PDA

View Full Version : American Express Blue Cash

Mike Forman
July 6th 03, 05:30 AM
I've been using Amex for years because I used to travel a lot on business. Even
though they charge a fee for the card and their "awards" program, I kept the
card because I love their customer service, especially when it comes to
disputing an item. No writing letters or other hassles, they do it all over the
phone or web.

I decided the awards program wasnt really worth it for me because I'm not using
the card like I used to, so I am trying out the new Amex Blue Cash Card that was
rated well in a link posted in this group.

Basically its almost like a Discover, but its supposed to have the other Amex
benefits (cust service, car rental insurance waivers, etc). I'm not sure about
the service yet, as I havent had a chance to use it.

The Cash back is "up to 5%" and it's based upon spending levels and where you
buy things from. If you pay your bill off every month like I do, the best you
can do is get 3% because that extra 2% is given if you carry a balance (and
hence pay finance charges).

I was thinkning of carrying a small balance every month just to get that extra
2% back, but I'm not sure how the finance charges work if you carry a balance.
For example, if I had a 2,000 bill, and paid 1,999, I would have a balance of 1$
and start paying finance charges on that 1$.

What happens with finance charges if you carry a balance? Do you start paying
finance charges on new purchases? So if the next month I spent another 2,000,
would I be paying finance charges on full $2,001, or just the 1$?

drifter
July 6th 03, 10:47 AM
Nothing is for free. The new Amex card is no exception. I have the old
card. Pay your balance and it's over. If you think you are getting
something for nothing you are not. I understand the new card(s), as
opposed to your old card, has a clause in the agreement where you agree
to allow Amex to disclosure your personal information to other
appropriate people. Your choice. If you live long enough in this
world, you realize that new is never better. You get more polish and
luster, but the prize is make cheaper and lasts not nearly as long.

Mike Forman wrote:

> I've been using Amex for years because I used to travel a lot on business. Even
> though they charge a fee for the card and their "awards" program, I kept the
> card because I love their customer service, especially when it comes to
> disputing an item. No writing letters or other hassles, they do it all over the
> phone or web.
>
> I decided the awards program wasnt really worth it for me because I'm not using
> the card like I used to, so I am trying out the new Amex Blue Cash Card that was
> rated well in a link posted in this group.
>
> Basically its almost like a Discover, but its supposed to have the other Amex
> benefits (cust service, car rental insurance waivers, etc). I'm not sure about
> the service yet, as I havent had a chance to use it.
>
> The Cash back is "up to 5%" and it's based upon spending levels and where you
> buy things from. If you pay your bill off every month like I do, the best you
> can do is get 3% because that extra 2% is given if you carry a balance (and
> hence pay finance charges).
>
> I was thinkning of carrying a small balance every month just to get that extra
> 2% back, but I'm not sure how the finance charges work if you carry a balance.
> For example, if I had a 2,000 bill, and paid 1,999, I would have a balance of 1$
> and start paying finance charges on that 1$.
>
> What happens with finance charges if you carry a balance? Do you start paying
> finance charges on new purchases? So if the next month I spent another 2,000,
> would I be paying finance charges on full $2,001, or just the 1$?

Me
July 6th 03, 03:11 PM
In article >,
Mike Forman > wrote:

> I was thinkning of carrying a small balance every month just to get that
> extra 2% back, but I'm not sure how the finance charges work if you carry a
> balance. For example, if I had a 2,000 bill, and paid 1,999, I would have a balance of
> 1$ and start paying finance charges on that 1$.
>
> What happens with finance charges if you carry a balance? Do you start
> paying finance charges on new purchases? So if the next month I spent another
> 2,000, would I be paying finance charges on full $2,001, or just the 1$?

These questions are probably all answered in the terms of service
agreement that Amex sent you when you applied for your Blue Card. If the
terms are not clear, just call Amex customer service to ask.

Me
July 6th 03, 03:11 PM
In article >,
Mike Forman > wrote:

> I was thinkning of carrying a small balance every month just to get that
> extra 2% back, but I'm not sure how the finance charges work if you carry a
> balance. For example, if I had a 2,000 bill, and paid 1,999, I would have a balance of
> 1$ and start paying finance charges on that 1$.
>
> What happens with finance charges if you carry a balance? Do you start
> paying finance charges on new purchases? So if the next month I spent another
> 2,000, would I be paying finance charges on full $2,001, or just the 1$?

These questions are probably all answered in the terms of service
agreement that Amex sent you when you applied for your Blue Card. If the
terms are not clear, just call Amex customer service to ask.

Google