PDA

View Full Version : OT Question about running

Semi-Detached
July 6th 03, 06:59 AM
Any tips to improve performance? I've moved beyond the usual 4 laps to
adjourning for Miller time to an average of 2 1/2 miles a day with a peak last
week of 6 1/2 miles. I have yet to be able to come close to matching that. Then
today I got a horrible stitch in my side. I would walk til it subsided then ran
a bit more then suddenly I had a horrible sharp pain that felt like I had a
knife jammed where my rib cage meets my solar plexus. It took a while to go
away and I ended up just calling it quits and walking home very slowly. Does
anyone have any ideas to improve my performance and keep such painful episodes
to a minimum? I hadnt ate since I had a banana 60 to 90 mins previous and it
wasnt too hot because I waited til after dark.

July 6th 03, 07:26 AM
(Semi-Detached) wrote:

>Any tips to improve performance? I've moved beyond the usual 4 laps to
>adjourning for Miller time to an average of 2 1/2 miles a day with a peak last
>week of 6 1/2 miles. I have yet to be able to come close to matching that. Then
>today I got a horrible stitch in my side. I would walk til it subsided then ran
>a bit more then suddenly I had a horrible sharp pain that felt like I had a
>knife jammed where my rib cage meets my solar plexus. It took a while to go
>away and I ended up just calling it quits and walking home very slowly. Does
>anyone have any ideas to improve my performance and keep such painful episodes
>to a minimum? I hadnt ate since I had a banana 60 to 90 mins previous and it
>wasnt too hot because I waited til after dark.

Try magnesium. There are some reports that these craps are a result of low
magnesium. Since it is you, start out slow, and work your way up in dose until
your underpants squish.

July 6th 03, 07:26 AM
(Semi-Detached) wrote:

>Any tips to improve performance? I've moved beyond the usual 4 laps to
>adjourning for Miller time to an average of 2 1/2 miles a day with a peak last
>week of 6 1/2 miles. I have yet to be able to come close to matching that. Then
>today I got a horrible stitch in my side. I would walk til it subsided then ran
>a bit more then suddenly I had a horrible sharp pain that felt like I had a
>knife jammed where my rib cage meets my solar plexus. It took a while to go
>away and I ended up just calling it quits and walking home very slowly. Does
>anyone have any ideas to improve my performance and keep such painful episodes
>to a minimum? I hadnt ate since I had a banana 60 to 90 mins previous and it
>wasnt too hot because I waited til after dark.

Try magnesium. There are some reports that these craps are a result of low
magnesium. Since it is you, start out slow, and work your way up in dose until
your underpants squish.

Brown Hornet
July 6th 03, 02:57 PM
"Semi-Detached" > wrote in message
> Any tips to improve performance? I've moved beyond the usual 4 laps to
> adjourning for Miller time to an average of 2 1/2 miles a day with a peak
last
> week of 6 1/2 miles. I have yet to be able to come close to matching that.
Then
> today I got a horrible stitch in my side. I would walk til it subsided
then ran
> a bit more then suddenly I had a horrible sharp pain that felt like I had
> knife jammed where my rib cage meets my solar plexus. It took a while to
go
> away and I ended up just calling it quits and walking home very slowly.
Does
> anyone have any ideas to improve my performance and keep such painful
episodes
> to a minimum? I hadnt ate since I had a banana 60 to 90 mins previous and
it
> wasnt too hot because I waited til after dark.

SD,

A friend of mine swears that having any caffeine prior to her run results in
cramps. Do you drink coffee in the morning, prior to your run?

--
Brown Hornet

Brown Hornet
July 6th 03, 02:57 PM
"Semi-Detached" > wrote in message
> Any tips to improve performance? I've moved beyond the usual 4 laps to
> adjourning for Miller time to an average of 2 1/2 miles a day with a peak
last
> week of 6 1/2 miles. I have yet to be able to come close to matching that.
Then
> today I got a horrible stitch in my side. I would walk til it subsided
then ran
> a bit more then suddenly I had a horrible sharp pain that felt like I had
> knife jammed where my rib cage meets my solar plexus. It took a while to
go
> away and I ended up just calling it quits and walking home very slowly.
Does
> anyone have any ideas to improve my performance and keep such painful
episodes
> to a minimum? I hadnt ate since I had a banana 60 to 90 mins previous and
it
> wasnt too hot because I waited til after dark.

SD,

A friend of mine swears that having any caffeine prior to her run results in
cramps. Do you drink coffee in the morning, prior to your run?

--
Brown Hornet

Tomcat14
July 6th 03, 09:12 PM
Me > wrote in message >...
> In article >,
> (Semi-Detached) wrote:
>
> > Any tips to improve performance?
>
> You'll probably get more helpful responses by posting your question on a
> newsgroup about running. An example is rec.running

The rec.running group has been taken over by several grossly vulgar
types, which makes it difficult for serious posters to get or give
information. Make sure you are anonymous and try reading the archives
instead as all the information is there. There is nothing new in
running for the most part.

Tomcat14
July 6th 03, 09:12 PM
Me > wrote in message >...
> In article >,
> (Semi-Detached) wrote:
>
> > Any tips to improve performance?
>
> You'll probably get more helpful responses by posting your question on a
> newsgroup about running. An example is rec.running

The rec.running group has been taken over by several grossly vulgar
types, which makes it difficult for serious posters to get or give
information. Make sure you are anonymous and try reading the archives
instead as all the information is there. There is nothing new in
running for the most part.

Semi-Detached
July 9th 03, 07:43 AM
>From: "Brown Hornet"

>A friend of mine swears that having any caffeine prior to her run results in
>cramps. Do you drink coffee in the morning, prior to your run?

Wow that was probably it! I ran in the evening but when I woke up from a nap I
had some cafe latte soy milk.
I am way too groggy and tired to run in the morning unfortunately.

Semi-Detached
July 9th 03, 07:43 AM
>From: "Brown Hornet"

>A friend of mine swears that having any caffeine prior to her run results in
>cramps. Do you drink coffee in the morning, prior to your run?

Wow that was probably it! I ran in the evening but when I woke up from a nap I
had some cafe latte soy milk.
I am way too groggy and tired to run in the morning unfortunately.

Semi-Detached
July 9th 03, 07:43 AM
>From: Me

>You'll probably get more helpful responses by posting your question on a
>newsgroup about running. An example is rec.running

No, I want you to tell me.

Semi-Detached
July 9th 03, 07:43 AM
>From: Me

>You'll probably get more helpful responses by posting your question on a
>newsgroup about running. An example is rec.running

No, I want you to tell me.

Semi-Detached
July 9th 03, 07:44 AM
>From: (Tomcat14)

>The rec.running group has been taken over by several grossly vulgar
>types, which makes it difficult for serious posters to get or give
>information.

Ive noticed that about any of the fitness related groups I've tried to look at

>Make sure you are anonymous and try reading the archives
>instead as all the information is there. There is nothing new in
>running for the most part.

Semi-Detached
July 9th 03, 07:44 AM
>From: (Tomcat14)

>The rec.running group has been taken over by several grossly vulgar
>types, which makes it difficult for serious posters to get or give
>information.

Ive noticed that about any of the fitness related groups I've tried to look at

>Make sure you are anonymous and try reading the archives
>instead as all the information is there. There is nothing new in
>running for the most part.

R.White
July 9th 03, 12:54 PM
(Tomcat14) wrote in message >...
> Me > wrote in message >...
> > In article >,
> > (Semi-Detached) wrote:
> >
> > > Any tips to improve performance?
> >
> > You'll probably get more helpful responses by posting your question on a
> > newsgroup about running. An example is rec.running
>
> The rec.running group has been taken over by several grossly vulgar
> types......

Yeah, and? Remember it's FMG/SS your talking about. He'll be right at home there.

R.White
July 9th 03, 12:54 PM
(Tomcat14) wrote in message >...
> Me > wrote in message >...
> > In article >,
> > (Semi-Detached) wrote:
> >
> > > Any tips to improve performance?
> >
> > You'll probably get more helpful responses by posting your question on a
> > newsgroup about running. An example is rec.running
>
> The rec.running group has been taken over by several grossly vulgar
> types......

Yeah, and? Remember it's FMG/SS your talking about. He'll be right at home there.

Google