

Because the intent was rudeness. Just because they missed the target it
doesn't mean that they didn't shoot the arrow. Anybody who knows me would
never make such a silly remark.

A state auditor once confided to me that she too was a yard sale addict,
but couldn't brag about her finds to her co-workers because she would lose
face. Real shame. I wonder if she overlooked a few problems because I
was such a good (albeit competitive) listener.

--
Cheers,
Bev
"If you see me running, try to keep up."
...Back of bomb technician's shirt

Nina
July 7th 03, 12:45 AM
<Jason> wrote in message ...
> On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 00:07:36 GMT, "Nina" >
> wrote:
>

> >"val189" > wrote in message
> m...
> >> I'm fairly sure it's happened to all of us frugal types. You let slip
> >> some little habit of scrimping or saving, and the comment cum sneer
> >> usually flies, "Gawd, you must still have your first dime..."
> >>
> >> do you take this as a compliment or an insult?
> >
> >Compliment.
> >>

> >> do you have a favorite retort?
> >>
> >Something like:
> >Yup, thats why I am 32 , have everything you have. no debt and have never
> >worked. You should try it sometime.
> >
> Perhaps Val189 is a male. It would still be posiible but less likely
> and perhaps illegal.

True. Being female, most conversations I have of this nature are with other
females.
Perhaps a man can change it to being able to support a family on one income,
i dunno.

Nina
July 7th 03, 12:45 AM
<Jason> wrote in message ...
> On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 00:07:36 GMT, "Nina" >
> wrote:
>

> >"val189" > wrote in message
> m...
> >> I'm fairly sure it's happened to all of us frugal types. You let slip
> >> some little habit of scrimping or saving, and the comment cum sneer
> >> usually flies, "Gawd, you must still have your first dime..."
> >>
> >> do you take this as a compliment or an insult?
> >
> >Compliment.
> >>

> >> do you have a favorite retort?
> >>
> >Something like:
> >Yup, thats why I am 32 , have everything you have. no debt and have never
> >worked. You should try it sometime.
> >
> Perhaps Val189 is a male. It would still be posiible but less likely
> and perhaps illegal.

True. Being female, most conversations I have of this nature are with other
females.
Perhaps a man can change it to being able to support a family on one income,
i dunno.

Nina
July 7th 03, 12:49 AM
"Tsu Dho Poster" > wrote in message

> "Nina" > wrote in message
> t...
> >
> > "val189" > wrote in message
> > m...
> > > I'm fairly sure it's happened to all of us frugal types. You let slip
> > > some little habit of scrimping or saving, and the comment cum sneer
> > > usually flies, "Gawd, you must still have your first dime..."
> > >
> > > do you take this as a compliment or an insult?
> > > do you have a favorite retort?
> >
> > Yup, thats why I am 32 , have everything you have. no debt and have
never
> > worked.
>
> The downside is....."Every port of refuge has it's price" :-)

Most of those years I was unmarried, I learned while I was being a vagabond
how to survive on little money.. I know people who have never had a "real"
job and who make it. So I would change that from "never worked" to "never
worked for anyone".

Nina
July 7th 03, 12:49 AM
"Tsu Dho Poster" > wrote in message

> "Nina" > wrote in message
> t...
> >
> > "val189" > wrote in message
> > m...
> > > I'm fairly sure it's happened to all of us frugal types. You let slip
> > > some little habit of scrimping or saving, and the comment cum sneer
> > > usually flies, "Gawd, you must still have your first dime..."
> > >
> > > do you take this as a compliment or an insult?
> > > do you have a favorite retort?
> >
> > Yup, thats why I am 32 , have everything you have. no debt and have
never
> > worked.
>
> The downside is....."Every port of refuge has it's price" :-)

Most of those years I was unmarried, I learned while I was being a vagabond
how to survive on little money.. I know people who have never had a "real"
job and who make it. So I would change that from "never worked" to "never
worked for anyone".

July 7th 03, 01:37 AM
"val189" > wrote in message
m...
> I'm fairly sure it's happened to all of us frugal types. You let slip
> some little habit of scrimping or saving, and the comment cum sneer
> usually flies, "Gawd, you must still have your first dime..."
>
> do you take this as a compliment or an insult?

Neither . . . it's just their different way of looking at things . . .
I'm barbering part time in the rich part of town (old money), and it's
interesting how some of those folks think about money. Hah . . . the
expense of a shiny new car registers with 'em, but with them, it's a
question of paying the big bucks for a Jaguar or the really big bucks for a
Whatever. Stuff like buying a $3000 digital TV, a vacation trip to South
America, price differences between Neiman-Marcus and Sears, is trivial.
So, when they listen to someone chat about how they saved $20 with newspaper
coupons, or found the same Whatever at Wal-Mart for 10% less, well, you may
as well be talking Greek to 'em. It's stuff they not only don't know
anything about, it's stuff they never think about. It just seems trivial
to 'em, and that's they way they're gonna be, until Daddy's money runs out
and they and the kids go on welfare.

Anyway, some folks like to save $$$ just for a hobby, some do it because
they need to. Lots of people who don't pinch dimes ought to but won't, but
hey, what are gonna do with 'em? Next time, just be happy in what you've
managed to accomplish and ignore the others. As W.C. Fields once said,
"Never smarten up a chump!"
==Tock

> do you have a favorite retort?
>
> val

July 7th 03, 01:37 AM
"val189" > wrote in message
m...
> I'm fairly sure it's happened to all of us frugal types. You let slip
> some little habit of scrimping or saving, and the comment cum sneer
> usually flies, "Gawd, you must still have your first dime..."
>
> do you take this as a compliment or an insult?

Neither . . . it's just their different way of looking at things . . .
I'm barbering part time in the rich part of town (old money), and it's
interesting how some of those folks think about money. Hah . . . the
expense of a shiny new car registers with 'em, but with them, it's a
question of paying the big bucks for a Jaguar or the really big bucks for a
Whatever. Stuff like buying a $3000 digital TV, a vacation trip to South
America, price differences between Neiman-Marcus and Sears, is trivial.
So, when they listen to someone chat about how they saved $20 with newspaper
coupons, or found the same Whatever at Wal-Mart for 10% less, well, you may
as well be talking Greek to 'em. It's stuff they not only don't know
anything about, it's stuff they never think about. It just seems trivial
to 'em, and that's they way they're gonna be, until Daddy's money runs out
and they and the kids go on welfare.

Anyway, some folks like to save $$$ just for a hobby, some do it because
they need to. Lots of people who don't pinch dimes ought to but won't, but
hey, what are gonna do with 'em? Next time, just be happy in what you've
managed to accomplish and ignore the others. As W.C. Fields once said,
"Never smarten up a chump!"
==Tock

> do you have a favorite retort?
>
> val

Elaine Jackson
July 7th 03, 03:33 AM
Gene Wirchenko wrote:
> Then you can get really lucky. I found just over $300 once. I
>turned it over to the police. 90 days later, it had not been claimed,
>and it was mine.

This is great, Gene. It's a very good deal to be able to keep both your
integrity and $300. I'm definitely going to pass this one on. :^)
Elaine J

Elaine Jackson
July 7th 03, 03:33 AM
Gene Wirchenko wrote:
> Then you can get really lucky. I found just over $300 once. I
>turned it over to the police. 90 days later, it had not been claimed,
>and it was mine.

This is great, Gene. It's a very good deal to be able to keep both your
integrity and $300. I'm definitely going to pass this one on. :^)
Elaine J

Ed Clarke
July 7th 03, 03:58 AM
In article >,
> wrote:

> question of paying the big bucks for a Jaguar or the really big bucks for a
> Whatever. Stuff like buying a $3000 digital TV, a vacation trip to South
> America, price differences between Neiman-Marcus and Sears, is trivial.

Saw a new car on TV this morning. A custom Mercedes at $300000 each. The
local dealer has sold seven of them since they came out.

Ed Clarke
July 7th 03, 03:58 AM
In article >,
> wrote:

> question of paying the big bucks for a Jaguar or the really big bucks for a
> Whatever. Stuff like buying a $3000 digital TV, a vacation trip to South
> America, price differences between Neiman-Marcus and Sears, is trivial.

Saw a new car on TV this morning. A custom Mercedes at $300000 each. The
local dealer has sold seven of them since they came out.

Bob Ward
July 7th 03, 05:32 AM
On 7 Jul 2003 01:58:45 GMT, Ed Clarke > wrote:

>In article >,
> > wrote:
>
>> question of paying the big bucks for a Jaguar or the really big bucks for a
>> Whatever. Stuff like buying a $3000 digital TV, a vacation trip to South
>> America, price differences between Neiman-Marcus and Sears, is trivial.
>
>Saw a new car on TV this morning. A custom Mercedes at $300000 each. The
>local dealer has sold seven of them since they came out.

They all went to rugged individualists who could afford such a unique
car.

Bob Ward
July 7th 03, 05:32 AM
On 7 Jul 2003 01:58:45 GMT, Ed Clarke > wrote:

>In article >,
> > wrote:
>
>> question of paying the big bucks for a Jaguar or the really big bucks for a
>> Whatever. Stuff like buying a $3000 digital TV, a vacation trip to South
>> America, price differences between Neiman-Marcus and Sears, is trivial.
>
>Saw a new car on TV this morning. A custom Mercedes at $300000 each. The
>local dealer has sold seven of them since they came out.

They all went to rugged individualists who could afford such a unique
car.

July 7th 03, 06:41 PM
"Bob Ward" > wrote in message
> On 7 Jul 2003 01:58:45 GMT, Ed Clarke > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> question of paying the big bucks for a Jaguar or the really big bucks
for a
> >> Whatever. Stuff like buying a $3000 digital TV, a vacation trip to
South
> >> America, price differences between Neiman-Marcus and Sears, is trivial.
> >
> >Saw a new car on TV this morning. A custom Mercedes at $300000 each.
The
> >local dealer has sold seven of them since they came out.
>
> They all went to rugged individualists who could afford such a unique
> car.

Hah . . . sometimes we have customers pull up in front of the barber shop in
a shiny new Buick, and I'm so used to Mercedes and Jaguars and etc that when
I see 'em I think, gee, this guy must be down on his luck. Occasionally a
guy in a 5 year old Honda will pull in (like the SMU art professor) and
we'll think, "Hah, low-roller." Really silly. But danged if I don't like
those $8 tips on a $13 haircut -- and my cuts aren't really all that much
better than the $4 cuts I did in barber school. They're good, but geez, it
just goes to show there's really not much relationship between price and
quality in the hair business . . .

July 7th 03, 06:41 PM
"Bob Ward" > wrote in message
> On 7 Jul 2003 01:58:45 GMT, Ed Clarke > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> question of paying the big bucks for a Jaguar or the really big bucks
for a
> >> Whatever. Stuff like buying a $3000 digital TV, a vacation trip to
South
> >> America, price differences between Neiman-Marcus and Sears, is trivial.
> >
> >Saw a new car on TV this morning. A custom Mercedes at $300000 each.
The
> >local dealer has sold seven of them since they came out.
>
> They all went to rugged individualists who could afford such a unique
> car.

Hah . . . sometimes we have customers pull up in front of the barber shop in
a shiny new Buick, and I'm so used to Mercedes and Jaguars and etc that when
I see 'em I think, gee, this guy must be down on his luck. Occasionally a
guy in a 5 year old Honda will pull in (like the SMU art professor) and
we'll think, "Hah, low-roller." Really silly. But danged if I don't like
those $8 tips on a $13 haircut -- and my cuts aren't really all that much
better than the $4 cuts I did in barber school. They're good, but geez, it
just goes to show there's really not much relationship between price and
quality in the hair business . . .

Gene Wirchenko
July 7th 03, 08:30 PM
The Real Bev > wrote:

[snip]

>> Optimists look to the sky. We find their dropped valuables.
>
>Excellent! May I?

Certainly.

>--
>Cheers,
>Bev
>"Optimists look to the sky. We find their dropped valuables."
> -- G. Wirchenko

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Computerese Irregular Verb Conjugation:
I have preferences.
You have biases.
He/She has prejudices.

Gene Wirchenko
July 7th 03, 08:30 PM
The Real Bev > wrote:

[snip]

>> Optimists look to the sky. We find their dropped valuables.
>
>Excellent! May I?

Certainly.

>--
>Cheers,
>Bev
>"Optimists look to the sky. We find their dropped valuables."
> -- G. Wirchenko

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Computerese Irregular Verb Conjugation:
I have preferences.
You have biases.
He/She has prejudices.

Tess
July 7th 03, 09:21 PM
> Actually I've never had anyone say that to me, but my
response--accompanied
> by a grin--would be along the lines of "you say that like you think it's a
> bad thing."

I absolutely love that! I think it was meant as an insult, but you should
take it as a compliment : )

Cheers ~

- Tess

Tess
July 7th 03, 09:21 PM
> Actually I've never had anyone say that to me, but my
response--accompanied
> by a grin--would be along the lines of "you say that like you think it's a
> bad thing."

I absolutely love that! I think it was meant as an insult, but you should
take it as a compliment : )

Cheers ~

- Tess

July 8th 03, 12:40 AM
"Gary Heston" > wrote

> >do you have a favorite retort?
>
> "No, I invested it."

Chortle . . .
Isn't a retort some sort of glass laboratory thingamajig or
somethingorother?

July 8th 03, 12:40 AM
"Gary Heston" > wrote

> >do you have a favorite retort?
>
> "No, I invested it."

Chortle . . .
Isn't a retort some sort of glass laboratory thingamajig or
somethingorother?

lpogoda
July 8th 03, 03:50 AM
wrote in message ...

>Hah . . . sometimes we have customers pull up in front of the barber shop
in
>a shiny new Buick, and I'm so used to Mercedes and Jaguars and etc that
when
>I see 'em I think, gee, this guy must be down on his luck. Occasionally
>guy in a 5 year old Honda will pull in (like the SMU art professor) and
>we'll think, "Hah, low-roller." Really silly. But danged if I don't
like
>those $8 tips on a $13 haircut -- and my cuts aren't really all that much
>better than the $4 cuts I did in barber school. They're good, but geez,
it
>just goes to show there's really not much relationship between price and
>quality in the hair business . . .

You mean you're not getting better with practice?

lpogoda
July 8th 03, 03:50 AM
wrote in message ...

>Hah . . . sometimes we have customers pull up in front of the barber shop
in
>a shiny new Buick, and I'm so used to Mercedes and Jaguars and etc that
when
>I see 'em I think, gee, this guy must be down on his luck. Occasionally
>guy in a 5 year old Honda will pull in (like the SMU art professor) and
>we'll think, "Hah, low-roller." Really silly. But danged if I don't
like
>those $8 tips on a $13 haircut -- and my cuts aren't really all that much
>better than the $4 cuts I did in barber school. They're good, but geez,
it
>just goes to show there's really not much relationship between price and
>quality in the hair business . . .

You mean you're not getting better with practice?

The Real Bev

> Women will talk for hours
> and hours about what they had done to their hair and what they're gonna do
> to it, but a guy just says, "Yep, I got it cut," and that's it. None of
> this ruminating on and on about equal tapers or how flat the flat top was,
> or how hair doesn't stick over the hair line any more. Just a simple,
> "Yep, I got it cut," and sometimes just, "Yep."

I got my hair cut for free a few times at a new snotty salon that wanted
to train the cutters in "their" method, whatever that was. The woman next
to me kept crabbing about the cut and wanting another 1/4-inch taken off
here and there and finally the owner of the shop got ****ed and said
"Madam, it's only HAIR!" If she never came back, I doubt if it bothered
him.

Hope you get your own shop soon!

--
Cheers,
Bev

The Real Bev

> Women will talk for hours
> and hours about what they had done to their hair and what they're gonna do
> to it, but a guy just says, "Yep, I got it cut," and that's it. None of
> this ruminating on and on about equal tapers or how flat the flat top was,
> or how hair doesn't stick over the hair line any more. Just a simple,
> "Yep, I got it cut," and sometimes just, "Yep."

I got my hair cut for free a few times at a new snotty salon that wanted
to train the cutters in "their" method, whatever that was. The woman next
to me kept crabbing about the cut and wanting another 1/4-inch taken off
here and there and finally the owner of the shop got ****ed and said
"Madam, it's only HAIR!" If she never came back, I doubt if it bothered
him.

Hope you get your own shop soon!

--
Cheers,
Bev
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
If he had any brains, he'd take them out and play with them.

Elizabeth
July 8th 03, 07:47 PM
"Pat Meadows" > wrote in message

> What else always annoys me is that men's clothing is
> generally better-made (at the low price end) and generally
> 'in better taste' than women's clothing (again at the low
> price end of things).

Shoes, too! I have wide feet so can wear a man's size 7 shoe. I find that
men's shoes last a lot longer than women's in the same price range. Of
course I still buy women's dressy shoes - maybe one pair every 3 years.

EBBY

Elizabeth
July 8th 03, 07:47 PM
"Pat Meadows" > wrote in message

> What else always annoys me is that men's clothing is
> generally better-made (at the low price end) and generally
> 'in better taste' than women's clothing (again at the low
> price end of things).

Shoes, too! I have wide feet so can wear a man's size 7 shoe. I find that
men's shoes last a lot longer than women's in the same price range. Of
course I still buy women's dressy shoes - maybe one pair every 3 years.

EBBY

July 8th 03, 08:13 PM
>Shoes, too! I have wide feet so can wear
> a man's size 7 shoe.

I also have wider feet, and often wear men's shoes. I've practically
lived in a pair of men's Okabashi (sp?) sandals the past two or three
summers - they look like a nice pair of woven black slides that I even
wear them with skirts. Extremely comfortable, nice-looking (not
"masculine"), cheap and they fit nicely.

I like the fake Birkenstocks too, and learned the hard way to make sure
to buy men's so they're wide enough (bought a women's size pair years
ago, which seemed fine in the store just slipping them on, but when I
went walking in them, the raised footbeds left horrible blisters where
they rubbed against my feet).

Diva

July 8th 03, 08:13 PM
>Shoes, too! I have wide feet so can wear
> a man's size 7 shoe.

I also have wider feet, and often wear men's shoes. I've practically
lived in a pair of men's Okabashi (sp?) sandals the past two or three
summers - they look like a nice pair of woven black slides that I even
wear them with skirts. Extremely comfortable, nice-looking (not
"masculine"), cheap and they fit nicely.

I like the fake Birkenstocks too, and learned the hard way to make sure
to buy men's so they're wide enough (bought a women's size pair years
ago, which seemed fine in the store just slipping them on, but when I
went walking in them, the raised footbeds left horrible blisters where
they rubbed against my feet).

Diva

Nina
July 9th 03, 12:35 AM
> wrote
> BTW, there's more $$$ in this business than I thought . . . seems the
> boss does an average of 35 cuts a day, at $13 a pop, plus an average tip
of
> $4, that's right around $600 a day. He get 30% of what the other guys in
> the shop get, too. Not bad for retirement work . . . makes me want my own
> shop . . .
> Hah . . .
Thats thd way to go. I knopw young guys in GA who make good money with their
shops. Once they get a clientele, they will stick with that barber thru
thick and thin damn near till they die. The guy moves, the clients follow
him.

Nina
July 9th 03, 12:35 AM
> wrote
> BTW, there's more $$$ in this business than I thought . . . seems the
> boss does an average of 35 cuts a day, at $13 a pop, plus an average tip
of
> $4, that's right around $600 a day. He get 30% of what the other guys in
> the shop get, too. Not bad for retirement work . . . makes me want my own
> shop . . .
> Hah . . .
Thats thd way to go. I knopw young guys in GA who make good money with their
shops. Once they get a clientele, they will stick with that barber thru
thick and thin damn near till they die. The guy moves, the clients follow
him.

July 9th 03, 01:18 AM
"Pat Meadows" > wrote in message
> On 8 Jul 2003 10:19:17 -0700, (MsLiz)
> wrote:
>

> >> Hope you get your own shop soon!
> >

> >I don't like paying twice as much as guys for basically the same
> >haircut. Annoys the heck out of me.
> >

> What else always annoys me is that men's clothing is
> generally better-made (at the low price end) and generally
> 'in better taste' than women's clothing (again at the low
> price end of things).
>
> A typical example of what I'm talking about would be:
>
> Woman's blouse, short-sleeved: $19.95 - horrible pattern on
> sleazy fabric
>
> Man's shirt, short-sleeved (more fabric involved here):
> $9.95 - nice quiet plaid or check or solid color on much
> better fabric
>
> I am aware that it's not illegal or immoral for women to
> wear men's shirts, and I do so occasionally, but often would
> like something a bit more feminine.
>
> Pat

I was always intrigued at where they put the buttons on women's blouses --
on the back. Always wondered what woman-hating clothes designer came up
with that idea . . .
--Tock

July 9th 03, 01:18 AM
"Pat Meadows" > wrote in message
> On 8 Jul 2003 10:19:17 -0700, (MsLiz)
> wrote:
>

> >> Hope you get your own shop soon!
> >

> >I don't like paying twice as much as guys for basically the same
> >haircut. Annoys the heck out of me.
> >

> What else always annoys me is that men's clothing is
> generally better-made (at the low price end) and generally
> 'in better taste' than women's clothing (again at the low
> price end of things).
>
> A typical example of what I'm talking about would be:
>
> Woman's blouse, short-sleeved: $19.95 - horrible pattern on
> sleazy fabric
>
> Man's shirt, short-sleeved (more fabric involved here):
> $9.95 - nice quiet plaid or check or solid color on much
> better fabric
>
> I am aware that it's not illegal or immoral for women to
> wear men's shirts, and I do so occasionally, but often would
> like something a bit more feminine.
>
> Pat

I was always intrigued at where they put the buttons on women's blouses --
on the back. Always wondered what woman-hating clothes designer came up
with that idea . . .
--Tock

July 9th 03, 01:34 AM
"Nina" > wrote in message
t...

> > wrote
> > BTW, there's more $$$ in this business than I thought . . . seems the
> > boss does an average of 35 cuts a day, at $13 a pop, plus an average tip
> of
> > $4, that's right around $600 a day. He get 30% of what the other guys
in
> > the shop get, too. Not bad for retirement work . . . makes me want my
own
> > shop . . .
> > Hah . . .
> Thats thd way to go. I knopw young guys in GA who make good money with
their
> shops. Once they get a clientele, they will stick with that barber thru
> thick and thin damn near till they die. The guy moves, the clients follow
> him.

Yah, I've noticed that, too. I'm filling in for a guy who's been cutting
hair since 1949, and he still has clients coming to him that started with
him way back when. Supposedly, of all the professions, barbers are the
ones who stick with their jobs the longest (saw this in the paper months
ago, so it must be true).

Even though I'm rarin' to open up my own shop, the Texas Legislature in its
divine wisdom passed a law recently that says brand new barbers (that's me)
can't own a shop until their licenses are 12 months old. Problem was that
lots of guys started their own businesses, and went broke 'cause they didn't
understand the biz, and the politicians thought they'd step in and do
something about it.
The thought behind the law was nice, trying to save some guys from
business failure, but seems to me (1) it's not the government's place to
provide this sort of protection (2) it's crazy, because with barber school
behind me, I can't open up a place, BUT anyone else without a barber
license--like a schoolteacher, or lawyer-- can. This lets folks with $$$
to invest open up Supercuts and Procuts franchises. But geez, I can't do
that (open up a franchise) until next year simply because I just got my
barber license. There's the Texas Legislature for ya . . . the same club
that voted Albert DeSalvo (the Boston Strangler) an award for his work in
population control.

Anyway, yah, I think I'm gonna do it as soon as it's legal for me to do so .
.. . and as a first-week opening special, there'll be free haircuts for
everyone from mcfl . . . how's that for frugal?
--Best,
--Tock

July 9th 03, 01:34 AM
"Nina" > wrote in message
t...

> > wrote
> > BTW, there's more $$$ in this business than I thought . . . seems the
> > boss does an average of 35 cuts a day, at $13 a pop, plus an average tip
> of
> > $4, that's right around $600 a day. He get 30% of what the other guys
in
> > the shop get, too. Not bad for retirement work . . . makes me want my
own
> > shop . . .
> > Hah . . .
> Thats thd way to go. I knopw young guys in GA who make good money with
their
> shops. Once they get a clientele, they will stick with that barber thru
> thick and thin damn near till they die. The guy moves, the clients follow
> him.

Yah, I've noticed that, too. I'm filling in for a guy who's been cutting
hair since 1949, and he still has clients coming to him that started with
him way back when. Supposedly, of all the professions, barbers are the
ones who stick with their jobs the longest (saw this in the paper months
ago, so it must be true).

Even though I'm rarin' to open up my own shop, the Texas Legislature in its
divine wisdom passed a law recently that says brand new barbers (that's me)
can't own a shop until their licenses are 12 months old. Problem was that
lots of guys started their own businesses, and went broke 'cause they didn't
understand the biz, and the politicians thought they'd step in and do
something about it.
The thought behind the law was nice, trying to save some guys from
business failure, but seems to me (1) it's not the government's place to
provide this sort of protection (2) it's crazy, because with barber school
behind me, I can't open up a place, BUT anyone else without a barber
license--like a schoolteacher, or lawyer-- can. This lets folks with $$$
to invest open up Supercuts and Procuts franchises. But geez, I can't do
that (open up a franchise) until next year simply because I just got my
barber license. There's the Texas Legislature for ya . . . the same club
that voted Albert DeSalvo (the Boston Strangler) an award for his work in
population control.

Anyway, yah, I think I'm gonna do it as soon as it's legal for me to do so .
.. . and as a first-week opening special, there'll be free haircuts for
everyone from mcfl . . . how's that for frugal?
--Best,
--Tock

rAD
July 9th 03, 02:53 AM
"Halcitron" > wrote

> Smith & Wesson starts where the Bill of Rights stop.

"Without the 2nd Amendment, the other Amendments are just suggestions"

-Me

rAD
July 9th 03, 02:53 AM
"Halcitron" > wrote

> Smith & Wesson starts where the Bill of Rights stop.

"Without the 2nd Amendment, the other Amendments are just suggestions"

-Me

lpogoda
July 9th 03, 03:11 AM
MsLiz wrote in message ...

>I don't like paying twice as much as guys for basically the same
>haircut. Annoys the heck out of me.

I haven't been to a plain old "men's" barber shop in years. Many years ago,
one of the signs of my increasing maturity was that my hair started to thin.
My wife suggested that the woman who cut her hair also did guys, and that
maybe she could make my head look a little better. So I went, and did she
ever. I don't know what was different, but for years it looked like I still
had a full head of hair. Or maybe her cuts misled the eye somehow.

Anyway, the point is that I've never seen a place that caters to mostly
women, or a well mixed clientele, that's anything like a regular men's
barber shop. Part of it is the decor, the "ambience" if you will, and that
costs. The other thing is if you're getting "basically the same" haircut,
you're probably not getting the same haircut - would you be happy with a 13
minute or less cut (35 cuts in an 8 hour day is 13 minutes and 42 seconds)?
I find it hard to imagine that if you walked into any barber shop, sat in a
chair and said "taper the sides, short on top" that

a. the barber wouldn't cut your hair, and
b. the barber would charge you a different price

Maybe the new barber in our midst could confirm or deny that supposition.

lpogoda
July 9th 03, 03:11 AM
MsLiz wrote in message ...

>I don't like paying twice as much as guys for basically the same
>haircut. Annoys the heck out of me.

I haven't been to a plain old "men's" barber shop in years. Many years ago,
one of the signs of my increasing maturity was that my hair started to thin.
My wife suggested that the woman who cut her hair also did guys, and that
maybe she could make my head look a little better. So I went, and did she
ever. I don't know what was different, but for years it looked like I still
had a full head of hair. Or maybe her cuts misled the eye somehow.

Anyway, the point is that I've never seen a place that caters to mostly
women, or a well mixed clientele, that's anything like a regular men's
barber shop. Part of it is the decor, the "ambience" if you will, and that
costs. The other thing is if you're getting "basically the same" haircut,
you're probably not getting the same haircut - would you be happy with a 13
minute or less cut (35 cuts in an 8 hour day is 13 minutes and 42 seconds)?
I find it hard to imagine that if you walked into any barber shop, sat in a
chair and said "taper the sides, short on top" that

a. the barber wouldn't cut your hair, and
b. the barber would charge you a different price

Maybe the new barber in our midst could confirm or deny that supposition.

lpogoda
July 9th 03, 03:19 AM
Pat Meadows wrote in message ...
>What else always annoys me is that men's clothing is
>generally better-made (at the low price end) and generally
>'in better taste' than women's clothing (again at the low
>price end of things).
>
>A typical example of what I'm talking about would be:
>
>Woman's blouse, short-sleeved: $19.95 - horrible pattern on
>sleazy fabric
>
>Man's shirt, short-sleeved (more fabric involved here):
>$9.95 - nice quiet plaid or check or solid color on much
>better fabric
>
>I am aware that it's not illegal or immoral for women to
>wear men's shirts, and I do so occasionally, but often would
>like something a bit more feminine.

I've always supposed that the difference boils down to economy of scale - in
my experience, men's styles are less varied than women's for instance.
Also, no one thinks twice if a guy wears a white shirt every day to the
office (not the same shirt, a different shirt every day, all of them white)
but I've never seen a woman do that. Longer production runs, less varied
inventory, lower cost.

Speaking personally, I occasionally feel bored by those nice quiet plaids
and solids and would like something a little more flamboyant. But you don't
have to buy those "horrible pattern" blouses.

lpogoda
July 9th 03, 03:19 AM
Pat Meadows wrote in message ...
>What else always annoys me is that men's clothing is
>generally better-made (at the low price end) and generally
>'in better taste' than women's clothing (again at the low
>price end of things).
>
>A typical example of what I'm talking about would be:
>
>Woman's blouse, short-sleeved: $19.95 - horrible pattern on
>sleazy fabric
>
>Man's shirt, short-sleeved (more fabric involved here):
>$9.95 - nice quiet plaid or check or solid color on much
>better fabric
>
>I am aware that it's not illegal or immoral for women to
>wear men's shirts, and I do so occasionally, but often would
>like something a bit more feminine.

I've always supposed that the difference boils down to economy of scale - in
my experience, men's styles are less varied than women's for instance.
Also, no one thinks twice if a guy wears a white shirt every day to the
office (not the same shirt, a different shirt every day, all of them white)
but I've never seen a woman do that. Longer production runs, less varied
inventory, lower cost.

Speaking personally, I occasionally feel bored by those nice quiet plaids
and solids and would like something a little more flamboyant. But you don't
have to buy those "horrible pattern" blouses.

Nina
July 9th 03, 05:53 PM
> wrote
>

> I was always intrigued at where they put the buttons on women's blouses --
> on the back. Always wondered what woman-hating clothes designer came up
> with that idea . . .
> --Tock

WOmen of quality used to have people dress them. Must have been nice.

Nina
July 9th 03, 05:53 PM
> wrote
>

> I was always intrigued at where they put the buttons on women's blouses --
> on the back. Always wondered what woman-hating clothes designer came up
> with that idea . . .
> --Tock

WOmen of quality used to have people dress them. Must have been nice.

Heather Jones
July 9th 03, 06:02 PM
Dude! It wasn't me! It was Nina who wrote:
> wrote
:> I was always intrigued at where they put the buttons on women's blouses --
:> on the back. Always wondered what woman-hating clothes designer came up
:> with that idea . . .
: WOmen of quality used to have people dress them. Must have been nice.

Is that why, even when the buttons are on the front of women's shirts
now, they're usually on the opposite side than men's shirts? So someone
else will have an easier time buttoning them?

Of course, men of quality likely also had someone to dress them back
then. *shrug*

--heather

--
Heather Jones heather_jones(at)pobox(dot)com
http://www.haphazard.org http://hap.livejournal.com

Heather Jones
July 9th 03, 06:02 PM
Dude! It wasn't me! It was Nina who wrote:
> wrote
:> I was always intrigued at where they put the buttons on women's blouses --
:> on the back. Always wondered what woman-hating clothes designer came up
:> with that idea . . .
: WOmen of quality used to have people dress them. Must have been nice.

Is that why, even when the buttons are on the front of women's shirts
now, they're usually on the opposite side than men's shirts? So someone
else will have an easier time buttoning them?

Of course, men of quality likely also had someone to dress them back
then. *shrug*

--heather

--
Heather Jones heather_jones(at)pobox(dot)com
http://www.haphazard.org http://hap.livejournal.com

Nina
July 9th 03, 06:06 PM
"Heather Jones" > wrote in message
rg...
> Dude! It wasn't me! It was Nina who wrote:
> > wrote
> :> I was always intrigued at where they put the buttons on women's
blouses --
> :> on the back. Always wondered what woman-hating clothes designer came
up
> :> with that idea . . .
> : WOmen of quality used to have people dress them. Must have been nice.
>
> Is that why, even when the buttons are on the front of women's shirts
> now, they're usually on the opposite side than men's shirts? So someone
> else will have an easier time buttoning them?
>
> Of course, men of quality likely also had someone to dress them back
> then. *shrug*

Probably. I always hear about women having someone dress them, not sure what
men did. Never really cared! :)
Nina

Nina
July 9th 03, 06:06 PM
"Heather Jones" > wrote in message
rg...
> Dude! It wasn't me! It was Nina who wrote:
> > wrote
> :> I was always intrigued at where they put the buttons on women's
blouses --
> :> on the back. Always wondered what woman-hating clothes designer came
up
> :> with that idea . . .
> : WOmen of quality used to have people dress them. Must have been nice.
>
> Is that why, even when the buttons are on the front of women's shirts
> now, they're usually on the opposite side than men's shirts? So someone
> else will have an easier time buttoning them?
>
> Of course, men of quality likely also had someone to dress them back
> then. *shrug*

Probably. I always hear about women having someone dress them, not sure what
men did. Never really cared! :)
Nina

jean and bill
July 11th 03, 03:04 AM
In article >,
says...
> No, and I don't. But that leaves me *very* little choice ON
> THE LOW END OF THE PRICE RANGE (as I specified in my prior
> post.)

Ah, that's when I hit the thrift store.

Jeannie
--
To reply to me, remove *spamenot* from address.

jean and bill
July 11th 03, 03:04 AM
In article >,
says...
> No, and I don't. But that leaves me *very* little choice ON
> THE LOW END OF THE PRICE RANGE (as I specified in my prior
> post.)

Ah, that's when I hit the thrift store.

Jeannie
--
To reply to me, remove *spamenot* from address.

~^Johnny^~
July 13th 03, 05:11 AM
On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 13:22:19 -0400, "Tsu Dho Poster"
> wrote:

>The downside is....."Every port of refuge has it's price"

Hey! No fun aloud in here!
--
-john

~~~~~~~~
Always listen to experts. They will explain what
can't be done and why. Then do it. - Robert Heinlein
~~~~~~~~

~^Johnny^~
July 13th 03, 05:11 AM
On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 13:22:19 -0400, "Tsu Dho Poster"
> wrote:

>The downside is....."Every port of refuge has it's price"

Hey! No fun aloud in here!
--
-john

~~~~~~~~
Always listen to experts. They will explain what
can't be done and why. Then do it. - Robert Heinlein
~~~~~~~~

~^Johnny^~
July 13th 03, 05:12 AM
On 5 Jul 2003 16:33:09 -0700, (val189) wrote:

>do you have a favorite retort?

"Well, at least I don't have copper stains between my fingers"
--
-john

~~~~~~~~
Always listen to experts. They will explain what
can't be done and why. Then do it. - Robert Heinlein
~~~~~~~~

~^Johnny^~
July 13th 03, 05:12 AM
On 5 Jul 2003 16:33:09 -0700, (val189) wrote:

>do you have a favorite retort?

"Well, at least I don't have copper stains between my fingers"
--
-john

~~~~~~~~
Always listen to experts. They will explain what
can't be done and why. Then do it. - Robert Heinlein
~~~~~~~~

~^Johnny^~
July 13th 03, 05:25 AM
On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 22:40:49 GMT, > wrote:

>"Gary Heston" > wrote
>
>> >do you have a favorite retort?
>>
>> "No, I invested it."
>

>Chortle . . .
>Isn't a retort some sort of glass laboratory thingamajig or
>somethingorother?

From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) (web1913)
Retort \Re*tort"\, n. [See {Retort},

2. [F. retorte (cf. Sp. retorta), fr. L. retortus, p. p. of
retorquere. So named from its bent shape. See {Retort}, v. t.] (Chem.
& the Arts) A vessel in which substances are subjected to distillation
or decomposition by heat. It is made of different forms and materials
for different uses, as a bulb of glass with a curved beak to enter a
receiver for general chemical operations, or a cylinder or
semicylinder of cast iron for the manufacture of gas in gas works.
--
-john

~~~~~~~~
Always listen to experts. They will explain what
can't be done and why. Then do it. - Robert Heinlein
~~~~~~~~

~^Johnny^~
July 13th 03, 05:25 AM
On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 22:40:49 GMT, > wrote:

>"Gary Heston" > wrote
>
>> >do you have a favorite retort?
>>
>> "No, I invested it."
>

>Chortle . . .
>Isn't a retort some sort of glass laboratory thingamajig or
>somethingorother?

From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) (web1913)
Retort \Re*tort"\, n. [See {Retort},

2. [F. retorte (cf. Sp. retorta), fr. L. retortus, p. p. of
retorquere. So named from its bent shape. See {Retort}, v. t.] (Chem.
& the Arts) A vessel in which substances are subjected to distillation
or decomposition by heat. It is made of different forms and materials
for different uses, as a bulb of glass with a curved beak to enter a
receiver for general chemical operations, or a cylinder or
semicylinder of cast iron for the manufacture of gas in gas works.
--
-john

~~~~~~~~
Always listen to experts. They will explain what
can't be done and why. Then do it. - Robert Heinlein
~~~~~~~~

Google