PDA

View Full Version : When someone dies...

Patricia
July 9th 03, 02:02 AM
Hi..

I hope this may be of some help. I found it on the net and there are
probably many more sites to read but it's a start.

Best,
Patricia
==========

Checklist: What To Do When Someone Dies
Prepared June 2002

What do I need to do now? That is the question I sometimes hear from clients
after the death of a loved one. The following matters should be considered
when a close friend or relative dies. Not all of the points will apply to
all Decedents, but many of them will. I have tried to put them into a
logical sequence, but as always, practical sense should prevail:

1. If a doctor is not present, notify a doctor or coroner in order to obtain
a death certificate.

2. If the death occurs at home, you may need to contact a local police
officer or coroner.

3. If the Decedent wished, a donation of body parts and tissues should be
considered.

4. Notify family and friends. You may want to consider having family members
contact others to save yourself some time on the phone during a stressful
period.

5. Look for instructions which the Decedent may have left regarding
preferences for funeral and burial arrangements.

6. Determine if the Decedent belonged to a burial or memorial society that
may make special arrangements for the funeral, such as military honor
guards.

7. Contact a funeral home concerning burial or cremation arrangements.

8. Complete funeral and burial arrangements.

9. Contact the Social Security Administration and any other government
agencies or benefit program that may be making payments to the Decedent.
(Note that the payment for the month of death will not be made by the Social
Security Administration and others.)

10. Review the Decedent¹s financial affairs and look for any estate planning
documents, such as Wills and Trusts, along with any other relevant
documents, including:

*

Funeral and Burial Plans;

*

Safe Deposit Agreements and keys;

*

Nuptial Agreements;

*

Life Insurance Policies;

*

Existence of Trust;

*

Pension-retirement benefits;

*

Old tax returns;

*

Prior Gift Tax returns;

*

Marriage, birth and death certificates;

*

Divorce documentation;

*

Computer records regarding books of a business or personal assets;

*

Bank statements, checkbooks, similar documents;

*

Notes receivable;

*

Titles to motor vehicles;

*

Leases;

*

Securities and list of securities;

*

Any documentation of business ownership or business interest;

*

Health Insurance, make claims for the final illness; and

*

Unpaid bills.

11. If there is a Will, take the Will to the appropriate County or City
office to have it accepted for probate.

12. Administering the Will - If the Will is properly drawn, it will name a
Personal Representative (also known as Executor or Executrix). The Personal
Representative, who can be an individual, a group of individuals or one or
more institutions, or a combination of the aforementioned, will be
responsible for the administration of the Estate of the Decedent.

13. If there is no Will and there are sufficient assets to probate
(typically, at least $15,000 in Virginia), then the Court will appoint an
administrator and the assets of the Decedent will be distributed according
to state law. This situation is referred to by some as ³having the state
write a Will for you.² All states have a set of laws relating to intestate
succession (transfer of property after dying without a Will), and the states
decide who gets which assets if someone dies without a Will.

14. If you are the Personal Representative or Successor Trustee of a Trust,
try to make a list of the assets owned by the Decedent or the Trust, in
order that they can be administered and distributed according to the wishes
of the Decedent.

15. Open a bank account for the estate of the Decedent. This should be done
early on and all receipts and disbursements should be recorded in that bank
account, in order to account properly for the assets of the Decedent and the
expenses of administration.

16. Probate is a process similar to that of accounting. The Personal
Representative is responsible for collecting* the assets and reporting to
the Court as to the amount of assets in the Estate of the Decedent. The
Personal Representative then assembles the assets and, after paying debts,
expenses and taxes, distributes the assets according to the wishes of the
Decedent. If the Decedent left no Will, the process of administration is
essentially the same, except that state law determines to whom the assets
are distributed. If everything is done correctly, eventually, after the
Personal Representative has accounted for and distributed the assets, the
Personal Representative is discharged.

17. Make an inventory of household goods, personal belongings and the like,
in order that they can be accounted for and properly distributed.

18. Look for insurance policies or annuities which may continue for other
family members and other assets.* Contact the Insurer with respect to any
current policies or annuities.

19. Try to assemble the deeds of the Decedent to see what real estate, if
any, is owned by the Decedent.* If real estate is owned in more than one
state, special proceedings, called "ancillary administrations," may be
needed in each state.

20. Determine if the Decedent owned any securities, stocks, bonds, mutual
funds, etc.

21. Retirement Plans, IRA accounts and similar retirement benefits involve
important choices which need to be made by certain beneficiaries,
particularly in regard to IRA accounts under recent IRS regulations. If
there are annuities, pension and profit sharing plans and interest of that
type, they may provide for joint payment to a surviving spouse or others.

22. If the Decedent controlled or was a principal person in a business, it
may be necessary to check to see if there are Buy-Sell Agreements under
which the interest of the Decedent would be purchased by the business entity
or other business owners.

23. If, after the appointment of a Personal Representative, a bank account
or safe deposit box is found, then the assets in the bank account or safe
deposit box need to be distributed according to the wishes of the Decedent.

24. If the Decedent was indebted to anyone, then the creditor needs to be
paid. If the creditors are not paid and they make a claim against the estate
after all of the assets are distributed, the Personal Representative may be
in trouble and held personally liable for the debt.

25. As part of the probate process, all family members within a certain
degree of kinship must be contacted, whether or not they receive assets from
the Estate of the Decedent.

26. In handling the affairs of a Decedent, do not be quick to make
distributions to family members or friends of the Decedent. Important
choices need to be made concerning such distributions and, of course, they
need to be in compliance with the Will or other instructions left by the
Decedent, not to mention any applicable tax laws.

27. The income taxes of the Decedent for the year of death need to be filed,
and any tax due must be paid. If there is a surviving spouse, the surviving
spouse and Decedent can file a joint return for the year of death.

28. If there is a Trust, particularly a Revocable Living Trust, it will
become irrevocable at the time of death, if not before. A separate tax
return, Form 1041, ³Fiduciary Income Tax Return,² needs to be filed for the
Trust or the Estate of the Decedent if income is received by the Estate or a
Trust.

29. If there are minor children and the Will provides for a guardian, then
the guardian needs to be informed and the children need to be placed in the
care of the guardian. If there are minor children and no guardian is
appointed, or if there is no Will, then the Court must appoint a guardian.

30. If there is real estate that is insured, the Personal Representative
should make sure that the insurance policies on the properties of the
Decedent are maintained.

31. Be deliberate and do not be hasty with decisions or distributions. The
death of someone, particularly a family member or friend, is stressful and
often if there are children of the Decedent around during the course of the
final illness, there may be disputes regarding the treatment or other
problems related to declining physical or mental abilities of the parent.
Stated differently, it is a time of frazzled nerves and irritable people, so
be very careful not to create schisms which can last for a very long time.

33. Watch out for people who prey upon families of Decedents. There are
people who look for death notices and make unfounded claims against the
Decedent. Some may also attempt to burglarize the home during the funeral
service. Be cautious about such matters; have someone stay at the home
during the funeral service and do not easily accept the claims of unknown
individuals that lack documentation.

34. If there is a surviving spouse, make sure veteran¹s benefits or other
"joint and survivor" benefits are collected by the surviving spouse. If you
need further assistance, call Dan Newland (800-553-6613). While this list is
rather extensive, no list can be 100% complete, so there is bound to be some
situation that has been overlooked or not adequately treated.

ares
July 9th 03, 02:28 AM
Very helpful, thanks!
ares

"Patricia" > wrote in message
> [...]
>
> 33. Watch out for people who prey upon families of Decedents. There are
> people who look for death notices and make unfounded claims against the
> Decedent. Some may also attempt to burglarize the home during the funeral
> service. Be cautious about such matters; have someone stay at the home
> during the funeral service and do not easily accept the claims of unknown
> individuals that lack documentation.
>
> 34. If there is a surviving spouse, make sure veteran¹s benefits or other
> "joint and survivor" benefits are collected by the surviving spouse. If
you
> need further assistance, call Dan Newland (800-553-6613). While this list
is
> rather extensive, no list can be 100% complete, so there is bound to be
some
> situation that has been overlooked or not adequately treated.

Dennis P. Harris
July 9th 03, 09:32 AM
On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 00:02:52 GMT in misc.consumers.frugal-living,
Patricia > wrote:

> 6. Determine if the Decedent belonged to a burial or memorial society that
> may make special arrangements for the funeral, such as military honor
> guards.

if the deceased was a veteran, she or he is entitled to a basic
funeral & burial paid for by the VA, as well as a free grave
marker.

http://www.cem.va.gov/burial.htm

it's about the only VA benefit left for most vets, since the
gummint has gotten stingy about the free medical care for life
that was promised to our vets.

Patricia > wrote:

> 6. Determine if the Decedent belonged to a burial or memorial society that
> may make special arrangements for the funeral, such as military honor
> guards.

if the deceased was a veteran, she or he is entitled to a basic
funeral & burial paid for by the VA, as well as a free grave
marker.

http://www.cem.va.gov/burial.htm

it's about the only VA benefit left for most vets, since the
gummint has gotten stingy about the free medical care for life
that was promised to our vets.

JonquilJan
July 9th 03, 06:36 PM
Just a note. Do NOT call the rescue squad or paramedics - if you are sure
the person has died. Perhaps it varies in other places but here (northern
New York) they MUST try to rescicutate (sp?) even if the person is obviously
dead.

And that procedure is traumatic for those in attendance.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

Patricia > wrote in message
> [...]
>
> 33. Watch out for people who prey upon families of Decedents. There are
> people who look for death notices and make unfounded claims against the
> Decedent. Some may also attempt to burglarize the home during the funeral
> service. Be cautious about such matters; have someone stay at the home
> during the funeral service and do not easily accept the claims of unknown
> individuals that lack documentation.
>
> 34. If there is a surviving spouse, make sure veteran¹s benefits or other
> "joint and survivor" benefits are collected by the surviving spouse. If
you
> need further assistance, call Dan Newland (800-553-6613). While this list
is
> rather extensive, no list can be 100% complete, so there is bound to be
some
> situation that has been overlooked or not adequately treated.

July 11th 03, 08:26 AM
On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 10:31:25 -0500 in
misc.consumers.frugal-living, L. Maurer >
wrote:

> VA hospitals still give free treatment for vets. You must follow the
> rules but it's there. I do know that there was a stop placed on new
> patients last year for a few months. My mother was a VA nurse until
> she retired.

that's fine unless you live in a rural area far from a VA
hospital. you used to be able to have your own doctor treat you
in those circumstances, but no longer.

i have a diabetic vet friend who must have a doctor visit every 3
months before getting new prescriptions for his meds, and he has
to fly 900 miles to seattle or anchorage, instead of going to his
local doctor, which was much cheaper for the VA.

wrote:

> VA hospitals still give free treatment for vets. You must follow the
> rules but it's there. I do know that there was a stop placed on new
> patients last year for a few months. My mother was a VA nurse until
> she retired.

that's fine unless you live in a rural area far from a VA
hospital. you used to be able to have your own doctor treat you
in those circumstances, but no longer.

i have a diabetic vet friend who must have a doctor visit every 3
months before getting new prescriptions for his meds, and he has
to fly 900 miles to seattle or anchorage, instead of going to his
local doctor, which was much cheaper for the VA.

Google