PDA

View Full Version : Re: Painting over painted wallpaper??

July 7th 03, 03:02 AM
<trimmed crosspost to 3 relevant groups>

(Roger Redford) wrote:

>I've been trying to get this painted wallpaper
>liner off. But it's been really slow work. It
>took over a day's work to do just one 36 inch section.
>And at least 2 hours to remove the paper above the
>door header. I want the wall to be smooth.

I'm wondering how much you value your time.

FWIW, I would never ever spend that much time trying to save a $5 sheet of
rock. In a day, you could remove all the wallboard in a room completely and be
starting fresh putting up new rock. Another option might be to apply a thin
3/8" wallboard right on top of what is already there. This would give a new
smooth surface and added sound insulation. Double layers are commonly used in
studios and places where sounds need to be deadened. In either case you would
need to know how to mud and tape, unless you hired it done.

Jarkat2002
July 7th 03, 03:11 AM
>Anyway, it turns out that there was in fact an
>original layer of paint. Then a wallpaper liner
>that was painted. (And then another layer of
>wallpaper which I have since removed.)
>
>I've been trying to get this painted wallpaper
>liner off. But it's been really slow work. It
>took over a day's work to do just one 36 inch section.
>And at least 2 hours to remove the paper above the
>door header. I want the wall to be smooth.
>
>I had a thought. A few walls have the painted
>wallpaper attached REALLY well. I was thinking to:
>- remove any loose paint, etc.
>- plaster the wall with a trowel
>- sand smooth
>- repeat if necessary
>- prime with oil based primer
>- then paint
>
>Has anyone tried this? Or dealt with the
>aftermath? What is your experience? Ideas?
>
>Thanks

I had no luck w/ painting wall paper, it didn't take well for me. YMMV of
course.
Have you used a steemer to remove the old? It can be a HUGE help.
Good luck,
~Kat

Planet Claire has pink air
All the trees are red
No one ever dies there
No one has a head

Jarkat2002
July 7th 03, 03:11 AM
>Anyway, it turns out that there was in fact an
>original layer of paint. Then a wallpaper liner
>that was painted. (And then another layer of
>wallpaper which I have since removed.)
>
>I've been trying to get this painted wallpaper
>liner off. But it's been really slow work. It
>took over a day's work to do just one 36 inch section.
>And at least 2 hours to remove the paper above the
>door header. I want the wall to be smooth.
>
>I had a thought. A few walls have the painted
>wallpaper attached REALLY well. I was thinking to:
>- remove any loose paint, etc.
>- plaster the wall with a trowel
>- sand smooth
>- repeat if necessary
>- prime with oil based primer
>- then paint
>
>Has anyone tried this? Or dealt with the
>aftermath? What is your experience? Ideas?
>
>Thanks

I had no luck w/ painting wall paper, it didn't take well for me. YMMV of
course.
Have you used a steemer to remove the old? It can be a HUGE help.
Good luck,
~Kat

Planet Claire has pink air
All the trees are red