PDA

View Full Version : Notebook death

July 7th 03, 10:37 PM
My first notebook died a long time ago from UPS handling. 'nuff said on that
one. My more recent older notebook just lost most of the functionality because
the hinges that open and close the screen froze up. I thought at first that
the plastic was just getting brittle and the nut inserts that hold the hinge
end had broken free on one side, but after trying to epoxy them back in place
and then using some contact cleaner/lubricant to attempt to make the mechanisms
work smoother, gently opening and closing the lid a couple of times, both
hinges broke loose. Crap.

I have another newer laptop, but it has no serial port and my Sprint
cellphone/laptop connection won't work with Win XP and a USB serial port
adapter, even when I tell the adapter to go into legacy mode. More crap.
Sprint doesn't have a software upgrade to XP and wants to sell me an additional
$80/month service instead of the $5/mo add-on I have for connecting to the net
on the road. I think not.

Looks like I'll be getting a wooden dowel and drilling the case of the old
laptop to make hillbilly hinges. I wonder how funky a wooden laptop would
look?

If you have had a laptop that failed, what killed it? The hinges on mine
failed from lack of lubrication, but after dissecting the area, I can't see any
possible way they could be properly lubricated without breaking open the case.
Planned obsolescence.

(This has not been a good month for hardware and me. Loss or damage to the
laptop, color la$er printer, multifunction laser printer, and two computers.)

Dennis
July 7th 03, 11:47 PM
On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 20:37:55 GMT, wrote:

>(This has not been a good month for hardware and me. Loss or damage to the
>laptop, color la$er printer, multifunction laser printer, and two computers.)

Two words: Duct Tape.

the Dennis formerly known as (evil)