PDA

View Full Version : Waldos: How many hidden ads did you see in the July 4 celebrations?

July 6th 03, 10:19 PM
Remember that game of finding Waldo in a picture? There is a modern free
version for frugal-folk. How many hidden and not-so-hidden ads can you find in
a program, on a stretch of highway, or at any USian event.

It was once said that the business of the U.S. government is business. This
televised Washington phourth of July celebration certainly showed it coming
home to roost.

In casual watching of just a few minutes of the program, I saw:

A fireworks ad for Jeep

A fireworks ad for Macy's

Dolly Parton blatantly plugging an upcoming album

Hidden ads in the John Williams tribute for (available on DVD)

Jaws

Star Wars

Raiders and Indiana Jones

I'm sure there were more promos, but after a few minutes I was disgusted,
dazed, and no longer counting. If there was any lingering doubt about business
taking over government, this patriotic message from our sponsors removed it.
phthibbit.

FWIW, many fireworks are legal here in So Florida, and illegal ones are
available as well. I have never heard as many fireworks being set off as I
heard this year. As I stepped outside, it was a continuous buzz, bang, whizz
of fireworks in all directions. The noise began to be continuous before dark
and lasted until midnight, only dying down a little in the last half-hour.

Hooray for the red, white and Macy's. When do we get corporate logos on the
flag?

July 6th 03, 10:55 PM
"Don K" > wrote:

>> Hidden ads in the John Williams tribute for (available on DVD)
>>
>> Jaws
>>
>> Star Wars
>>
>> Raiders and Indiana Jones
>
>Oh come on now. This American composer wrote some pretty
>great music. The Star Wars theme is stirring, feel-good music
>and entirely appropriate to a 4th of July celebration.

I will garnt you that he is popular, and he has a talent for taking themes and
developing them, but I was startled to see video clips from the abovementioned
movies stuck in the middle of the festivities. I don't quite get the
connection between Jaws and the U.S. ... Oh. Maybe I do.

July 6th 03, 10:55 PM
"Don K" > wrote:

>> Hidden ads in the John Williams tribute for (available on DVD)
>>
>> Jaws
>>
>> Star Wars
>>
>> Raiders and Indiana Jones
>
>Oh come on now. This American composer wrote some pretty
>great music. The Star Wars theme is stirring, feel-good music
>and entirely appropriate to a 4th of July celebration.

I will garnt you that he is popular, and he has a talent for taking themes and
developing them, but I was startled to see video clips from the abovementioned
movies stuck in the middle of the festivities. I don't quite get the
connection between Jaws and the U.S. ... Oh. Maybe I do.

The Real Bev

> FWIW, many fireworks are legal here in So Florida, and illegal ones are
> available as well. I have never heard as many fireworks being set off as I
> heard this year. As I stepped outside, it was a continuous buzz, bang, whizz
> of fireworks in all directions. The noise began to be continuous before dark
> and lasted until midnight, only dying down a little in the last half-hour.

I've heard that M-80s can be had, and that if you put one in a can with
the opening at the top it will force the can downward hard enough to put
an imprint of the road in the bottom of the can. I also heard that if you
put the opening of the can downward, it shoots the can into the air,
separating the can into many constituent parts, and if it's a small can it
will be shot a few hundred feet into the air. Also that if you put one in
a bag of trash you can REALLY make a mess.

Or so I've heard.

--
Cheers,
Bev

The Real Bev

> FWIW, many fireworks are legal here in So Florida, and illegal ones are
> available as well. I have never heard as many fireworks being set off as I
> heard this year. As I stepped outside, it was a continuous buzz, bang, whizz
> of fireworks in all directions. The noise began to be continuous before dark
> and lasted until midnight, only dying down a little in the last half-hour.

I've heard that M-80s can be had, and that if you put one in a can with
the opening at the top it will force the can downward hard enough to put
an imprint of the road in the bottom of the can. I also heard that if you
put the opening of the can downward, it shoots the can into the air,
separating the can into many constituent parts, and if it's a small can it
will be shot a few hundred feet into the air. Also that if you put one in
a bag of trash you can REALLY make a mess.

Or so I've heard.

--
Cheers,
Bev
"If you see me running, try to keep up."
...Back of bomb technician's shirt

JoelnCaryn
July 7th 03, 11:24 AM
>Hooray for the red, white and Macy's. When do we get corporate logos on the
>flag?

Adbusters has already worked that one up. But I suppose you know that. :-)

JoelnCaryn
July 7th 03, 11:24 AM
>Hooray for the red, white and Macy's. When do we get corporate logos on the
>flag?

Adbusters has already worked that one up. But I suppose you know that. :-)

JoelnCaryn
July 7th 03, 11:28 AM
>>Oh come on now. This American composer wrote some pretty
>>great music. The Star Wars theme is stirring, feel-good music
>>and entirely appropriate to a 4th of July celebration.
>
>I will garnt you that he is popular, and he has a talent for taking themes

....stunningly like those of other composers...

>and developing them,

:-) (Jaws is the one that really bugs me. Dvorak's 9th is too popular to
crib.)

We played the music from LOTR at the May pops concert. Some of the best modern
composers work primarily in soundtracks these days. (And then there's
Prokoviev, of course.) It isn't necessarily advertising, though the video
clips probably are.

JoelnCaryn
July 7th 03, 11:28 AM
>>Oh come on now. This American composer wrote some pretty
>>great music. The Star Wars theme is stirring, feel-good music
>>and entirely appropriate to a 4th of July celebration.
>
>I will garnt you that he is popular, and he has a talent for taking themes

....stunningly like those of other composers...

>and developing them,

:-) (Jaws is the one that really bugs me. Dvorak's 9th is too popular to
crib.)

We played the music from LOTR at the May pops concert. Some of the best modern
composers work primarily in soundtracks these days. (And then there's
Prokoviev, of course.) It isn't necessarily advertising, though the video
clips probably are.

Dennis
July 7th 03, 06:34 PM
On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 14:42:49 -0700, The Real Bev
> wrote:
>I've heard that M-80s can be had, and that if you put one in a can with
>the opening at the top it will force the can downward hard enough to put
>an imprint of the road in the bottom of the can. I also heard that if you
>put the opening of the can downward, it shoots the can into the air,
>separating the can into many constituent parts, and if it's a small can it
>will be shot a few hundred feet into the air. Also that if you put one in
>a bag of trash you can REALLY make a mess.
>
>Or so I've heard.

Don't know about piddly M-80s and soup cans. But I can tell you that
if you ignite a garbage bag full of acetylene and oxygen under a
barrel made from the bottom 1/3 of a steel 50 gallon oil drum, it will
launch it about 20 feet in the air and bulge the bottom into a
hemisphere shape.

Or so I've heard.

the Dennis formerly known as (evil)

Dennis
July 7th 03, 06:34 PM
On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 14:42:49 -0700, The Real Bev
> wrote:
>I've heard that M-80s can be had, and that if you put one in a can with
>the opening at the top it will force the can downward hard enough to put
>an imprint of the road in the bottom of the can. I also heard that if you
>put the opening of the can downward, it shoots the can into the air,
>separating the can into many constituent parts, and if it's a small can it
>will be shot a few hundred feet into the air. Also that if you put one in
>a bag of trash you can REALLY make a mess.
>
>Or so I've heard.

Don't know about piddly M-80s and soup cans. But I can tell you that
if you ignite a garbage bag full of acetylene and oxygen under a
barrel made from the bottom 1/3 of a steel 50 gallon oil drum, it will
launch it about 20 feet in the air and bulge the bottom into a
hemisphere shape.

Or so I've heard.

the Dennis formerly known as (evil)

JoelnCaryn
July 7th 03, 08:57 PM
>>>Hooray for the red, white and Macy's. When do we get corporate logos on
>the
>>>flag?
>>
>>Adbusters has already worked that one up. But I suppose you know that. :-)
>
>I didn't, and I've never seen or heard of anyone doing this, but I just
>checked
>http://www.adbusters.org/home/
>and the design is almost exactly as I had envisioned it, right down to the
>placement of the Nike logo! I make a bumper sticker out of this.

Email me. I have some toys for you...

JoelnCaryn
July 7th 03, 08:57 PM
>>>Hooray for the red, white and Macy's. When do we get corporate logos on
>the
>>>flag?
>>
>>Adbusters has already worked that one up. But I suppose you know that. :-)
>
>I didn't, and I've never seen or heard of anyone doing this, but I just
>checked
>http://www.adbusters.org/home/
>and the design is almost exactly as I had envisioned it, right down to the
>placement of the Nike logo! I make a bumper sticker out of this.

Email me. I have some toys for you...

Karen Wheless
July 7th 03, 10:24 PM
> > In casual watching of just a few minutes of the program, I saw:
> >
> > Hidden ads in the John Williams tribute for (available on DVD)
> >
> > Star Wars
>
> Oh come on now. This American composer wrote some pretty
> great music. The Star Wars theme is stirring, feel-good music
> and entirely appropriate to a 4th of July celebration.

And also not available on DVD, so probably not intended as an ad.

Karen

Books for Sale!
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze234sc/pages/booksforsale.html

Karen Wheless
July 7th 03, 10:24 PM
> > In casual watching of just a few minutes of the program, I saw:
> >
> > Hidden ads in the John Williams tribute for (available on DVD)
> >
> > Star Wars
>
> Oh come on now. This American composer wrote some pretty
> great music. The Star Wars theme is stirring, feel-good music
> and entirely appropriate to a 4th of July celebration.

And also not available on DVD, so probably not intended as an ad.

Karen

Books for Sale!
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze234sc/pages/booksforsale.html

The Real Bev
July 8th 03, 12:12 AM
JoelnCaryn wrote:

> >Hooray for the red, white and Macy's. When do we get corporate logos on the
> >flag?
>
> Adbusters has already worked that one up. But I suppose you know that. :-)

What was the name of the movie that had post-automotive America run by
some Indians and Nike? (No, I don't know, that's why I'm asking.)

--
Cheers,
Bev

The Real Bev
July 8th 03, 12:12 AM
JoelnCaryn wrote:

> >Hooray for the red, white and Macy's. When do we get corporate logos on the
> >flag?
>
> Adbusters has already worked that one up. But I suppose you know that. :-)

What was the name of the movie that had post-automotive America run by
some Indians and Nike? (No, I don't know, that's why I'm asking.)

--
Cheers,
Bev
"Nothing in the universe can withstand the relentless application
of brute force and ignorance." -- Frd, via Dennis (evil)

JoelnCaryn
July 8th 03, 01:57 PM
>> >Hooray for the red, white and Macy's. When do we get corporate logos on
>the
>> >flag?
>>
>> Adbusters has already worked that one up. But I suppose you know that. :-)
>
>What was the name of the movie that had post-automotive America run by
>some Indians and Nike? (No, I don't know, that's why I'm asking.)

Sounds familiar, but I'm drawing a blank...

JoelnCaryn
July 8th 03, 01:57 PM
>> >Hooray for the red, white and Macy's. When do we get corporate logos on
>the
>> >flag?
>>
>> Adbusters has already worked that one up. But I suppose you know that. :-)
>
>What was the name of the movie that had post-automotive America run by
>some Indians and Nike? (No, I don't know, that's why I'm asking.)

Sounds familiar, but I'm drawing a blank...

Google