PDA

View Full Version : Re: Roomba--not frugal?

July 8th 03, 05:41 PM

>Okay, a Roomba (automatic floor vacuum) isn't exactly frugal, but
>oh, do I love it.

Are you serious abt liking one of these?

Ive REALLY been wanting to buy one is why I ask

myname
July 8th 03, 10:50 PM
"Bonita and/or William F. Kale" > wrote in message >...
> Okay, a Roomba (automatic floor vacuum) isn't exactly frugal, but
> oh, do I love it. I spent $200 at Target rather than $160 on
> eBay, because I was afraid I'd want to bring it back, but no
> way.
>[snip]
> There must be -some- way it's frugal. Compared to a maid,
> maybe?
>
> Actually, what I'm hoping is that I'll have a cleaner house, not
> a huge ambition.

I have some serious concerns about people using these things.

There's nothing wrong with it or anything, but the problem is, it
doesn't clean your carpet very well. It just picks up whatever dirt
is on the surface, and doesn't deep clean it at all.

If people only use the roomba and don't use a regular vaccuum cleaner,
I suspect that their carpets will become permanently soiled and ruined
much faster than they normally would have.

If you're going to use the roomba, make sure you still vaccuum with a
real vaccuum cleaner on a regular basis, if you want to keep your
carpets in good condition.

myname
July 8th 03, 10:50 PM
"Bonita and/or William F. Kale" > wrote in message >...
> Okay, a Roomba (automatic floor vacuum) isn't exactly frugal, but
> oh, do I love it. I spent $200 at Target rather than $160 on
> eBay, because I was afraid I'd want to bring it back, but no
> way.
>[snip]
> There must be -some- way it's frugal. Compared to a maid,
> maybe?
>
> Actually, what I'm hoping is that I'll have a cleaner house, not
> a huge ambition.

I have some serious concerns about people using these things.

There's nothing wrong with it or anything, but the problem is, it
doesn't clean your carpet very well. It just picks up whatever dirt
is on the surface, and doesn't deep clean it at all.

If people only use the roomba and don't use a regular vaccuum cleaner,
I suspect that their carpets will become permanently soiled and ruined
much faster than they normally would have.

If you're going to use the roomba, make sure you still vaccuum with a
real vaccuum cleaner on a regular basis, if you want to keep your
carpets in good condition.

Nicole H
July 8th 03, 10:53 PM
I have 3 big short hair dogs... wonder how it'd work with them?

Nicole
"Pat Meadows" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 09:04:14 -0400, "Bonita and/or William
> F. Kale" > wrote:
>

> >There must be -some- way it's frugal. Compared to a maid,
> >maybe?
>
> Most certainly - even compared to a twice-a-month cleaning
> person. The cleaning person would do more, but less often.
> Maybe the roomba enables you to do the other stuff because
> you're not always having to sweep and Swiffer the floors.
>
> >Actually, what I'm hoping is that I'll have a cleaner house, not
> >a huge ambition.
>
> Sounds good to me, I'd get one if I could afford it.
>
> I'm not sure if it could keep up with the fur from a rough
> collie and as well as another long-furred dog, though.
>
> Pat

Nicole H
July 8th 03, 10:53 PM
I have 3 big short hair dogs... wonder how it'd work with them?

Nicole
"Pat Meadows" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 09:04:14 -0400, "Bonita and/or William
> F. Kale" > wrote:
>

> >There must be -some- way it's frugal. Compared to a maid,
> >maybe?
>
> Most certainly - even compared to a twice-a-month cleaning
> person. The cleaning person would do more, but less often.
> Maybe the roomba enables you to do the other stuff because
> you're not always having to sweep and Swiffer the floors.
>
> >Actually, what I'm hoping is that I'll have a cleaner house, not
> >a huge ambition.
>
> Sounds good to me, I'd get one if I could afford it.
>
> I'm not sure if it could keep up with the fur from a rough
> collie and as well as another long-furred dog, though.
>
> Pat

Dennis
July 8th 03, 11:43 PM
On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 20:53:41 GMT, "Nicole H"
> wrote:

>I have 3 big short hair dogs... wonder how it'd work with them?

Even if they would lie still for it, I doubt that the Roomba could
make it over them.

the Dennis formerly known as (evil)

Dennis
July 8th 03, 11:43 PM
On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 20:53:41 GMT, "Nicole H"
> wrote:

>I have 3 big short hair dogs... wonder how it'd work with them?

Even if they would lie still for it, I doubt that the Roomba could
make it over them.

the Dennis formerly known as (evil)

Chloe
July 9th 03, 01:55 AM
"Bonita and/or William F. Kale" > wrote in message

> Okay, a Roomba (automatic floor vacuum) isn't exactly frugal, but
> oh, do I love it. I spent $200 at Target rather than $160 on
> eBay, because I was afraid I'd want to bring it back, but no
> way.
>
> This thing does for floor sweeping what automatic washers do for
> laundry; you can set it and forget it, and later the floor is
> swept.
<snip>

Bonita, I know from reading your posts over the years you're not the type to
be sucked in by advertising hype so I take your recommendation pretty
seriously. I'm curious, is this the same device that the gadgety catalogs
were selling for $400 last holiday season? Also is there some accessory I
have to buy to keep the little guy from tumbling down the stairs?

We do have carpet and we have an ongoing problem with the cats tracking bits
of litter onto it. (Btw, apropos of the other thread I've switched to the
wheat-based litter which is not cheap but seems to do an excellent job). I
hate hauling out the sweeper just because of the litter, but otherwise the
carpet looks messy after just a day or two. The particles are rather
lightweight, I think lighter than clay litter. Wonder how it would do
picking them up?

Chloe
July 9th 03, 01:55 AM
"Bonita and/or William F. Kale" > wrote in message

> Okay, a Roomba (automatic floor vacuum) isn't exactly frugal, but
> oh, do I love it. I spent $200 at Target rather than $160 on
> eBay, because I was afraid I'd want to bring it back, but no
> way.
>
> This thing does for floor sweeping what automatic washers do for
> laundry; you can set it and forget it, and later the floor is
> swept.
<snip>

Bonita, I know from reading your posts over the years you're not the type to
be sucked in by advertising hype so I take your recommendation pretty
seriously. I'm curious, is this the same device that the gadgety catalogs
were selling for $400 last holiday season? Also is there some accessory I
have to buy to keep the little guy from tumbling down the stairs?

We do have carpet and we have an ongoing problem with the cats tracking bits
of litter onto it. (Btw, apropos of the other thread I've switched to the
wheat-based litter which is not cheap but seems to do an excellent job). I
hate hauling out the sweeper just because of the litter, but otherwise the
carpet looks messy after just a day or two. The particles are rather
lightweight, I think lighter than clay litter. Wonder how it would do
picking them up?

Nicole H
July 9th 03, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the heads up Dennis! LOL

Nicole

> >I have 3 big short hair dogs... wonder how it'd work with them?
>
> Even if they would lie still for it, I doubt that the Roomba could
> make it over them.

Nicole H
July 9th 03, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the heads up Dennis! LOL

Nicole

> >I have 3 big short hair dogs... wonder how it'd work with them?
>
> Even if they would lie still for it, I doubt that the Roomba could
> make it over them.

July 9th 03, 01:57 PM
(myname) wrote in message >...

> I have some serious concerns about people using these things.
>
> There's nothing wrong with it or anything, but the problem is, it
> doesn't clean your carpet very well. It just picks up whatever dirt
> is on the surface, and doesn't deep clean it at all.
>
> If people only use the roomba and don't use a regular vaccuum cleaner,
> I suspect that their carpets will become permanently soiled and ruined
> much faster than they normally would have.
>
> If you're going to use the roomba, make sure you still vaccuum with a
> real vaccuum cleaner on a regular basis, if you want to keep your
> carpets in good condition.

My wife alternates the roomba with vaccuuming. She just vaccuums half
as often as before, and mostly in corners. The roomba does a
surprisingly good job.

July 9th 03, 01:57 PM
(myname) wrote in message >...

> I have some serious concerns about people using these things.
>
> There's nothing wrong with it or anything, but the problem is, it
> doesn't clean your carpet very well. It just picks up whatever dirt
> is on the surface, and doesn't deep clean it at all.
>
> If people only use the roomba and don't use a regular vaccuum cleaner,
> I suspect that their carpets will become permanently soiled and ruined
> much faster than they normally would have.
>
> If you're going to use the roomba, make sure you still vaccuum with a
> real vaccuum cleaner on a regular basis, if you want to keep your
> carpets in good condition.

My wife alternates the roomba with vaccuuming. She just vaccuums half
as often as before, and mostly in corners. The roomba does a
surprisingly good job.

Bonita and/or William F. Kale
July 9th 03, 03:06 PM
Well, I have had it less than a week, but there are a lot of
reviews online, also. I saw it in _Smart Computing_ magazine at
work; I've never seen it on TV, though some other people at work
have.

It has trouble with fringe (we have Oriental-type rugs), so I
couldn't, for instance, leave it going in the living room and go
away; if I did, it would get caught in the fringe, stop, beep a
while, and turn itself off.

And it's not supposed to work too well on long dog hairs (short
ones are okay). It doesn't replace a vacuum cleaner. But, truth
to tell, I put off vacuuming so badly, that -anything- is an
improvement.

It doesn't have any trouble with low thresholds, or with the
unfringed edges of heavy rugs, but it isn't good on little mats
and things, tends to roll them up. There's an old thick pile
carpet in one bedroom; it can't do that, either.

I'm going to roll up some rugs and set it to doing the floors
underneath, another chore I put off a lot.

The battery takes 12 hours to charge from fully discharged, and
you charge it while it's in the machine (I don't know why, but
that's how it's set up). Basically, you plug it in overnight,
and run it for an hour and a half the next day or whenever.

If it broke, I'd buy another, and I can't say better than that
about any appliance. (But I really, really -hate- vacuuming.)

If people buy it, improved models will come out eventually. If
people don't buy it, it will probably go the way of my beloved
old Sears gas stove with the electric oven, which was produced
only for a few years and then disappeared from the market.

Bonita

By the way, it's 3.5 inches high; it can nudge its way under
kitchen cabinets and chairs and beds.

It doesn't fall downstairs. It looks as if it would, but at the
last minute, it turns around. Someone online said that in really
bright sunlight, it will miss the edge and fall over.

It comes with an infrared light beam device that will stop it
from going where you don't want it to go.

Chloe wrote:

> "Bonita and/or William F. Kale" > wrote in message
> >
> > Okay, a Roomba (automatic floor vacuum) isn't exactly frugal, but
> > oh, do I love it. I spent $200 at Target rather than $160 on
> > eBay, because I was afraid I'd want to bring it back, but no
> > way.
> >
> > This thing does for floor sweeping what automatic washers do for
> > laundry; you can set it and forget it, and later the floor is
> > swept.
> <snip>
>
> Bonita, I know from reading your posts over the years you're not the type to
> be sucked in by advertising hype so I take your recommendation pretty
> seriously. I'm curious, is this the same device that the gadgety catalogs
> were selling for $400 last holiday season? Also is there some accessory I
> have to buy to keep the little guy from tumbling down the stairs?
>
> We do have carpet and we have an ongoing problem with the cats tracking bits
> of litter onto it. (Btw, apropos of the other thread I've switched to the
> wheat-based litter which is not cheap but seems to do an excellent job). I
> hate hauling out the sweeper just because of the litter, but otherwise the
> carpet looks messy after just a day or two. The particles are rather
> lightweight, I think lighter than clay litter. Wonder how it would do
> picking them up?

Chloe
July 9th 03, 08:22 PM
"Bonita and/or William F. Kale" > wrote in message
<snip>
> If it broke, I'd buy another, and I can't say better than that
> about any appliance. (But I really, really -hate- vacuuming.)
<snip>

Thanks. Now I'm *really* tempted, since I have no rugs with fringe or long
dog hair to deal with. Frugal angle: the price has dropped by half in six
months. Wonder how much cheaper they'll get?

Chloe
July 9th 03, 08:22 PM
"Bonita and/or William F. Kale" > wrote in message
<snip>
> If it broke, I'd buy another, and I can't say better than that
> about any appliance. (But I really, really -hate- vacuuming.)
<snip>

Thanks. Now I'm *really* tempted, since I have no rugs with fringe or long
dog hair to deal with. Frugal angle: the price has dropped by half in six
months. Wonder how much cheaper they'll get?

Mieko
July 9th 03, 09:18 PM
In article >, "Chloe" > wrote:
>"Bonita and/or William F. Kale" > wrote in message
><snip>
>> If it broke, I'd buy another, and I can't say better than that
>> about any appliance. (But I really, really -hate- vacuuming.)
><snip>
>
>Thanks. Now I'm *really* tempted, since I have no rugs with fringe or long
>dog hair to deal with. Frugal angle: the price has dropped by half in six
>months. Wonder how much cheaper they'll get?

Do you have a Bed Bath and Beyond near you that sends you those 20% off
coupons? If so, they have it for $200 -20% would be around $160.

I'm kinda sad that I have nice new tile that it only takes 3 minutes to dust
mop, otherwise I'd get one of these. The only thing I do have that's hard to
clean is rugs with fringe. :(

Mieko
July 9th 03, 09:18 PM
In article >, "Chloe" > wrote:
>"Bonita and/or William F. Kale" > wrote in message
><snip>
>> If it broke, I'd buy another, and I can't say better than that
>> about any appliance. (But I really, really -hate- vacuuming.)
><snip>
>
>Thanks. Now I'm *really* tempted, since I have no rugs with fringe or long
>dog hair to deal with. Frugal angle: the price has dropped by half in six
>months. Wonder how much cheaper they'll get?

Do you have a Bed Bath and Beyond near you that sends you those 20% off
coupons? If so, they have it for $200 -20% would be around $160.

I'm kinda sad that I have nice new tile that it only takes 3 minutes to dust
mop, otherwise I'd get one of these. The only thing I do have that's hard to
clean is rugs with fringe. :(

July 10th 03, 04:36 AM
I managed to get one frugally. In fact I managed to get one for free. I
used Mypoints.com to points that I transfered over to enough gift
ceritificates at Sharper Image to cover the price of the Roomba.

I love this little robot! My wife and kids love it too. All I need now is
the Robomower from Friendlymachines.com. The mower retails for $600. I'm
trying to figure out how to get it for close to nothing as well.

John

"Bonita and/or William F. Kale" > wrote in message

> Okay, a Roomba (automatic floor vacuum) isn't exactly frugal, but
> oh, do I love it. I spent $200 at Target rather than $160 on
> eBay, because I was afraid I'd want to bring it back, but no
> way.
>
> This thing does for floor sweeping what automatic washers do for
> laundry; you can set it and forget it, and later the floor is
> swept.
>
> It's cute, too, like a little flying saucer bumping its way
> around your floor. It's got a tiny little dirt compartment
> that's very easy to empty because the whole compartment comes out
> and will fit in a plastic bag. I use an old toothbrush on the
> lint filter.
>
> There must be -some- way it's frugal. Compared to a maid,
> maybe?
>
> Actually, what I'm hoping is that I'll have a cleaner house, not
> a huge ambition.

July 10th 03, 04:36 AM
I managed to get one frugally. In fact I managed to get one for free. I
used Mypoints.com to points that I transfered over to enough gift
ceritificates at Sharper Image to cover the price of the Roomba.

I love this little robot! My wife and kids love it too. All I need now is
the Robomower from Friendlymachines.com. The mower retails for $600. I'm
trying to figure out how to get it for close to nothing as well.

John

"Bonita and/or William F. Kale" > wrote in message

> Okay, a Roomba (automatic floor vacuum) isn't exactly frugal, but
> oh, do I love it. I spent $200 at Target rather than $160 on
> eBay, because I was afraid I'd want to bring it back, but no
> way.
>
> This thing does for floor sweeping what automatic washers do for
> laundry; you can set it and forget it, and later the floor is
> swept.
>
> It's cute, too, like a little flying saucer bumping its way
> around your floor. It's got a tiny little dirt compartment
> that's very easy to empty because the whole compartment comes out
> and will fit in a plastic bag. I use an old toothbrush on the
> lint filter.
>
> There must be -some- way it's frugal. Compared to a maid,
> maybe?
>
> Actually, what I'm hoping is that I'll have a cleaner house, not
> a huge ambition.

Nance
July 10th 03, 05:18 AM
Yes, but if it does it every day, there wouldn't be much need for deep
cleaning as nothing much would be allowed to penetrate. No?

Nance

>>There's nothing wrong with it or anything, but the problem is, it
>>doesn't clean your carpet very well. It just picks up whatever dirt
>>is on the surface, and doesn't deep clean it at all.

Nance
July 10th 03, 05:18 AM
Yes, but if it does it every day, there wouldn't be much need for deep
cleaning as nothing much would be allowed to penetrate. No?

Nance

>>There's nothing wrong with it or anything, but the problem is, it
>>doesn't clean your carpet very well. It just picks up whatever dirt
>>is on the surface, and doesn't deep clean it at all.

Dennis
July 17th 03, 04:31 AM
> wrote in message >...
> I managed to get one frugally. In fact I managed to get one for free. I
> used Mypoints.com to points that I transfered over to enough gift
> ceritificates at Sharper Image to cover the price of the Roomba.
>
> I love this little robot! My wife and kids love it too. All I need now is
> the Robomower from Friendlymachines.com. The mower retails for $600. I'm
> trying to figure out how to get it for close to nothing as well.
>
> John
>
> "Bonita and/or William F. Kale" > wrote in message
> >
> > Okay, a Roomba (automatic floor vacuum) isn't exactly frugal, but
> > oh, do I love it. I spent $200 at Target rather than $160 on
> > eBay, because I was afraid I'd want to bring it back, but no
> > way.
> >
> > This thing does for floor sweeping what automatic washers do for
> > laundry; you can set it and forget it, and later the floor is
> > swept.
> >
> > It's cute, too, like a little flying saucer bumping its way
> > around your floor. It's got a tiny little dirt compartment
> > that's very easy to empty because the whole compartment comes out
> > and will fit in a plastic bag. I use an old toothbrush on the
> > lint filter.
> >
> > There must be -some- way it's frugal. Compared to a maid,
> > maybe?
> >
> > Actually, what I'm hoping is that I'll have a cleaner house, not
> > a huge ambition.

well, l like my Roomba a lot (in fact, its running right now). it
cleans carpets and hard floors quite well. There are some downsides,
at least in my experience:

1) it wraps up dog hair from our 1 long hair dog. I have to take the
Brushes out every couple of rooms to remove twisted hair on the
spindle. your dog may vary :)
2) one virtual wall isn't enough. I ended up with two more.
3) my wife hates the sound of it bumping into walls and furniture. she
thinks it has to be doing damage, though there is no evidence. I
don't mind at all, but it can "thud" as it runs.

I do like it, but its not perfect.

Dennis
July 17th 03, 04:31 AM
> wrote in message >...
> I managed to get one frugally. In fact I managed to get one for free. I
> used Mypoints.com to points that I transfered over to enough gift
> ceritificates at Sharper Image to cover the price of the Roomba.
>
> I love this little robot! My wife and kids love it too. All I need now is
> the Robomower from Friendlymachines.com. The mower retails for $600. I'm
> trying to figure out how to get it for close to nothing as well.
>
> John
>
> "Bonita and/or William F. Kale" > wrote in message
> >
> > Okay, a Roomba (automatic floor vacuum) isn't exactly frugal, but
> > oh, do I love it. I spent $200 at Target rather than $160 on
> > eBay, because I was afraid I'd want to bring it back, but no
> > way.
> >
> > This thing does for floor sweeping what automatic washers do for
> > laundry; you can set it and forget it, and later the floor is
> > swept.
> >
> > It's cute, too, like a little flying saucer bumping its way
> > around your floor. It's got a tiny little dirt compartment
> > that's very easy to empty because the whole compartment comes out
> > and will fit in a plastic bag. I use an old toothbrush on the
> > lint filter.
> >
> > There must be -some- way it's frugal. Compared to a maid,
> > maybe?
> >
> > Actually, what I'm hoping is that I'll have a cleaner house, not
> > a huge ambition.

well, l like my Roomba a lot (in fact, its running right now). it
cleans carpets and hard floors quite well. There are some downsides,
at least in my experience:

1) it wraps up dog hair from our 1 long hair dog. I have to take the
Brushes out every couple of rooms to remove twisted hair on the
spindle. your dog may vary :)
2) one virtual wall isn't enough. I ended up with two more.
3) my wife hates the sound of it bumping into walls and furniture. she
thinks it has to be doing damage, though there is no evidence. I
don't mind at all, but it can "thud" as it runs.

I do like it, but its not perfect.

Google