PDA

View Full Version : Laundry 101

Jim
July 7th 03, 10:17 PM
I have some old sheets that have been in storage for a while now.
Should I go ahead and wash them in hot water or will warm or even cold
do? Also, would you recommend vinegar or lemon juice for the sheets to
get rid of any smell? Or if neither, what's an inexpensive other
option?

Also, I have some towels that we've been using for the real messy jobs
around the house...stuff like cleaning off oil from auto parts and
grease and the inside of stoves and that sort of thing. What is the
best, but inexpensive, stuff to use to get the grime off (also the
fastest)? And how long if at all can I stick them in the dryer
afterward before I risk flamability issues?

Thanks all. :)

SlinkyToy
July 7th 03, 10:52 PM
Dawn dish detergent is Da Bomb on grease and isn't incredibly expensive.
Fill the washer tub with the hottest water you can produce, dump in about
6oz of Dawn, stir to dissolve, then shove in the towels and let the whole
mess sit for about an hour. Poke occasionally to ensure all towel areas are
exposed to hot detergent-laden water. Spin out, remove the towels, refill
with hot water, add towels, soak for a while, agitate BRIEFLY and spin.
Rinse in cold. If you're succesful in removing all the old oil and grease
the towels won't smell rancid after they're dried. I recommend line-drying
until you're sure they're absolutely clean. You can repeat the detergent
soak as necessary to remove the grease.

Wash the sheets in hot water, rinse in cold. No telling what may be living
in them. Add a half cup of bleach to kill anything and drive out funky
odors. Add a few drops of essential oil of [something] to the rinsewater.
Line dry to be frugal (and the sheets will smell better).

"Jim" > wrote in message
> I have some old sheets that have been in storage for a while now.
> Should I go ahead and wash them in hot water or will warm or even cold
> do? Also, would you recommend vinegar or lemon juice for the sheets to
> get rid of any smell? Or if neither, what's an inexpensive other
> option?
>
> Also, I have some towels that we've been using for the real messy jobs
> around the house...stuff like cleaning off oil from auto parts and
> grease and the inside of stoves and that sort of thing. What is the
> best, but inexpensive, stuff to use to get the grime off (also the
> fastest)? And how long if at all can I stick them in the dryer
> afterward before I risk flamability issues?
>
> Thanks all. :)

Jim
July 7th 03, 11:11 PM
Awesome! That's very helpful. Thanks!

SlinkyToy > wrote in message
. ..
> Dawn dish detergent is Da Bomb on grease and isn't incredibly
expensive.
> Fill the washer tub with the hottest water you can produce, dump in
about
> 6oz of Dawn, stir to dissolve, then shove in the towels and let the
whole
> mess sit for about an hour. Poke occasionally to ensure all towel
areas are
> exposed to hot detergent-laden water. Spin out, remove the towels,
refill
> with hot water, add towels, soak for a while, agitate BRIEFLY and
spin.
> Rinse in cold. If you're succesful in removing all the old oil and
grease
> the towels won't smell rancid after they're dried. I recommend
line-drying
> until you're sure they're absolutely clean. You can repeat the
detergent
> soak as necessary to remove the grease.
>
> Wash the sheets in hot water, rinse in cold. No telling what may be
living
> in them. Add a half cup of bleach to kill anything and drive out
funky
> odors. Add a few drops of essential oil of [something] to the
rinsewater.
> Line dry to be frugal (and the sheets will smell better).
>
> "Jim" > wrote in message
> > I have some old sheets that have been in storage for a while now.
> > Should I go ahead and wash them in hot water or will warm or even
cold
> > do? Also, would you recommend vinegar or lemon juice for the sheets
> > get rid of any smell? Or if neither, what's an inexpensive other
> > option?
> >
> > Also, I have some towels that we've been using for the real messy
jobs
> > around the house...stuff like cleaning off oil from auto parts and
> > grease and the inside of stoves and that sort of thing. What is the
> > best, but inexpensive, stuff to use to get the grime off (also the
> > fastest)? And how long if at all can I stick them in the dryer
> > afterward before I risk flamability issues?
> >
> > Thanks all. :)

Jim
July 7th 03, 11:11 PM
Awesome! That's very helpful. Thanks!

SlinkyToy > wrote in message
. ..
> Dawn dish detergent is Da Bomb on grease and isn't incredibly
expensive.
> Fill the washer tub with the hottest water you can produce, dump in
about
> 6oz of Dawn, stir to dissolve, then shove in the towels and let the
whole
> mess sit for about an hour. Poke occasionally to ensure all towel
areas are
> exposed to hot detergent-laden water. Spin out, remove the towels,
refill
> with hot water, add towels, soak for a while, agitate BRIEFLY and
spin.
> Rinse in cold. If you're succesful in removing all the old oil and
grease
> the towels won't smell rancid after they're dried. I recommend
line-drying
> until you're sure they're absolutely clean. You can repeat the
detergent
> soak as necessary to remove the grease.
>
> Wash the sheets in hot water, rinse in cold. No telling what may be
living
> in them. Add a half cup of bleach to kill anything and drive out
funky
> odors. Add a few drops of essential oil of [something] to the
rinsewater.
> Line dry to be frugal (and the sheets will smell better).
>
> "Jim" > wrote in message
> > I have some old sheets that have been in storage for a while now.
> > Should I go ahead and wash them in hot water or will warm or even
cold
> > do? Also, would you recommend vinegar or lemon juice for the sheets
> > get rid of any smell? Or if neither, what's an inexpensive other
> > option?
> >
> > Also, I have some towels that we've been using for the real messy
jobs
> > around the house...stuff like cleaning off oil from auto parts and
> > grease and the inside of stoves and that sort of thing. What is the
> > best, but inexpensive, stuff to use to get the grime off (also the
> > fastest)? And how long if at all can I stick them in the dryer
> > afterward before I risk flamability issues?
> >
> > Thanks all. :)

Jim
July 7th 03, 11:48 PM
Also, how full would you say you can make the washer without overfilling
and causing problems like the sheets/towels not having enough room to
agitate or the possibility of a spillover? I was thinking something
like 4 full sheet sets on high water. Is that about right or am I
overfilling or under? How full have you had your washer without
affecting how well it works?
SlinkyToy > wrote in message
. ..
> Dawn dish detergent is Da Bomb on grease and isn't incredibly
expensive.
> Fill the washer tub with the hottest water you can produce, dump in
about
> 6oz of Dawn, stir to dissolve, then shove in the towels and let the
whole
> mess sit for about an hour. Poke occasionally to ensure all towel
areas are
> exposed to hot detergent-laden water. Spin out, remove the towels,
refill
> with hot water, add towels, soak for a while, agitate BRIEFLY and
spin.
> Rinse in cold. If you're succesful in removing all the old oil and
grease
> the towels won't smell rancid after they're dried. I recommend
line-drying
> until you're sure they're absolutely clean. You can repeat the
detergent
> soak as necessary to remove the grease.
>
> Wash the sheets in hot water, rinse in cold. No telling what may be
living
> in them. Add a half cup of bleach to kill anything and drive out
funky
> odors. Add a few drops of essential oil of [something] to the
rinsewater.
> Line dry to be frugal (and the sheets will smell better).
>
> "Jim" > wrote in message
> > I have some old sheets that have been in storage for a while now.
> > Should I go ahead and wash them in hot water or will warm or even
cold
> > do? Also, would you recommend vinegar or lemon juice for the sheets
> > get rid of any smell? Or if neither, what's an inexpensive other
> > option?
> >
> > Also, I have some towels that we've been using for the real messy
jobs
> > around the house...stuff like cleaning off oil from auto parts and
> > grease and the inside of stoves and that sort of thing. What is the
> > best, but inexpensive, stuff to use to get the grime off (also the
> > fastest)? And how long if at all can I stick them in the dryer
> > afterward before I risk flamability issues?
> >
> > Thanks all. :)

Jim
July 7th 03, 11:48 PM
Also, how full would you say you can make the washer without overfilling
and causing problems like the sheets/towels not having enough room to
agitate or the possibility of a spillover? I was thinking something
like 4 full sheet sets on high water. Is that about right or am I
overfilling or under? How full have you had your washer without
affecting how well it works?
SlinkyToy > wrote in message
. ..
> Dawn dish detergent is Da Bomb on grease and isn't incredibly
expensive.
> Fill the washer tub with the hottest water you can produce, dump in
about
> 6oz of Dawn, stir to dissolve, then shove in the towels and let the
whole
> mess sit for about an hour. Poke occasionally to ensure all towel
areas are
> exposed to hot detergent-laden water. Spin out, remove the towels,
refill
> with hot water, add towels, soak for a while, agitate BRIEFLY and
spin.
> Rinse in cold. If you're succesful in removing all the old oil and
grease
> the towels won't smell rancid after they're dried. I recommend
line-drying
> until you're sure they're absolutely clean. You can repeat the
detergent
> soak as necessary to remove the grease.
>
> Wash the sheets in hot water, rinse in cold. No telling what may be
living
> in them. Add a half cup of bleach to kill anything and drive out
funky
> odors. Add a few drops of essential oil of [something] to the
rinsewater.
> Line dry to be frugal (and the sheets will smell better).
>
> "Jim" > wrote in message
> > I have some old sheets that have been in storage for a while now.
> > Should I go ahead and wash them in hot water or will warm or even
cold
> > do? Also, would you recommend vinegar or lemon juice for the sheets
> > get rid of any smell? Or if neither, what's an inexpensive other
> > option?
> >
> > Also, I have some towels that we've been using for the real messy
jobs
> > around the house...stuff like cleaning off oil from auto parts and
> > grease and the inside of stoves and that sort of thing. What is the
> > best, but inexpensive, stuff to use to get the grime off (also the
> > fastest)? And how long if at all can I stick them in the dryer
> > afterward before I risk flamability issues?
> >
> > Thanks all. :)

Jim
July 8th 03, 12:15 AM
Sorry about that. My connection locked up and didn't think it sent.

Jim > wrote in message
> Also, how full would you say you can make the washer without
overfilling
> and causing problems like the sheets/towels not having enough room to
> agitate or the possibility of a spillover? I was thinking something
> like 4 full sheet sets on high water. Is that about right or am I
> overfilling or under? How full have you had your washer without
> affecting how well it works?
>
> Jim > wrote in message
> > I have some old sheets that have been in storage for a while now.
> > Should I go ahead and wash them in hot water or will warm or even
cold
> > do? Also, would you recommend vinegar or lemon juice for the sheets
> > get rid of any smell? Or if neither, what's an inexpensive other
> > option?
> >
> > Also, I have some towels that we've been using for the real messy
jobs
> > around the house...stuff like cleaning off oil from auto parts and
> > grease and the inside of stoves and that sort of thing. What is the
> > best, but inexpensive, stuff to use to get the grime off (also the
> > fastest)? And how long if at all can I stick them in the dryer
> > afterward before I risk flamability issues?
> >
> > Thanks all. :)

SlinkyToy
July 8th 03, 04:37 AM
I generally wash one king set and one full set at a time (two beds in the
house) - that's two top and two bottom sheets, plus about a dozen pillow
slips. When in doubt, put in half the laundry you *think* the washer will
handle.

"Jim" > wrote in message
> Also, how full would you say you can make the washer without overfilling
> and causing problems like the sheets/towels not having enough room to
> agitate or the possibility of a spillover? I was thinking something
> like 4 full sheet sets on high water. Is that about right or am I
> overfilling or under? How full have you had your washer without
> affecting how well it works?
>
> Jim > wrote in message
> > I have some old sheets that have been in storage for a while now.
> > Should I go ahead and wash them in hot water or will warm or even cold
> > do? Also, would you recommend vinegar or lemon juice for the sheets
> > get rid of any smell? Or if neither, what's an inexpensive other
> > option?
> >
> > Also, I have some towels that we've been using for the real messy jobs
> > around the house...stuff like cleaning off oil from auto parts and
> > grease and the inside of stoves and that sort of thing. What is the
> > best, but inexpensive, stuff to use to get the grime off (also the
> > fastest)? And how long if at all can I stick them in the dryer
> > afterward before I risk flamability issues?
> >
> > Thanks all. :)

Jim
July 12th 03, 07:54 AM
SlinkyToy > wrote in message
. ..
> Dawn dish detergent is Da Bomb on grease and isn't incredibly
expensive.
> Fill the washer tub with the hottest water you can produce, dump in
about
> 6oz of Dawn, stir to dissolve, then shove in the towels and let the
whole
> mess sit for about an hour. Poke occasionally to ensure all towel
areas are
> exposed to hot detergent-laden water. Spin out, remove the towels,
refill
> with hot water, add towels, soak for a while, agitate BRIEFLY and
spin.
> Rinse in cold. If you're succesful in removing all the old oil and
grease
> the towels won't smell rancid after they're dried. I recommend
line-drying
> until you're sure they're absolutely clean. You can repeat the
detergent
> soak as necessary to remove the grease.
>
> Wash the sheets in hot water, rinse in cold. No telling what may be
living
> in them. Add a half cup of bleach to kill anything and drive out
funky
> odors. Add a few drops of essential oil of [something] to the
rinsewater.
> Line dry to be frugal (and the sheets will smell better).

Ok, how about other bed clothes, like blankets and comforters? Same
advice? Thanks.

> "Jim" > wrote in message
> > I have some old sheets that have been in storage for a while now.
> > Should I go ahead and wash them in hot water or will warm or even
cold
> > do? Also, would you recommend vinegar or lemon juice for the sheets
> > get rid of any smell? Or if neither, what's an inexpensive other
> > option?
> >
> > Also, I have some towels that we've been using for the real messy
jobs
> > around the house...stuff like cleaning off oil from auto parts and
> > grease and the inside of stoves and that sort of thing. What is the
> > best, but inexpensive, stuff to use to get the grime off (also the
> > fastest)? And how long if at all can I stick them in the dryer
> > afterward before I risk flamability issues?
> >
> > Thanks all. :)

Jim
July 12th 03, 07:54 AM
SlinkyToy > wrote in message
. ..
> Dawn dish detergent is Da Bomb on grease and isn't incredibly
expensive.
> Fill the washer tub with the hottest water you can produce, dump in
about
> 6oz of Dawn, stir to dissolve, then shove in the towels and let the
whole
> mess sit for about an hour. Poke occasionally to ensure all towel
areas are
> exposed to hot detergent-laden water. Spin out, remove the towels,
refill
> with hot water, add towels, soak for a while, agitate BRIEFLY and
spin.
> Rinse in cold. If you're succesful in removing all the old oil and
grease
> the towels won't smell rancid after they're dried. I recommend
line-drying
> until you're sure they're absolutely clean. You can repeat the
detergent
> soak as necessary to remove the grease.
>
> Wash the sheets in hot water, rinse in cold. No telling what may be
living
> in them. Add a half cup of bleach to kill anything and drive out
funky
> odors. Add a few drops of essential oil of [something] to the
rinsewater.
> Line dry to be frugal (and the sheets will smell better).

Ok, how about other bed clothes, like blankets and comforters? Same
advice? Thanks.

> "Jim" > wrote in message
> > I have some old sheets that have been in storage for a while now.
> > Should I go ahead and wash them in hot water or will warm or even
cold
> > do? Also, would you recommend vinegar or lemon juice for the sheets
> > get rid of any smell? Or if neither, what's an inexpensive other
> > option?
> >
> > Also, I have some towels that we've been using for the real messy
jobs
> > around the house...stuff like cleaning off oil from auto parts and
> > grease and the inside of stoves and that sort of thing. What is the
> > best, but inexpensive, stuff to use to get the grime off (also the
> > fastest)? And how long if at all can I stick them in the dryer
> > afterward before I risk flamability issues?
> >
> > Thanks all. :)

Google