PDA

View Full Version : Re: Question about car brake pads

JazzMan
July 6th 03, 04:56 PM
Slugbug wrote:

> I have a question about auto brake pads. I've sort of been convinced to
> try replacing the brake pads myself, in the hope that I won't stay in the
> habit of always taking it someplace to get this done. I was looking on
> the www.jcwhitney.com website, at item 66669. It is specifically for my
> Buick Century. It says it is a set of 4 brake pads, "for both front or
> both rear wheels". I guess I'm confused by that. The picture shows 2
> smaller pads that I assume are for the front wheels, and two larger ones
> that I would think are for the rear ones I don't see any place where you
> can pick between getting 4 for the front wheels or 4 for the back wheels.
> Anyone have any ideas on this? I've always assumed that each wheel used
> two pads, so I thought that all 4 wheels would be 8 pads, total. Mostly,
> I'm confused by the fact that they say it is a set of 4, for both front or
> rear wheels. If anyone could clue me in by what they mean by this, I
> would really appreciate it.

Pads are normallly replaced at one end of the car as a set. Otherwise
there is a risk of a brake pull causing the car to turn left or right
when braking. There are two pads per caliper, so each end of the car
would use a total of 4 pads. Larger pads normally go to the front,
and smaller pads to the rear, but some cars use the same size pad both
front and rear.

The front pads will be fairly easy to change. The rears will be more
difficult to change if the parking brake mechanism is built into the
caliper. If that's the case, you will need to purchase a special tool
to "turn in" the pistons, and you will have to get a service manual
to tell you which direction each caliper piston has to be turned. If
you turn it the wrong way, you can damage the caliper beyond repair.

Also, you will need to lube the caliper slide pins with Sylglide, a
special hi-temp brake grease. Use no substitute.

JazzMan
--
***************************************
Please reply to jsavage"at"airmail.net.

Steven M. Scharf
July 6th 03, 08:45 PM
Do not buy brake pads or rotors from JC Whitney.

I speak from experience here. I bought pads from them,
installed them on my VW Rabbit, and went driving in
San Francisco. The pads glazed over, the brakes faded,
and I was lucky to not have an accident. I had to do the
entire job a second time.

There are BIG differences in quality with brake pads.
Either get pads from the dealer's parts departement
or buy the highest quality pads you can find at a
real parts store (not a Pep Boys or Kragen, but
a jobber).

My brother-in-law owns a franchise repair
shop where they have to advertise the obligatory
cheap brake job, but on most cars he won't do the
brakes for that price since he'd have to use the low
quality pads. Doing the job with good pads (usually
from the dealer) adds $25-$40 to the price.

"Slugbug" > wrote in message
> I have a question about auto brake pads. I've sort of been convinced to
> try replacing the brake pads myself, in the hope that I won't stay in the
> habit of always taking it someplace to get this done. I was looking on
> the www.jcwhitney.com website, at item 66669. It is specifically for my
> Buick Century. It says it is a set of 4 brake pads, "for both front or
> both rear wheels". I guess I'm confused by that. The picture shows 2
> smaller pads that I assume are for the front wheels, and two larger ones
> that I would think are for the rear ones I don't see any place where you
> can pick between getting 4 for the front wheels or 4 for the back wheels.
> Anyone have any ideas on this? I've always assumed that each wheel used
> two pads, so I thought that all 4 wheels would be 8 pads, total. Mostly,
> I'm confused by the fact that they say it is a set of 4, for both front or
> rear wheels. If anyone could clue me in by what they mean by this, I
> would really appreciate it.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Dan

The Real Bev
July 6th 03, 10:54 PM
JohnDoe wrote:

> On 6 Jul 2003 10:42:08 -0400, Slugbug > wrote:
>
> > I have a question about auto brake pads. I've sort of been convinced to
> >try replacing the brake pads myself, in the hope that I won't stay in the
> >habit of always taking it someplace to get this done. I was looking on
> >the www.jcwhitney.com website, at item 66669. It is specifically for my
> >Buick Century. It says it is a set of 4 brake pads, "for both front or
> >both rear wheels". I guess I'm confused by that. The picture shows 2
> >smaller pads that I assume are for the front wheels, and two larger ones
> >that I would think are for the rear ones I don't see any place where you
> >can pick between getting 4 for the front wheels or 4 for the back wheels.
> >Anyone have any ideas on this? I've always assumed that each wheel used
> >two pads, so I thought that all 4 wheels would be 8 pads, total. Mostly,
> >I'm confused by the fact that they say it is a set of 4, for both front or
> >rear wheels. If anyone could clue me in by what they mean by this, I
> >would really appreciate it.
> why don't you seek out an automotive newsgroup that focuses on that
> car?
> the motor heads there will surely be able to supply you with all you
> need to know

Probably because special-interest groups are not noted for the frugality
of their solutions.

Slug, is there a Pep Boys near you? We've used their shoes/pads on
several cars and have had no problems. Lifetime warranty, which means
that the set you buy today will be replaced for free when it wears out in
40K miles, and that set will be replaced for free when it wears out in 40K
miles, and that set will be replaced...

It really gripes me that my Sentra went to her grave (smog regs, screw the
State of California) with LOTS of lifetime parts.

--
Cheers,
Bev

The Real Bev
July 6th 03, 10:54 PM
JohnDoe wrote:

> On 6 Jul 2003 10:42:08 -0400, Slugbug > wrote:
>
> > I have a question about auto brake pads. I've sort of been convinced to
> >try replacing the brake pads myself, in the hope that I won't stay in the
> >habit of always taking it someplace to get this done. I was looking on
> >the www.jcwhitney.com website, at item 66669. It is specifically for my
> >Buick Century. It says it is a set of 4 brake pads, "for both front or
> >both rear wheels". I guess I'm confused by that. The picture shows 2
> >smaller pads that I assume are for the front wheels, and two larger ones
> >that I would think are for the rear ones I don't see any place where you
> >can pick between getting 4 for the front wheels or 4 for the back wheels.
> >Anyone have any ideas on this? I've always assumed that each wheel used
> >two pads, so I thought that all 4 wheels would be 8 pads, total. Mostly,
> >I'm confused by the fact that they say it is a set of 4, for both front or
> >rear wheels. If anyone could clue me in by what they mean by this, I
> >would really appreciate it.
> why don't you seek out an automotive newsgroup that focuses on that
> car?
> the motor heads there will surely be able to supply you with all you
> need to know

Probably because special-interest groups are not noted for the frugality
of their solutions.

Slug, is there a Pep Boys near you? We've used their shoes/pads on
several cars and have had no problems. Lifetime warranty, which means
that the set you buy today will be replaced for free when it wears out in
40K miles, and that set will be replaced for free when it wears out in 40K
miles, and that set will be replaced...

It really gripes me that my Sentra went to her grave (smog regs, screw the
State of California) with LOTS of lifetime parts.

--
Cheers,
Bev
"If you see me running, try to keep up."
...Back of bomb technician's shirt

Gary Heston
July 7th 03, 02:43 AM
In article >,
Slugbug > wrote:
> I have a question about auto brake pads. I've sort of been convinced to
>try replacing the brake pads myself, in the hope that I won't stay in the
>habit of always taking it someplace to get this done. I was looking on
>the www.jcwhitney.com website, at item 66669. It is specifically for my
>Buick Century. It says it is a set of 4 brake pads, "for both front or
>both rear wheels". I guess I'm confused by that. The picture shows 2
>smaller pads that I assume are for the front wheels, and two larger ones
>that I would think are for the rear ones I don't see any place where you
>can pick between getting 4 for the front wheels or 4 for the back wheels.
>Anyone have any ideas on this? I've always assumed that each wheel used
>two pads, so I thought that all 4 wheels would be 8 pads, total. Mostly,
>I'm confused by the fact that they say it is a set of 4, for both front or
>rear wheels. If anyone could clue me in by what they mean by this, I
>would really appreciate it.

You use one of each on each wheel--the smaller pad goes on the inside, the
larger on on the outside. The same pads can be used on a number of other
vehicles, depending upon the year of your Buick, including mail trucks...

Gary

--
Gary Heston
PHB: "That's the sort of leadership that will turn this company around."

Gary Heston
July 7th 03, 02:43 AM
In article >,
Slugbug > wrote:
> I have a question about auto brake pads. I've sort of been convinced to
>try replacing the brake pads myself, in the hope that I won't stay in the
>habit of always taking it someplace to get this done. I was looking on
>the www.jcwhitney.com website, at item 66669. It is specifically for my
>Buick Century. It says it is a set of 4 brake pads, "for both front or
>both rear wheels". I guess I'm confused by that. The picture shows 2
>smaller pads that I assume are for the front wheels, and two larger ones
>that I would think are for the rear ones I don't see any place where you
>can pick between getting 4 for the front wheels or 4 for the back wheels.
>Anyone have any ideas on this? I've always assumed that each wheel used
>two pads, so I thought that all 4 wheels would be 8 pads, total. Mostly,
>I'm confused by the fact that they say it is a set of 4, for both front or
>rear wheels. If anyone could clue me in by what they mean by this, I
>would really appreciate it.

You use one of each on each wheel--the smaller pad goes on the inside, the
larger on on the outside. The same pads can be used on a number of other
vehicles, depending upon the year of your Buick, including mail trucks...

Gary

--
Gary Heston
PHB: "That's the sort of leadership that will turn this company around."
Wally: "Were we doing well?"
Dilbert, 5/23/3

Google