PDA

View Full Version : Re: Price for a Budget motel?

Lee K
July 8th 03, 05:47 AM
The problem is the time of year: everyone else is there leaf-peeping in
October. I just went to the Motel 6 web site and entered dates in October
for Portland and got 69.99. Change the dates to November and it's 39.99
for the same motel. Simply supply and demand.

"Harri85274" > wrote in message
> Has anyone any idea what is considered a budget price at a budget motel
these
> days, especially for a senior? I usually travel to maine in October to
visit
> friends and the foliage. Been doing that for years. Each year i stay at a
> Motel6 near the airport of Portland. Now for the past 5 years it seems
that
> they keep raising the price by 2 to 10 dollars a year. What was considered
> good budget price of $45 for the same room is now going for $69. At this
rate,
> $100 a night at a budget motel, is inevitable and to me no longer a budget
> price. On top of this, they even allow the maids to leave an envelope for
> tip. Why don't they increase the maids pay with the increase they get from
us?
> Seems like at this rate, I'm going to have to stop traveling. American
airlines
> is asking for something like 329 for a rt from ny to portland, and thats
on a
> prop plane, no less.

R.White
July 8th 03, 02:08 PM
(Harri85274) wrote in message >...
> Has anyone any idea what is considered a budget price at a budget motel these
> days, especially for a senior? I usually travel to maine in October to visit
> friends and the foliage. Been doing that for years. Each year i stay at a
> Motel6 near the airport of Portland. Now for the past 5 years it seems that
> they keep raising the price by 2 to 10 dollars a year. What was considered a
> good budget price of $45 for the same room is now going for $69. At this rate,
> $100 a night at a budget motel, is inevitable and to me no longer a budget
> price. On top of this, they even allow the maids to leave an envelope for a
> tip. Why don't they increase the maids pay with the increase they get from us?
> Seems like at this rate, I'm going to have to stop traveling. American airlines
> is asking for something like 329 for a rt from ny to portland, and thats on a
> prop plane, no less.

Why not read the same thread on this that you started last October
under the name Wishy13764?

From: Wishy13764 )
Subject: Motel prices keep going up
Original Format
Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
Date: 2002-10-17 15:58:34 PST

Each year at the same time ( Oct ) I go to maine, mainly for the foliage. I
usually go to one motel to another each day, and most of the time, the same
ones I've visited previously. Each year I find for the same room the price has
increased. Last year I went to this one, that charged $46 with aarp discount
This year, that same room is now $59, $57 with aarp discount. Not the slightest
improvement has been made..in fact, the room has those small heaters. The
heater I had, had a 'short'. It would only work, facing down towards the floor.
When you try to level it, it stops running. If that isn't bad enough, the maid
leaves an envelope for a 'tip'. I use to leave a tip, but if the greedy owners
increase their prices, why don't they increase the maids worth.? Whatever
became of budget motels...they're getting close to $100 at the rate they'r
going now.

R.White
July 8th 03, 02:08 PM

From: Wishy13764 )
Original Format
Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
Date: 2002-10-17 15:58:34 PST

[...]

dnrg
July 8th 03, 03:11 PM
"Lee K" > wrote in message >...
> The problem is the time of year: everyone else is there leaf-peeping in

The best hotel deal I ever got was this winter in Pigeon Forge,
Tennessee (very close to the Smoky Mtns Nat'l Park). I stayed at a
newish Econolodge for $18.95 a night. An amazing bargain. Many of the
places in town, at that time, were offering incredible bargains; e.g.
luxurious rooms including a hot tub for around $40/night.

In the summer, the Pigeon Forge Econolodge rate skyrockets to
something like $80/night. Incidentally, the Econolodge even beat out
the Pigeon Forge Motel 6 (which, by the way, is brand-spanking new, or
looks like it is).

It's strange with Motel 6; sometimes you get a terrific bargain in a
newer or recently renovated property; other times, you pay the same
price for a run-down Motel 6 in a scary area. That's why I really hate
booking in advance without seeing exterior shots of a place and/or
knowing the neighborhood a motel is in. Always helps to ask others for
advice on specific motels in an area. Some Econolodges are real dumps,
but the one I stayed in was very nice for what it was. Clean, modern,
quiet, convenient, and cheap as it could conceivably be.

You've really got to do a little homework on the ground to find the
best place. I always ask to see a room before I plunk money down. This
is especially critical, say, in a place like Myrtle Beach, SC. There
are tons of luxury-looking high-rise hotels on the beach advertising
low rates. Many look great from the outside, but you ask to see a room
and find the rooms reek of smoke and other stuff, have shabby rugs,
grotty bathroom tiles, etc. Appalling. Always ask to see a room before
you say "I'll take it."

- Dana

dnrg
July 8th 03, 03:11 PM
"Lee K" > wrote in message >...
> The problem is the time of year: everyone else is there leaf-peeping in

The best hotel deal I ever got was this winter in Pigeon Forge,
Tennessee (very close to the Smoky Mtns Nat'l Park). I stayed at a
newish Econolodge for $18.95 a night. An amazing bargain. Many of the
places in town, at that time, were offering incredible bargains; e.g.
luxurious rooms including a hot tub for around $40/night.

In the summer, the Pigeon Forge Econolodge rate skyrockets to
something like $80/night. Incidentally, the Econolodge even beat out
the Pigeon Forge Motel 6 (which, by the way, is brand-spanking new, or
looks like it is).

It's strange with Motel 6; sometimes you get a terrific bargain in a
newer or recently renovated property; other times, you pay the same
price for a run-down Motel 6 in a scary area. That's why I really hate
booking in advance without seeing exterior shots of a place and/or
knowing the neighborhood a motel is in. Always helps to ask others for
advice on specific motels in an area. Some Econolodges are real dumps,
but the one I stayed in was very nice for what it was. Clean, modern,
quiet, convenient, and cheap as it could conceivably be.

You've really got to do a little homework on the ground to find the
best place. I always ask to see a room before I plunk money down. This
is especially critical, say, in a place like Myrtle Beach, SC. There
are tons of luxury-looking high-rise hotels on the beach advertising
low rates. Many look great from the outside, but you ask to see a room
and find the rooms reek of smoke and other stuff, have shabby rugs,
grotty bathroom tiles, etc. Appalling. Always ask to see a room before
you say "I'll take it."

- Dana

Bill
July 8th 03, 04:43 PM
Larger cities have old run-down hotels which rent by the week. Bathroom is
down the hall, don't have maid service, etc. These are no longer hotels and
don't take reservations. Just drive/walk around in the downtown area until
you see some seedy people hanging out in front of one. These might be
around $100 a week. They want cash and don't take charge cards. Move a
piece of furniture against the door at night for additional security....

"Harri85274" wrote in message
> Has anyone any idea what is considered a budget price at a budget motel
these
> days, especially for a senior? I usually travel to maine in October to
visit
> friends and the foliage. Been doing that for years. Each year i stay at a
> Motel6 near the airport of Portland. Now for the past 5 years it seems
that
> they keep raising the price by 2 to 10 dollars a year. What was
considered a
> good budget price of $45 for the same room is now going for $69. At this
rate,
> $100 a night at a budget motel, is inevitable and to me no longer a
budget
> price. On top of this, they even allow the maids to leave an envelope for
> tip. Why don't they increase the maids pay with the increase they get
from us?
> Seems like at this rate, I'm going to have to stop traveling. American
airlines
> is asking for something like 329 for a rt from ny to portland, and thats
on a
> prop plane, no less.

Bill
July 8th 03, 04:43 PM
Larger cities have old run-down hotels which rent by the week. Bathroom is
down the hall, don't have maid service, etc. These are no longer hotels and
don't take reservations. Just drive/walk around in the downtown area until
you see some seedy people hanging out in front of one. These might be
around $100 a week. They want cash and don't take charge cards. Move a
piece of furniture against the door at night for additional security....

"Harri85274" wrote in message
> Has anyone any idea what is considered a budget price at a budget motel
these
> days, especially for a senior? I usually travel to maine in October to
visit
> friends and the foliage. Been doing that for years. Each year i stay at a
> Motel6 near the airport of Portland. Now for the past 5 years it seems
that
> they keep raising the price by 2 to 10 dollars a year. What was
considered a
> good budget price of $45 for the same room is now going for $69. At this
rate,
> $100 a night at a budget motel, is inevitable and to me no longer a
budget
> price. On top of this, they even allow the maids to leave an envelope for
> tip. Why don't they increase the maids pay with the increase they get
from us?
> Seems like at this rate, I'm going to have to stop traveling. American
airlines
> is asking for something like 329 for a rt from ny to portland, and thats
on a
> prop plane, no less.

lpogoda
July 8th 03, 06:27 PM
(Harri85274) wrote in message >...
> Has anyone any idea what is considered a budget price at a budget motel these
> days,

What does it matter what I think a budget motel should cost? You're
going to end up paying what the motel thinks is a budget price, after
all.

> especially for a senior?

Don't see why a senior would matter - older people take up just as
much room, use the same number of bedsheets, take as many showers. If
you get a discount, it just makes the price higher for me.

> I usually travel to maine in October to visit
> friends and the foliage. Been doing that for years. Each year i stay at a
> Motel6 near the airport of Portland. Now for the past 5 years it seems that
> they keep raising the price by 2 to 10 dollars a year. What was considered a
> good budget price of $45 for the same room is now going for $69. At this rate,
> $100 a night at a budget motel, is inevitable and to me no longer a budget
> price. On top of this, they even allow the maids to leave an envelope for a
> tip. Why don't they increase the maids pay with the increase they get from us?
> Seems like at this rate, I'm going to have to stop traveling.

Or get a part-time job.

> American airlines
> is asking for something like 329 for a rt from ny to portland, and thats on a
> prop plane, no less.

Take the bus. With the money you save, pay the motel bill.

lpogoda
July 8th 03, 06:27 PM
(Harri85274) wrote in message >...
> Has anyone any idea what is considered a budget price at a budget motel these
> days,

What does it matter what I think a budget motel should cost? You're
going to end up paying what the motel thinks is a budget price, after
all.

> especially for a senior?

Don't see why a senior would matter - older people take up just as
much room, use the same number of bedsheets, take as many showers. If
you get a discount, it just makes the price higher for me.

> I usually travel to maine in October to visit
> friends and the foliage. Been doing that for years. Each year i stay at a
> Motel6 near the airport of Portland. Now for the past 5 years it seems that
> they keep raising the price by 2 to 10 dollars a year. What was considered a
> good budget price of $45 for the same room is now going for $69. At this rate,
> $100 a night at a budget motel, is inevitable and to me no longer a budget
> price. On top of this, they even allow the maids to leave an envelope for a
> tip. Why don't they increase the maids pay with the increase they get from us?
> Seems like at this rate, I'm going to have to stop traveling.

Or get a part-time job.

> American airlines
> is asking for something like 329 for a rt from ny to portland, and thats on a
> prop plane, no less.

Take the bus. With the money you save, pay the motel bill.

ares
July 8th 03, 11:58 PM
I was just in a brand new Motel 6 in Orlando at a weekly rate that works to
$31 per night; guess that chain seems to come up as the cheapest in this
thread. I also noticed that this is the first time I stayed anywhere that
they didn't come in and make the bed and change the towels daily; that must
be where the low rates are achieved. I was fine with that and if you needed
more towels you could go to the front desk I guess. We were at the last
sheet of toilet paper on the day they came in to clean up. Wish I knew why
there were several cop cars out there on 2 different occasions; it was off
I-drive.
ares

"dnrg" > wrote in message
m...
> "Lee K" > wrote in message
> > The problem is the time of year: everyone else is there leaf-peeping in
>
> The best hotel deal I ever got was this winter in Pigeon Forge,
> Tennessee (very close to the Smoky Mtns Nat'l Park). I stayed at a
> newish Econolodge for $18.95 a night. An amazing bargain. Many of the
> places in town, at that time, were offering incredible bargains; e.g.
> luxurious rooms including a hot tub for around $40/night.
>
> In the summer, the Pigeon Forge Econolodge rate skyrockets to
> something like $80/night. Incidentally, the Econolodge even beat out
> the Pigeon Forge Motel 6 (which, by the way, is brand-spanking new, or
> looks like it is).
>
> It's strange with Motel 6; sometimes you get a terrific bargain in a
> newer or recently renovated property; other times, you pay the same
> price for a run-down Motel 6 in a scary area. That's why I really hate
> booking in advance without seeing exterior shots of a place and/or
> knowing the neighborhood a motel is in. Always helps to ask others for
> advice on specific motels in an area. Some Econolodges are real dumps,
> but the one I stayed in was very nice for what it was. Clean, modern,
> quiet, convenient, and cheap as it could conceivably be.
>
> You've really got to do a little homework on the ground to find the
> best place. I always ask to see a room before I plunk money down. This
> is especially critical, say, in a place like Myrtle Beach, SC. There
> are tons of luxury-looking high-rise hotels on the beach advertising
> low rates. Many look great from the outside, but you ask to see a room
> and find the rooms reek of smoke and other stuff, have shabby rugs,
> grotty bathroom tiles, etc. Appalling. Always ask to see a room before
> you say "I'll take it."
>
> - Dana

ares
July 8th 03, 11:58 PM
I was just in a brand new Motel 6 in Orlando at a weekly rate that works to
$31 per night; guess that chain seems to come up as the cheapest in this
thread. I also noticed that this is the first time I stayed anywhere that
they didn't come in and make the bed and change the towels daily; that must
be where the low rates are achieved. I was fine with that and if you needed
more towels you could go to the front desk I guess. We were at the last
sheet of toilet paper on the day they came in to clean up. Wish I knew why
there were several cop cars out there on 2 different occasions; it was off
I-drive.
ares

"dnrg" > wrote in message
m...
> "Lee K" > wrote in message
> > The problem is the time of year: everyone else is there leaf-peeping in
>
> The best hotel deal I ever got was this winter in Pigeon Forge,
> Tennessee (very close to the Smoky Mtns Nat'l Park). I stayed at a
> newish Econolodge for $18.95 a night. An amazing bargain. Many of the
> places in town, at that time, were offering incredible bargains; e.g.
> luxurious rooms including a hot tub for around $40/night.
>
> In the summer, the Pigeon Forge Econolodge rate skyrockets to
> something like $80/night. Incidentally, the Econolodge even beat out
> the Pigeon Forge Motel 6 (which, by the way, is brand-spanking new, or
> looks like it is).
>
> It's strange with Motel 6; sometimes you get a terrific bargain in a
> newer or recently renovated property; other times, you pay the same
> price for a run-down Motel 6 in a scary area. That's why I really hate
> booking in advance without seeing exterior shots of a place and/or
> knowing the neighborhood a motel is in. Always helps to ask others for
> advice on specific motels in an area. Some Econolodges are real dumps,
> but the one I stayed in was very nice for what it was. Clean, modern,
> quiet, convenient, and cheap as it could conceivably be.
>
> You've really got to do a little homework on the ground to find the
> best place. I always ask to see a room before I plunk money down. This
> is especially critical, say, in a place like Myrtle Beach, SC. There
> are tons of luxury-looking high-rise hotels on the beach advertising
> low rates. Many look great from the outside, but you ask to see a room
> and find the rooms reek of smoke and other stuff, have shabby rugs,
> grotty bathroom tiles, etc. Appalling. Always ask to see a room before
> you say "I'll take it."
>
> - Dana

Ben Hutchings
July 9th 03, 01:51 AM
In article >,
lpogoda wrote:
> (Harri85274) wrote in message
<snip>
>> American airlines is asking for something like 329 for a rt from ny
>> to portland, and thats on a prop plane, no less.
>
> Take the bus. With the money you save, pay the motel bill.

The bus is certainly cheap, but not much fun for a long journey. It's
generally possible to get lower air fares by checking multiple travel
web sites (Travelocity, Flights.com, Orbitz, etc.), looking at budget
airlines (they may offer some fares only via their own web sites;
certainly Southwest does), considering less popular airports and
different days of the week, and booking in advance.

Flights.com says there are flights from Newark for about $50 less, by
the way.

--
Ben Hutchings | personal web site: http://womble.decadentplace.org.uk/
Unix is many things to many people,

Ben Hutchings
July 9th 03, 01:51 AM
In article >,
lpogoda wrote:
> (Harri85274) wrote in message
<snip>
>> American airlines is asking for something like 329 for a rt from ny
>> to portland, and thats on a prop plane, no less.
>
> Take the bus. With the money you save, pay the motel bill.

The bus is certainly cheap, but not much fun for a long journey. It's
generally possible to get lower air fares by checking multiple travel
web sites (Travelocity, Flights.com, Orbitz, etc.), looking at budget
airlines (they may offer some fares only via their own web sites;
certainly Southwest does), considering less popular airports and
different days of the week, and booking in advance.

Flights.com says there are flights from Newark for about $50 less, by
the way.

--
Ben Hutchings | personal web site: http://womble.decadentplace.org.uk/
Unix is many things to many people,
but it's never been everything to anybody.

Karen Wheless
July 9th 03, 03:44 AM
> I was just in a brand new Motel 6 in Orlando at a weekly rate that works to
> $31 per night; guess that chain seems to come up as the cheapest in this
> thread. I also noticed that this is the first time I stayed anywhere that
> they didn't come in and make the bed and change the towels daily; that must
> be where the low rates are achieved.

If you're going to be staying for more than a couple of days, the
Extended Stay hotels (or one of the various similar chains) are also a
good deal. For weekly guests, they only change the sheets and towels
and clean the room twice a week. They also don't have round-the-clock
office staff, I stayed at one over the weekend and had to be let in by
the night janitorial staff when I arrived a little past midnight (which
was arranged in advance over the phone). They're pretty cheap for a
room that has a full kitchen - as cheap as Motel 6 in some places.

Karen

Books for Sale!
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze234sc/pages/booksforsale.html

Karen Wheless
July 9th 03, 03:44 AM
> I was just in a brand new Motel 6 in Orlando at a weekly rate that works to
> $31 per night; guess that chain seems to come up as the cheapest in this
> thread. I also noticed that this is the first time I stayed anywhere that
> they didn't come in and make the bed and change the towels daily; that must
> be where the low rates are achieved.

If you're going to be staying for more than a couple of days, the
Extended Stay hotels (or one of the various similar chains) are also a
good deal. For weekly guests, they only change the sheets and towels
and clean the room twice a week. They also don't have round-the-clock
office staff, I stayed at one over the weekend and had to be let in by
the night janitorial staff when I arrived a little past midnight (which
was arranged in advance over the phone). They're pretty cheap for a
room that has a full kitchen - as cheap as Motel 6 in some places.

Karen

Books for Sale!
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze234sc/pages/booksforsale.html

Karen Wheless
July 9th 03, 06:40 PM
> In Europe, it's different--the cheaper places, often with perfectly
> respectable clientele, do have bathrooms down the hall

There are a couple of reasonably nice hotels in NYC that have bathrooms
down the hall. But I think that's the exception - NYC prices are so
expensive that people are willing to put up with inconvenience for a
reasonable price. In most parts of the country, motels are cheap enough
that no one needs to find a cheaper alternative to Motel 6. A traveler
on a budget is more likely to drive down the road to find a cheaper
motel than give up his own bathroom. (Cars also being extremely common
outside of a few large cities.)

And the idea of a flophouse in the "Bowery" is somewhat dated - that
hotel is probably going for $200 a night these days.

Karen

Karen Wheless
July 9th 03, 06:40 PM
> In Europe, it's different--the cheaper places, often with perfectly
> respectable clientele, do have bathrooms down the hall

There are a couple of reasonably nice hotels in NYC that have bathrooms
down the hall. But I think that's the exception - NYC prices are so
expensive that people are willing to put up with inconvenience for a
reasonable price. In most parts of the country, motels are cheap enough
that no one needs to find a cheaper alternative to Motel 6. A traveler
on a budget is more likely to drive down the road to find a cheaper
motel than give up his own bathroom. (Cars also being extremely common
outside of a few large cities.)

And the idea of a flophouse in the "Bowery" is somewhat dated - that
hotel is probably going for $200 a night these days.

Karen

Google